PDA

View Full Version : G17 inbound....Now what???

BLACK LION
03-29-10, 19:56
I did a better search on the Glock 17 this time and although it turned up 26 pages worth I did not find what I was looking(of course I didnt troll through every page) for so here goes....
I was on the fence about what 9mm to get and the choices were between a G17 and M&P9.
I left nothing to chance and went for the G17. I am not displeased with the price as I did shop around retail sites and
private party sales for the best deals on BOTH.

So, its a done deal...G17 it is.

The reason for the thread is to find out what I should change from its factory configuration and where I can get it.
I do not know a whole lot about Glock pieces so I would like some assistance(of course mags, ammo, holster etc is a given).

Here are some ideas I had:

1. Factory plastic sights have to go and I would like to replace them with night sights.
2. I need an ambi mag release and any other ambi features that can be added(slide release etc)

3. Solid metal guide rod and applicable spring.

4. Trigger work.

5. Weapon light(I have an M6X but its bulky) I can get an M3X for 75.00 and I like how it feels on that gun... its light even with that light :)
More? Less?

??????????????????

Any input appreciated.

JHC
03-29-10, 20:01
IMO just a set of Warren sights of your preference and lots of ammo.

ThirdWatcher
03-29-10, 20:14
My Glock 17 came with nightsights, so the only thing I changed was the mag release to this: http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=59

I also ordered a bunch of spare mags, as the price and availability are great right now. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/glock.html

I don't know a lot about Glocks either, but I've known of issues (that coworkers have had) with the ambi mag release pushing against the side of the holster and inadvertently releasing the mag.

M4arc
03-29-10, 20:27
1. Factory plastic sights have to go and I would like to replace them with night sights.

I think your best bet is either Warren Tactical or Heinie Straight Eights. Of course Trijicons and Mepros work fine too.

2. I need an ambi mag release and any other ambi features that can be added(slide release etc)

Are you getting a Gen3 or 4 G17? If you're getting a Gen4 you can switch the mag release but other than that you're SOL on ambi controls. I do put the Vickers Tactical Mag Release in all my Glocks. You can purchase it HERE. (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=59)

Not necessary but if you want one Lone Wolf has several options

4. Trigger work.

You can use factory Glock parts (connectors and trigger springs) to achieve a wide array of trigger pulls, weights and resets. Get a #4.5 connector and a NY1 spring (both available at Lone Wolf) and try different combos until you find one you like. I do not recommend the 25 cent trigger job that is found on the interweb. I've personally seen two different guys at the local range have serious issues after performing this modification.

5. Weapon light(I have an M6X but its bulky) I can get an M3X for 75.00 and I like how it feels on that gun... its light even with that light :)
More? Less?

I prefer the Surefire X200 or X300 but if you like the M3X and it fits your needs then enjoy!

See my comments in blue

Rider79
03-29-10, 20:47
NY1 trigger spring, 3.5 lb. connector, Vickers mag release, extended slide stop, and Warren 2 dot sights.

Oh yeah, and an X300.

Buck
03-29-10, 21:00
Congrats on your purchase... Here are some thoughts...

Learn how to shoot a Glock...
Straight 8 slant pro sights...
Vickers magazine relese...
Factory extended slide release...
Quality grip plug...
Surefire X 300...

B

SeaSoldier
03-29-10, 21:06
I can shoot a G19 all day long without my support engaging the slide lock. However with a G17 I will engage the slide lock by accident on my first Bill Drill with the oem slide lock. I would certainly not use and extended part. But that's just me. One of the main reasons I keep my G19 or the M&P9 instead of a G17. YMMV

ssgjason
03-29-10, 21:34

1. Factory plastic sights have to go and I would like to replace them with night sights. I really like my Trijicon
2. I need an ambi mag release and any other ambi features that can be added(slide release etc)don't know what to tell you, i like mine the way it is

3. Solid metal guide rod and applicable spring. NO, and if you want, to really bad I have a wolff and several springs I will sell you

4. Trigger work. 3.5# and $.25 trigger job

More? Less? I don't know this one either, I carry a Surefire

??????????????????

Any input appreciated.

All personal experience

Business_Casual
03-29-10, 21:50
I just did a low-light module at a recent class and I used an M3 on my Glock. I would say it is not adequate. I did the Harris technique with a Surefire Nitrolon and it was a lot brighter. I would say an X200 or X300 is the current standard for a weapon-mounted light.

