PDA

View Full Version : glock 27 vs M&P 40 compact

matt86
03-28-10, 10:24
which one should i go with for concealed carry?

Mike169
03-28-10, 10:29
Shoot both, get the one you like better.

I would recommend 9mm over 40, 40 is a bitch in those smaller guns. I also am not a big .40 fan though, so..

awm14hp
03-28-10, 10:33
Both great guns do you own any SW or Glocks now ? I would go with one that feels and shoots best. Being in NY and the availablity of preban mags (lets not go there) I have to stay with the glocks if I dont want a gun on birthcontrol so I am stuck.

matt86
03-28-10, 13:10
I have a glock 19 now, just wanted something a little smaller for summer carry. I was just thinking of getting something different. Also something not as wide as the glock. I havent been a handgun owner for very long so was hoping to get some other op's

skyugo
03-28-10, 13:16
I have a glock 19 now, just wanted something a little smaller for summer carry. I was just thinking of getting something different. Also something not as wide as the glock. I havent been a handgun owner for very long so was hoping to get some other op's

the G26 uses the same mags as the G19. so that's kind of a plus. i ended up with one of each after looking for a smaller summer gun. actually it's about 90% parts compatibility across the 2 guns. everything but the slide, recoil spring, barrel and frame. though a G19 upper fits on a G26 lower.

Quiet-Matt
03-28-10, 13:19
I carried a Glock 27 for 10 years.... I never liked it. If I was going to buy another sub-compact I'd likely go with a Springfield XD.

WILDMAN442
03-28-10, 13:33
I have a G27 that I carry off duty and as a BUG on duty. I hate it. I hate glocks in general.

When the chief okays it I am going to use the M&P. Fits me better and I shoot better with it. Plus the mag disconnect feature is very appealing to me. Could save my life someday. Not that I plan on having anyone get my gun, but shit happens sometimes.

Try both and see. Also throw the XD into the mix. It is a great gun and perfect for CCW

justin

Buckaroo
03-28-10, 14:07
Carried a G27 for about 5 years then tried the M&P compact.

I sold the Glock and now carry a M&P 40c.

Better ergonomics and easier to shoot, accepts CT grips more easily too.

Buckaroo

matt86
03-28-10, 14:56
sounds good, I think Im sold on the M&P, should I go 9mm or .40?

Buckaroo
03-28-10, 15:42
Recent ammo availability leads me to have both 9mm and .40 weapons. 9mm guns are easier to shoot without a doubt but I really like the .40 round (especially in the M&P line). Probably no scientific reality to it but it is my preference.....

Buckaroo

DocGKR
03-28-10, 16:16
I far prefer shooting the M&P40c compared to the G27. I'll also take a G26 over a G27 any day of the week.

Since I have never found a situation where a G26 was easier to carry than a G19 or M&P--as such, I recently got rid of all my G26's and will just use G19's and M&P's when I want a relatively compact polymer pistol. The HK P30 is another good option.

jhs1969
03-28-10, 20:13
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43242

My next purchase will likely be a G26, I already have a G19. After that I will replace the G17 I sold ealier this year (bad year). Don't buy into the "a .40 is better than a 9mm" thing. A good 9mm +P HP is a good, dependable choice, IMO. The 9mm Glocks have, again IMO, proven to be the most reliable Glocks, not to mention that 9mm is cheaper (read; more practice) than probably any other defensive caliber. I also think the M&P series is a very good choice as well, I've owned a full size M&P9 and a compact M&P9c. If I had to give up my Glocks I would either go with the M&Ps again (most likely) or with HKs. Get some range time on them both and go from there, both/either should serve you well.

good luck

Dragon Slayer
03-28-10, 20:18
The Glock 26/27 is a more compact pistol then the M&P compact and will fit in a pocket better. In my opinion the M&P compact is between the G26/27 and a G19/23 in size and the Glock 26/27 as a weapon that has proven itself is my choice over any other gun of similar size.

The G27 is probably one of the most versatile guns ever made that with a change of factory barrel can become a 357 Sig and with a change of an aftermarket conversion barrel can become a 9mm so it is 3 guns in one and in my book it is superior to the G26 and definitely the M&P compact.

