PDA

View Full Version : Help me w/some tactical pants that don't look like it

Jer
03-31-10, 10:44
I'm looking for some pants that will replace my high end Old Navy cargo style pants and shorts. Don't laugh, they're cheap and I'm a dude. :cool: I want some help in finding something similar in style that gives me more pockets for items and possibly kevlar lining with other useful features w/o looking like a commando style pant. I also don't want something that looks dressy as I've seen some that have hidden pockets and lots of hidden things that look more like dress pants. I want something I can wear every day with a hoody or T-shirt and not look silly but still have the bonuses that tactical-type pants bring to the table. I have been searching around and am not sure what to get or why and was wanting some suggestions on what to check out or avoid from those with first hand experience. What brands are good? What brands are the best value? What should I avoid and why? Any sales I should be checking out right now?

Thanks for the help!

tactical1
03-31-10, 11:00
Picked up a coupla pairs of pants awhile back and am pleased with them - waist runs a bit on the snug side, so I'd recommend an extra inch in the waistline. Also been pleased with the Eotech line.

Recent email flyer:
Save $40 on ALL Vertx for orders over $99

Ways to save:

Buy two pairs of Vertx pants for $79.90 (reg. $119.90 )
Combine a pair of Vertx pants and and polo for for $69.90 (reg. $109.90)
Buy two Vertx polos for $59.90 (that's $29.95 each)

Note: Tax and $4.99 Flat Fee Shipping not included

How to buy:

Use promo code facefan40 at VertxTactical.com

Jer
03-31-10, 11:22
I should have added that I'm really not looking to spend $80 on a pair of paints either. I get emails all the time with 5.11 and other brands of pants for $20-$30 but I just don't know how they wear or if they're any good. I'm looking more for sale priced items or reasonably priced items for some decent pants. I don't need the highest quality money can buy since I'm used to wearing Old Navy crap and they haven't let me down yet. :D

mattjmcd
03-31-10, 11:25
I have 3 pairs- the first 2 of which have seen all kinds of abuse and still show minimal (almost none, really) signs of abrasion.

http://www.fitnesstravelgear.com/archive/kuhlcragrunner.html

They are very low-viz relative to stuff like 5.11 and other tacticool offerings. REI sells them. They are NOT "gun specific" but they work well and wear well even with heavily-loaded belt setups.

VHinch
03-31-10, 15:11
Despite having a dozen or so pair of "tactical" pants of one brand or another, I find myself in Carharrt carpenter pants more often than not. Durable, reasonably priced, and they don't scream "I've got a gun".

Irish
03-31-10, 15:32
I'm out of town but I believe these are the model I own. They're comfy, a few extra pockets, really durable and you look more like a construction guy than a 5.11 guy. http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=121961&langId=-1&categoryId=10935

RD62
03-31-10, 15:42
I find myself in Carharrt carpenter pants more often than not. Durable, reasonably priced, and they don't scream "I've got a gun".

I've never owned any tactical pants, and honestly kind of find the term funny.

I wear the same thing as the guy above, and have for years. They LAST too, especially if you get the heavier weight ones.

Plus, I've seen Costa rockin em, so they must work out OK. :D

-RD62

Jer
03-31-10, 15:45
Those look pretty good. I may have to check out the Carhartt's. I was also hoping to find something that looks similar perhaps w/more pockets and a protective inner lining hear your groin region like the 5.11 pants that I have.

cevtv
03-31-10, 16:47
Eotac. :)

jwinch2
03-31-10, 16:59
VERTX is the way to go for quality pants that don't look "tactical". They are comfortable and wear well and look pretty classy. I wear them to work at a university on a regular basis and never feel out of place. They are pricey to be sure but worth it in my view.

MookNW
03-31-10, 17:08
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8822/saunapants1.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/saunapants1.jpg/)

MookNW
03-31-10, 17:13
Carhartt double fronts

Jer
03-31-10, 17:19
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8822/saunapants1.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/saunapants1.jpg/)

Oh snap! That's them!! They hardly even look tactical.

On a side note, wasn't that Darren on Bewitched? :confused:

DTHN2LGS
03-31-10, 17:28
I too am looking for reasonably priced pants with cargo pockets because of problems with my sciatic nerves. Which means I can't put anything into the back pockets on my pants.

Those Vertx pants at 2 for $79.90 are a little pricy, but look good. Do those Carhartt ones have leg pockets? I can't tell from the pictures on their website.

