txbrenek
03-28-10, 19:58
any bushmaster owners out there patrol model m4 a2

geminidglocker
03-28-10, 20:00
UHHH...??? What??:confused:

randolph
03-28-10, 20:13
admitting that HERE is identical to wearing a sign on your back that says "Kick Me" :p

jhs1969
03-28-10, 20:16
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

:confused::mad::(:eek::p;):):D:cool:

Redhat
03-28-10, 20:24
Yeah I have a BM....and I enjoy shooting it.

No big deal to me, it is what it is.

halo2304
03-28-10, 20:35
'round here Colt is Cadillac and Bushmaster is Pontiac! :p
I ought to own a Bushy since I live less than 45 minutes from their Windham location. I did once and, admitedly, I kinda miss it.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0505.jpg

citizensoldier16
03-28-10, 21:42
My rifle started out life as a BM patrol carbine...but then I found this forum. I've since spent my time (and a considerable amount of my $$) to fix the problems I found with it. When I build my second rifle, I will be using many of the higher-quality parts I've found out about via this forum.

Find "The Chart" and you'll see what I mean.

All in all, your BM (as well as mine) isn't a bad gun...its just not top of the line. You'll need to fix a few things to get it up to speed. I recently ran mine through a local carbine course and it performed flawlessly.

Welcome to the site. Take a look around and read all the "stickies" at the top of each forum. There's a plethora of information in them. I suggest reading as much as you can before posting. If you have questions, do a search...chances are somebody has already asked the same question or has the same problem. Oh, and don't take offense if people call your BM a "lower tier" rifle. They're good rifles, but they have manufacturing and design errors...many of which can be fixed easily and for not too much green.

Redhat
03-28-10, 21:58
Was your unreliable or did parts break?

Mine has been fine for my plinking /practice purposes so far.

Fuzzy-Reticle
03-28-10, 22:01
I think Bushmaster doesn't get the credit it should. They were making AR-15s long before most of the makers out there doing it now. Admittedly they are not milspec but they make a decent commercial rifle.

citizensoldier16
03-28-10, 22:18
Was your unreliable or did parts break?

Mine has been fine for my plinking /practice purposes so far.

Nothing broke because I didn't give it a chance. The staking on the original bolt and the castle nut was unsatisfactory so I improved it. The original bolt and carrier were not high pressure or magnetic particle tested, so I replaced them with a BCM bolt and carrier. The FSB was not F marked, so I had to replace the front sight post with a taller one to work with my BUIS. I replaced the butt stock with a MOE stock. I also added an ambi safety. Things like that.

smokenssz
03-28-10, 22:19
I have a Bushy I love it...But mine is far from what it was when I bought it...I have replaced most parts in it as well. but I had alot fun putting what I wanted on it though:D My next rifle will be a D&D or build

lethal dose
03-28-10, 22:43
I wish I were a moderator. Was on an auto forum. Anyone? Templar? Close this thing.

m1a_scoutguy
03-28-10, 23:05
I think Bushmaster doesn't get the credit it should. They were making AR-15s long before most of the makers out there doing it now. Admittedly they are not mil-spec but they make a decent commercial rifle.

Well I know I'll get pushed in the corner and get multiple Butt Plates in the face,,,,but with that said,,I love my Bushy !!!:D I bought it several years ago and have added sights,,rails,,triggers,,etc,,but the Bolt is still the original bolt,,I did add the HD extractor spring and donut though ! I have taken a couple carbine courses,,,6/700 Rd's plus for the day,(0 Malfunctions) I also shoot several Carbine type shoots during the Summer,,we typically shoot 75/80 Rd's per round,,normally under or around 2 min. time frame,& I normally shoot through the course 3 or 4 times with a total of 250/300 rds total for the day,the rifle has never let me down !! For "Me" its a great rifle,,are there better rifles,,probably,,can Mil-Spec rifles fail,,sure,but for the Ole Man (I'm 56 :eek:) I'll keep my Bushy around for awhile longer !! :) Here is a pic of my Bushy(R) along with my Sabre 18 Inch SPR Build (L) !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/m1ascoutguy/Bushy16Carbine.jpg

OTO27
03-29-10, 01:40
I own a bushy M4A3, and it has served me just as well as my colt LE6920.