B_C

citizensoldier16
03-29-10, 21:50
My G17 wears the following:

1) Trijicon night sights...still bright after 10 years
2) My ambi-mag release is my left hand middle finger :D
3) Stock guide spring
4) I like the stock trigger, so I didn't change it
5) Streamlight TLR-1

HK45
03-29-10, 22:55
Warren Tactical sights, one dot front and back, Vickers mag release. extended slide release, butt plug. Done.
You don't need the metal guide rod and spring.
You don't need trigger work.
Streamlight TLR-1 light. Better than the X3. Midway USA has them on sale. $92.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50379
CDNN has mags for $19.99 btw.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl179mm17man.html

I did a better search on the Glock 17 this time and although it turned up 26 pages worth I did not find what I was looking(of course I didnt troll through every page) for so here goes....
I was on the fence about what 9mm to get and the choices were between a G17 and M&P9.
I left nothing to chance and went for the G17. I am not displeased with the price as I did shop around retail sites and
private party sales for the best deals on BOTH.

So, its a done deal...G17 it is.

The reason for the thread is to find out what I should change from its factory configuration and where I can get it.
I do not know a whole lot about Glock pieces so I would like some assistance(of course mags, ammo, holster etc is a given).

4. Trigger work.

More? Less?

??????????????????

Any input appreciated.

John_Wayne777
03-30-10, 07:36

I'm particularly fond of the Warren 3 dot night sights as it's the best night sight picture I've ever tried. The front dot is larger and considerably brighter than the rear dots, which leads the front sight to be your natural focus in the dark. The rear dots are subdued and small but useful to instantly get a read on the alignment of the sights.

Then you bought the wrong gun. You can't make a Glock ambi. You can make it more lefty friendly with a factory extended slide release and a Vickers mag release, but it will never be ambi like the M&P.

Completely unnecessary. The G17 as it comes out of the box is perfectly functional. I would not advise replacing major components with aftermarket stuff off the bat. The Glock spring assemblies are cheap enough that you can replace them easily for the recommended intervals at a low price. (Interval is 5,000 rounds, IIRC)

4. Trigger work.

Again, unnecessary. You could add a new connector or a NY spring, but the improvement those actions will yield can be described as marginal at best. I would advise sticking to the stock trigger and learning to use it well.

More? Less?

My experience with the M3 products has been pretty dismal, so I'd skip that and opt for a Surefire X300 if money is no object or a TLR-1 if money is an object.

GermanSynergy
03-30-10, 08:04
Congrats on a wise purchase. Both the M&P 9 and Glock 17 are fine handguns, and either will serve you well. Here's my 2 cents...

1- Warren Straight 8 night sights. Tried em on a fellow M4C shooter's M&P 9 C and was so impressed I'm retrofitting all of my defensive handguns with them. They're that good.

2- Vickers / Tango Down Mag Release.

3- Stock OEM drop in guide rod/spring do just fine on the 17. No real need to change it, IMHO, unless you want a metal one.

4- Stock trigger

5- Surefire X-300 would be my first choice for a tac light, but there are other good ones out there.

Good luck and let us know how you like it! :cool:

Chameleox
03-30-10, 08:05
I'll humbly add 2 things to JW's list

More magazines

Ammo

I can now retire happy, knowing that I added something to whatever JW said:p.

BLACK LION
03-30-10, 12:24
Sound input from everyone. I really appreciate it guys!

As you can tell I dont know much about Glocks, only how they work and how to shoot one. In the past I have done well with a G19 despite the grip size.

From what I gathered:

* I can not/do not need to make the Glock "ambi" so I need to get over it and make it work(used to ambi controls):)

+ I can get the Vickers/TD extended mag release which should serve me well.

* I may not need and extended slide stop/slide release since there is a possiblitiy of an agressive grip driving the thumb into the mechanism and impeding proper function( I have large cup holders:eek:).

* I do not need to replace the OEM guide rod and spring with aftermarket gadgets since they are easy to come by and easy to replace if it goes down. Investing in spare OEM parts may be more wise. If I do go the rout of LW solid guide rod and spring it is clearly a personal preference and may or may not be a detriment to the function of the pistol.

* I do not need to fool with the OEM trigger out of the gate. It may be more wise for me to run a couple thousand through it and see how it settles before determining where to go. I am considering all the options but have noted that I should shy away from .25 cent errornet jobs. I would like to get better than OEM replacement parts anywhere applicable if there is plastique or cast items that are prone to breakage. I had heard tale from the sand box that ING were breaking parts and the guid rod was one of the main culprits. Albeit, just a tale but it still bleeped on my radar.

+ I should get the "butt plug" to keep grit out to the internals and it seems the Warren line of sights comes highly regarded. I am weighing them heavily but have not put my nose up to the other offerings out there.

