PDA

View Full Version : Harley question

M4arc
03-26-10, 13:48
I'm looking at either the new 2010 Iron 883 or the 2010 Forty-Eight. I realize that both of these are new models (by and large) but I know next to nothing about Harleys and want to know how the motors stack up. The advice I've been given so far suggest that I should stay away from the 883 and stick with the 1200. Is that true? What's been your experience?

I honestly think I'll be happy with both but I like the style of the Forty-Eight better but like how the 883 already has all the blacked out parts on it. But I'm worried about buying an 883 and figured I could buy the blacked out parts for the Forty-Eight eventually.

Forty Eight (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/xl1200x)

Iron 883 (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/family/SP)

theblackknight
03-26-10, 13:49
ha that iron 883 looks like a night train's little brother.

CyberM4
03-26-10, 13:54
Are you sure you want a sportty? Are you going to keep the motor stock? Or more HP?

M4arc
03-26-10, 13:59

I liked the Night Train first but after seeing these other two I decided I need a Harley :cool:

Are you sure you want a sportty? Are you going to keep the motor stock? Or more HP?

I really don't like the other, bigger bike, styles. As far as keeping the motor stock I'll assume so but you never know. I can't see me needing more HP than what the 1200 already delivers. If I wanted HP and speed I'd stick with a sport bike.

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 14:10

Close. It's the Nightster's little brother. The Nightster is a 1200 Sportster. The Night Train is a Softail ;)

I was looking had at the Forty Eight myself. If you haven't had a chance to ride a Sportster yet, I'd try to demo one before buying. IF you plan on more than barhopping/short cruises around town the sportsters may feel a little cramped.

If you have your heart set on one of those 2 bikes, it would have to be the Forty Eight hands down (love the wide glide front end). Yeah. Gotta love the Forty Eight.

It inspired a few of the recent changes to my Suzuki C50:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5043/img0194p.jpg

lethal dose
03-26-10, 14:15
how tall are you and how much do you weigh? not trying to get fresh... but the 883 IS small. :cool:

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:16
Good question! I'm not a big guy; 5'5" & 130lbs. My wife is only 5'4" & 105 so we just need something to cruise around town on but I'd mostly be riding it by myself.

BTW, if I get a Harley can I call her my old lady? :D

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 14:21
Good question! I'm not a big guy; 5'5" & 130lbs. My wife is only 5'4" & 105 so we just need something to cruise around town on but I'd mostly be riding it by myself.

I'd say that's entirely up to her. Before you ask, consider 3 things:
1) How hard does she hit?
2) How well does she shoot?
3) How comfortable is the couch?

lethal dose
03-26-10, 14:22
woah. yeah... the 883 would suit you just fine, li'l guy. ;) i'd still go 1200, if i were you. i have ridden my buddy's 883. not bad around town... it has drag bars and fwd controls. but at 6'2" and 205 lbs... it's a little rough when the going gets tough. :cool:

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:22
woah. yeah... the 883 would suit you just fine, li'l guy. ;) i'd still go 1200, if i were you.

Yeah I'm small which is why I'm really only interested in the Sportster sized bikes. Would the Forty-Eight be fine for me and the wife if we wanted to cruise around town or take it out for a spin in the evenings?

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:23
I'd say that's entirely up to her. Before you ask, consider 3 things:
1) How hard does she hit?
2) How well does she shoot?
3) How comfortable is the couch?

BBBWWWWAAAAHHHAAAHHHAAA!

Good one! :D

lethal dose
03-26-10, 14:23
Close. It's the Nightster's little brother. The Nightster is a 1200 Sportster. The Night Train is a Softail ;)

I was looking had at the Forty Eight myself. If you haven't had a chance to ride a Sportster yet, I'd try to demo one before buying. IF you plan on more than barhopping/short cruises around town the sportsters may feel a little cramped.

If you have your heart set on one of those 2 bikes, it would have to be the Forty Eight hands down (love the wide glide front end). Yeah. Gotta love the Forty Eight.

It inspired a few of the recent changes to my Suzuki C50:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5043/img0194p.jpg

dude... that is a righteous build. +1

lethal dose
03-26-10, 14:26
the 48 will suit your every need. looks like a slick bike. just make sure you get a seat that will accommodate her... not insinuating that your woman is large... but the 48 DOES come with a solo seat.

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:28
the 48 will suit your every need. looks like a slick bike. just make sure you get a seat that will accommodate her... not insinuating that your woman is large... but the 48 DOES come with a solo seat.

I've already priced it out with the Badlander seat installed.

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 14:30
dude... that is a righteous build. +1

Thanks. For the first year I had just about every chrome piece you could think of on it. Then I decided I'd rather ride than polish... :cool:

lethal dose
03-26-10, 14:33

you're one step ahead!

rob_s
03-26-10, 14:43
I had a 1200 Sportster (the 1200 "sport" model which was kind of a hybrid Buell type engine) and my ex had an 883 hugger. I was surprised at the difference in getup and go between the bikes. Based on that I can't recommend anyone the 883 bikes.

I really, really like that forty-eight. it remind me of the Exile bikes that I like so much.

