PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 SBR for Elk?

99HMC4
03-27-10, 00:06
Okay, I Elk hunt every year here in NM and tag out most of the time. I use my PTR91 SC carbine for Elk and Deer. If I draw out this year I was thinking about using a 7.62x39 11.5" upper on my SBR lower for the Elk hunt. Longest shot Ive ever had here was maybe 200 yards if that and most shots are 50-100yards. From what Ive seen my 7.62x51 do to Elk and Deer Im way more than sure a AK round will kill fast. This will also be a walking hunt with iron sifghts only....

NMBigfoot02
03-27-10, 09:29
I would say depends on the distance. Keep in mind that the AK round is very similar to the .30-30. While it should do the job within 200 yards, I'd be looking for something bigger if the distance increased, something in the full power range (30-06, 303 British, 7.62x54R, etc.)

m1a_scoutguy
03-27-10, 09:55
Hmmmm,althought it would be a nice acomplishment to get a Elk with your 7.62x39 rifle,,ya mite be pushing it,,LOL!! It is a good round,,but,what if you see that Monster Bull and he is just a tad out of range,,:( I lived in Montana for sevral years and shot a Bull with a 22-250,,:eek:we were looking for coyotes,,but we just happen to run into a nice Bull,,,a couple shots in the head and it was a done deal !! I would of much rather had my 270,,but I made due with what I had. When its all said and done,,its up to you,,know the limits of your gun and you should be ok. If you use quality ammo that would help also,,just remember "what if" & if I had only,,etc !!! That Big Bull is waiting,,,,good luck and let us know how you make out if you do use it ! :)

99HMC4
03-27-10, 10:42
I would keep my range in check for sure. I will have to run some numbers and check out some different rounds but I think it would work great. The last two cow elk I shot the 7.62x51 completetly destroyed the meat. Im really am looking for something a bit slower in .30 caliber and I just want to use an SBR while Im at it...:D

Edit: I was with a friend on a Oryx hunt several years ago and he killed one with a .270 at about 220 yards....

NMBigfoot02
03-27-10, 12:34
Also keep in mind that 7.62x39 velocities are typically rated for 20" barrels (if you go by what Federal used to quote their test barrel lengths at.) In an 11.5" SBR, you're losing even more velocity than you would with a standard 16.25" AK. Even if you use softpoint ammo (which I would recommend), the softpoint may not expand due to the lost velocity.

I would seriously think about using a longer barrel or a bigger caliber for elk.

Toonces
03-27-10, 13:00
Can it be done? Sure.

Is it ethical? Not to me.

If there was some hellacious penalty for wounding and not recovering the elk, would you still try the 7.62x39 SBR?

That being said, there are plenty of "hunters" who have no business chasing game with their 30-06 or Ultramags or whatever. I lost a whitetail once due to overconfidence, stubbornness, and stupidity. I'm not saying I'll never lose a game animal again, shit happens, but I'll never put myself in that type of situation again.

hatt
03-27-10, 13:58
It's too light. .30-30 is about the minimum for Elk. 7.62x39 is not a .30-30, an 11.5 inch 7.62x39 isn't even in the same ballpark.

RNorris
03-27-10, 14:34
Respectfully, it would be more of a stunt than anything else. I would say no. Use stouter caliber than that on elk.

SHIVAN
03-27-10, 15:03
Use one of those Gamo Whisper Air Rifles instead, they kill those big hogs with them.

akxx
03-27-10, 15:39
Okay, I Elk hunt every year here in NM and tag out most of the time. I use my PTR91 SC carbine for Elk and Deer. If I draw out this year I was thinking about using a 7.62x39 11.5" upper on my SBR lower for the Elk hunt. Longest shot Ive ever had here was maybe 200 yards if that and most shots are 50-100yards. From what Ive seen my 7.62x51 do to Elk and Deer Im way more than sure a AK round will kill fast. This will also be a walking hunt with iron sifghts only....

