PDA

View Full Version : ok so no mac 10 hehehe......

kal
03-26-10, 16:12
...But I am looking for a pistol in 45acp, 10+ capacity, with external safety(no glocks, xd's).

I was at a gun show today and saw this Taurus...
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=572&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=OSS

It had everything I wanted in a 45 caliber handgun but I really don't know shit about hundgun brands and other specific things to look for. That's why I'm here and not at the range.:D

If somebody would just direct me to some brands that have what I'm looking for, I can isolate those lines of handguns, play with them at the shops, and make a decision, instead of ending up with something less because I didn't ask for help.

shittercrewchief
03-26-10, 16:19
Both the H&k Hk45 and S&W M&P 45 will fit that bill and beat the Taurus any day.

MarshallDodge
03-26-10, 16:24
Taurus quality is hit and miss. You may find a guy that has shot thousands of rounds through his but if you check around you will find ten others that have had to send them back to fix an issue.

I have shot the midsize M&P45 and really like it.

Lee Indy
03-26-10, 16:28
taraus = spotty quality

warpigM-4
03-26-10, 17:09
HK 45 Compact!! I love Mine ,Had Both a Glock 30 and a XD 45 and dumped Both .I am keeping the HK it fits My Needs .A Little More Money But A winner None the Less :D

kal
03-26-10, 17:50
Yeah the hk45 is a bit too much. I really don't want to spend more than $600. The Taurus was $460 brand new......along with other brands. I saw some of the smith and wesson MP's for about 600. If he has one with the thumb safety, I'm likely to buy it.

More suggestions are welcome.

TOrrock
03-26-10, 18:08
In that price range get a Smith & Wesson M&P 45.

Grant has the mid size model on his website, you can always contact him and ask if he has one with a thumb safety.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=109307&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

Taurus = Brazilian Craptastic.

CaptainDooley
03-26-10, 18:58
I haven't had their .45, but the FS 9 I have is amazing. If I was in the market for a .45, it would be a midsize M&P.

Check here for a bunch more glowing reviews:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45724&highlight=midsize

Hunter Rose
03-26-10, 21:43
A used HK USP 45 gets my vote, as long as the larger size works for you.

kal
03-26-10, 23:23
I think I might try looking for something in 40sw and see what happens.

It seems like there are more choices in 40sw due to the round being designed to fit into 9mm based handguns, if that makes any sense.

But 40sw is just too expensive to plink with compared to 45acp. Yes there's cheap and plenty 9mm.....but.....it's.......9mm.:p

Also, about that MP45 with the thumb safety, does that safety work as a decocker too?

John_Wayne777
03-26-10, 23:25
But 40sw is just too expensive to plink with compared to 45acp. Yes there's cheap and plenty 9mm.....but.....it's.......9mm.:p

With quality ammo 9mm will do anything you can reasonably expect a handgun to do.

Also, about that MP45 with the thumb safety, does that safety work as a decocker too?

No. The striker on the M&P is always cocked. The sear releases the striker which fires the weapon. The safety simply blocks rearward movement of the trigger.

MichaelD
03-27-10, 00:05
But 40sw is just too expensive to plink with compared to 45acp.

Really? Where do you buy your .45 ammo that it's less expensive than .40? I haven't found any store that sells .45 for less than their prices on .40...

As for Taurus quality, it seems to me it's getting better, at least if you check the posts on TaurusArmed.net. Still, I'd get an M&P45c long before I bought a Taurus.

varoadking
03-27-10, 07:50
As for Taurus quality, it seems to me it's getting better, at least if you check the posts on TaurusArmed.net.

Plenty of folks are reluctant to admit they bought a turd...

LockenLoad
03-27-10, 08:11
M&P seems to fit your bill perfectly, get the Apex sear everyone recommends, I think I may be wrong but, I thought the .45 could shot .40 too with a barrel replacement, could be wrong.

decodeddiesel
03-27-10, 23:40
Another vote for the M&P. Though if I were in the market for a 45 at the moment I would get an HK45 or HK45 compact.

loupav
03-28-10, 00:15
I own both an HK45 and M&P45. So far I like the HK45 much better. The M&P is a nice handgun, but the HK takes the cake. A used USP 45 is also a good option. If you are open to go used, it's worth a shot and they are built like tanks.

EzGoingKev
03-28-10, 06:38

If you want a decocker the FNP has one along with a thumb safety. I believe they are in your price range also.

I have no first hand knowledge on them but there are a few threads on them here.

warpigM-4
03-28-10, 09:12
I own both an HK45 and M&P45. So far I like the HK45 much better. The M&P is a nice handgun, but the HK takes the cake. A used USP 45 is also a good option. If you are open to go used, it's worth a shot and they are built like tanks.
My HK 45 compact USP was bought on Gunbroker and I got a hell of a deal.you could not tell it was used at all ,great deals out there you just have to search. and as stated it is built like a tank .the first time i shot it hit tight group and nailed a Bullseye first try from 25 yards ,( I have never been able to do that with the Sigs I bought,or my Glock or my XD )it is worth the extra Money.

jsharp
03-28-10, 12:55
Don't discount the old open bolt Mac 10's. They're the ultimate if you ever find yourself in a gunfight in a phone booth... :D

kal
03-28-10, 14:31
Can anyone tell me a thing or two about the FNP-9/40/45?

Specifically, can it be carried decocked with the hammer down?

skyugo
03-28-10, 14:45
Don't discount the old open bolt Mac 10's. They're the ultimate if you ever find yourself in a gunfight in a phone booth... :D

god that sounds messy :D

i know a fellow with a registered full auto mac10. he's actually pretty good with it.

opmike
03-28-10, 18:02
Can anyone tell me a thing or two about the FNP-9/40/45?

Specifically, can it be carried decocked with the hammer down?

As opposed to?

It's not a single-action handgun, so you'll be able to carry it with the hammer down.

The FNX/USG/or whatever they're calling them, models can be carried cocked and locked, I believe.