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:48
Go with the 1200. I have one and it is the smallest i would want to go. And don't forget to put some really loud pipes on her :D

Absolutely! :D

luxor
03-26-10, 14:49
Go with the 1200. I have one and it is the smallest i would want to go. And don't forget to put some really loud pipes on her :D

Warhawk
03-26-10, 14:54
The difference between an 883 and a 1200 is the bore size, and it's very easy to upgrade an 883 to a 1200. The other differences are that the 883 is geared shorter, and the 1200 will have more chrome.

Take a look at the custom models, they have a larger tank and come with forward controls, and a 2 up seat. Since '04 or '05 the Sportsters have been rubber mounted, which gets rid of most of the felt vibration. The older sportys were paint shakers.

My Brother had an '05 883 low for a while. I never had any interest in Sportsters until I rode his, it was very nice and would make an excellent around town and short distance bike.

EDIT: I forgot that I have ridden a friend's 883 Custom, not sure what year but it's new enough to have fuel injection. It's a very nice bike.

JOHNO
03-26-10, 14:56
Marc, definately go with the 1200 if you get a Sportster.....................and the fortyeight is an awsome looking bike!

But,................check out a Dyna before you make your move. Most of the People I know who started out with a Sportster were soon wishing they went with a Dyna or Softtail.

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:58
Marc, definately go with the 1200 if you get a Sportster.....................and the fortyeight is an awsome looking bike!

But,................check out a Dyna before you make your move. Most of the People I know who started out with a Sportster were soon wishing they went with a Dyna or Softtail.

JOHNO, thanks for the advice bro. I really like this Dyna (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/fxdwg/gallery). (The black one with black pipes)

However I'd have to see one in person as I might like the ass to manhandle it.

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:04
Trust me,.................you won't have to man handle it. Pick the bike you want then you can "Fit" it to you.

I have an 09 Superglide, I've lowered it a little and run forward controls. I really love that bike!

Here's a pic of it after I brought it home, I've made a few changes since then.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/041-1.jpg

rob_s
03-26-10, 15:04
Just for fun, side by side pics

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/hdboth-1.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/hd48.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/hd883.jpg

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:08
Good job Rob, I had'nt noticed the forward controls on the fortyeight until you posted the pics.

How do you Guys like the "Denim" paint? I was'nt too crazy about it at first but its growing on me.

rob_s
03-26-10, 15:09
Seeing them side by side like that I like the 48 even more, and don't really see much black on the iron that's not black on the 48.

FWIW, I bought my "sport" because of the extra blacked out and matte parts, I didn't know anything about the engine at the time.

This is pretty much exactly what mine looked like. I forgot it had that crossover pipe in addition to the extra plugs in through the top of the cylinders.

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/2001xl1200s.jpg

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 15:10
I really, really like that forty-eight. it remind me of the Exile bikes that I like so much.

Rob, I'm liking you more and more, but you really didn't have to put up those pictures of the Forty Eight. I just got my bike to where I like it. Seriously dude. :D

rob_s
03-26-10, 15:10
How do you Guys like the "Denim" paint? I was'nt too crazy about it at first but its growing on me.

I absolutely love it, even more in person, as long as it's not blue.

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:12
What year was it?

I used to change out the pipes first thing to get away from the crossover pipe, but now with the fuel injection its a major pain to swap pipes. My Dyna has a "hidden" crossover that I can live with.

lethal dose
03-26-10, 15:14
i love the mirrors on the 48.

PdxMotoxer
03-26-10, 15:15
My first "bike" back in the day was a FXSTC (Softail custom)
IMHO i would say stick with the 1200.
Not to be rude and just speaking honestly among the larger motor riders
the 883's can be what's known as "chick bikes".
lol (not to all but i have heard them called that)

Kinda like back when honda Crx's where called chick cars. (even though i had guy friends that drove em' and i mean mma fighting tough guy's)

I just sold my custom ride a few months back.........
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/l_11b0507889ff0cbd436679b6664369-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/l_3558c6e528e47.jpg
So it's been a few years i have been away from the stock models, meaning I'm not a go-to guy on performance and what Harley has changed motor wise and ride in the last few years.

But like ya said if it was all about motor you'd be looking at a Ducati or BMW
and if it were all performance An R1, R6, GSXR ect.....

If the larger softtail's are not your thing then You might want to try sitting on a
Dyna model.
But for your size i think you would be fine with a 1200 model.

*again i didn't mean to offend anyone who might own/ride an 883*

Nathan_Bell
03-26-10, 15:16
Yeah I'm small which is why I'm really only interested in the Sportster sized bikes. Would the Forty-Eight be fine for me and the wife if we wanted to cruise around town or take it out for a spin in the evenings?

The sportsters are actually a bit more work to ride than a softtail, the sporties' high center of gravity isn't fun. At least on the standard packages they are a bit 'tippier' at an early point. Friend's mom has a sportster and a softail, and a wideglide. If a 5'6" 62 yo woman can handle the larger bikes....

rob_s
03-26-10, 15:16
48 my way

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/hd48rs.jpg

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:21
They really have come a long way with the Sporties in the past couple years, several caught my eye at Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson last week.

Rob, do you have a current pic of yours?

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 15:21
Good job Rob, I had'nt noticed the forward controls on the fortyeight until you posted the pics.