First off--I think it's really cool that you're seeking the advise of others on this matter. There will ALWAYS be someone who says "a well-placed .22 will kill a grizzly..." and while true, what we most want to consider is likelihood of putting the animal down securely and swiftly.

That said, there are many that consider .308 to be around the lower limit for a good elk kill. Obviously shot placement and distance are major factors. There were many many elk taken with 30-30s, but that was also back when elk were more plentiful and presented easier, shorter-distance targets.

Run a ballistics calculator (JBM on line for free) and what you want to look for is the distance at which around 1500 ft-lbs of energy or more can be attained. This number is generally considered the rule of thumb for minimum consistent humane elk kill. Yes, people have humanely killed elk with less, and many have not humanely killed with much more energy.

ghost762
03-27-10, 16:02
That's how I ended up getting my SKS. My dad got it for me when I was 14 to hunt deer. I'm not sure about taking down an elk with a 7.62X39 round though.

99HMC4
03-27-10, 16:27
Is it ethical? Not to me.

Ethical? I guess not penatrating far enough, letting the animal run for several hundred yards and then bleeding out slowly over a long period of time wouldnt be ethical. Oh wait, thats called bow hunting.....:rolleyes:

I never said "hey guys Im taking my low velocity, underpowered pee shooter to kill a giant B&C trophy bull". Im talking a 300 pound cow elk in the unit I like where the shots are more like 60 yards with a round thats been know to penatrate thin armor. I would of course do lots of testing and run the numbers before I ever moved on with it but Im pretty sure from what Ive done and seen the 7.62x39 round (carbine or 20 incher) would take an elk just fine....

Cold Zero
03-27-10, 16:29
11.5" barrrel out to maybe 200 yards. That barrel to too short to hunt with and is moe likely to cripple, than kill at any distance.

Full length barrel inside 100 yds., different story.

99HMC4
03-27-10, 16:31
Run a ballistics calculator (JBM on line for free) and what you want to look for is the distance at which around 1500 ft-lbs of energy or more can be attained. This number is generally considered the rule of thumb for minimum consistent humane elk kill. Yes, people have humanely killed elk with less, and many have not humanely killed with much more energy.

For sure, this is what I was thinking. And shit, it may not work out or may be cutting it to close, if that is the case Ill just use my trustin .308 carbine which has proven many times to more than enough for elk (cow and bull)....

99HMC4
03-27-10, 16:32
11.5" barrrel out to maybe 200 yards. That barrel to too short to hunt with and is moe likely to cripple, than kill at any distance.

Full length barrel inside 100 yds., different story.

Again, as I said the range Im shooting for is 50-75 yards. Any more than that and I dont shoot, its that simple. Ive passed many shot before cause I was not 100% sure I would drop her so its my loss if I miss a shot cause I took an under powered rifle. Put it this way, would the 11.5" barrel and a 7.62x39 round work within bow ranges?

RNorris
03-27-10, 16:49
"Ethical? I guess not penatrating far enough, letting the animal run for several hundred yards and then bleeding out slowly over a long period of time wouldnt be ethical. Oh wait, thats called bow hunting....."

I hunt with a longbow and cedar arrows.....I get complete penetration and don't have "several hundred yard blood trails"....why? Because I wait for the perfect, "slam dunk" shot. I have passed up MANY big bucks because of my weapon choice. If you are willing to approach your light caliber hunt in that manner, you will do fine.

I originally posted that it would be a "stunt". Let me re-phrase that, because it's no more of a stunt than me hunting with a longbow or handgun. You just need to accept the limitations of your gear.

xfyrfiter
03-27-10, 17:14
And I want to know how in the h--- you draw out every dam year? you have to know someone.

akxx
03-27-10, 17:50
Again, as I said the range Im shooting for is 50-75 yards. Any more than that and I dont shoot, its that simple. Ive passed many shot before cause I was not 100% sure I would drop her so its my loss if I miss a shot cause I took an under powered rifle. Put it this way, would the 11.5" barrel and a 7.62x39 round work within bow ranges?