Spiffums
03-29-10, 15:53
'round here Colt is Cadillac and Bushmaster is Pontiac! :p
I ought to own a Bushy since I live less than 45 minutes from their Windham location. I did once and, admitedly, I kinda miss it.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0505.jpg

HEY MY MOTHER DRIVES A PONTIAC!

1997 Grand Prix, purple !!! 1st year they did the wide body style.

I have an old bushmaster but its a heavy barrel. It does good for my needs......... looks good on the wall.

Blowby
03-29-10, 16:55
Bushmaster M4A3 here as well. I have trained without a hitch. Did the typical mods that you should check or do anyway. Typical 200-300 in 2 hours and a good day with about 900 in 3 hours at the Sig Fall gathering in CO. I've put 2683 rounds through it in 15 months, so I'm a happy Bush user.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/photopost/data/721/medium/P1060680.JPG

halo2304
03-29-10, 17:20
Bushmaster makes OK products. Given the choice, I'd take a Bushy over an Olympic. I put Bushmaster in the same catagory as RRA and Stag. Acceptable quality for range use but not sure I'd take it to war.

Steve in PA
03-29-10, 17:58
We run with Bushmaster M4A1's. No problems or issues. No spending money to "fix" things...........whatever that means.

My personal rifle is a Bushmaster M4A3. Other than adding the Bravo Company extractor upgrade, nothing has been done to the rifle except the addition of Magpul stock and handguard for a better feel.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/0320001722.jpg

Redhat
03-29-10, 18:01
So is that the rifle grip that came with it? :D

smokenssz
03-29-10, 18:55
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1957/12787346/22751241/378582706.jpg

Fine heres my Bushy:cool:

JHC
03-29-10, 19:05
Yes got one of those in the safe. It hasn't gotten much range time vs the favored N4s and LMT but it's performed fine in its light duty so far. I mean to upgrade it's BCG one of these days.

jhs1969
03-29-10, 20:28
I wish I were a moderator. Was on an auto forum. Anyone? Templar? Close this thing.

I'm afraid I agree with this. I was skeptical about posting in a Bushmaster thread, now I'm sorry I did.

Look guys, I posted a link to a thread early on this one. I strongly suggest you guys check out the chart to find where BM stands in relation to other makers. Also check out the "Oh no..." thread. It will give you some ideas as what you may want to think about if you own a BM. If you're only going to use it as a range toy then shoot it till it stops. If you intend to depend on it in any way I would suggest at least getting the BCG properly staked, along with the castle nut once you get your prefered stock on it.

All this back slapping over owing a BM reminds me of TOS, this is not a good thing IMO.

This is coming from someone who has owned 16 BM's, and now I own "0". I've never had much trouble from BM's but I never ran them hard. With the exception of last year, I've been running my carbines more often and a little harder. I also depend on my carbines. I made some of the recommended changes to my last BM and was confident with it afterwards, but I was also glad to get rid of it and replace it 3 years ago with a LMT. Now I run a 6920 and my wife the LMT. With todays prices I see no reason to go with a BM when you can get a Colt, BCM or DD for very little more (if any).

Please don't get the impression I'm knocking on anyone who owns a BM, I'm not. I just would like to see these people expand their knowledge. It is not the end of the world if you bought a BM, it can be improved greatly over what the factory boxed up with very few changes. I'm very much pleased when I see a BM owner who has educated himself and has made his into a much better carbine.

Again, please check out the "Knowledge base threads".

smokenssz
03-29-10, 20:39
I'm afraid I agree with this. I was skeptical about posting in a Bushmaster thread, now I'm sorry I did.