I like it, but, speaking as someone that used to work at one of the largest Harley dealerships in the world (Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona (http://www.brucerossmeyer.com/)), it is difficult to keep the paint pristine. In fact, it is designed to show wear (think of scuff marks on anodizing), but it scratches easily and it's a bitch to touch up. Harley had a TSB out a while back about the proper method for treating/maintaining denim paints (i.e. HD spray wax). I've seen people try using regular wax and they destroyed the paint, kind of like getting paste wax on rubber or plastic trim on your car.

LMarshall73
03-26-10, 15:25
48 my way

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/cars/hd48rs.jpg

Effing-A. I had mine spec'd the same, but with a Badlander seat.

I have to go listen to Dave Ramsey now and think about where to ride my Zuk when I get home...:D

M4arc
03-26-10, 15:27
JOHNO - I like the Forty-Eight but will check out the Dynas when I visit the Harley dealer. Up to now I've been putting it off and doing my research online. I fear that once I step into the dealership I'll be at the point of no return :D

Rob, thanks for the pictures!

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:28
You Guys need to come ride in my back yard........................Deals Gap, North Georgia, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. :D

PdxMotoxer
03-26-10, 15:30
As for size Marc, you would have no issues handling a DYNA.
They are so balanced the do sorta ride themselves.
I agree the higher sitting sporty would be tougher to manage at super slow speeds.

As you can tell i'm for a a fan of all the chrome. :cool:

I've just never had a thing for orange or those other odd colors Harley tried out.

Also: I'd say take your time and don't let a dealer push off on you what he thinks you will like.
(or something he is trying to get off his showroom floor)
Hopefully this is something you will be owning for many years.

Not sure where you live but try a couple of dealers and sit on as many as you can to see what "feels right" for you.

Nathan_Bell
03-26-10, 15:32
JOHNO - I like the Forty-Eight but will check out the Dynas when I visit the Harley dealer. Up to now I've been putting it off and doing my research online. I fear that once I step into the dealership I'll be at the point of no return :D

Don't take your license with you. No test drive and no way to do paperwork:cool:

Have fun with your search.

JOHNO
03-26-10, 15:35

Go check them out, do more on-line research and check e-bay motors and Craigslist. There are a lot of really good deals on used bikes right now but they'll start going up soon. Another thing to keep in mind, the 2011 models will be out in June or July and a lot of the Dealers still have new 09s on the floor.

PdxMotoxer
03-26-10, 15:39
Oh i love that "Don't take your license" there is no way they can talk you into paperwork.

lmao that's great!! Why didn't i think of that when we were looking at new SUV's.. :confused:

PlatoCATM
03-26-10, 15:47
Have you ridden either of these, or at least something close to it? When I was in the market, I rode my brother's 1200 and found it to be a perfect fit, and its foot controls were more forward than on an 883. I'm of a similar size as you, and I thought the 883 was cramped when I tooled around on a buddy's.

I ended up buying a Vulcan 900C for almost half as much as the Harley quote (through AAFES), and now all I need is some more pulled-back handlebars and I will be set.

Just make sure the controls are right for you unless you want to drop some coin into fitting it with aftermarket parts. Rent one if you have to. Aftermarket parts and upgrades are fun, but they can drain the bank pretty fast.

CyberM4
03-26-10, 16:08

Your wife will be your ole lady. When I bought my Low rider in 98 it was stock. After I put the stage one kit in. The Bike was faster. When riding with my wife. Plus made a big differance when passing with two riding.

CyberM4
03-26-10, 16:14
JOHNO, thanks for the advice bro. I really like this Dyna (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/fxdwg/gallery). (The black one with black pipes)

However I'd have to see one in person as I might like the ass to manhandle it.

Go too your local harley dealer and sit on a few bikes you like. Then ask if they have any demos.

orionz06
03-26-10, 16:58
I am only 5'6" and I feel that the sportsers are too small. At the moment, a sportster is more of a bike than I have, but I would strongly second the Dyna for sure.

dhrith
03-26-10, 17:15
Back in the miltary when I weighed all of 168 I owned an XLH1000 and would recomend the 1200 to you for the two up riding. It'll be alot more for you without killing you if...scratch that, ..when.... it falls over on you. ;p 883's are just silly small. OH, and ditch the peanut tank. ;p

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/harley-davidson/1980/17557_0_1_2_xls%201000%20roadster_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidson_xls_1000_roadster_1980.php

There's a 3.5 on a 1000 pretty close to what I had.

User Name
03-26-10, 18:06
I like the 48 a lot myself. It is a great addition to the dark series. I'd go with the 1200cc the 883 is a dog. Even for me the 1200cc would be a starting point. I'd put a Zippers Performance Torkster kit on it :D. I like my Harley to be as fast as it is loud.

S-1
03-26-10, 20:37
My first Harley was a Nightster (1200N). I had it for about 5 months before I was ready for a bigger bike. If you're looking to do any 2-up riding with the lady, the Nightster, Iron and 48 are not the bikes for you. They have about 2 inches of suspension travel and you'll bottom out constantly. I had done several modifications to the bike, including changing out the shocks to Progressive HD models. While it helped a little, it didn't fix the clearance issues, and I'm 5-7 165 lbs. The bike was also very cramped with 2 people and sluggish.

I would recommend looking at the Dyna's or Softails. The Street Bob and Fat Bob are pretty cool and "blacked out." There are tons of great deals on used bikes right now, and I bet you can get a slightly used Night Train (Softail), which btw, is the true flagship bike of the "Dark Custom" line and is the best model that HD has produced, IMO. They disco'd them for 2010 (HUGE mistake) but there are plenty of used ones.

