PDA

View Full Version : Duty Gun Evolution

Oscar 319
03-30-10, 02:22
Duty Guns. Your side arm. The gun that rides on your hip, day in and day out. The gun that gets banged around on door frames and rained on. The gun your life and the life of others may depend on at worst possible time. The gun that takes your daily abuse and is expected to perform.

I am currently in the process of switching over to a M&P 45 from a Glock 22. Some may think this is a leap forward, others a leap back. While going through my guns and duty gear, I began thinking of the guns I carried on duty, how they were carried and what led me to change. This does not include BUG's and off-duty carry.

Here is my Duty Gun Evolution.

Smith and Wesson 6906 9mm. This was a great gun. For a 3.5" barrel, it was extremely accurate. The only malfunctions this gun experienced was with filthy reloads. I carried this gun on and off duty for over 8 years and declined the opportunity to trade it for a issued Sigma (good choice), G17 and later a G23. The gun was carried in a Uncle Mike's duty holster. Issued ammo was Remington 124 grain +P Golden Saber's, and later Federal Tactical 135 grain +P's.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns001.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns006.jpg

Glock 17 9mm (Generation 2). After hiring on with a different department, I decided to succumb to the "plastic pistol" and give Glock a chance.

What can I say? It's a Glock 9mm....boringly reliable. It was carried in a Safariland 6280 SLS holster. Issued ammo was (is) Federal Tactical.

I switched to the G22 for the following reasons;

-The perceived need for a large caliber. At the time, locally, we were experiencing a lot of shootings involving vehicles. I wanted something with better barrier penetration.
- No light rails.
- The G22 was the most commonly issued/carried sidearm in my state.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns009.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns012.jpg

Glock 22 .40 (Generation 3). I have carried this gun for about 5 years, shot around 4,000 rounds through it and have yet to warm up to it. It has been carried/shot with a Glock light attached the majority of the time. Holsters used were a Safariland 6285 (until I broke it :eek:) and a Blade-Tech WRS holster. The gun has not had any major malfuctions. Ammo issued is Federal Tactical 180 grain. I often tell people the only reason I carry a G22 is because I carry a G27 for a back up. I like my G27.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns023.jpg

The Glock Light is a terrible light, but it works. Honestly, I can't believe it still works. The bezel has popped off after extended firing and I've super glued one of the wings on the paddles. Finding holsters is a pain too. On the plus side, it is made of the same material as the Glock frame and it is not too tight. It has ran side by side with G22's with attached M3's, TLR's and X200's and never malfunctioned. The batteries are stacked as opposed to side by side, which gives it a slim profile. It is the only light I will put on this gun.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns025.jpg

The 6285's demise can be read here; https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16001

After breaking the UBL, I swore off the holster. The gun also wobbled in the holster and it drove me nuts. From the pic above you can see the abuse the holster had been through.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns014.jpg

I've been using the Blade-Tech holster for about a year and a half. Initially, I really liked the WRS holster. The WRS release works, however, it has one critical flaw. The release requires an inward motion toward the body. If anything gets between the hoster and the belt line (coats and jackets), it prevents the inward motion, thus preventing the hood from releasing. Huge problem.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns027.jpg

Swith & Wesson M&P 45, .45 ACP.

I have had my M&P 45 since 2008 (MPU0### serial number). After over 1,000 rounds fired, I am finally convinced that I do want to carry it on duty. The trigger had smoothed out and the gun is way more accurate than me.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns042.jpg

The gun has Amierglo Bowie Tactical Operator amber/green night sights. It will be carried in a Safariland 6325 ALS holster with an X300. Duty ammo is Federal Tactical 230 grain.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns031.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns032.jpg

I love the ALS system. The gun sits solid in the holster, unlike the 6285. No wobble.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns046.jpg

I am really liking the Operator sights. This is a terrible picture, but you can see the contrast.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DutyGuns059.jpg

Sight picture with X300 activated.

If the M&P does not work out for me, I am going back to Glock 9mm's with X300's and calling it a day.