I am also seeing many recommendations for the SF X200/X300 which does not surprise me since the are outstanding units...I just cannot afford one at the moment and an X400 is already on my B-day list;). I have an Insight M6X which has been beat by a few guns including my AR and it has held up just fine so I assume an M3X should be OK for now. I am not referring to the M3/M6 line as they are not the same as the X(xtreme) series and have more ruggedized specs.
They have some killer deals on streamlights and I have entertained them a few times but the X series from Insight has better specs and in some places near same pricing. I am also considering the new Insight WX-150 which looks pretty promising.
I would take an SF X-series anyday, over all the above.

I should of course, get more mags(especially while they are 20.00), a good holster, more ammo and more time on a dynamic range.

V/R

M4arc
03-30-10, 12:43
Excellent summary!

Tomahawk_Ghost
03-30-10, 16:14
http://www.ameriglo.net/sights

Ameriglo lamps are made by Trijicon. Use the "GSSF" coupon code to get I think 25% off your order. I've used Ameriglo's for years and haven't had any problems.

-Ace-
03-30-10, 17:04
Not much to add that everyone else hasn't.

But If its a Gen 3 (Non RTF), then id recommend a grip texture. The factory Glock grip is slick, especially with wet or sweaty hands. Having your grip textured, will give it a more confident feel and natural point of aim.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/aceboles/Guns/Glockgrips1of1.jpg

bubba04
03-30-10, 17:16
A light and lots of ammo!

I took out my G17 RTF today for the first time since I bought it last week, and it was the most enjoyable pistol I have shot. I liked even more then my 1911 9mm. I found I really liked the way it pointed.

BLACK LION
03-30-10, 17:36
Not much to add that everyone else hasn't.

But If its a Gen 3 (Non RTF), then id recommend a grip texture. The factory Glock grip is slick, especially with wet or sweaty hands. Having your grip textured, will give it a more confident feel and natural point of aim.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/aceboles/Guns/Glockgrips1of1.jpg

It is not the rough texture fram so I will be stippling it ASAP for sure. It is time consuming but its free and lasts forever.

Nice work done on those Ace!

Sparky5019
03-30-10, 17:49
I have to admit that the Aro-Tek Sure Touch Mag release is NICE! It is a little pricey but worth every penny! Your frame has to be punched but they will do it with 1 day turnaround and a VERY professional job!

Sparky

Moose-Knuckle
03-31-10, 08:36
I recently inquired to Mr. Vickers about his opinion in regards to modifications of a factory GLOCK gen 3 G17/G19 for duty use. Here is his response...

Heinie straight eights
my mag catch
stock trigger - 5 lb
buttplug

good to go

cheers

LAV

I consider this to be gospel and will be making these few upgrades to my pistols.

03-31-10, 09:25
I am warming to my new Gen 4 G17. Still shooting slightly left, but dry fire is smoothing out the trigger pull. I have Trijicon NS, they seem to have a POI slightly higher than I am used to.

sadmin
03-31-10, 10:34
i can tell you something to NOT get.. the Cominolli manual safety. I picked up a used g19 with one installed and im not a fan at all, my thumb has to be moved or it will rest on top of it; it will be removed.

tpd223
03-31-10, 22:42
What you need for your new G17;

Decent sights....

extra mags....

a good holster...

lots of ammo....

dry fire, lots and lots of it.

The rest is just silly.

HK45
04-02-10, 01:19
I can shoot a G19 all day long without my support engaging the slide lock. However with a G17 I will engage the slide lock by accident on my first Bill Drill with the oem slide lock. I would certainly not use and extended part. But that's just me. One of the main reasons I keep my G19 or the M&P9 instead of a G17. YMMV

Extended slide locks are a necessity for me on all Glocks. I find the oem too small to hit reliably and I have never engaged the slide lock by accident.

DocGKR
04-02-10, 02:29
In order of importance:

-- High quality training

-- Useful sights: Warrens or possibly an RDS, depending on your eyes and needs

-- Good butt plug, these work well: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13077/Product/SLUG_PLUG_trade__for_GLOCK_reg_

-- Extra magazines

-- Good holster

-- Lots of ammo

-- Extensive practice

-- Vickers/TD mag catch

-- A piece of mountain bike inner tube, 3M deck tape, or a skillfully applied soldering iron to enhance the grip

fourXfour
04-02-10, 06:16
This is my house/training gun. It's a 17C and I added the Vickers mag release, arredondo +5 mag extender, Ameriglo combat sights (no tritium), Crimson Trace laser and surefire X300.

I mainly got the laser grip for the beaver tail. Glocks tear my chubby hands up.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/edmateo50/Glock%20Pics/photo2-2.jpg

jp0319
04-02-10, 07:15
First of all good choice on the Glock.