Here is my '07 Night Train. I have it lowered 2" in the rear (looks much better) and my wife and I have yet to bottom out.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9889/train10.jpg

JOHNO
03-26-10, 20:45
Man,.............thats simply Beautiful!

Gutshot John
03-26-10, 20:57
Man you can get a Harley these days for a song.

M4arc
03-26-10, 21:08
My first Harley was a Nightster (1200N). I had it for about 5 months before I was ready for a bigger bike. If you're looking to do any 2-up riding with the lady, the Nightster, Iron and 48 are not the bikes for you. They have about 2 inches of suspension travel and you'll bottom out constantly. I had done several modifications to the bike, including changing out the shocks to Progressive HD models. While it helped a little, it didn't fix the clearance issues, and I'm 5-7 165 lbs. The bike was also very cramped with 2 people and sluggish.

I would recommend looking at the Dyna's or Softails. The Street Bob and Fat Bob are pretty cool and "blacked out." There are tons of great deals on used bikes right now, and I bet you can get a slightly used Night Train (Softail), which btw, is the true flagship bike of the "Dark Custom" line and is the best model that HD has produced, IMO. They disco'd them for 2010 (HUGE mistake) but there are plenty of used ones.

Here is my '07 Night Train. I have it lowered 2" in the rear (looks much better) and my wife and I have yet to bottom out.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9889/train10.jpg

Damnit man! That bike is sweet!

I can see that I might need to back up and take a broader look at the Harleys because I'm finding more and more models that I like.

Like this one or example:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/Softtailcustom.jpg

My wife really like this one!

JOHNO
03-26-10, 21:21
You're hooked,.........................I can see a trip to the local Harley Shop in your near future! :D

eBay is a good place for HD Leathers. :D

M4arc
03-26-10, 21:26
You're hooked,.........................I can see a trip to the local Harley Shop in your near future! :D

eBay is a good place for HD Leathers. :D

Tomorrow, right after my son's hockey game (but before his baseball game). There's a HD dealer less than a mile from the hockey rink.

If you guys see my flooding the EE with guns you'll know I bought something and that the wife is pissed! :D

FlyingHunter
03-26-10, 21:37
You will never regret buying a Harley. I drove a new 48 in Daytona on a 9 mile course at bike week a few weeks ago - awesome ride, very balanced. I personally drive a Dyna Lowrider and agree with most of the M4 gang posting in this thread - go with the bigger motor. Both bikes look awesome but the 48 with its 1200 motor will be more comfortable, safer e.g. faster getting away from a problem such as bad drivers, more stable in the wind - please, for the love of god, don't slap a windshield on this style of bike. Either way - welcome to the family of HD Riders - its a good place. Good luck with the decision and purchase.

JOHNO
03-26-10, 21:39
If you guys see my flooding the EE with guns you'll know I bought something and that the wife is pissed! :D

When my Wife found out She was pregnant with our Son I had to make a couple promises................. Motorcycles was one of them. Our Son turned 10 in December and I figured 10 years was long enough for a promise like that and I mentioned how bad I missed riding. She said "Well,..........sell some guns".............so I did, found a Harley, bought it and called and gave her a heads up before She got home that night. She got over it quick enough :D

floresb
03-27-10, 07:08
I'd suggest riding both. My recommendation is to go with the bigger motor. You will enjoy the wind in your face and the smile on your face. I can't emphasize enough the difference in my temperment a good ride in the morning to work brings! Good luck

LtlBear
03-27-10, 08:22
883 is a no go. I rode a 883 once and my Heritage Softail was easier to handle because of the center of gravity. Top heavy, tall for short people, and not enough power.
1200 is a must and the smallest motor you should consider.
Two best bikes for short people, I have a 28" inseam, are the Dyna Lowrider and the Softail Deluxe.

Right now is the time to buy used. A lot of garage jewelry out there at a cheap price. Could save 5K over a new one. Pick up a used low mileage Dyna for the price of that new 1200.

PdxMotoxer
03-27-10, 08:45
I'm actually happy for you.
This being the first time in longer than i care to remember I don't own
some type of motorcycle (or rolling chassis) and i miss that feeling floresb was
talking about.

No matter what you pick or end up with the fun or riding is awesome

But the feeling and roar of riding a harley is tough to explain to someone who never has.

Not sure if anyone asked but have you ever rode a street bike?

.357sigger
03-27-10, 08:57
You should check out cycle trader. There are tons of bikes on there...

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-Harley-Davidson-FXSTB-NIGHT-TRAIN-96563814

Nathan_Bell
03-27-10, 09:24
You should check out cycle trader. There are tons of bikes on there...

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-Harley-Davidson-FXSTB-NIGHT-TRAIN-96563814

We call our area's printed Cycletrader, Harleytrader, as it is 1/2 -2/3 Harleys for sale. Last time I took the time to count, 78 pages were Harleys out of 120 total.

DrMark
03-27-10, 13:00
Tomorrow, right after my son's hockey game (but before his baseball game). There's a HD dealer less than a mile from the hockey rink.

Remember, my house is on your way home from the HD dealer!

I give friends like you 50 cents on the dollar for guns!