Hoosier70
03-31-10, 17:32
Check out Woolrich stuff

Irish
03-31-10, 17:39
Do those Carhartt ones have leg pockets? I can't tell from the pictures on their website.

Yes, one on each side if memory serves me correctly.

RobMoore
03-31-10, 17:42
The toughest pants I've found

Duluth Trading Company firehose work pants.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/92204.aspx?feature=product_1

...and they are comfortable to boot.

zpo
03-31-10, 18:59

How do the sizes run compared to Levi/Wrangler?

RobMoore
03-31-10, 21:05
Normal on the pants. Their shirts tend to run a bit big. I'm between a medium and a large, so I ordered a large shirt. I was swimming in it.

zpo
03-31-10, 21:46
Thank you.

LHS
04-01-10, 00:14
I have two pairs of Cabela's latest iteration of the Trail Hiker II. AWESOME pants. Hidden cell phone pocket inside the right cargo pocket. Right slash pocket is reinforced for knife clips/wave openers. Reinforced knees, and rear half-cuff reinforcement as well. I've been using one of the older pairs for a few years, and these are an improvement. Plus, they come in a very Carhartt-like orange-brown color that doesn't scream "Hey, I'm a ninja with a gun!"

Moose-Knuckle
04-01-10, 10:30

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/92204.aspx?feature=product_1

Duluth is Good To Go! There clothing is so practical and fuctional, I am amazed that someone didn't think up all their great ideas before. All of there pants and shorts have gussets in the crotch. Any other pants I wear from my Levi's to my issued BDUs just about cut my nut sack in half when I exit a vehicle.

They also killed "plumber's butt" dead! :D

d90king
04-01-10, 10:58
Mountain Khakis hands down... I believe that Grey Group still has some available. Very well made and not tacticool.

Erik 1
04-01-10, 11:08
Mountain Khakis hands down... I believe that Grey Group still has some available. Very well made and not tacticool.

Say, those look ok! They look like they might make decent business casual pants too.

d90king
04-01-10, 11:14
Say, those look ok! They look like they might make decent business casual pants too.

They are great dual use pants and are very well made and durable. I wore them at a Hackathorn pistol class and I was very pleased...

Jakus
04-01-10, 12:34
They are great dual use pants and are very well made and durable. I wore them at a Hackathorn pistol class and I was very pleased...

I am also very pleased with my Mountain Khakis. I think they run a little small in the waist though. I bought them a little big for IWB carry and they are much more sized for OWB carry.

testudo
04-01-10, 12:41

+1

I have a pair of Old Navy khakis, Vertx, Rail Riders versa-tacs, Columbia khakis, Duluth, and Mountain Khakis.

Pants from places like Old Navy are nice because of the price, but they seem to rip easily.

The Vertex and Columbia are nice pants. I like the design cargo pockets on the Vertex. Both pants look good and the pair from Columbia have held up well (I have had these for a couple of years).

I don't wear the Duluth pants much because they are too baggy for my liking. They also look too much like work pants, but that's because they are tough workman's pants. They do have a lifetime warranty if I remember correctly.

The RR versa-tacs have some nice features (check out the cargo pockets) and are made out of a strong synthetic material, but I have had problems with the belt loops and elastic waist (too much material). Maybe a smaller size would fix this. These are also tough pants.

The MK are very tough pants and they look good. REI has some sizes on sale right now. However, they are still $50+ pants on sale. I might use my 20% off coupon on another pair. The only thing that has made me second guess them is a friend blew out the crotch on his MK while taking a knee.

d90king
04-01-10, 13:16
+1

I have a pair of Old Navy khakis, Vertx, Rail Riders versa-tacs, Columbia khakis, Duluth, and Mountain Khakis.

Pants from places like Old Navy are nice because of the price, but they seem to rip easily.

The Vertex and Columbia are nice pants. I like the design cargo pockets on the Vertex. Both pants look good and the pair from Columbia have held up well (I have had these for a couple of years).

I don't wear the Duluth pants much because they are too baggy for my liking. They also look too much like work pants, but that's because they are tough workman's pants. They do have a lifetime warranty if I remember correctly.

The RR versa-tacs have some nice features (check out the cargo pockets) and are made out of a strong synthetic material, but I have had problems with the belt loops and elastic waist (too much material). Maybe a smaller size would fix this. These are also tough pants.

The MK are very tough pants and they look good. REI has some sizes on sale right now. However, they are still $50+ pants on sale. I might use my 20% off coupon on another pair. The only thing that has made me second guess them is a friend blew out the crotch on his MK while taking a knee.

