PDA

View Full Version : Rattle snake rain dance...

Artos
03-30-10, 20:55
...one guy on my lease says this is good luck for rain but I think it's a bunch of crap.

Had nothing to do but try and get bit. It took several shots from 150yds to 4 ft but got him. For those venomous vermin lovers who care nothing for hunting dogs / cattle / my kids or any other person whou could get shanked where I hunt, sorry...it was an accident

Need th wet stuff...hung 3/30 in starr co.

Buckaroo
03-30-10, 21:02
...one guy on my lease says this is good luck for rain but I think it's a bunch of crap.

Had nothing to do but try and get bit. It took several shots from 150yds to 4 ft but got him. For those venomous vermin lovers who care nothing for hunting dogs / cattle / my kids or any other person whou could get shanked where I hunt, sorry...it was an accident

Nice, how long?

Buckaroo

Artos
03-30-10, 21:26
not too long 4 - 4.5+/-

We have lots of indigos and hogs that put a hurt on them, but almost everyone one you see is pretty darn big. Maybe only 1/2 dozen killed on 7k acres every year??

This one is 7' and the biggest so far, but that was after cutting his head and tanning / stretching a bit.

Spinone
03-30-10, 23:05

My family lives in McAllen, TX, and that picture is why I rarely go quail hunting with my dogs when I visit during the holidays. It usually is just not cold enough to keep those bad boys away. A few years back my dogs had several close calls when hunting quail. And they have been snake broke and always get their rattlesnake vaccination but it is just not worth losing my hunting companions over a few quail.

Artos
03-31-10, 08:30
My family lives in McAllen, TX, and that picture is why I rarely go quail hunting with my dogs when I visit during the holidays. It usually is just not cold enough to keep those bad boys away. A few years back my dogs had several close calls when hunting quail. And they have been snake broke and always get their rattlesnake vaccination but it is just not worth losing my hunting companions over a few quail.

Yeah, but they live for it and probably enjoy it more than I do the way they act. Livin down this way & rattlers is just something you have to deal with to wing shoot with dogs. We have plenty of quail on that ranch but the dogs get all tore up trying to retrieve them...it is the thickest worst devilish bunch of prickers on the planet. I actually shoot more on that place while deer hunting...albeit a bit more challenging to hit them in the noggin with the anschutz and eley match ammo at 50yds.

Whitewing and dove are my favorite & here's a pic taken right on the river near the hidalgo / starr co line.

Shoot me a pm next time you are down and want to get out in the sticks.

Spinone
03-31-10, 09:34
Yeah, but they live for it and probably enjoy it more than I do the way they act. Livin down this way & rattlers is just something you have to deal with to wing shoot with dogs. We have plenty of quail on that ranch but the dogs get all tore up trying to retrieve them...it is the thickest worst devilish bunch of prickers on the planet. I actually shoot more on that place while deer hunting...albeit a bit more challenging to hit them in the noggin with the anschutz and eley match ammo at 50yds.

Whitewing and dove are my favorite & here's a pic taken right on the river near the hidalgo / starr co line.

Shoot me a pm next time you are down and want to get out in the sticks.

No doubt. My boys live to hunt but I now find myself hunting where we don't have too many snakes.

Here is a picture of my boys (the two white dogs) pointing a pheasant in Montana: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/Spinoni/Montana%202009/IMG_8754.jpg

And here I am with my two boys after a day of pheasant and sharptail hunting: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/Spinoni/PICT0627.jpg

Your picture sure brings back a lot of memories of growing up in McAllen. Drinking Miller Light, dodging rattlesnakes, and shooting doves in 98 degree heat. Great Times!! Now it's dressing warm, staying dry, and drinking single malt scotch. ;)

I appreciate your offer and I just might take you up on it! With the onslaught of Texas summer, we probably won't visit our family until during the holidays. We will be trying to get my folks to take a vacation from their business and come visit us in Colorado. We have only visited family during the summer twice since we moved to Colorado thirteen years ago.