:D

ST911
03-27-10, 14:34
I've always wanted a Harley, but I don't have a pickup to haul it around in. ;)

ra2bach
03-27-10, 15:57
883?

they make those bikes in men's sizes too, ya know...

:p

Colo.TJ
03-27-10, 18:33
Damn you. Now you got me thinking I need the 1200. Nicest factory Harley I've ever seen.

JOHNO
03-28-10, 08:34
Well Marc...................how'd it go? :D

M4arc
05-08-10, 12:35
Well Marc...................how'd it go? :D

Well it took me a while to get up enough nerve to go to the dealership here in VB.

The Misses and I have a tentative deal in place and with less than two months to go until the end of our fiscal year and my bonuses I decided it was time to go and check these bad boys out in person.

My son and I stopped in and check out their current inventory which is pretty thin but they had the Forty Eight which I really like and a few Softails and Dynas. None of the Softtails interest me and the Dyna Super Glide wasn't very exciting.

They didn't have any Wide Glides in stock which is what I was really interested in. However I might have to give up the Dyna idea because those beast are wide. With my height and inseam I'm not sure I could straddle them and still be able to put both feet firmly on the ground.

So for now, until I learn more, it looks like the Forty Eight is the front runner

kry226
05-08-10, 13:39
I've been in the same boat. I have owned two Harleys (Fat Boy and Street Glide) and ridden three others (1200 Sportster, Softail Deluxe, and I am currently babysitting a Dyna Low Rider for my buddy who is on his way to Korea for two years).

Like we say here A LOT: Buy once, cry once. I actually think this is more important when it comes to Harleys, for the obvious cash reasons. My Fat Boy was everything I wanted in a bike...before I actually knew what I wanted. After the novelty of owning a Harley wears off, it's just a bike. I found the bike I wanted in the Street Glide: ABS brakes (life saver...had it kick in three different times), cruise control (if you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing), radio/mp3 player (frickin' awesome), fairing, bags. It's definitely the coolest of the touring bikes so you don't look like a geezer.

By the way, don't let your stature keep you from what you perceive as bigger bikes. Of all the bikes I have ridden, the Sportster and the Low Rider had the highest-feeling seat heights, and were the most uncomfortable to ride, and I am 5'9".

I guess my point to all of this is to find out what you really want and buy that. If that's the Sporty, Dyna, etc., fine. But buyer's remorse is almost sinful with a Harley as you lose your rear end on a trade-up. I was so lucky as the dealership manager gave me full private retail on the Fat Boy toward the Street Glide, plus about $700 under MSRP for the SG. That's definitely the exception, not the rule.

If you can, and if you haven't already, ride a few different types to see what fits your style as far as amenities go. There's a big $$ difference between the Sporty and the Street Glide, but for me, the $$ saved would never have covered the loss of everything the bigger bike had to offer. Sorry for writing a book, but I hope this helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/kry226/2006%20Fat%20Boy/2006FatBoyLongshotscropped.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/kry226/2008FLHXStreetGlide002.jpg

CyberM4
05-08-10, 14:03
The 2011s will start coming in August.

kry226
05-08-10, 15:30
The 2011s will start coming in August.

Waiting for the dealer meeting... :D

M4arc
05-08-10, 15:41
By the way, don't let your stature keep you from what you perceive as bigger bikes. Of all the bikes I have ridden, the Sportster and the Low Rider had the highest-feeling seat heights, and were the most uncomfortable to ride, and I am 5'9".

Thanks for the info dude! I'm concerned about the size from a height perspective but from a width one. Those beast are wide! I didn't sit on one and I definitely will before the final decision is made and a dollar is spent but looking at them today had me wondering.

I do know that I'm not a Street Glide kind of guy and that I don't want an 883 so I'm narrowing it down! :)

kry226
05-08-10, 16:29
Thanks for the info dude! I'm concerned about the size from a height perspective but from a width one. Those beast are wide! I didn't sit on one and I definitely will before the final decision is made and a dollar is spent but looking at them today had me wondering.

I do know that I'm not a Street Glide kind of guy and that I don't want an 883 so I'm narrowing it down! :)

No problem. I had buyer's remorse with the Fat Boy and it made me want to vomit. I don't want anyone to have to go through that.

I am certainly not trying to steer you toward any specific bike, but I also didn't think I was a bagger guy until I got on one. Now you can call me a geezer if you want, but tunes and cruise control are the heat.

I just want you to get the right bike. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kyle

rob_s
05-08-10, 17:34
The wind and noise, and NOT having even the option of a radio are what I liked most about the HD I had. If I wanted to hide from the wind, tote shit, and listen to the radio I'd drive a car.

Nothing against "baggers" I just don't get the point. We have some obnoxious twit that lives down the road that had an HD bagger and now some kind of Honda and he goes motoring around with the bad old-dude rock blaring thinking he's cool but looking like a complete tool.

I'm interested in the new Sporties because they are finally rubber mounted, which mine wasn't. Vibes on the long rides were the only thing that got me down on my bike, and that was pretty much entirely a hand numbness issue. Without that I could have ridden all day long. Plus the smaller tank forces breaks to fill up more often. :D

M4arc
05-08-10, 17:56
No problem. I had buyer's remorse with the Fat Boy and it made me want to vomit. I don't want anyone to have to go through that.