Look guys, I posted a link to a thread early on this one. I strongly suggest you guys check out the chart to find where BM stands in relation to other makers. Also check out the "Oh no..." thread. It will give you some ideas as what you may want to think about if you own a BM. If you're only going to use it as a range toy then shoot it till it stops. If you intend to depend on it in any way I would suggest at least getting the BCG properly staked, along with the castle nut once you get your prefered stock on it.

All this back slapping over owing a BM reminds me of TOS, this is not a good thing IMO.

This is coming from someone who has owned 16 BM's, and now I own "0". I've never had much trouble from BM's but I never ran them hard. With the exception of last year, I've been running my carbines more often and a little harder. I also depend on my carbines. I made some of the recommended changes to my last BM and was confident with it afterwards, but I was also glad to get rid of it and replace it 3 years ago with a LMT. Now I run a 6920 and my wife the LMT. With todays prices I see no reason to go with a BM when you can get a Colt, BCM or DD for very little more (if any).

Please don't get the impression I'm knocking on anyone who owns a BM, I'm not. I just would like to see these people expand their knowledge. It is not the end of the world if you bought a BM, it can be improved greatly over what the factory boxed up with very few changes. I'm very much pleased when I see a BM owner who has educated himself and has made his into a much better carbine.

Again, please check out the "Knowledge base threads".

I know what you are saying about BM. It needs work and when I buy another carbine it probably wont be a BM. I do love my rifle though! I have spent alot of money on the internals of my BM (Milspec buffer tube, M16 BCG, Timney trigger, Colt bolt catch, ST-T2 buffer, KNS pins). I had a blast modding this thing out so I did not mind doing the upgrades. One thing I was lucky that mine came with M4 feed cuts

Don Edge
03-29-10, 20:47
Bushmaster makes OK products. Given the choice, I'd take a Bushy over an Olympic. I put Bushmaster in the same catagory as RRA and Stag. Acceptable quality for range use but not sure I'd take it to war.

OK What would you take to war or as a patrol AR? How would you set it up?

ghost762
03-29-10, 21:41
I was looking for a BM when the guy at Impact Arms in Boise got me to get a Rock River. I consider the RR a small step up from the BM. If I was to buy what most people on here buy I'd need a to drive a BMW M3 too. I'm not that rich nor do I shoot enough to warrant a BMW level AR.

jhs1969
03-29-10, 21:56
I know what you are saying about BM. It needs work and when I buy another carbine it probably wont be a BM. I do love my rifle though! I have spent alot of money on the internals of my BM (Milspec buffer tube, M16 BCG, Timney trigger, Colt bolt catch, ST-T2 buffer, KNS pins). I had a blast modding this thing out so I did not mind doing the upgrades. One thing I was lucky that mine came with M4 feed cuts

Good for you, sounds like you made it into an excellent carbine. It's good to see people dive into the details, and they are better for it. So many people get PO'd and refuse to belive their XYZ is not up to the standards of ABC. I was in the same boat a few years ago, I got mine up to speed as well but I'm glad to have moved on to a Colt and LMT. Again, good for you and good luck.

jhs1969
03-29-10, 22:11

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Go here and learn as much as you can. Try to choose from as far left on the chart as you can. I personaly prefer the top 3 but would not want to choose less than the top 6.

How to set it up, I would recommend a good RDS (red dot sight), a good BUIS (back up iron sight), a good white light and a good sling.

You are at the right site to learn. Dig in and enjoy.

jhs1969
03-29-10, 22:18
I was looking for a BM when the guy at Impact Arms in Boise got me to get a Rock River. I consider the RR a small step up from the BM. If I was to buy what most people on here buy I'd need a to drive a BMW M3 too. I'm not that rich nor do I shoot enough to warrant a BMW level AR.