As you well know, the 'ethical' thing is always a touchy subject.

That said, for bow ranges: that commie round should be fine! Even an AK should put the bullets exactly where you need em at those ranges (minute-of-vitals).

Also check with DOW guidelines--some states do have minimum ft-lbs energy requirements for big game hunting.

Toonces
03-27-10, 18:43
Ethical? I guess not penatrating far enough, letting the animal run for several hundred yards and then bleeding out slowly over a long period of time wouldnt be ethical. Oh wait, thats called bow hunting.....:rolleyes:

I never said "hey guys Im taking my low velocity, underpowered pee shooter to kill a giant B&C trophy bull". Im talking a 300 pound cow elk in the unit I like where the shots are more like 60 yards with a round thats been know to penatrate thin armor. I would of course do lots of testing and run the numbers before I ever moved on with it but Im pretty sure from what Ive done and seen the 7.62x39 round (carbine or 20 incher) would take an elk just fine....

We're not mind readers...

In your original post you said elk with a 11.5" 7.62x39 SBR and mentioned ranges of up to 200 yards. You never mentioned animal size or limiting your shot to 60 yards. Now you are talking about a 16" or 20" barrel. I would bet there is a fair velocity difference between the 11.5" and 16" barrels.

If you pull off the stunt and bag your elk with the SBR with anything other than a head shot I would say you did a good job of waiting for the perfect situation and then executed a very good shot, because there is not much room for error with that combo. If you wound it and lose it I would say you made a foolish choice and should have known better.

Good luck either way.

99HMC4
03-27-10, 19:51
And I want to know how in the h--- you draw out every dam year? you have to know someone.

I put in where I know and I also put in for cow only in very high tag areas. Works ecery year. Well for the last 4 draws anyway. Plus theres so much elk here theres been plenty over the counter tags...

As you well know, the 'ethical' thing is always a touchy subject.

That said, for bow ranges: that commie round should be fine! Even an AK should put the bullets exactly where you need em at those ranges (minute-of-vitals).

Also check with DOW guidelines--some states do have minimum ft-lbs energy requirements for big game hunting.

I wont take a shot I dont think will kill the animal fast, Ive passed shots before and Im sure Ill pass more. I want a fast kill and I dont want the damn thing running up or down some big ass valley that will take my 2 days to pack out. Ive matured a lot about hunitng. I never said this was what I was gonna do, just an idea. If the nubers dont jive, this idea is trashed.

We're not mind readers...

In your original post you said elk with a 11.5" 7.62x39 SBR and mentioned ranges of up to 200 yards. You never mentioned animal size or limiting your shot to 60 yards. Now you are talking about a 16" or 20" barrel. I would bet there is a fair velocity difference between the 11.5" and 16" barrels.

If you pull off the stunt and bag your elk with the SBR with anything other than a head shot I would say you did a good job of waiting for the perfect situation and then executed a very good shot, because there is not much room for error with that combo. If you wound it and lose it I would say you made a foolish choice and should have known better.

Good luck either way.

Im thinking 75 yards max with this combo. Still wanting a 11.5" barrel, Ill have to crunch the numbers and even see if its at all close to what I think Ill need for a clean kill. If I do pull it off its not because its a stunt but rather I did my homework and used what I already know. I dont think I would need a head shot but its not out of the question. Heart is more of the intended target, I highly doubt the AK round would take out the shoulders and lungs but Im sure it would reach the heart. And your right, theres not much room for error but if bow hunters can do it I bet this round could too. Im not going to take a risk and loose the animal, as I said if theres any red flags (to me not some other guys) Ill scrap the whole idea and go with what I know brings them down for me....