I am certainly not trying to steer you toward any specific bike, but I also didn't think I was a bagger guy until I got on one. Now you can call me a geezer if you want, but tunes and cruise control are the heat.

I just want you to get the right bike. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kyle

I appreciate the advice and I'm glad I've got you bros looking for me!

I'm definitely not a saddle bag or windscreen type of guy and would probably ride it in town, on the weekends. Maybe take the Misses out when the weather is nice.

Of course I say that now...

HD1911
05-08-10, 18:51
I guess i'm not one to ask about Harley's...since I went the Victory Vegas route and never regretted it :D

My family has had tons of Harley's though...all nice bikes. What is it they say about a harley? The most efficient machine for turning Fuel into Noise without the By-product of Horsepower..... ;)

rob_s
05-08-10, 19:33
Is Victory still making bikes? I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road, and the only dealership I knew of didn't have any last time I was in there.

luckybychoice
05-08-10, 20:31
Victorys are doing fine as far as i know,i had bought one in 2001,we parted company in 2005,extremely reliable bike,i'm sure that's one of the reasons Harley kicked the motor up to 96 cubic inchs,because Victorys were at 92 CI. I've got almost 40 yrs on two wheels,almost all on HD,as far as the two bikes go,the 48 has what you will want if you go with the 883.Then there is my buds bike that is far sale right now,an 883 that has been punched out to 108hp.

Don Robison
05-08-10, 20:46

Save yourself the trouble and stay away from HD brand seats. Pay the money and get a C&C, Corbin, Mustang etc.

One of the most popular mods to the 883 is the 1200 upgrade.;)

I love the styling of both bikes you're looking at, but unless I wanted to put out the cash for the 1200 kit I would buy a Nightster. Off the line the Nightster will out perform the bigger bikes, but falls short over the distance. The only upgrades I would bother with are a good seat, a Power Commander V and a decent set of pipes. None of this cheap drag pipe crap, but a quality set of Bassani, Rinehart, or even V&H.

Here is my current bike a 2008 Dyna.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Donr101395/DSC000352-1-1.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Donr101395/DSC00036-1-1.jpg

kry226
05-08-10, 20:55
The wind and noise, and NOT having even the option of a radio are what I liked most about the HD I had. If I wanted to hide from the wind, tote shit, and listen to the radio I'd drive a car.

Nothing against "baggers" I just don't get the point. We have some obnoxious twit that lives down the road that had an HD bagger and now some kind of Honda and he goes motoring around with the bad old-dude rock blaring thinking he's cool but looking like a complete tool.

I'm interested in the new Sporties because they are finally rubber mounted, which mine wasn't. Vibes on the long rides were the only thing that got me down on my bike, and that was pretty much entirely a hand numbness issue. Without that I could have ridden all day long. Plus the smaller tank forces breaks to fill up more often. :D

Understood. But to each his own. It's a different type of ride for everyone. Back when diesel was $5 bucks a gallon, I was doing a lot of commuting, and the fairing did wonders at 40 degrees on my way in to the post for PT. Plus it's not like the military just "lets you ride." You need about 16 different pieces of protective gear, reflective belts/vests, etc. Plus, as a CO, I had a metric ton of stuff to tote back and forth. Bags just made sense.

I also like to ride on the weekends and with a cyst and torn ligament in my throttle hand/wrist, it was misery after an hour on the Fat Boy.

Man, I do sound like a geezer. :p

Bottom line is to buy what suits the person, regardless of which bike that happens to be. Buying the wrong bike is kind of like slapping down $1k on a Bushmaster, and then finding M4C the next day... x 20. Kind of gives you that sick feeling inside. ;)

markdh720
05-08-10, 20:58
One of the larger Harley dealers in my region is only a mile from my house, so I like to go in there often and tease myself knowing I need to upgrade my daily ride before I indulge in a bike. Bike season is short of five months in IL if you can tough out the temps in the fifties. It's hard being young and the sole income earner with a wife and child and other "priorities". Boooooring. ;)

I was looking at the Forty-Eights until I sat on a Crossbones (Softail) and a Street Bob (Dyna). Both feel like I'm straddling a dreamy cloud. I'm 6' 230lbs for what it's worth.

Don Robison
05-08-10, 20:59
Understood. But to each his own. It's a different type of ride for everyone. Back when diesel was $5 bucks a gallon, I was doing a lot of commuting, and the fairing did wonders at 40 degrees on my way in to the post for PT. Plus it's not like the military just "lets you ride." You need about 16 different pieces of protective gear, reflective belts/vests, etc. Plus, as a CO, I had a metric ton of stuff to tote back and forth. Bags just made sense.

I also like to ride on the weekends and with a cyst and torn ligament in my throttle hand/wrist, it was misery after an hour on the Fat Boy.

