PDA

View Full Version : Well, I took the plunge.

QuietShootr
04-25-07, 20:15
After fingering the Arsenal underfolder, I came upon an identically configured Zastava-marked Yugo underfolder. No, it's not an Arsenal, but it's nice in its own right...and it relieves me of the (irrational, imo) desire for a $1300 AK.

I just tried to take a pic, and my camera didn't have enough charge to get it done.

Range report - I took it out and fired a hundred rounds through it this evening, and was very pleasantly surprised at how painful it WASN'T to shoot. The stock is tight and locks up without play, and recoil and so on were really no big deal.

This is my first AK, and I kind of like the ugly ****ing thing.

Pics to follow when my camera gets charged back up.

Robb Jensen
04-25-07, 20:19
Just wrap the stock in 550 cord and you'll be set. The Yugos are pretty nice.

TOrrock
04-25-07, 20:38
Sounds great. Bear in mind that they those don't have a chrome lined barrel so be sure to clean the rifle if you're using corrosive surplus ammo.

Give it a chance and these things grow on you.......:D

QuietShootr
04-25-07, 20:40
Just wrap the stock in 550 cord and you'll be set. The Yugos are pretty nice.

Cool. I may add an Ultimak rail to it, one of my friends put one on his Yugo and mounted up an Aimpoint, and it's low enough to lower third co-witness. After so much time behind an Aimpoint, irons just suck...

QuietShootr
04-25-07, 20:41
Sounds great. Bear in mind that they those don't have a chrome lined barrel so be sure to clean the rifle if you're using corrosive surplus ammo.

Give it a chance and these things grow on you.......:D

Yeah, I heard that about the barrel. There probably isn't a lot of corrosive left, is there? I was just shooting Wolf Military Classic.

Robb Jensen
04-25-07, 20:45
After so much time behind an Aimpoint, irons just suck...

I find that I shoot much more accurately with irons vs. non magnified optics, but I'm a whole lot faster with an Aimpoint or Eotech vs. irons.

QuietShootr
04-25-07, 21:01
I find that I shoot much more accurately with irons vs. non magnified optics, but I'm a whole lot faster with an Aimpoint or Eotech vs. irons.

Hmmm... I'm faster, and more accurate with the Aimpoint. Oh, well...I need to lay in a supply of magazines for this beast, and some spare parts, before I mess with that.

What breaks on AKs? I keep a pretty well stocked parts cabinet for my ARs and 1911s, so I'm not averse to working on it.

TOrrock
04-25-07, 21:13
From time to time surplus still crops up.

The Yugo M67 ball is great stuff, but corrosive. Same with the Hungarian MFS.

Pretty much treat any non commercial ammo in this caliber as corrosive.

Wolf is just fine. Try some Golden Tiger, it's made in the Vimpel plant and tends to have higher standards than the Wolf made by Tula.

Bulldog1967
04-25-07, 22:33
What breaks on AKs? I keep a pretty well stocked parts cabinet for my ARs and 1911s, so I'm not averse to working on it.

Nothing, thats why they are AKs! :D

Be careful, they tend to MULTIPLY! :D :) :D

TOrrock
04-25-07, 22:37
Stay away from US made mags, any country of origin for military mags are fine, they all work.

LukeMacGillie
04-26-07, 05:52
So this is what happens when I leave Indiana:cool:

Dont make me post the "Remove all tactical Accessories" pic.

Sure you can Tapco-F&^k an AK, but do you think the AK you pick up in a conflict zone is going to have an Aimpoint on it?

The only reason to own one IMNSHO is to train with for those times that your AR goes down. Remember when we were going to take that gig that issued AK's?

Given that Coalition forces are disarming PSD folks that are not working directly for them, the days of taking a gig that issues anything other than a US Govt Property M4 is long past.

