PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM's new handgun (formerly known as the JCP).

olds442tyguy
07-14-06, 15:59
Just wondering if anyone here has heard any more info about the SOCOM handgun trials. I've looked around, but people either aren't talking, or things are going really slow.

So far, I've come up with this list of entrants.

Beretta - PX4 45ACP.
Smith and Wesson - M&P 45.
Heckler and Koch - HK45.
FN Herstal - FNP 45.
Sig Arms - 220 Combat.

I also heard a rumor that Glock was going to participate, but Glock is apparently being extremely quiet. Based on some of the feature requests, I'd have to guess if there is a new generation Glock coming out, it will probably make it's debute at the SOCOM trials.

The only photos made public have come from HK and SIG to the best of my knowledge. SIG is already planning civilian sales, and rumor has it that civilians may see them even before the SOCOM trials are over. The 220 Combat is already on SIG's website with an MSRP of $1200 for the threaded barrel model, and $1070 for the standard model.

Reguardless of who wins, I'll openly say that there's a healthy list of handguns I'll be glad to see offered with threaded barrels. :D

CapnCrunch
07-14-06, 21:47
There's a few others that you left out ;)

VA_Dinger
07-15-06, 18:13
I have not read a thing about how the competition is going. Is there a time frame for when the winner is going to be decided?

Ross
07-16-06, 02:52
The actual Request For Proposal hasn't been issued yet, so the actual trials haven't started. What info you're seeing in gun rags/internet/etc. now is the usual political/PR jockying that goes on, which is all part of the process and can be looked at as "competition" in the most base form.

Companies can't even file an Intent to Participate, which is required, until the formal RFP is released. Formal RFP release is scheduled for the end of this month (July 2006). There's no doubt that many have intent, this is shown by the posturing of some of the "usual suspects". It's just that there are no true, official entires until the RFP comes out.

Up until the end of last month (June 2006), the .mil has been answering/clarifying industry questions about the program so that everyone knows what the deal is before the RFP is released and the race starts.

While some info out there is no doubt accurate and spot on, alot of it is also conjecture and internet BS.

The best thing to do is to weigh anything you hear on the net/media, with a dose of official information. If you do that, you may be a day late on the info, but the info would be correct.

Stickman
08-05-06, 13:42
Did this open on time for companies to start their submittals? I had heard it was pushed back, but it wasn't info from a credible source.

grinch
08-05-06, 13:54
bet your money on it not happening

Stickman
08-05-06, 13:57
The trials, or the purchases and getting new pistols?

dewatters
08-05-06, 16:37
This was posted yesterday on FBO:

This notification is to inform Industry the Combat Pistol requirement is currently in review. The expected release of the Request for Proposal is anticipated on/about 31 October 2006. All vendors are encourage to register under the Interested Vendor List (IVL) module of FEDBIZOPS.

olds442tyguy
08-11-06, 18:19
Good info.

Beretta has their canidate in their 2006 Beretta Defence catalog. (check www.berettadefence.com )

I've also heard that Ruger may be participating, and based on Daniel's patent find, it looks like there's a possibility Colt might have something to throw in the mix as well.

Capn, I think you need to spill the beans on the others you know of. :D

Edit: Fair warning for the computer illiterate like myself, I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get the Beretta Catalog to close.

olds442tyguy
08-23-06, 17:46
Another one's officially public. I just wonder how long it will be before they offer the threaded models.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9161HCSP06.jpg

Spurholder
08-24-06, 10:53
Rumor Control has it that Glock is entering a radical new pistol...

Different grip to frame angle (a la 1911), external safety (a la 1911), and (gasp) a different trigger.

Source: my brother's wife's cousin's next-door neighbor who was fired by Glock, etc...

Seriously - info came from a factory rep (card says "District Manager")

Has anyone else heard something similar?

olds442tyguy
08-24-06, 17:52
Rumor Control has it that Glock is entering a radical new pistol...

Different grip to frame angle (a la 1911), external safety (a la 1911), and (gasp) a different trigger.

Source: my brother's wife's cousin's next-door neighbor who was fired by Glock, etc...

Seriously - info came from a factory rep (card says "District Manager")

Has anyone else heard something similar?
I've been hearing that rumor since about 2003. :D

I still don't like striker fired guns, but if they build a pistol that's the exact opposite of the current Glocks, I welcome it. I can't bash Glocks, but to me they're the epitome of what I don't want in a pistol.