What is your duty gun evolution?

John_Wayne777
03-30-10, 07:29
3rd gen Smiths like the 6906 are highly underrated handguns, IMO.

Taran
03-30-10, 07:57
You talked a lot about why you swapped holsters, but not at all about why the switches in weapon.
Being new to the business (extremely,new, training starts Friday), I am curious why the switch from a 9mm to a .45?

I read as much as I could find and spoke with users of many different calibers and looked at the performance specs and decided to just start with a .45. Among .45s, nothing fit my hand quite like the 1911. So that's what I'll be carrying my first day. A tad light on mag capacity, but if it takes more than a shot or 2 at a range low enough to worry about reload time, I figure I'm probably screwed anyway.

I gotta say I like the look of that Blade holster. I'll have t check it out. Definitely going to have to keep the concerns you have in mind, though.

DocH
03-30-10, 08:13
Without a bunch of comment on each one,my duty guns went like this.Bear in mind I'm old.
S&W Mod 19 4 inch
Colt Combat Gov't
S&W Mod.39-2 . I don't care what anybody says,I loved these guns(I had two) and never a minutes trouble with either.Still an all time favorite for me.
Colt Combat Commander( 1 year only)
S&W Mod 28 Highway Patrolman,4 inch. A tough tank.
S&W Mod 586. Custom tuned. Another all time favorite
S&W Mod.629.Custom tuned,thinned trigger,round butted by an excellant smith.hammer profiled like the Colt Python. Used Win. Silvertips and Black hills semi wadcutters.
Glocks weren't around. Times have changed. I now run Glock 19's and 17's almost exclusively with no changes other than sights. Works for me. I'm really not even interested in anything else. The younger cops now have it made,with all the good choices available.

woodandsteel
03-30-10, 09:48
Oscar, that is a great write up. My department issues you your handgun. So, for us you only get the choice of a Glock 22 or 23.

My first two sidearms were both 2nd Gen Glock 22s. They had heavier triggers installed in them. The trigger pull was set to 8 pounds. I hated the Glock because of the trigger pull. However, when we switched to the Gen 3 Glocks, we were issued them with the standard 5.5 pound triggers. I have since warmed up to the Glocks. I currently carry a Glock 23c. When they issue us handguns again, I will probably go back to the 22. Hopefully they will drop the compensated barrels when they buy the next batch of guns.

DocH,

That is an interesting assortment of issued guns that you have/had there. I love old S&W revolvers, especially the Model 19. When I started my career, my department just made the switch from revolvers to the Glock.

When you carried the 629, did you carry actual magnum loads in it? Or did you carry .44 Specials?

Oscar 319
03-30-10, 11:06
You talked a lot about why you swapped holsters, but not at all about why the switches in weapon.
Being new to the business (extremely,new, training starts Friday), I am curious why the switch from a 9mm to a .45?

I read as much as I could find and spoke with users of many different calibers and looked at the performance specs and decided to just start with a .45. Among .45s, nothing fit my hand quite like the 1911. So that's what I'll be carrying my first day. A tad light on mag capacity, but if it takes more than a shot or 2 at a range low enough to worry about reload time, I figure I'm probably screwed anyway.

I gotta say I like the look of that Blade holster. I'll have t check it out. Definitely going to have to keep the concerns you have in mind, though.

For me it is no longer about caliber. I am perfectly fine with carrying a 9, 40 or 45. It is more a platform/system concern and the gun itself than caliber. I really didn't switch from a 9 to a 45, but rather from a Glock 22 to a S&W M&P 45.

If you are new I highly recommend a Glock 17 or 19. Cheap to shoot, reliable and super easy to find equipment and parts for. After a few years, you will begin to realize what works for you and what your needs are. IMO, a 1911 is a poor choice for a first duty weapon.

Like I said, if I find out I don't like the MP45 as a duty gun, I am going back to Glock 9's.

Good luck.

