PDA

View Full Version : What is the general consensus on flashlights on an SPR/DMR-role AR?

Skyyr
03-30-10, 09:34
As the title states, I'm just curious as to the general opinion on whether a light belongs on a mid-range scoped AR. Without a doubt they belong on an AR with a 1x optic/RDS/HWS, but I would think that getting into the realm of mid-range magnification (where the lowest magnification may not be 1x), the light would become more cumbersome than helpful.

Thoughts?

Alex V
03-30-10, 10:52
In my experience-lacking oppinion, I would imagine that if a rifle's role is to engage targets at 100-600 yards away, a flash light will be of little use at those distances...

But I may be talking out of my posterior

Iraq Ninja
03-30-10, 13:44
It may be of use getting to the place you will be shooting from, especially third world urban environments. You just have to take extra care not to have a flashlight ND, especially when you are in your shooting position. Imagine shooting out of a darkened room in daylight and the light goes off accidentally during recoil.

I would probably take it off the weapon once I was in position just to be on the safe side. I had a Gladius on my SPR at a course once that would flash on during recoil. It was supposedly rated to be used on a rifle too. It not only gave away my position, but took away my night vision and pissed off the other students. I have never had a light on my SPR since then.

The few snipers and good DRMs I have met don't like lights because of the above reasons. That is why the have NVGs...

Dave_M
03-30-10, 23:44
It may be of use getting to the place you will be shooting from, especially third world urban environments.

Yup. One of the advantages of using a semi-auto DMR is that it can be used as a CQB/regular fighting gun if needed. Part of this may include clearing out buildings (which a white light is certainly a great advantage) and other tasks. One of the 8541's in my unit had to clear out a building with an M40A3--not something I think anyone would choose to do if they could avoid it.

As far as white light ND's, Surefire kill-covers readily fix that problem. Going into a house? Flip it open. Worried about white light ND's? Snap it closed.

dtibbals
03-30-10, 23:48
I agree I would not have on it. However if you may possibly use it in a CQB role in a pinch I would have a Surefire 6P etc in a Larue mount in a pouch ready to snap on the rifle in time of need.

Surf
03-31-10, 04:20
The SPR pulls double duties as an up close weapon and longer range precision rifle and IMO it needs a light. YMMV :)

Just to add, I don't care for white light when stalking at night.

Iraq Ninja
03-31-10, 04:57
Speaking of DMRs, I don't see very many of them these days, at least with the 3 ID troops.

GoG-Man
03-31-10, 09:32
I can still vividly remember two times I was caught without a light.... Never again.

I will always have some type of light. There really isn't much of a reason not to have a light, they are getting smaller, brighter, and more affordable everyday.

JMHO

USAFR
03-31-10, 13:39
how really dark it is untill you DONT have a light, with the lights and mounts out now no reason to not have one. No one said it has to be mounted all the time.

Just my .02 worth.

Be safe:eek:

Iraqgunz
03-31-10, 14:19
It seems like the smart option would be to have the light available and then tailor your needs to the mission at hand.

TAZ
03-31-10, 15:36
Having absolutely no real world experience, I'd be worried about getting out of a mess more than getting into my position. If, for whatever reason, you end up in a CQB situation time may not be time to pull out a light,mount it and get on with business. I'd opt for have and not need than need and not have. There are a plethora of light, durable and affordable lights out there to pass one up. There are ways to
minimize if not eliminate a light ND so I see no issues with having one on there.

saryan
03-31-10, 17:36
Keep a X300 close by. Slide it on when you need it. Thats what I do with my 16". I have used it in real dark parts of the world and its blown me away how bright it is. Best light I have ever used and I have tried quite a few.