RWBlue
03-27-10, 20:16
What are the velocity numbers from that barrel with the ammo you will be using?
This is about bullet drop and sighting in. I prefer to stalk hunt. This means that I don't have predetermined range markers. If I don't have a flat enough cartridge, I may have a problem getting a good hit.

Have you done any terminal ballistic tests with said ammo at max range?
Corbins sells a ballistic gel that should tell you let you see what the bullet will do. I have found that bullets are designed to function within a limited window of velocity. When I reloaded to speeds faster or slower than intended, things didn't go well.

I am guessing that it can be done.
I am also guessing that you will have to hand load to get a bullet that will do what you want.

Is your barrel .308 or .311?

99HMC4
03-27-10, 20:20
I have not done any testing yet. I dont even have the upper in question. Im just gonna try to find some numbers first before I even move on...

SHIVAN
03-27-10, 20:24
I think it would be more of a novelty hunt with that setup. If you can put the round on any spot under any circumstance inside 100yds, you will kill the elk. I can not judge your ability to do that, and have seen crack shots miss easy shots when they have the "fever" of the moment and a nice animal in their sights.

99HMC4
03-27-10, 20:30
I think it would be more of a novelty hunt with that setup. If you can put the round on any spot under any circumstance inside 100yds, you will kill the elk. I can not judge your ability to do that, and have seen crack shots miss easy shots when they have the "fever" of the moment and a nice animal in their sights.

Very true. Im good but I miss too (or just plain out put the round in the wrong place). It would be a novelty but I woul still be smart about it...

Toonces
03-27-10, 21:37
I would be worried about the penetration of the various 125gr soft points due to low sectional density, even in a small elk. I know Wolf makes a 154 gr soft point load, but I'd have to test the bullet construction before I'd use it for real hunting. I couldn't find any 7.62x39 ammo on the Norma website, which seemed odd.

After a quick search, this looked the best:

http://www.dakotaammo.net/CORBON-Hunter/762x39-150gr-CORBON-Hunter-JSP/HT762X39150-20/300/Product
2300 fps and 1762 ftlbs from a 20" barrel

Run this through your criteria and see what you think. Let us know what you think, if you don't mind. I'm way too paranoid to even consider it for elk. However, since you seem to have put some thought into this and have shot elk before...

99HMC4
03-27-10, 22:33
Well I ran some crude numbers and I do realy like the way this combo is adding up. The 7.62x39 is kinda of a little shitty round isnt it? :p How about other calibers that will fit an AR mag and might have enough power to take an elk?

hatt
03-27-10, 23:37
Well I ran some crude numbers and I do realy like the way this combo is adding up. The 7.62x39 is kinda of a little shitty round isnt it? :p How about other calibers that will fit an AR mag and might have enough power to take an elk?
You could just use a hunting rifle and stop all the shenanigans. Something like the .450 Bushmaster would be ok, with proper bullets, but the question of why keeps coming up.

99HMC4
03-27-10, 23:51
Why? Same reason some guys use bows, same reason some guys use muzzle loaders, same reason some use lever actions, same reason some use a scope, same reason some use iron sights, same reason some drive hunt, same reason some stalk hunt, same reason some tree stand hunt, same reason some use large calibers, same reason some use smaller calibers and just for the hell of it. Thas why. Why not?:D

hatt
03-28-10, 00:05
The animals do all the suffering when people decide to do stuff for the hell of it and it turns out bad.

If you have to start a thread on whether or not the cartridge you chose is adequate, that means you should have picked something else.

99HMC4
03-28-10, 00:17
I havent shot anything. Calm down....:rolleyes:

RWBlue
03-28-10, 00:56
The animals do all the suffering when people decide to do stuff for the hell of it and it turns out bad.

If you have to start a thread on whether or not the cartridge you chose is adequate, that means you should have picked something else.

I disagree. I see that it means, he is thinking. The person who doesn't post, and doesn't make a clean shot is a problem.

hatt
03-28-10, 01:18
I disagree. I see that it means, he is thinking. The person who doesn't post, and doesn't make a clean shot is a problem.