Just my 2 Pesos, Now enjoy your AK, Just dont start thinking that Cuban Paratroopers are going to be a source of supply of Ammo and Mags:D

QuietShootr
04-26-07, 05:57
So this is what happens when I leave Indiana:cool:

Dont make me post the "Remove all tactical Accessories" pic.

Sure you can Tapco-F&^k an AK, but do you think the AK you pick up in a conflict zone is going to have an Aimpoint on it?

The only reason to own one IMNSHO is to train with for those times that your AR goes down. Remember when we were going to take that gig that issued AK's?

Given that Coalition forces are disarming PSD folks that are not working directly for them, the days of taking a gig that issues anything other than a US Govt Property M4 is long past.

Just my 2 Pesos, Now enjoy your AK, Just dont start thinking that Cuban Paratroopers are going to be a source of supply of Ammo and Mags:D

LOL...yeah, you're right. I don't have anyone around to administer on-the-spot corrections these days :D

M4arc
04-26-07, 06:29

I could happen! Either that or hordes of undead could be walking the earth...in either case I want an AK!

:p

Robb Jensen
04-26-07, 06:44
I could happen! Either that or hordes of undead could be walking the earth...in either case I want an AK!

:p

You have to watch out for the zombie chickens infected with birdflu. It's hard to get head shots on those little bastards. :p

Nathan_Bell
04-26-07, 08:18
You have to watch out for the zombie chickens infected with birdflu. It's hard to get head shots on those little bastards. :p

Yup, and then the little undead broilers still walk around for a bit. When I shoot a zombie in the head it should drop! Need to ban the zombie chickens :D

rhino
04-26-07, 10:41

Plus ammo is still cheaper. Not like it used to be, but cheaper than 5.56/.223. I'm thinking of getting one just so I can shoot more.

LukeMacGillie
04-26-07, 14:45
Plus ammo is still cheaper. Not like it used to be, but cheaper than 5.56/.223. I'm thinking of getting one just so I can shoot more.

If all I cared about was shooting, then I would keep to my flintlocks and Cowboy guns. They are fun, cheap to shoot but very little training value when your issue guns are M4's, Sigs or Glocks..........

QuietShootr
04-26-07, 18:13
If all I cared about was shooting, then I would keep to my flintlocks and Cowboy guns. They are fun, cheap to shoot but very little training value when your issue guns are M4's, Sigs or Glocks..........

Yup. You make a fine argument.

Anyway, it's just another tool in the box.

QuietShootr
04-30-07, 19:41
OK, here's my new Yugo. No, the girl isn't mine, but I figure she's easier on the eyes than me.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/479154319_2fd3268f0e_o.jpg

QuietShootr
05-01-07, 20:45
On further screwing with the thing, I think the #$9#* sights are canted. I had to drift the front sight way out to the right to get it to zero at 50, and the grenade sight isn't sitting squarely on top of the handguard.

How is Century about fixing these things?

TOrrock
05-01-07, 21:03
On further screwing with the thing, I think the #$9#* sights are canted. I had to drift the front sight way out to the right to get it to zero at 50, and the grenade sight isn't sitting squarely on top of the handguard.

How is Century about fixing these things?

First off....great pic! :D

Secondly.....Century is "OK" about that stuff. A certain amount of "cant" is sometimes acceptable with the AK, as long as you can still zero it and have a little adjustment left, they probably won't want to deal with it. If it's wacked all the way out, give them a call and see what they'll do.

QuietShootr
05-02-07, 20:13
Boy...the more I mess with this thing the more that cant pisses me off.

AK-47
05-07-07, 14:31
Congrats on the new purchase. I like the YUGO. I had problems with mine too. It wouldn't cycle properly. I contacted Century in VT thorugh their website and received a RA#. I sent the rifle to them and got it back within 3 weeks. They fixed the problem and didn't charge a dime to do it. Just explain to them what is wrong and I am sure they will take care of you.

I did have to pay for shipping one way. I think it was ~$20 with insurance.