PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

citizensoldier16
03-29-10, 03:21
Okay, I'm sitting here pondering something and I would like everyone's advice...

I have a like new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 that I don't shoot very much. I've put less than a box of ammo down the pipe since I bought it about a year ago. On the other hand, I really want an AK-47 and don't really have the green for it now. The 700 is currently wearing a Leupold VX-I and has a Harris bipod. I do a lot of deer hunting and have my handmade .308 with a Mauser action for that, so I don't hunt with the 700...its just sitting in my safe.

My question is do I sell the 700 or hold on to it? What does everyone think? Possible replacements include (plus or minus cash):

AK-47
G19
M1 Carbine or Garand (I have a soft spot for these rifles!)
Really nice digital camera (Rebel?)

CoryCop25
03-29-10, 05:38
Keep it! Awesome rifle with tons of available upgrades.

John_Wayne777
03-29-10, 06:14
Selling a gun you never shoot and are ambivalent about to obtain one you'll use and enjoy is never a bad decision.

arizonaranchman
03-29-10, 10:24
I've trimmed down my battery over the past several years. I'd accumlated quite a few guns that I liked but simply wasn't using nor did I forsee using them in the future. So rather than 15 or so longarms I've trimmed it down to 6 or 7 that I use regularly. Each sort of has a niche that the others don't fill, so not much overlapping of task/purpose like I used to have. I can see your point in selling the M700 if you absolutely don't use it nor plan to.

I guess it comes down to what ultimately are your guns intended for? Fun? Plinking? Defense? Of course they all fill those categories usually, but when push comes to shove what are they for? I see hard times ahead for the economy, etc so many of us won't have the loose change laying around that we have had over the past decade or so for "extra" expenses. If this is not your situation then great, but I know for me I'm keeping things simple and focusing on a smaller battery of guns and keeping them fed with ammo and set up with good gear rather than buying more and more guns.

Is the AK a toy you "want" more than a tool you "need"? To me at least if I had one or more good AR's and a good long range rifle like this M700 I'd be seeing an AK as more of a toy/fun gun than a serious replacement for the M700. The two have nothing in common as far as task/purpose so this would be the focus of my consideration.

JMHO...