Man, I do sound like a geezer. :p

Bottom line is to buy what suits the person, regardless of which bike that happens to be. Buying the wrong bike is kind of like slapping down $1k on a Bushmaster, and then finding M4C the next day... x 20. Kind of gives you that sick feeling inside. ;)

I put about 8K a year on the bike and freely admit that sometimes I wish I had one of them geezer glides...............usually on a 40* day when I get caught in the rain.:eek:

HD1911
05-08-10, 21:14
Yeah Victory is still making bikes Rob...I love most Harley's but the Victory would flat out leave a Harley as long as it wasn't stroked and cammed. Imho they sounded a lil better to. I miss those days. I left the cruiser world and got hooked into track riding Crotch Rockets! :D

Here's my Vegas. It was an 04.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/HD1911/Pict0006.jpg

bullseye
05-09-10, 10:05
i came within a 1/2" of buying a sportster 1200 in 2007,, got a triumph bonneville america [885 cc] instead. that is seriously a fine lightweight bike, to ride the rural areas with. [i also have a yamaha FJR sport-tourer]. got to give it to harley anymore, they make really high-quality, reliable bikes ,,,and they sho'nuff look good. just something about those english bikes for me though...

rob_s
05-09-10, 10:34
I was the opposite, but it was 2000 and the Boneville was too new and too under-supported for me at the time. Things are slightly better now, but I'm still not sure where the closest Triumph dealer is to me. I really like the Daytona 675 and would love to have one of those.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/Daytona675_2010_rhs_jetblack_534x309.jpg

KellyTTE
05-09-10, 10:37
http://goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Just sayin.. ;)

rob_s
05-09-10, 10:44
http://goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Just sayin.. ;)

I'm surprised this kind of horseshit didn't surface earlier frankly. Like every douchebag squid rushing to be an organ donor isn't a little-dick poser wannabe interested in anything other than image, and using pathetic claims about "performance" as a bullshit excuse to act like a prick and show off for his similarly small-endowed buddies?

KellyTTE
05-09-10, 10:49
Yup, I don't ride anymore so I don't care one way or another, but he makes a good point in that Harley has been very resistant to anything resembling progress in a long time.

bullseye
05-09-10, 10:58
another little discussed fact about harley's,, when the motorcycle industry went slam flat in the late 70's-early 80's, and you couldn't give a bike away, harley just about single-handedly re-invigorated the market. people can make all the "harley-rider" jokes they want [and we britishbike riders do too] and slam harley's bikes, but the hard-core fact is they make as high-quality bikes as anyone, anymore. and i might add,,,, a damn good-looking one at that.

M4arc
04-15-11, 22:00
Well guys it's been almost a year since I started looking at Harleys and I think the time has finally come!

I stopped by my local dealer a few weeks ago and checked out the Wide Glide. Yesterday Momma and I went out to lunch then stopped by the dealership and she really seemed to like it. We sat on it (she's not happy about her seat) and she liked it. She loved the women's jackets, helmets and boots so I think I'm going to pull the plug in a few weeks and buy one. This is what I've settled on:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/2010_HD_OEM_Dyna_Wide_Glide_TR3_6723.jpg

I gotta tell you I'm pretty excited. I'm going to schedule a test ride before I put down any money but I'm certain this is the bike I want. It should be because I've been thinking about it for a year! :D

DrMark
04-15-11, 22:08
Good stuff Marc!

Great looking bike.

Belmont31R
04-15-11, 22:16
Make sure you get your lady some proper riding clothes. Seems to be fashionable around here to have a chicky on the back in shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt.

I always rode in at least over ankle boots, long pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet.

I had this bike in Germany. Got rid of it after starting a family and coming back stateside. I'd lose my license here if I rode the way I could there.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/Picture20133-1.jpg

warpigM-4
04-15-11, 22:17
Good job man .I rode My 883 for about 6 years before selling it. always remember Be safe ,watch for the Morons on the phone and their Music blasting and most of all have FUN!!!!!!!:D me and the wife and a after shot i had a friend paint it

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/DSC00346.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/199836_5871948291_530093291_219490_1329_n.jpg

orionz06
04-16-11, 06:25
Well guys it's been almost a year since I started looking at Harleys and I think the time has finally come!

I stopped by my local dealer a few weeks ago and checked out the Wide Glide. Yesterday Momma and I went out to lunch then stopped by the dealership and she really seemed to like it. We sat on it (she's not happy about her seat) and she liked it. She loved the women's jackets, helmets and boots so I think I'm going to pull the plug in a few weeks and buy one. This is what I've settled on:

[I MG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/2010_HD_OEM_Dyna_Wide_Glide_TR3_6723.jpg[/IMG]

I gotta tell you I'm pretty excited. I'm going to schedule a test ride before I put down any money but I'm certain this is the bike I want. It should be because I've been thinking about it for a year! :D

Rent one for a day, I am sure you will be happy with the Dyna, but renting is available.

M4arc
04-16-11, 06:38
Rent one for a day, I am sure you will be happy with the Dyna, but renting is available.

Good idea. I was planning on scheduling a test ride but renting one for a day sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

rob_s
04-16-11, 07:00
I agree re: renting. GREAT idea. Harleys have gotten infinitely more comfortable over the years, even in the 10+ years since I bought mine, but there is still some amount of discomfort with riding out in the open. Not sure what's around your A/O but if you can rent one, ride a couple of hours to get lunch, eat, and ride back it'll give you a good idea of what to expect.

kry226
04-16-11, 07:47
I agree re: renting. GREAT idea. Harleys have gotten infinitely more comfortable over the years, even in the 10+ years since I bought mine, but there is still some amount of discomfort with riding out in the open. Not sure what's around your A/O but if you can rent one, ride a couple of hours to get lunch, eat, and ride back it'll give you a good idea of what to expect.

