PDA

View Full Version : Which stock for a SPR

Alex V
03-29-10, 14:43
Now that my tax return has come in, woo hoo for the New Home Buyer's Credit! I an going to begin ordering parts for the SPR I want to build.

I am debating my stock options.

Recently I noticed that the wackey non mil spec stock on my BM [I know I know, dont judge me I live in NJ] was way out of spec. The reciever extention was something like 11.5" long, no where near the 7.25" it should be. I realised that this prevents me from being able to fire the rifle squared up to the target. I replaced it with a mil spec extention and MOE stock and after finding the perfect length, which was one click from fully collapsed I pinned drilled and pinned with with a couple of roll pins so I don't get arrested.

This is where the questions comes in, with an SPR type rifle, is the propper way to shoot it to also be squared up? Or since there will be some sort of magnified optic involved it is alright to be shooting it slightly bladed? Further back from the charging handle so give propper eye relief? I honestly don't know.

I am fairly short 5'-9" to 5"-10" [depending on if its morning or afternoon ;) lol] and had a hard time having my support hand much more forward than the mag well when I had the factory BM, BS M4 stock which streatched out a little more than 12" behind the reviever end plate. Now with the MOE and milspec extention I am able to have my support hand comfortable under the handgard.

Should I be looking for a similar stock option for the SPR, or should I be going with something in the A2 or A1 length, maybe an ACS [URB is more $ than I want to spend]?

I realise that with an MOE type stock the rifle will be nose heavy, but I have a hard time firing it comfortable if I am much further back.

Thanks for the help!

Skyyr
03-29-10, 15:19
I'd look at the ACE Socom stocks. Not only are they ban-compliant, but I think they fit the look and function of an SPR perfectly.

TehLlama
03-29-10, 17:26
I would consider the VLTOR A1 length Fixed MODstocks in your situation - should meet your needs and not break the bank. The plain A1's are really underrated, the Sully stocks are another good choice. The ACE SOCOM's work great, but I tend to prefer more weight in the back on an 18".
An ACS for EMOD with intentionall dunnage in the aft section is another option. Keeping a boresnake, spare batteries, firing pin, springs can be handy, and make it less noseheavy.

shootist~
03-29-10, 20:22
This is where the questions comes in, with an SPR type rifle, is the propper way to shoot it to also be squared up? Or since there will be some sort of magnified optic involved it is alright to be shooting it slightly bladed? Further back from the charging handle so give propper eye relief? I honestly don't know.

It's more setting the optic for proper eye relief with your natural stance than determining where the eye needs to be to get there. Your head will naturally be further up the stock when prone and especially so if you are in pucker mode and have the stock snugged up tight. You want to at least check it from there before you lock everything down.

I'm going with a UBR for an 18" Centurion DMR upper, but I don't have it yet.

Captains1911
03-29-10, 20:44
A2 or Magpul PRS

SWATcop556
03-29-10, 20:49
I like the UBR but the ACS is another viable option.

As long as you have good fundamentals and a proper stance, make the rifle fit you not the other way around.

Falar
03-29-10, 21:17
I vote UBR. If you think it is too much to spend I've seen them on sale for less than 200 recently.

Stickman
03-29-10, 21:29
Should I be looking for a similar stock option for the SPR, or should I be going with something in the A2 or A1 length, maybe an ACS [URB is more $ than I want to spend]?

The ACS works pretty nicely in similar roles, but it all boils down to what your own preferences are. The upcoming Vltor iMod is another option.

BCM 16" SS410 Upper with DD 12.0 rail, ACOG with ARMS mount, Magpul ACS Stock and MIAD on a Noveske lower. The bipod is made by Bobro, and the magazine is a 20 round Magpul PMAG.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/STCK0902-1024-Stick.jpg

nickh46
03-29-10, 21:47
I use a Calvary Arms A1 stock for my Centurion Arms SPR. Very pleased.

Alex V
03-30-10, 08:50
Thats for all the responces guys!

Looks like I have more choices than I thougth I did.

eternal24k
03-30-10, 09:16
I have them all (SOPMOD, ACS, CTR, PRS, etc) for a SPR I like the A2, but the SOPMOD or ACS would be my choice for a collapsible.

Alex V
03-30-10, 09:44
I have them all (SOPMOD, ACS, CTR, PRS, etc) for a SPR I like the A2, but the SOPMOD or ACS would be my choice for a collapsible.

The thing is, it won't be a collapsable. Sure it will start life out that way, but I would have to pin it in order to satisfy my need to not go to jail in the great state of New Jersey.

I originaly planned to use an A1/2 stock, but my only worry about them is that they will be too long for me. Whereas I can collapse the ACS stock all the way and perm. pin it to the buffer tube.

I can only assume that the ACS stock will be shorter if fully collapsed than an A1 or A2 stock.

eternal24k
03-30-10, 09:48
If you think the A2 might be too long than I suggest the A1 or Sully Stock.

LonghunterCO
03-30-10, 11:45
If you think the A2 might be too long than I suggest the A1 or Sully Stock.

I agree if you are going to have to pin then I would just go with the above.

Stickman
03-30-10, 12:00
Whereas I can collapse the ACS stock all the way and perm. pin it to the buffer tube.

Fit it to the size you want, then pin it in place. That allows you to set the weapon up the way that works best for you.

Mike Miller
03-30-10, 12:22
I really like my A1 size buttstock from Numrich. I don't see the problem with having no trapdoor (I never used it anyway), I'm not going to be buttstroking anyone, and its $6.50 (came out to about $14 with shipping and a screw to replace my A2 length one. But the stock had one in it anyway). Should probably add the screw anyway just to be safe.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=564720A&catid=7270

I originally had the A2 length just because it was what I had trained with for years and had gotten used to it, but after just a couple minutes playing around with the A1 stock mounted I can't ever go back to A2 length, don't have to stand so bladed anymore. Firing while moving seems like it will be much easier. And I'm 6'1" with pretty long arms.

For everyone that likes the Cav Arms A1 stock with a metal trapdoor, do you prefer that because of the texture of the trapdoor against your shoulder (doesn't slip)? Or is it for strength reasons?