There's not a lot of thinking involved in choosing a cartridge to hunt a specific animal. You look at what needs to be done and then pick something that easily does it. Endlessly pondering the absolute minimum requirements when you can simply use something you know will get the job done is silly IMO.

I also never understand why people insist on using heavy and bulky military style autoloading rifles, usually in substandard calibers for the application, to hunt. I can see if it's the only thing you have but that's not usually the case.

99HMC4
03-28-10, 10:18
I also never understand why people insist on using heavy and bulky military style autoloading rifles, usually in substandard calibers for the application, to hunt. I can see if it's the only thing you have but that's not usually the case.

Heavy and bulky? My PTR91 is a bit heavy but much shorter and "compact" than most magnum rilfes. Its nice to have a semi auto but Ive never needed more than one shot for the last 3 elk I took and last bcuk.
So from what Ive seen in the past 5 hunts with my "substandard" caliber (.308/7.62x51), bulky and heavy evil balck 16" carbine rifle is that all but one this little round and decent ranges (75-220 yards) punched holes right thorugh the big animals. So why are you trying to get me to use something bigger and badder when mthe little .308 was more than neough? As I said I think people over estimate what it take to cleanly kill an elk. Im not going to do something I dont think will work, you dont have to trust me. I wont listen to you, cause I dont agree with your advice so far.....

NMBigfoot02
03-28-10, 10:31
I think you may be missing the point that people in this thread have been trying to tell you.

In hunting, the goal is to kill the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible. With this in mind, overkill is not a bad thing. While it's possible to take down an elk with a 7.62x39 SBR, it's far from overkill. Quite honestly, I would consider .308 or .30-06 to be the minimum to take an elk at distances you would be likely to encounter one at.

99HMC4
03-28-10, 10:43
In my own personal experience, the game Ive shot that the round went strait through ran more than the game that the bullet expanded right and stayed inside the game. Ive only recovered one round that went through (buck with a soft point .308) and the round didnt expand on bit. It took out both shoulders and the lungs, then hit the dirt hill about 30 yards on the other side of the deer. SO what do you say about this?

NMBigfoot02
03-28-10, 10:54
I would say try some different ammo if you're having expansion problems. If anything, the 7.62x39 is probably going to overpenetrate as well when fired from a short barrel.

hatt
03-28-10, 11:59
In my own personal experience, the game Ive shot that the round went strait through ran more than the game that the bullet expanded right and stayed inside the game. Ive only recovered one round that went through (buck with a soft point .308) and the round didnt expand on bit. It took out both shoulders and the lungs, then hit the dirt hill about 30 yards on the other side of the deer. SO what do you say about this?

No one can say anything about it because you didn't provide the bullet and weight. I'm guessing you had a bullet designed for heavier game than deer.

SHIVAN
03-28-10, 13:48
Alright, let's tone it down and discuss this a bit more peacefully. We don't have to agree but we should disagree respectfully. :D

User Name
03-28-10, 14:11
Please don't.

akxx
03-28-10, 14:40
How about other calibers that will fit an AR mag and might have enough power to take an elk?

Hands down, the new 300 OSSM. Better than 30-06 velocities in a 150-grain bullet and uses a standard AR lower. Truly awesome.

RWBlue
03-28-10, 16:21
There's not a lot of thinking involved in choosing a cartridge to hunt a specific animal. You look at what needs to be done and then pick something that easily does it. Endlessly pondering the absolute minimum requirements when you can simply use something you know will get the job done is silly IMO.

This is where we disagree.
I am a big fan of using every means that seems reasonable. (Test on non-animals to deturmine reasonable.)
Bow, Crossbow, muzzle loader, shotgun......

IMHO, If you think that X gun is going to be your SHTF gun, you better try to carry it in the woods for a week or a month and find it's weaknesses. This is especially true if you are trying something that is not normal.