I understand what you are trying to say but I'll have to disagree. I bought my LMT seprate as a complete lower and a complete upper for $1056 about 3 years ago and got my 6920 2-3 months back for $1099. If you shop around (try gunbroker) you can find some good prices at this time. You don't have to sink a fortune for a good carbine at this time. Lets hope the current admin. does not change this anytime soon.

halo2304
03-29-10, 22:39

My Colt 6920 is my prefered carbine. I'm looking at adding an Aimpoint and maybe changing the Magpul sights to something else.

ghost762
03-29-10, 22:41
I understand what you are trying to say but I'll have to disagree. I bought my LMT seprate as a complete lower and a complete upper for $1056 about 3 years ago and got my 6920 2-3 months back for $1099. If you shop around (try gunbroker) you can find some good prices at this time. You don't have to sink a fortune for a good carbine at this time. Lets hope the current admin. does not change this anytime soon.

WOW I paid $890 for my RR in 06". I was young and not as wise then.

jhs1969
03-29-10, 23:22
WOW I paid $890 for my RR in 06". I was young and not as wise then.

I know what you mean, I've learned more from the "school of hard knocks" than I would liked to have, and will probably continue to learn until I die. This site has been invaluable to AR owners, I hope I've helped.

baffle Stack
03-29-10, 23:32
Any gun can run fine, Shruby included, a great running gun is nothing to shun, regardless the rollmark.:D

01tundra
03-30-10, 08:53
If I hadn't started with a BM I may have never learned how to work on this platform like I have.

I'm happy with how mine's turned out, if I had it to do over again I would have started from scratch though.

The only few things I've done to mine to get it like I wanted is -

Staked receiver extension nut
BCM bolt carrier group
McFarland one piece gas ring
BCMGunfighter Charging Handle (medium)
Shaved FSB
Daniel Defense LITE 10.0 hand rail
YH Phantom FS
Daniel Defense QD rear sling attachment plate
Daniel Defense front rail sling swivel
Harris BRM-S bipod w/ Larue LT706 QD mount
Troy Tritium HK folding front sight
Troy Tritium Di-Optic folding rear sight
ACOG TA33G-H
Mil-Spec receiver extension
Sprinco "red" spring w/ "H" buffer
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE grip w/ bolt & fire pin storage mod
Magpul B.A.D.
Magpul AFG
Geissele SSA trigger

See.....that's it :D

C4IGrant
03-30-10, 09:06

Interesting. What did you pay for it?

Are you aware that you could have gotten the following weapons for under $1k by buying the upper and lower seperately?

1. LMT
2. BCM
3. DD (w/hammer forged barrel)

C4

txbrenek
03-30-10, 19:58
Thanks guys for backing me . I did not know when I started this tred I would get flamed for owning a bushmaster . I have staked the keys and the castlenut I put a brovo comp. black insert and spring and the 'o' ring I have had it for 4yrs and have put a lot of rounds though it with no trouble like 1,000 rds and a lot of monarch stealcase with no ftf fte it just ate it up like candy

SWATcop556
03-30-10, 21:08
Thanks guys for backing me . I did not know when I started this tred I would get flamed for owning a bushmaster . I have staked the keys and the castlenut I put a brovo comp. black insert and spring and the 'o' ring I have had it for 4yrs and have put a lot of rounds though it with no trouble like 1,000 rds and a lot of monarch stealcase with no ftf fte it just ate it up like candy

FWIW 1000 rounds in 4 years is not a lot of rounds.

jhs1969
03-30-10, 21:18
FWIW 1000 rounds in 4 years is not a lot of rounds.