The Glock is easier to maintain, fix or find parts for, it is also easier to strip into all its parts and cheaper in the cost of parts and magazines.

Now this is my opinion I might be wrong and I also agree that the M&P is a great gun fits my hand better and if I could not own a Glock then the M&P would be my second choice and the XD my third choice.

jhs1969
03-28-10, 21:38
sounds good, I think Im sold on the M&P, should I go 9mm or .40?

Would you let some else choose your wife? The car you will drive? The type of music you will listen too?

You've been given some good advice here, now go do your part and try out the different brands, calibers etc and make your own choice based on your own knowledge. You shouldn't have much of a problem finding someone to let you shoot a Glock or M&P (rental range maybe?). If that fails then at least go to some gun shops and handle them so you can begin to form your own opinion. Plese don't live your life on the 'net, it is your final decision. Learn as much as you can, there are many good people here with good advice, use that as a guide as to where to begin.

good luck

matt86
03-28-10, 21:43
I actually shot a G22 this past weekend and it shot pretty sweet, thats why i began considering the .40. just havent ran across a m&p yet.

jhs1969
03-28-10, 21:59
May I also suggest going to Wal-mart and local gun shops and check out ammo prices. That may give you an idea as to how much practice you can/want to do. If you were near Knoxville I could point you to a shop with a rental range, do you have access to any rental shops in your area? Also keep up your research here, there has been a ton of information posted on both Glock's and M&P's here. I'm sure you will expand your knowledge base.

good luck

matt86
03-28-10, 22:16
I do but unfortunately they dont have the M&P for a rental. Maybe I should just get both. Im sure the wife would understand.:D

Ga45fan
03-28-10, 22:54
If you are near Atlanta you can rent the M&Ps at most of the ranges in town. The range in Oakwood, near Gainesville, has both FS and compact guns for rent in 40 and the compact in 9mm. The place looks like it's closed but the range entrance is to the side.

Bullseye in Cumming has a M&P 45 in their rental display. The Bullseye range is nicer with a better staff and selection but they only have the one M&P for rent. They also have a Kahr CW9 for rent if you want to look at something smaller and slimmer than the Glocks and M&Ps.

Both Bullseye and the American Handgunner range in Norcross have just about every Glock made for rent.

M4arc
03-29-10, 19:24
I have a glock 19 now, just wanted something a little smaller for summer carry...

Based on this statement and the fact that I'm an advocate of sticking to one platform for familiarity, ease of support and sharing of holsters, spare parts and gear I recommend you stick with 9mms and try the G26. All the controls will be the same and you'll be able to leverage what you've invested in holsters, spare mag holders and most parts.

Several years ago I was in the same position where I wanted something a little smaller for summer carry. Not being a very big guy a 1/2 inch here or there can make quite a difference so I looked at the M&P9c and the G26. Size wise the M&P9c was closer to my G19 and I would of had to buy new holsters and I didn't see much point in flip-flopping back and forth between a Glock and an M&P so I went with the G26.

It turns out I loved the little thing so much I carry it a lot more than I thought I would and can conceal it easier than my G19.

Check out Greg Bell's "Year with the Glock 26" thead HERE (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43242)

CQC.45
03-29-10, 22:06
The M&P40c isnt bad at all. The platform really does a great job of taming the .40 IMO. However, if you already have a G19 than maybe you should consider a G26.

Dragon Slayer
03-30-10, 16:45
The M&P40c isnt bad at all. The platform really does a great job of taming the .40 IMO. However, if you already have a G19 than maybe you should consider a G26.

+1 specially when you can use G19 mags as spares it makes a lot of sense.:)

spj
03-30-10, 19:05
The glock 27 is smaller if you wear baggy pants and ever want to pocket carry. I carry mine in the winter with a promag grip adapter with a g23 magazine. I use an Aholster pocket for sumer time. The 27 and 26 are proven guns. If you already have a caliber in one, stick with it between the 9 and 40 unless you are recoil shy, go with the 26.