Oscar 319
03-30-10, 11:09
Without a bunch of comment on each one,my duty guns went like this.Bear in mind I'm old.
S&W Mod 19 4 inch
Colt Combat Gov't
S&W Mod.39-2 . I don't care what anybody says,I loved these guns(I had two) and never a minutes trouble with either.Still an all time favorite for me.
Colt Combat Commander( 1 year only)
S&W Mod 28 Highway Patrolman,4 inch. A tough tank.
S&W Mod 586. Custom tuned. Another all time favorite
S&W Mod.629.Custom tuned,thinned trigger,round butted by an excellant smith.hammer profiled like the Colt Python. Used Win. Silvertips and Black hills semi wadcutters.
Glocks weren't around. Times have changed. I now run Glock 19's and 17's almost exclusively with no changes other than sights. Works for me. I'm really not even interested in anything else. The younger cops now have it made,with all the good choices available.

Love it! I am excited about having a S&W back in my holster.

madisonsfinest
03-30-10, 12:27
I wish we didn't have to use the NY 8lb trigger! 5.5lbs would be much nicer I think.
Started with a Glock 17 Gen 2 i think. Switched to a Gen 3 Glock 22. Both worked flawlessly until I mounted a TLR-1 to the Gen 3 Glock 22. Switched the recoil and magazine springs, and it runs smooth again. I'm waiting for my Glock 27 to arrive. Thinking about trading in my Gen 3 Glock 22 for the Gen 4.

Detmongo
03-30-10, 13:42
started off with:
S&W m.10 still have it, still love it along w/a colt D.S.
S&W m.64 3" carried that along w/a S&W 640 in a palin clothes unit
Sig. 226 9mm w/the 640
Glock 19 2nd gen. w/the 640
Glock 19 2nd gen. w/640 ( was issued this g19)
Glock 19 3rd gen. w/glock 26 (still carry this combo today)

DocH
03-30-10, 13:42
Oscar, that is a great write up. My department issues you your handgun. So, for us you only get the choice of a Glock 22 or 23.

My first two sidearms were both 2nd Gen Glock 22s. They had heavier triggers installed in them. The trigger pull was set to 8 pounds. I hated the Glock because of the trigger pull. However, when we switched to the Gen 3 Glocks, we were issued them with the standard 5.5 pound triggers. I have since warmed up to the Glocks. I currently carry a Glock 23c. When they issue us handguns again, I will probably go back to the 22. Hopefully they will drop the compensated barrels when they buy the next batch of guns.

DocH,

That is an interesting assortment of issued guns that you have/had there. I love old S&W revolvers, especially the Model 19. When I started my career, my department just made the switch from revolvers to the Glock.

When you carried the 629, did you carry actual magnum. loads in it? Or did you carry .44 Specials? woodandsteel,I gathered from your user name that you like the revos.;) Me too. I carried the customed 629 when I was with a Sheriff's Dept.in an adjoining county. The Silvertips were magnums but unlike most of the Silvertip line they were slightly downloaded from full magnum. I believe most referred to them as a 3/4 magnum load. You could feel the smack in your hand but they were controllable in rapid fire. I fired that gun daily at a remote spot while on duty when I wasn't busy and cleaned it on my off day to keep my hand in. I was involved in a lot of drug interdiction stops on the interstate at the time and wanted some punch. I was mostly engaged in backing up a certain trooper on those stops who gained an awesome reputation for his felony arrests. The Georgia State patrol was testing the S&W 645 for duty use at the time.
They eventually adopted the 4506 and the 5906 giving troopers a choice between the two. The 44 was a sweet revolver.I eventually ended up trading it for something I "thought" I needed ,and I still miss it to this day.:(

woodandsteel
03-30-10, 14:01
Thanks, Doc. I was curious about what kind of loads were used in .44s.

My passion for old S&W wheel guns, not to mention old battle rifles and the old .22's I learned to shoot on, were part of the inspiration behind my screen name.

Taran
03-30-10, 15:03
If you are new I highly recommend a Glock 17 or 19. Cheap to shoot, reliable and super easy to find equipment and parts for. After a few years, you will begin to realize what works for you and what your needs are. IMO, a 1911 is a poor choice for a first duty weapon.