Where we do agree is the issue of absolute minimum. It is legal to use 22Honet in some states for deer. I have seen a deer killed with 22hornet. I worked, but was not a good choice. If the hunter had run some kind of ballistic test, they would have know this.

I think you may be missing the point that people in this thread have been trying to tell you.

In hunting, the goal is to kill the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible. With this in mind, overkill is not a bad thing. While it's possible to take down an elk with a 7.62x39 SBR, it's far from overkill. Quite honestly, I would consider .308 or .30-06 to be the minimum to take an elk at distances you would be likely to encounter one at.

I have a 458WM. Should I be using it to kill deer? It will get the job done.

What people are trying to tell him is, your choice is not traditional.

The 30-06 works, so we shouldn't try using the 270 on Elk.

Rifles are better, so we shouldn't use hand guns to hunt.

I assume you can see the sarcasm, but.....

Hands down, the new 300 OSSM. Better than 30-06 velocities in a 150-grain bullet and uses a standard AR lower. Truly awesome.

Tell me more about the 300 OSSM.

akxx
03-28-10, 20:20
300 OSSM was developed by Olympic, and is just now starting to hit the market. It was developed with the hunter in mind (no portentions of being a mil-replacement caliber), and attains 3,000+ fps with a .30-caliber 150-grain bullet. Crazy thing is, it uses standard AR lowers (not AR-10). Olympic is releasing the Gamestalker complete rifle first, and will release uppers later. 7.5 lbs for better-than- 30-06 ballistics in an AR platform is pretty darn cool. Ammo is just starting to become available, and hopefully soon dies and brass will be as well.

I don't think it's intended to enter the 6.5 vs 6.8 battle, but rather serve the sporting community--needless to say it certainly has my attention, and I'll be looking forward to what this year brings in terms of reloading components/field reports.

NMBigfoot02
03-29-10, 12:33
I have a 458WM. Should I be using it to kill deer? It will get the job done.

What people are trying to tell him is, your choice is not traditional.

The 30-06 works, so we shouldn't try using the 270 on Elk.

Rifles are better, so we shouldn't use hand guns to hunt.

I assume you can see the sarcasm, but.....

You have to remember that the intended range should be taken into account. Could you use a handgun to hunt at 300 yds? Sure, if your skill is up to the task, but I think there are better options out there. Just as your .458WM might be gross overkill at closer ranges, it might be more appropriate at longer distances.

It's about selecting the right tool for the job. While you could use the 7.62x39 SBR at closer ranges, it will ultimately, IMHO, limit the range at which you can make a clean, humane kill. Ultimately, the OP can use whatever he wants so long as it's legal in his area.

99HMC4
03-29-10, 14:31
IMHO, limit the range at which you can make a clean, humane kill. .

Roght on with what I said. Your all assuming Ill take a long shot, as I said already, I wont. I may miss a big ol cow cause shes 180 yards away in a clearin but I wont take the shot, thats something Im willing to risk. Ill just have to get closer....

NMBigfoot02
03-29-10, 14:34
Roght on with what I said. Your all assuming Ill take a long shot, as I said already, I wont. I may miss a big ol cow cause shes 180 yards away in a clearin but I wont take the shot, thats something Im willing to risk. Ill just have to get closer....

If you're fine with that, rock on then.

Be sure to post us up some results after your first kill.

RWBlue
03-29-10, 23:20
You have to remember that the intended range should be taken into account. Could you use a handgun to hunt at 300 yds? Sure, if your skill is up to the task, but I think there are better options out there. Just as your .458WM might be gross overkill at closer ranges, it might be more appropriate at longer distances.

It's about selecting the right tool for the job. While you could use the 7.62x39 SBR at closer ranges, it will ultimately, IMHO, limit the range at which you can make a clean, humane kill. Ultimately, the OP can use whatever he wants so long as it's legal in his area.