What he said;

If this is your SOP, then a BM will probably serve you well for a long time. Many guys here will put 1000+ rounds through a carbine in a 2-3 day training class. This is usually when the lesser brands will begin to have problems. No one here intended to flame you, txbrenek. The purpose of this site is to help educate it's members on the M4 type carbines, not flame those who don't own a top shelf carbine. You have already made corrections to BM's most common faults. May I also suggest getting a good bolt, at least to have on hand for a spare.

good luck

Redhat
03-30-10, 21:21
This thread really morphed,

The OP simply asked if there were any other BM owners here.

jhs1969
03-30-10, 22:34
This thread really morphed,

The OP simply asked if there were any other BM owners here.

This site is not a BM, Oly, DP**, fan site. This site was set up by pros to help inform and educate (IMO). TOS is known as an AR "anything" fan site. I've never seen anyone post anything on lower tier brands without receiving suggestions on where to look in order to gain more knowledge of AR brands and any improvements they may want to consider. I'm really thankful for the BM owners who posted with the corrections/improvements they have made, I did the same thing when I had my last BM. I hope the OP came away with more knowledge and new things to think about. I feel it would be a disservice to pat him on the back and say "job well done" and send him on his way, especially if he intends to protect him and his with it. I only see these posts go south when unknowledge people step forward and start making claims that my X is "just as good as" Y. Many people have worked hard, for no reward, to get the most accurate information available to us "regular" people. Hopefully a few people have been helped by this thread.

Redhat
03-30-10, 22:55
I think most will pick that up after just a few minutes of reading information here. :cool:

jhs1969
03-30-10, 23:23
I think most will pick that up after just a few minutes of reading information here. :cool:

I agree, but so many just seem to jump in without reading the knowledge base threads. I try to never belittle someone (unless they are just stupid:eek:, then I try to move on without getting involved;)), I normally refer them to said knowledge threads. I think this usually gives them the info they are looking for without taking the risk of being misunderstood.

I grew up on BMs in the late 80's early 90's. So I've been in this boat before, I've learned alot from this site. I just didn't know what I didn't know. It is an ever evolving AR world, M4C has been more helpful than any site I've found on the AR system. I hope they stick around and keep learning if they are really into AR's.:cool:

01tundra
03-31-10, 09:52
I agree, but so many just seem to jump in without reading the knowledge base threads. I try to never belittle someone (unless they are just stupid:eek:, then I try to move on without getting involved;)), I normally refer them to said knowledge threads. I think this usually gives them the info they are looking for without taking the risk of being misunderstood.

I grew up on BMs in the late 80's early 90's. So I've been in this boat before, I've learned alot from this site. I just didn't know what I didn't know. It is an ever evolving AR world, M4C has been more helpful than any site I've found on the AR system. I hope they stick around and keep learning if they are really into AR's.:cool:

I usually over analyze every purchase I make......I guess it's an engineer thing. The BM was an impulse purchase for me, based on a good price (at the time). Had I followed my normal thought process, I would have came across the knowledge based threads first and it would have likely swayed the choice. But it's here now, so I figured I might as well make it all that it can be........I'm just a few parts away from it being a total different animal now anyways :D.

C4IGrant
03-31-10, 12:21
I usually over analyze every purchase I make......I guess it's an engineer thing. The BM was an impulse purchase for me, based on a good price (at the time). Had I followed my normal thought process, I would have came across the knowledge based threads first and it would have likely swayed the choice. But it's here now, so I figured I might as well make it all that it can be........I'm just a few parts away from it being a total different animal now anyways :D.

When I first got into AR's I was ONLY interested in varmint hunting (this was a VERY long time ago). So I bought a bull barreled RRA. It was fine for its intended purposes, but quickly sold it once I started to do some digging.

So everyone buys a gun they regret and we ALL started somewhere. I wish that I knew Vickers or Hackathorn in the late 90's. If I had, I would have owned a Colt and wouldn't have had to sell it.