I can understand that. But after having my hands on Glocks, I can't bring myself to carry them. They don't feel right to me. Not loaded, unloaded or while firing. I'm very uncomfortable with them. It's even worse with the Springfield XDs and XDMs.

Then I picked up the 1911. It feels right. It doesn't make me uncomfortable and, unlike a couple other .45s I picked up afterward (and all the .40s), it doesn't feel like a toy.

I never even touched anything smaller than a .40. Statistics on the smaller calibers are bad and I always manage to wind up on the bad end of them even when they're good.

DocH
03-30-10, 15:33
Love it! I am excited about having a S&W back in my holster. Oscar ,I think you made a great choice.I've shot quite a few M&P's although I don't own one. The M&P is the softest shooting .45 I've ever fired. I'm perfectly happy with Glock 9mm's in my current civilian life. Some of that is economics 101,and the fact of utter reliabilty over the years,and I'm comfortable with the loads I carry.
However,if I were currently active on the streets,the M&P .45 would most likely be my first choice for a duty pistol,if I were given the option. Best of luck,sir.:)

Oscar 319
03-30-10, 21:53
started off with:
S&W m.10 still have it, still love it along w/a colt D.S.
S&W m.64 3" carried that along w/a S&W 640 in a palin clothes unit
Sig. 226 9mm w/the 640
Glock 19 2nd gen. w/the 640
Glock 19 2nd gen. w/640 ( was issued this g19)
Glock 19 3rd gen. w/glock 26 (still carry this combo today)

NYPD? I understand if you can't confirm or deny. :cool:

Detmongo
03-30-10, 22:13
Oscar,
yes just started my 26th year with them (i'm still havin to much fun to retire:D)

Oscar 319
03-30-10, 23:56
Oscar,
yes just started my 26th year with them (i'm still havin to much fun to retire:D)

Awesome! Congratulations, sick-o. :p Lots of experience there.

I would love to hear from Buck, and what he's carried over the years with that large West Coast agency he works for.

cfrazier
03-31-10, 00:03
First issued was a S&W 4006.
Sig 220 ( personal)
Sig 220R w/ x200B (personal)
And soon a Glock 21SF dept. issued. (New sheriff)

tpd223
03-31-10, 01:08
I started out in 1987 with a stainless Ruger Security Six .357mag, I already had one, we issued S&W model 66s, and since I shot a bunch and could carry the heavier personally owned duty revolver I did.

BUG was first a Colt Cobra then a Detective Special. Off-duty was a Speed Six 2 3/4" in .357mag, or sometimes a Taurus PT99 9mm.

Then we transitioned to 9mms, and I carried a S&W 5906, then a 5903, then a 5903TSW.

BUGs were over that time a 6906, 3913, S&W 940, then a 640, then a 642, all but the 940 I kept and used during that time period.

Then we had the short bit with carrying GLock 22s, BUG was a G27.

Since then we went to the G17 for issue, BUG is either a G26 or S&W 642.

Off-duty is now a Glock 19.

IMHO the 3rd gen S&Ws were highly underrated guns.

CoryCop25
03-31-10, 02:59
I started in 1999 with a Smith & Wesson 4006 with a bobbed hammer. It was the same hammer that comes on the 6906. Our chief at the time did not want us to be able to pull the hammer back (don't know the reasoning). I also worked part time at the neighboring department and carried a generation 2 Glock 21. In 2002 we traded the 4006s for generation 3 Glock 23s. I left the both departments and went to another department carrying Glock 23s. In 2005 I started at my current department and we were issued either the Sig 226 or the 228 in 9mm. I chose the 226 because I believe that a duty gun should be full size. We switched over to the generation 3 Glock 22 in 2008. I have fired many rounds through this pistol with an M3 attached 90% of the time and have had no problems with it. I recently picked up a part time job at the neighboring department to my full time department and I carry my personal Glock 23 with an M3 and a Laser Max.
As you can see, I live in PA and the state is littered with small part time departments (over 1300) making it hard to get a full time slot unless you try for the big cities. The positive thing about working in small departments is that you learn all of the aspects of police work. We work the road, handle our own cases and follow up and make the arrests. No passing it over to detectives because we don't have any. I have done my own criminal cases, evidence collection and processing. It makes for a long day sometimes.
Out of all the duty guns I carried, I liked the Glock 21 best. Second was the Smith 4006. Aside from the heavy weight, that gun just shot great!

lewis
03-31-10, 03:35
Started with a Gen 2 Glock 17.

