PDA

View Full Version : Glock 36

Bulldog7972
03-27-10, 08:56
I'm thinking about purchasing a G36 but I have been told to stay away from Glocks in anything other than 9mm. Seeing how there have been some problems with the G23, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any similar problems with 36. Also, to those of you that have the 36, how do you like it? I'm wondering about recoil, muzzle blast, ease of carry, etc., etc. Are there after market magazines that would allow me to increase the round capacity? Thanks in advance.

Chameleox
03-27-10, 09:56
Its primarily the G22 that's causing a lot of the angst with Glocks, though some people don't seem to like the .45s either.
I don't like them simply because of the grip size. The .45 Glocks are noticeably bigger than their .40 and 9mm cousins. The G36 is big for a "subcompact", but its an improvement on the G30, size-wise. My coworkers find that concealing them as backups or in plainclothes is often difficult.
Pinky grips that may or may not add magazine capacity are fairly easy to find. For me, personally, I find that they help in controlling the recoil (not too bad though).
Hope this helps, bulldog.

skyugo
03-27-10, 10:32
the G36 had some issues in the past. i guess they work pretty well now. i've heard they're a bit snappy on the recoil. i looked at em and decided against...
i think you'd be happier with a G26. holds 10+1 and it's a pleasure to shoot. it's also a 9mm, so it's got a very solid track record.

SeaSoldier
03-27-10, 10:52
I love the size and feel of the G36. That being said, the G36 is the only Glock I have ever had reliability issues with. Now I have stuck with the G19 for the last 5yrs or so. The full size M&P9's are really starting to grow on me. It would appear the compact M&P9 will be comparable in size with the G36 and would be a better option for me.

sabresbrs
03-27-10, 11:58
I used to have one. It is ok, but I sold mine and would never buy another one. I like my 21sf waaaayyy better. IMO a 1911 or magnum revolver would be way better choice for this category of gun.

Chameleox
03-27-10, 12:11
IMO a 1911 or magnum revolver would be way better choice for this category of gun.
Off topic, but what category is this? The OP mentioned carry.
Do Like the 21 SF, though. If it wasn't for having to spend a not so small fortune on new holsters, mags and pouches, the 21 SF would probably be my next duty gun.

Obiwan
03-27-10, 12:26
I had a G36...bought used and put a few thousand rounds through it

I love the pistol....very accurate and easy to shoot

BUT....always a but

It pinched my hand a lot doing speed reloads

I sold it and my left hand is blood blister free now:D

awm14hp
03-27-10, 12:38
had one tried it didnt mind it but traded it on G19

HK45
03-27-10, 12:51
I have also heard of issues with the g36 but don't know the details so...
In this size I would stick with the Glock 19. There is a reason it is so popular and you have 15 rounds. 9mm JHP's are dramatically better performers than they were just 10 years ago.
I do like the 21SF quite alot and under normal usage, i.e. not dragging it through the bush or putting an insane amount of rounds through them the Glock's in.45 are fine.

skyugo
03-27-10, 14:02
the USP compact 45 is about glock 19 size and is very reliable.
i guess the real question is where your priorities lie.
capacity?
concealability?
ease of shooting?

from what i've read the 36 is probably the least reliable glock... granted that's still not a terrible gun by any means, but something to consider.

ST911
03-27-10, 14:29
I'm thinking about purchasing a G36 but I have been told to stay away from Glocks in anything other than 9mm.

Nonsense. One can make a compelling case for the assertion that they are best in 9mm, but they aren't to be avoided otherwise.

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any similar problems with 36. Also, to those of you that have the 36, how do you like it? I'm wondering about recoil, muzzle blast, ease of carry, etc., etc. Are there after market magazines that would allow me to increase the round capacity? Thanks in advance.

The G36 is often referred to as "the Glock that isn't." It suffered major teething pains early in life. Tweaks over time to feedway geometry have helped, but it still lacks the reliability of its larger siblings.

It is easy to carry and conceal. Recoil is a bit snappy, but not unmanageable.

There are no aftermarket magazines for Glocks that I would consider using for any meaningful application.

i think you'd be happier with a G26. holds 10+1 and it's a pleasure to shoot. it's also a 9mm, so it's got a very solid track record.

The G26 is an excellent choice.

I used to have one. It is ok, but I sold mine and would never buy another one. I like my 21sf waaaayyy better. IMO a 1911 or magnum revolver would be way better choice for this category of gun.

Compact and subcompact 1911s have their own problems. There are few that do well, and those that do are quite expensive. I don't care for the G36, but I would sooner carry that than any of the available Officer and sub-officer sized 1911s.

Compact magnum revolvers will be boringly reliable, but will have their own shootability issues. Some users will be able to better manage the G36 than the wheelgun.

The G19 is not much bigger than the G36, but it is a lot more gun in many other important ways. Recommended.

varoadking
03-27-10, 16:23
I had one and really tried to like it, but I couldn't shoot it worth a damn...

skyugo
03-27-10, 18:40
I had one and really tried to like it, but I couldn't shoot it worth a damn...

i was shooting next to a guy with one the other day. muzzle blast and recoil seemed fairly brutal. I really prefer 9mm in smaller guns. it just seems like a much better balance.

m91196
03-27-10, 20:12
I'm thinking about purchasing a G36 but I have been told to stay away from Glocks in anything other than 9mm. Seeing how there have been some problems with the G23, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any similar problems with 36. Also, to those of you that have the 36, how do you like it? I'm wondering about recoil, muzzle blast, ease of carry, etc., etc. Are there after market magazines that would allow me to increase the round capacity? Thanks in advance.

It is very easy to conceal, snappy, but it is a "specialty" Glock.

No mags available that I am aware of.

Mine runs fine but you do get pinches from mag changes and beat up a little.

You may be better served with a 9MM that is only slightly larger.

VooDoo6Actual
03-27-10, 23:01
Use mine for close protection work all the time.
No reliability issues w/ quality ammo whatsoever.

Regarding your magazine question, I use Pierce +2 ext. so w/ 3X8 mags +1 in chamber =25 rounds
On my mags w/ no problems whatsoever.

Imo, excellent weapon as BUG imo.

VooDoo6Actual
03-27-10, 23:09
double tap please delete.

nolacopusmc
03-27-10, 23:34
I have two i use for everyday CHp carry and off-duty. Love em. Couple thousand rounds through em. No probs.

Bulldog7972
03-28-10, 08:34
Thanks to all for the responses.

Dragon Slayer
03-28-10, 20:24
I have a Glock 36 and it never had a problem but the reason I bought a G36 is because I use the G36 upper on a G30 SF frame/lower for a Glock 36/30 SF Hybrid now for almost a year and in my book it is better then any other 45 ACP handgun out there with 11 rounds in the gun and a couple spare G21 +2 mags as backup it is as awesome and compact a package anybody can find.

Demodave
03-30-10, 17:54
Mine does not like the WW White box as it seems to be underpowered ammo. I too have read a ton of I-net gossip. Most problems seem to be with underpowered ammo. Have run CCI Blazer w/o a problem. Duty ammo ditto.

With the WW White box, I have failures to extract, ie double feed. 4 out of the last 60 rounds. Simply didn't completely extract the round from the chamber. And no, it's not limpwristing....

Stout recoil, controlled pairs are doable, but you have to work at it.

G-26 or 19 much, much easier to shoot quick pairs.

No need for caliber wars, All pistols are still unreliable manstoppers.

It's a niche gun, fun to shoot at the range, it's a 45, light weight, same size as a 19, but 6+1 and 2 extra mags only yields 19 rounds. A 19 with 2 extra mags is 46 rounds. Can we say Mumbai?