PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS 9mm, almost too small

Nathan_Bell
03-27-10, 16:52
I have had my 9mm PPS for a couple months now and have been, weather permitting, putting rounds through it before I decide it is my carry piece of choice, slow fire and plinking type shooting. Had been using just the larger magazine while shooting. Today I decided to use both, the longer magazine with the extended grip and the super small one.

Major eye opener. With the longer magazine first 5 rounds at 21 feet went into a very nice group, dumb lucked into have 4 holes for those first 5 rounds. Better than my normal level of accuracy, but it was slowish fire (3/4-1 sec per round). Next magazine, the short one, you would have had to work to cover all 5 with a 3x5 note card. this was a bit of a WTF moment for me, but I reloaded both magazines and tried again.
Longer magazine, nice lttle group; stumpy magazine, a pattern.
Spent half a box trying to get a solid grip when the shorty magazine was in. No Dice, couldn't get a solid repeatable grip on it. That extra half an inch at the bottom of the grip is enough to make the PPS into a random thrower of lead. After I decided to accept this and move onto rapid fire work using just the longer magazine.

Two magazines through was all I could keep my concentration high enough to shoot well with the little guy. After that I was getting 3 rounds right where I wanted and the others would (mostly) be in the right zone, but not where I wanted them.

Put it away and ran a magazine through an M&P, just to see if I was kaput for shooting today or if it was the pistol. I looked like I had a clue with the M&P.

I am going to call it hand/pistol fit issues and try to see if I can get my grip settled in better. I would hate to get rid of it, as it is such a nice piece to carry.

tarkeg
03-27-10, 17:36
Thanks for the report.
I've been considering upgrading (in caliber) to that model from my old Sig P230.

lethal dose
03-27-10, 17:46
Holding it in your shop felt nice. Personally, I like the kahr lineup for single stack ccw pistols. I'd have to shoot a pps to form an opinion about one. Thanks for the review. Keep us updated.

FL2011
03-27-10, 18:03
Have you tried adding on some sort of slip on rubber grip?

I'll have to find the link, but I remember reading a thread on Walther's forums where a few people experimented with a few different slip on grips and I THINK the Hogue Jr. was a good fit.

I just picked up a rubber grip the other week and put it on and so far I think it has helped me keep a consistent grip on the gun. I had to trim a little off the grip because of the PPS mag style but fits fairly well. I'll have to find that other thread and see which one they recommended.

Nathan_Bell
03-27-10, 19:18
Thanks for the report.
I've been considering upgrading (in caliber) to that model from my old Sig P230.

I have huge hands, so it might not be as big an issue for you as it is for me.

ld: weather permitting you can try a few rounds out of it next time you hit the shop.

FL2011: Thanks, will try the slip on can't hurt.

FL2011
03-27-10, 22:09
Just as a followup: Here's the link to the thread I saw a while ago over on a PPS forum that dealt with some slip on grips.

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=723

Nathan_Bell
03-28-10, 10:51
Just as a followup: Here's the link to the thread I saw a while ago over on a PPS forum that dealt with some slip on grips.

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=723

After reading that thread, not certain it will fix my issue, but as cheap as they are I will try it.
My problem is that I only have 1 3/4 fingers' worth of grip on the gun with the itty bitty front magazine. 2 1/4 fingers' worth with the longer magazine. Should have the slip on tues wed and will see.

FL2011
03-28-10, 11:04
Yea, the flush fitting 6rd is pretty much just for concealed carry if I'm just wearing it under a tshirt or something. If I can get away with it I'll usually use the 7rd mags as I can get my pinky on that one.

Used it in my first IDPA style match last week and just used the 8rd mags and it handled fairly well.

bobbo
03-28-10, 11:25
It sounds like just a fit problem with the six round magazine for you. I shoot the PPS very well with both supplied mags, but I have small hands. How well does it conceal for you with the seven round mag? Maybe you ought to just ditch the six rounder and pick up an eight for your secondary mag. Just my 2c. ;)

Nathan_Bell
03-28-10, 16:40
It sounds like just a fit problem with the six round magazine for you. I shoot the PPS very well with both supplied mags, but I have small hands. How well does it conceal for you with the seven round mag? Maybe you ought to just ditch the six rounder and pick up an eight for your secondary mag. Just my 2c. ;)

Conceals fine with the longer mags. Just have to see if I can get a solid enough grip to be able to run it at speed.

RebelKangaroo
04-03-10, 18:05
With my PPS I just compromised and use the 7 round magazine. I don't have a 6 round, so that makes this decision much easier. :D

Shawn.L
04-03-10, 18:14
I carry my PPS in a pocket holster (FIST) for times when concealment is a major concern and dress is restricted. So I carry with the flush fit 6 rounder.

For its application I am concerned not with slow fire group sizes, but speed of deployment and being able to get rapid shots in the top half of an IPSC "A" zone on the move from 5-7 yards.

Drawing from the pocket is slower than a hip holster, adds about a quarter to half second to my draw as opposed to clearing an open front garment.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 06:57
I have a similar Issue with my PPS. I can keep all rounds in a 5" shoot'n'see target but can't really shoot nice tight groups with it. I shoot my HK's much better. I just keep practicing but keeping all shots in a 5" circle doing rapid fire (with either mag) isn't too shabby IMO. I'm not sure if it is the accuracy of the gun, the gun's small size or me being used to the HK trigger.
The PPS is an awesome carry gun in the hot & humid Houston climate so I'm not getting rid of it.