Switched departments and was issued a Gen 2 23, then we traded those for different Gen 2 23's with night sights and our patch on the slide and then a couple of years ago we traded those for Gen 22's. Which is what I carry now.

gtmtnbiker98
03-31-10, 07:10
My evolution consists of the following:

1996 G22 (personal)
1997 Sig P226 9mm (department issue) G26 BUG
2005 Sig P229R DAK .357 Sig (department issue) no BUG
2007 Sig P229R .40 (personal, couldn't stand DAK)
2010 HK P2000 V2 .40 (personal)

BobM
03-31-10, 08:20
I started with a Security Six and less than a year later we traded those for 5906s in 9mm.
We carried the 9mm for 16 years and in 2006 switched to M&P40s.
Over the years my backups have been a couple of different J-frames, an SP101, 3913, Glock 19, and currently the M&P40 compact.

jb7304
04-02-10, 17:06
All department issued in order:

Ruger Security Six, .357 magnum
Beretta 96D, 40 S&W
Beretta Brigadier 96D, 40 S&W
Glock 37, 45 GAP

akviper
04-03-10, 04:09
From an almost extinct dinosaur whose career spanned from 1975 to 2005:

1. S&W Model 39-2 (very trendy for the mid 70s) In a Safariland thumb break
2. S&W 19 in a Safariland thumb break, I also used those newfangled speed loaders
3. S&W 66 four inch with a Bianchi B27 and later a Hoyt, both front breaks
4. S&W 686 in a Hoyt front break
5. Custom Colt Lightweight Commander in a Davis thumb break
6. Robar Colt Govt. in a Davis
7. Glock 23 or Glock 35 in Safariland
8. H&K P7M8 in Safariland and Kramer
9. Stainless Colt Gunsite Govt. in Safariland My last duty gun at retirement.

These were spread out over a 30 year career. Some were agency issued and some were personal firearms allowed after approval by those in charge. I was lucky enough to work for progressive folks for the most part when it came to handguns.

Oscar 319
04-03-10, 09:56
From an almost extinct dinosaur whose career spanned from 1975 to 2005:

1. S&W Model 39-2 (very trendy for the mid 70s) In a Safariland thumb break
2. S&W 19 in a Safariland thumb break, I also used those newfangled speed loaders
3. S&W 66 four inch with a Bianchi B27 and later a Hoyt, both front breaks
4. S&W 686 in a Hoyt front break
5. Custom Colt Lightweight Commander in a Davis thumb break
6. Robar Colt Govt. in a Davis
7. Glock 23 or Glock 35 in Safariland
8. H&K P7M8 in Safariland and Kramer
9. Stainless Colt Gunsite Govt. in Safariland My last duty gun at retirement.

These were spread out over a 30 year career. Some were agency issued and some were personal firearms allowed after approval by those in charge. I was lucky enough to work for progressive folks for the most part when it came to handguns.

Outstanding. Any that you particularly liked or disliked?

I love the Model 19/66's.

SWATcop556
04-03-10, 10:36
1.) Kimber 1911 w/Dawson rail and an old big ass Surefire Military light (personally owned)
2.) Kimber TLE-RL with Surefire X200A (personally owned)
3.) Dept then switched to G22s (issued) and I ran the X200A
4.) New dept and was issued a G31C and ran the X200B then X300
5.) Took a new LE job further north recently and carry a G17/19 (both personally owned)

CoryCop25
04-03-10, 12:33
All department issued in order:

Ruger Security Six, .357 magnum
Beretta 96D, 40 S&W
Beretta Brigadier 96D, 40 S&W
Glock 37, 45 GAP

Sounds like a Trooper from the PSP... I work with a lot of your guys. Good to see you here.