The 458WM in a factory load is way over kill at any range for deer. It is a large bore, and zipping along. The factory loads are designed for dangerous game, where lots of penetration is needed. I could shoot the front of a deer and it will exit out the back side making a mess of everything in between.

It is not the thing to do, for a meat hunter. But I can down load the 458WM to something like a medium 45-70. This will stop a deer in it's tracks, and I should be able to eat right up to the hole. (I have shot a deer with a 45-70.)

I am still not sold on the 7.62x39 SBR. I have no clue what the velocity is going to be at the muzzle. I don't know what bullets will do at that velocity. I don't think it is wise to shoot animals with FMJ unless (well there are exceptions). We should collect more data before taking this experiment to live animals.

99HMC4
03-29-10, 23:54
We should collect more data before taking this experiment to live animals.

Who ever said I was going to experimnet on live game?:confused:
Rough MV number:1975-2150 FPS out of a 11.5" barrel...

hatt
03-30-10, 00:20
What bullet and weight are you looking at?

CorBon makes a 150 grain load that "sounds" like what you'd need.

CORŽBON began as a custom bullet-making company; we made bullets for hunters going to Africa to hunt the Big 5 with a handgun. CORŽBON's Bonded Core Soft Points are designed to retain their weight and stay together while crushing through heavy bone and tissue in large game. CORŽBON's Penetrator and Hard Cast loads are designed for very large, tough-skinned and heavy-boned animals. The Penetrator loads use a heavy, full jacket with a hard linotype core. The Hard Cast load is made from a hard linotype lead with a proven LBT nose design. These two loads cause a through-and-through hole, breaking even the heaviest bones. Our customers have taken large game such as Moose, Brown Bear and Cape Buffalo with our Hard Cast and Penetrator loads.

* Caliber: 7.62x39
* Bullet Wt.: 150gr CORŽBON Hunter JSP
* Velocity: 2300fps
* Energy: 1762ftlbs
* Test Barrel Length: 20.0 Inches

I haven't seen any other factory rounds that I'd even consider. But I haven't looked too much. I'd want something with Barnes X bullets personally if taking this on.

Edit: CorBon makes a 123 grain TSX load.

RWBlue
03-30-10, 18:48
Who ever said I was going to experimnet on live game?:confused:
Rough MV number:1975-2150 FPS out of a 11.5" barrel...

I do NOT see an experiment as a bad thing.
Every time a hunter pulls the trigger on an animal it is an experiment.
Will the bullet perform as expected?
Will the arrow fly straight and perform as expected?

You have the velocity numbers.
Now shoot some wet news paper or wet phone books or corbin gel at an appropriate distance, comparing it to a know Elk killer.
Did the bullet perform as expected? Decent penetration? Expansion?

I don't hunt Elk, so I can not give advice as to what the minimum should be. I assume you are smart enough to make the determination and either have that gun or can find a friend with that gun.

I think real life distance shooting is better for testing, but I having someone load reduced loads and shooting closer is easier.

Side note:
My testing of 45 Super and 300-221 reveled some interesting results. I wouldn't have figured out these results if I had not tested. I am unable to continue my tests because of my current location. The 300-221 data at 100+/- yards is available on the web. The 45ACP/Super data at 50-100 yards is not. If someone were to test a 45ACP and post some bullets into some test media I would appreciate it.

P2000
04-02-10, 19:39
Personally, I say no. I would use something more powerful. I like animals to drop. 7.62x39 is pushing it out of a regular barrel. Out of an 11.5, and at an elk, you are really hurting your chances at a humane kill in my opinion. If you do go with it, make sure you have a great shot at a close range-just like good bowhunting.

99HMC4
04-02-10, 21:08
Personally, I say no. I would use something more powerful. I like animals to drop.

You do know you can hit game with any large caliber in the wrong place ind it wont "drop" right? Just some guy uses a "bigger" bullet doesnt guarantee an immediate kill....

hatt
04-02-10, 22:48
You do know you can hit game with any large caliber in the wrong place ind it wont "drop" right? Just some guy uses a "bigger" bullet doesnt guarantee an immediate kill....