Very much concur. In fact, I would probably rent several different ones if you're able to. That would certainly confirm you're making the right choice in picking the right bike for you and yours. Each bike line (Sporty, Dyna, Softail, Touring) handles differently, so there's a wealth of information to be gleaned through renting.

By the way, if you're ever in the Kansas City area, I highly recommend taking the factory tour there where they build the Sportsters, Dynas, and V-Rods. Very worthwhile.

Good luck. The Wide Glide is a timeless Classic.

M4arc
04-16-11, 08:13
I'll be honest I'm not really interested in any other model. I appreciate some of the other lines like the Forty-Eight, Rocker, etc. but for some reason the Wide Glide is the one I like. The styling is exactly what I like.

rob_s
04-16-11, 08:33
I'll be honest I'm not really interested in any other model. I appreciate some of the other lines like the Forty-Eight, Rocker, etc. but for some reason the Wide Glide is the one I like. The styling is exactly what I like.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard this...

I understand that the choice to get a Harley is largely about the aesthetic, but be careful with this. I know a lot of guys that bought bikes based on looks alone and never wind up riding them because they simply bought the wrong bike for their needs. Many of them are actually ok with the situation because they only really bought the bike to own the bike, but if you're buying to ride make sure it's something you actually want to ride.

M4arc
04-16-11, 08:47

I understand that the choice to get a Harley is largely about the aesthetic, but be careful with this. I know a lot of guys that bought bikes based on looks alone and never wind up riding them because they simply bought the wrong bike for their needs. Many of them are actually ok with the situation because they only really bought the bike to own the bike, but if you're buying to ride make sure it's something you actually want to ride.

For what I'm going to use it for and for all I'm going to use it (given everything else I have going on in my life right now) it's the right bike for me I believe.

I understand what you're saying but I'm just not going to do a ton of riding and I am buying it in part just to have a bike; something for around town, short rides down to the Outer Banks, maybe up the Eastern Shore, something to have in the garage to tinker with, etc.

This isn't my first motorcycle. I've been riding since I was 8 so I think I'm pretty good at figuring out what I want. The Harley thing is new to me but I've spent a year on this decision.

However, I'll consider your advice. Thanks.

Hmac
04-16-11, 10:51
For what I'm going to use it for and for all I'm going to use it (given everything else I have going on in my life right now) it's the right bike for me I believe.

I understand what you're saying but I'm just not going to do a ton of riding and I am buying it in part just to have a bike; something for around town, short rides down to the Outer Banks, maybe up the Eastern Shore, something to have in the garage to tinker with, etc.

This isn't my first motorcycle. I've been riding since I was 8 so I think I'm pretty good at figuring out what I want. The Harley thing is new to me but I've spent a year on this decision.

Harley Davidson is a good choice IMHO. Solid-handling, reliable. I've always preferred the better seating room of the big twins, never cared much for the Sportsters. I have short enough legs that I've always been much more comfortable with the models with floorboards rather than foot pegs, so it's always been softails for me. In that category, again with the short legs, the Heritage Softail is about all I've owned over the last 20 years (3 different bikes), mainly because it's low enough for me to easily get both feet down at a stoplight and I think that's important if I have passenger. Many of the newer big twins can be had with lowering kits, however, so that might be less of an issue on the other models these days.

My son has a 93 Wide Glide, which he loves...but he's 6' 4". I simply can't get comfortable on that bike, and my wife finds the passenger accommodations on the Dyna uncomfortable as well, she much prefers the seating and sissy bar on my Heritage. Those are detachable, so the seat and sissy bar/luggage rack can be removed in a matter of about a minute or two. The other thing that has always turned me off about the Dyna line (I was considering a Low Rider, once, years ago) is the extended rake. I definitely prefer the shorter rake of the Softails because it provides, IMHO, better handling around town. If you're doing mostly highway riding, that might be less important for you.

Good luck. Harleys are great bikes, especially for those who like to tinker. There's certainly no shortage of aftermarket parts.

http://SSEquine.net/bike.jpg http://SSEquine.net/bike2.jpg

kry226
04-16-11, 12:11

M4arc,

I think you're on the right track. But the HD's are so expensive, it hurts a lot more to buy something that may not be as versatile, which will allow for change as your riding habits may change over the years.

Case in point, I was almost burned...I bought a Fat Boy, mostly for the cool factor, but it was everything I wanted in a bike...before I realized what I wanted. As fuel prices went up (I have a diesel pick-up), my desire to commute increased, and the Fat Boy sucked in the cool early morning long rides into work. No bags for gear, and nothing to hide behind. Those things along with cruise control, ABS, and yes, even tunes, become more important. Traded up to a Street Glide and wished I had done it sooner. Great for cool-factor-hopping-around-town, and great for a decent commute. Best of both worlds, for me.

I offer that as only an example, and it may not be applicable to you and your situation in the least. Like I said, I think you're on the right track, as your experience clearly indicates.

I would still rent as many as I could. We say on here a lot: buy once cry once. Good luck, man. Report back once you get that cheesy, greasy smile that you cannot wipe off your face...with pics of course.

Hmac
04-16-11, 12:21
I would still rent as many as I could.

This is probably good advice. There is a huge difference in ride, seating, and handling between the Dynas, the Softails, and the FLH's.

The other thing I always found attractive about the Heritage Softail is that it comes with very functional saddlebags included.