W.E.G.
04-03-10, 13:28
Many moons ago, this is what was issued, and it will still git 'er dun today.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN3272smaller.jpg

But, given my druthers in the current market...
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/kool_aidGlock.jpg

tracker722
04-03-10, 13:56

sff70
04-03-10, 14:36
USMC
1990 - M9
1993 - M1911A1
1995 - M9

LE
2000 - P226 (Personal)
2000 - G22 (Personal)
2002 - SA 1911 (Personal)
2007 - NHC/VT 1911 (Personal)

kjdoski
04-03-10, 21:50
I started with a 1911, for a short while (actually, I REALLY started with an M16A2 - but that's not a sidearm...). The 1911 I shot was a WWII relic with minuscule sights, that rattled like a maraca whenever it was in hand. But, it shot like the dickens - and was reliable as death & taxes with issued 230 grain FMJ.

Then I followed the rest of DOD into the M9. I found it to be overly large for what it delivered, but the several I carried were reliable and accurate. Of course, while I was in Command, I "traded" my M9 to one of my mechanics and carried his M3 grease gun as my "sidearm..."

When I left the Army and started out as a civilian with Air Force OSI, my team had M9s, but we transitioned to M11 (P228s) almost as soon as I arrived. I, along with the rest of the team, got brand new "Air Force" M11s - standard finish and non-NS three dot sights. This started my love affair with the P228, I've never had a pistol that felt as good in the hand. Accuracy was exceptional, and, of course, it was dead-nuts reliable, despite being run HARD (we shot 1K rounds per agent per MONTH for local training, and did at least one contractor shooting/fighting course each year).

I left AFOSI for NCIS in 2002, at which time I was issued another M11. This one was NASTY, not sure where NCIS got it from, but it was 12+ years old, with obviously no maintenance to speak of. The night sights were dead (not dim, DEAD), and, on my second trip to the range with it, the front sight fell OFF. Lucky for me, NCIS has a personally owned weapons policy (at that time we were allowed "Sig-only" in 9mm for semiautos, or US-made 5-shot or greater .38/.357 revolvers), so I quickly acquired a P226R in 9mm that was everything my first P228 had been, only better. I toyed with the P239 in 9mm twice, but never found it to really "fit" what I needed, due to wait and lack of capacity. My BUG transitioned from an SP-101 (pleasant to shoot but heavy on the ankle) to a model 38 "Bodyguard" (loved the gun, but the blue finish just wasn't up to the heat/humidity in Corpus Christi), to a 642 and a 640 (642 on the ankle as BUG to my Sig during the week, carried both revolvers off-duty).

In Jun06, NCIS published it's first "improved" POW policy - authorizing a variety of "subcompact" 9mms in addition to all 9mm Sigs and the existing revolver authorization. I immediately snapped up a G19 and a G26, and was off to the races! Of course, within 60 days of dropping $1000 in guns, NSs, and holsters, I got orders to a protective position in Portugal - no POWs authorized! So, I went overseas and was issued another M11, this one in 9x21mm (since our pistols came from the Field Office in Italy).

I got back to CONUS in Feb08, and, after several months of searching for an available pistol, ended up with a G19 and G26 again; which worked out great since the team I lead, part of USSOCOM, issues G19s for "duty" use. I also got a PM9 for "deep concealment," and ended up selling the 640 and 642 when I fell into a GREAT deal on a S&W M&P 340, and I was all set up.

In early spring 2008, NCIS began transitioning all agents from M11s to P229R DAKs or P239 DAKs in .40 S&W. I started out with a P239, but quickly decided it wasn't for me, so I ended up with a P229R. Even though I was issued the P229R, I am NOT a fan of the DAK, so I continued to carry my G19 under the existing POW policy.