Damn... In looking at them... that looks like it would be next to impossible. They actually have a separate crotch piece sewn in that looks like it is quadruple stitched....

I bet that MK would replace them if they knew about the failure because like I said above, they put a lot of work in that area.:D

karmapolice
04-01-10, 14:24
http://www.mountainkhakis.com/

LSK
04-01-10, 15:55
I have been wearing MK for awhile. I know they are getting expensive, but I used to wear Bill's Khakis and they are around $100. They are made in the USA though.

vicious_cb
04-03-10, 00:35
I would look into Arborwear.

rob_s
04-03-10, 06:02
I'm a fan of the Vertx as well. I had pretty much sworn off all of the various "tactical" pants because they were either cut for fatbodies, cost an arm and a leg, or just looked doofusy with all the pockets. I was just about to buy a bunch of BDUs for the range at $25/ea and just concede that if I wanted more pockets I had to look like a militia member.

The Vertx are something I can wear to work with a polo and a pair of shoes and with a change of my shoes to boots can go right to the range. The cargo pocket cut is PERFECT for the small amount of stuff I'll put in them, and the sub-pocket in the cargo pockets helps a lot (AR mag on one side, small digital camera in the other).

The MSRP of $60/ea is a little steep, but I got in on the 50% off deal and dealers are offering them at a little less. It's also pretty much right in line with the market when Woolrich Elite go for $55 (http://www.woolricheliteseriestactical.com/products/elitepant.htm) and Eotac go for $60 (http://www.eotac.com/tactical-clothing/tactical-pants-shorts/mens-tactical-pant), not to mention the $70+ for many of the hiking/outdoors brands that folks are wearing/recommending. I asked on Vertx's facebook page if they were going to do MAP (which I can't stand, especially from a clothing company) and they dodged the question IMHO. I think if they wind up with a real-world everyday price of <$50 I'll buy a few more. Already planning on bombing the EE with all my Woolrich.

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-10, 11:21
...I was just about to buy a bunch of BDUs for the range at $25/ea...

I'm a big fan of the Vertx pants too as I got a couple of pairs from one of their recent promotions.

Just yesterday I was at my local Wal-Mart and found these on clearance for $17.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dickies-Men-s-Relaxed-Fit-Ripstop-Cargo-Pants/10854223

They only had one pair in my size so that's all I got. They fit true to size and don't have the usual BDU button fly, or waist adjustable straps on the hips. They come with a zipper fly and hook and loop (Velcro) on the cargo pockets. They come in Moss and a very light Kaki.

The Extractor
04-06-10, 02:54
These are pretty good, I have had pairs for years ... BUT they are kind of baggy loose fitting.

http://www.workinggear.com/gc/catalog/Big-Bill-Cargo-Work-Pant-3239-cat493.html?ROITrakid=7046

kihnspiracy
04-06-10, 03:37
Wrangler Riggs workwear cargo pants. About $20-$30 each. Khaki, green, black. Very durable. My wife bought me 3 pairs about 3 years or so ago. They are the only non dress pant I wear now. No holes in any of them yet. I highly recommend them.

rob_s
04-06-10, 04:05
BUT they are kind of baggy loose fitting.

Not to sound like a fanboy, but this is one of the things I like best about the Vertx, the slimmer fit. Not only does it make them more comfortable but it also contributes the their less-than-tactical look.

Jabroni
04-06-10, 04:15
Believe it or not, the Tru-Spec pants in Cheaperthandirt are ok. They are a bit tactical on the cargo pockets and what not though. They do however have an elastic waistband and you can get the Neoprene knee inserts(additional $10 a pair).

These are nice because they are hidden inside the pant leg and come in handy for when you kneel. I've found them pretty handy for work...that little knee pad is a nice touch when kneeling on grating and it's not really that noticeable.

So you get plenty of easy-access pockets, a stretchable waist, double reinforced knees(with optional internal neoprene pads) made of ripstop material in an array of colors(black,coyote,khaki,navy,od green) for the mag. price of $36.97(+$10 if you opt for the kneepads) + shipping for it all.

Considering your price and functionality requirements, I would say that these might be worth taking a look at.

I'v also had chap-over Carhartt jeans(awesome), and an array of Dickies work pants and jeans. They are all good and reasonably priced....just gotta find what works for you.

ST911
04-06-10, 11:24
Not to sound like a fanboy, but this is one of the things I like best about the Vertx, the slimmer fit. Not only does it make them more comfortable but it also contributes the their less-than-tactical look.