C4

ryanm
03-31-10, 12:41
I guess I have to add my 2cents. I have a variety of AR15 platform rifles, I own a Bushmaster ORC and at this point, all that remains of the original rifle is the barrel, upper/lower forgings, d-ring, gas tube and gas block. When I start taking carbine classes (in my fantasy future that does not involve me being in Iraq), I will probably take my Bushmaster and my S&W vs. my other rifles because at the end of the day--if those rifles look like they've been through WW2, Korea, Vietnam and OIF--I won't care. As long as I can keep it running and not cause myself hiccups in the course, I won't be bothered that I've totaled the rifle functionally or cosmetically. That means some other very nice rifles are probably more safe queens than they should be, but I guess that's just how I look at the situation.

If I took my KAC FDE SR15 to a class and scratched the hell out of it I'd be pissed at myself! Likewise if I had one of my centurion builds hit the 20K round mark and that douglas barrel started to give up the ghost I wouldn't like that either.

So for me, BM is an effective solution for its intended purpose--reliable beater/don't feel bad gun

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/iact9a/Bushmaster1.jpg

CAS-V EL
Titan/Troy stubby sights
LMT SOPMOD on VLTOR extension with H2 buffer
AAC MITRE flash suppressor/adapter
Bobro Long Vert Grip
Ergo Suregrip
Fail Zero BCG with Ti firing pin
Colt LPK with LMT Ambi safety
PRI Gasbuster CH
Not pictured is Aimpoint T1 on KAC mount (Sitting in boxes at home, hoping to be able to setup absolute co-witness with stubby sites on elevated rail--we'll see what the options are)

Triton28
03-31-10, 13:19
Sounds like the OP's Bushy is doin fine the way it is. Any parts or upgrades to it is gravy... not required. It it were mine, I'd shoot the fire out of it and make it break. Upgrades are so much easier to justify that way. :D

When I first got into AR's I was ONLY interested in varmint hunting (this was a VERY long time ago). So I bought a bull barreled RRA. It was fine for its intended purposes, but quickly sold it once I started to do some digging.

So everyone buys a gun they regret and we ALL started somewhere. I wish that I knew Vickers or Hackathorn in the late 90's. If I had, I would have owned a Colt and wouldn't have had to sell it.

I hope you mean that the RRA was a mistake because your interests eventually shifted, and not because AR's shouldn't be used just to pick off furry pests.

Iraqgunz
03-31-10, 13:27
Bushamster issues are well-known among the knowledgeable AR enthusiast. Their shortcomings are not hearsay, they are fact.

The short list is tight chambers, non- HP/ MPI barrels and bolts, improper staking of the castle (if at all) and the bolt carrier key just to name a few.

We run with Bushmaster M4A1's. No problems or issues. No spending money to "fix" things...........whatever that means.

My personal rifle is a Bushmaster M4A3. Other than adding the Bravo Company extractor upgrade, nothing has been done to the rifle except the addition of Magpul stock and handguard for a better feel.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/0320001722.jpg

C4IGrant
03-31-10, 15:05
Sounds like the OP's Bushy is doin fine the way it is. Any parts or upgrades to it is gravy... not required. It it were mine, I'd shoot the fire out of it and make it break. Upgrades are so much easier to justify that way. :D

I hope you mean that the RRA was a mistake because your interests eventually shifted, and not because AR's shouldn't be used just to pick off furry pests.

I realized two things. The AR was built using only the cheapest parts and taht bull barrels are horrible idea. :D

C4

Strikeforcewombat
03-31-10, 16:31
My first AR was a bushmaster with an acog on it. It wasn't a bad rifle, but I realize now I was putting spinners on a Pontiac as said before lol. It is a nice rifle to start with I like to think as bushmaster as that kinda sweet not half bad looking practice girl you develop your "game" with before going after the prom queen.

I own a nice AR from Daniels Defense now and love it, but that bushmaster will always hold a special place. :p

Triton28
03-31-10, 17:18
I realized two things. The AR was built using only the cheapest parts and taht bull barrels are horrible idea. :D

C4

I think bull barrels are great if someone else is carrying it for me. :D