Everyone knows that. The problem comes in when you made a pretty good hit and fail because you caliber and ammo choice was suspect. Have you figured out any loads that will work?

P2000
04-03-10, 01:25

Yeah I know. There is no such thing as golden bullets. But having enough punch to do the job really really helps things. The weaker the bullet, the better the shot placement needs to be...and when the bullet is weak enough(as in this case), you will need a bit of luck on your side too. Good luck and perfect shot placement are two things that I have learned that you can't count on...

99HMC4
04-03-10, 10:26
So heres another question for you guys, how do you all kow the 7.62x39 will not work? Have you run any numbers? HAve you tried to shoot an elk or deer yet? Im just wondering where all this first hand experience comes from? I would really like to know. Cause if you guys have not done it or tested it your "advice" is really nothing more than speculation and an idea. You guys are jumping my ass for the idea yet have no proof yourself for your idea. At least Im trying to figure out the combo, you guys are just throwing your "thoughts" and "feelings" out in the wind....:rolleyes:

hatt
04-03-10, 10:40
So heres another question for you guys, how do you all kow the 7.62x39 will not work? Have you run any numbers? HAve you tried to shoot an elk or deer yet? Im just wondering where all this first hand experience comes from? I would really like to know. Cause if you guys have not done it or tested it your "advice" is really nothing more than speculation and an idea. You guys are jumping my ass for the idea yet have no proof yourself for your idea. At least Im trying to figure out the combo, you guys are just throwing your "thoughts" and "feelings" out in the wind....:rolleyes:

I gave you two loads that might be good choices for this roll. I didn't hear anything from you. You respond to the callout posts every time. I think you're more interested in being controversial than actually learning anything about this round. I won't bother you anymore.:cool:

snappy
04-03-10, 11:09
you guys are just throwing your "thoughts" and "feelings" out in the wind....:rolleyes:
So are you. Good luck-

99HMC4
04-03-10, 11:15
I gave you two loads that might be good choices for this roll. I didn't hear anything from you. You respond to the callout posts every time. I think you're more interested in being controversial than actually learning anything about this round. I won't bother you anymore.:cool:

WTF? I dont have to respond to your post about the loads you posted. They look like good loads, what else do I say? I like them and Im sure they woulkd do the job. Im not trying to be controversial but Im tired of the "advice" from guys who have NO personal first hand experience. If you dont know, you dont know. So until there several guys who state "Ive tried it and it didnt work, heres my load and barrel" they should really not give advice on things. I dont mind guys voicing concerns but they take it to far when they say "it wont work" or "dont be a dumn ass and try it" type stuff. Dont be ignorant and think it cant or shouldnt be done untill we really test and figure it out. Ive already said I didnt like the numbers I came up with but that doesnt mean it still couldnt be adequate to fill this role....

99HMC4
04-03-10, 11:18
So are you. Good luck-

Yes I am, I said that. The differeance is some of you are dead set it wont work cayse you "feel" like it wont but have NOTHING to base your thoguhts on other than its not normal. Your not open to new things or even entertaining the idea cause thats not what dad used or it not big enough. Status quo is to use whats popular and for good reason. It works. That doent mean theres more options....

RNorris
04-03-10, 14:43
Maybe nobody is answering with experience because it's as stupid f'ing idea, and nobody has been unethical enough to try it yet. Use enough gun.

P2000
04-03-10, 17:23
you guys are just throwing your "thoughts" and "feelings" out in the wind....:rolleyes:

How is anyone supposed to answer your question without thoughts and feelings. This isn't a black and white situation. It may work sometimes, and other times your elk may run so far that you will never find it. So it comes down to a judgment call, AKA thoughts and feelings. Additional info worth weighing is what do you have to gain, and what do you have to lose? That is all the advice I can give.