In Oct09, NCIS's second POW policy was published, authorizing basically any 9mm or .40S&W pistol from 13 different manufacturers, along with .38/.357 revolvers. Because we're required to carry issued ammunition in any weapon, and the 9mm ammunition they issue us is a horrible performer, I "up gunned" to a G23/G27 combination - and just carry the SOCOM issued G19 for OCONUS work. My personal Glocks have Warren Tactical sights on them, G17 "smooth" triggers, and extended slide releases. Triggers are box stock.

At this point, I'm constantly fighting the temptation to try something "new" and "better." I have tried and discarded the P250 in 9mm and .40 S&W, and the M&P/M&Pc in .40 S&W. I'm sorely tempted by the HK P30 LEM, but, when all is said and done, I don't think it'll really do anything THAT MUCH better than my current duty set up. When the G23 Gen4 hits the streets, I'll be picking one up - but I think that's the only real change on my horizon for a while...

Regards,

Kevin

strongisland
04-07-10, 13:43
Duty Evolution:

Glock 22
Sig P220
Glock 21
SA MC Operator

S. Kelly
04-08-10, 14:22
1989-Glock 19
1998-3rd gen Glock 23 (G27s for detectives)
2010-4th gen G22s (maybe-it's still up in the air, even though the contract is sgned) with (maybe) 4th gen G23s for detectives. Once detectives and upper ranks find out that no G27s will be issued, a wailing will ensue and maybe we'll get them as well.

Kentucky Cop
04-08-10, 14:29
Excellent thread Oscar! Love the pictures with the short narratives.

My Evolution

Issued Glock 17 2nd Generation
Issued Glock 17 3rd Generation
...authorized to buy a .40 cal glocks.

Made the switch to the G22 3rd generation in 2003is I think. I really like the .40 caliber. Wish they would let us carry the M&P line. Will be buying the Gen 4 22 when I get $.

Ky Cop

sro579
04-08-10, 18:02
1. HK USP .40
2. Glock 19
3. Glock 21
4. HK USP 45 Compact
5. Glock 19 again
6. Glock 17 Current Issue

tusk212
04-12-10, 21:56
Academy- Glock 17
On the Street- Glock 17

I have been flirting with my Glock 21 for duty use but I think I'm going to stick with the 17.

Oscar 319
04-12-10, 22:08
I have been flirting with my Glock 21 for duty use but I think I'm going to stick with the 17.

Good choice.

TroyTK
04-13-10, 18:14
So far, I have carried the following on duty:

1. Glock 17 2nd generation
2. Glock 22 2nd generation
3. Springfield Pro 1911
4. Glock 21 3rd generation, and currently...
5. Glock 17 3rd generation, with a Surefire X300.

I recently purchased a G17 4th generation, but I'm not convinced enough of its reliability to switch yet.

bmyk
02-28-11, 13:19
1982-1991 M1911
1991-2006 M9

jsbcody
02-28-11, 14:00
All of my duty weapons have been department supplied and required:

S&W Model 15 .38 caliber (Air Force)

Beretta M9 9mm (Air Force)

S&W Model 65 .38 caliber (1st civilian police job, pistol was a piece of crap with slightly bent barrel and shaved lead...of course they issued me this, along with a 6 year old used vest).

S&W 4006 .40 caliber (we tested a bunch of pistols and 99% of department wanted to go with Glock.....Chief decided to piggyback another larger local agency's purchase for the S&W boat anchor. Again, we had all kinds of issues with pistols: decock lever dropping while firing, FTF, FTE. I left this department before they got it sorted out).

Glock 23 1st Generation .40 caliber (this was my second civilian department and it was great going from S&W boat anchor to G23).

Sig 229 (non rail) .40 caliber (these pistols are going on 10 years old. Still good pistols, we have had some probelms in the last couple years dealing with SIG, so we may start looking at other options).

ZGXtreme
02-28-11, 18:02
USMC
M9 (while the gunner in my 240 team)

LE
Sig P229 .40 (1st Agency, Issued)
Glock 21C with X300 (1st Agency, Personal)
Glock 21C with X300 (2nd Agency, Issued)

*Have and continue to carry Glock 30 for plainclothes, etc.

charmcitycop
02-28-11, 18:12