Sights as you said and others have mentioned Warren or Heinie are the two I like
, extended Mag release, Action Job, Grip Job. Depending on weather or not you like finger groves and or if the grip is to big or thick for you. I hate the groves so I usually go to town with a dremel until I can send off for a professional job. I have my Glock 35 at Bowie tactical right now waiting on a grip texturing.

Slide stop really does not "need" to be either replaced or ambi but that is a personal choice, I dont know if anyone makes an ambi I have never seen one.

Moose-Knuckle
04-02-10, 07:53
-- A piece of mountain bike inner tube, 3M deck tape, or a skillfully applied soldering iron to enhance the grip

Doc, what do you think about the pre-cut "sand paper" decal panels for GLOCK grips?

http://www.decalgrip.com/sys-tmpl/door/

DocGKR
04-02-10, 10:49
Any grip tape is fine, although I prefer ones that do not shed their grit or tear-up clothing...

DocGKR
04-02-10, 10:52
fourXfour--How is that "C" model working for you when shooting from retention, or at night, or with 500-1000 rounds a day during a high intensity training period?

In general, we avoid the "C" model Glocks like the plague...

fourXfour
04-02-10, 18:44
fourXfour--How is that "C" model working for you when shooting from retention, or at night, or with 500-1000 rounds a day during a high intensity training period?

In general, we avoid the "C" model Glocks like the plague...

the C model is just fine. It was a gift from the future father in law and it is just fine for the usual dry fire/range accuracy training. By training, I mean my fiance's training. The reduced recoil isn't noticeable to me, but she likes the gun.

My duty gun is a glock 22, which has other reliability issues which we have already discussed in person in the past.

My new toy is an M&P .45. I like it, but the reset sucks. My 2000 round intensive training is with Magpul in October in San Jose. I'll probably use the M&P as I really want to test the system. San Jose is in your neck of the woods are you going to be there?

DocGKR
04-02-10, 19:24
"It was a gift from the future father in law and it is just fine for the usual dry fire/range accuracy training. By training, I mean my fiance's training. The reduced recoil isn't noticeable to me, but she likes the gun."

Good reasons to keep it! I was worried you might be considering it for more serious use.

If your M&P does not smooth out enough after firing it, you might want to try a PC sear or Apex sear for your M&P.

I'll likely be at the MPD course.

BLACK LION
04-05-10, 20:50
In order of importance:

-- High quality training : I "plan" on taking the combined CP/CEW course offered by TRI-CON this summer in LA. If all goes well I will be there. I need either a good boy letter from the DOJ or a Utah CCW to submit my app. Its only about an hour drive so I dont have to worry about travel and hotel fare. Its not often that those in "higher regard" make themselves available in these parts and with a 9mm I can actually affor high round, expert tutelage.

-- Useful sights: Warrens or possibly an RDS, depending on your eyes and needs{b]= I have been contempating a mini rds with a titium front post. Any suggestions on a unit and what is needed to affix it?[/b]

-- Good butt plug, these work well: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13077/Product/SLUG_PLUG_trade__for_GLOCK_reg_= I will be getting this one with my next brownells purchase since I get a discount on it from them. Thanks for the link.

-- Extra magazines: I am of the mind that at least 5 OEM glock mags would suffice. No more than 10 for a "basic load" or "bug out load". I am unsure of the longevity since they do have a plastic coat that I have seen cracked and swollen on elder OEM G19 mags?? I dont know if mags are something I need to stock up on while anticipating future need to replace them. I dont see this issue with any other pistol mags I have aside from maybe springs or floorplates....then again, they are steel.

-- Good holster= So many choices. Kydex for sure. I know I dont want buttons or retention straps or any moving parts that can break, cake or fail. I want a tight enough fit so I can be as dynamic as possible without it falling out on me. No retention type deals since I have seen the light on thier ability to cause potentially fatal problems. What do you suggest? Uncle Mikes, Blade tech, Comp-tac?? I am not a fan of Fobus or BH. OWB is a must and some sort of internal securing device is preferred...I just dont want any retention mechanisms other than a positive click when holstering.

-- Lots of ammo= With 9mm in abundance at my local Walmart as well as an abundance of milsurp this will be a non-issue. Night and day compared to my .45 which costs 2x as much or more and is hard to come by for a tolerable price by walk-in...even online. Remanufactured 9mm will be even cheaper than milsurp for me.

-- Extensive practice= A definite A-FIRM.

-- Vickers/TD mag catch GTG

I plan on stippling it myslef and unless something tragic happens it should look something like this: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=7020922daf&view=att&th=127d4f3af8473b77&attid=0.3&disp=thd&zw

Thanks for taking some time out to square things away DOC.