I've been wearing my Vertx pants exclusively since I got them. Several folks have asked where I "got Dockers with pockets like that." Some have also thought that they were a part of the Carhartt casual line, since the desert tans resembles the Carhartt medium brown.

Effective.

az larry
04-06-10, 14:27
If anyone has a current Vertx coupon code, please post it. The one posted previousley expired.

JSantoro
04-06-10, 14:52
Kuhl, available at REI. I own a few pair of the Ryders and Crag Runners: https://www.kuhl-usa.com/categories/Mens/Pants/

Mountaineering pants, primarily, and a bit pricey, but no more so than than retail on Mountain Khakis; $65 range. I like how they don't have too high of a rise on them, as most tac tousers have a very high rise, which makes you look like you have a load in your drawers. Not too baggy, but also not Texas/European bunhugger-style (i.e., tight enough to tell what religion a dude is). Easy to get your hands on.

For synthetics, I'm partial to the Mountain Hardwear Piero: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=2034&prod=3107&cat=2077&viewAll=False

Also @ REI, though for $80+ a pop, I wait until they're on the seasonal clearance rack.

Columbia is also a good choice. they're reasonablly priced, they're everywhere, and they have a bunch of possibilities.

SmokeJumper
04-06-10, 19:47
I like the Carhartt double front pants, but needed something with some more pockets/pocket room. I tried the Wrangler Riggs Wear Ranger pants and they fit the bill, double knees, ripstop type material, cargo pockets, rear pockets lined with nylon for when you jam tools or coarse/sharp items in there, leather patch on right pocket for knife clips.
http://riggsworkwear.wrangler.com/Catalog/men/bottoms/ripstop/3W060
They wear as well as my Cahartt's and last really well.

The Extractor
04-06-10, 20:57

I like my vertx but after a couple washes they dont look like new anymore. Trust me , the big bills dont look tacticool at all. More like almost dress pants with cargo pockets.

Malleus Dei
04-06-10, 21:53
I like the Carhartt double front pants, but needed something with some more pockets/pocket room. I tried the Wrangler Riggs Wear Ranger pants and they fit the bill, double knees, ripstop type material, cargo pockets, rear pockets lined with nylon for when you jam tools or coarse/sharp items in there, leather patch on right pocket for knife clips.
http://riggsworkwear.wrangler.com/Catalog/men/bottoms/ripstop/3W060
They wear as well as my Cahartt's and last really well.

This! :)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0034194980093a&navCount=2&podId=0034194&parentId=cat601779&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21082-cat601778-cat601779&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601779&hasJS=true

The Extractor
04-06-10, 22:02
The riggs cargo pockets are the largest Ive ever had, I like. Wish they had more colors and 65/35 blend...

ST911
04-07-10, 10:16
I like my vertx but after a couple washes they dont look like new anymore. Trust me , the big bills dont look tacticool at all. More like almost dress pants with cargo pockets.

What kind of wear are you seeing? Mine still look new and nearly new after many washings. Try pressing them? They hold a crease very well.

rob_s
04-07-10, 10:33
Mine don't look "ironed" but that's not the style here anyway. I can't remember the last time I heated up an iron. :D

I can wear the Vertx with shoes at work, running shoes at the range, boots in a class, or flipflops around town. This, to me, is a good thing.

I do wish they were making their shorts longer. They're doing a 10" inseam which I know is long for a lot of the old folks but to me is equivalent to a pair of UDT shorts.

Moose-Knuckle
04-07-10, 11:13
I do wish they were making their shorts longer. They're doing a 10" inseam which I know is long for a lot of the old folks but to me is equivalent to a pair of UDT shorts.

Good to know, I'm not Magnum PI so I'll pass...:cool:

Jer
04-07-10, 11:47
Well, it's not pants but I was at the local Wally World yesterday and across a pair of cargo shorts that I really liked. They're by OP and fit real well (not super baggy like most shorts of this style) and cost only $15. The pockets seem well placed and there's even an outter pocket on the left side cargo pocket that looks like it could hold a spare mag for a G26 rather easily. They have them in tan, dark gray and an OD type color. Not too shabby for the price. Now only if they made them in a pants version. :p

I still like the idea of some of the 'tactical' style pants though since there are more hidden pockets and do dads that are useful. Just needed some shorts since the last clean pair I own smelled like a camp fire from the night before when I helped my buddy build his fire pit and then we sat around it for 3hrs burning everything but fire wood (i.e. garbage, small dead pine trees we cut down, 2x4's) :D

The Extractor
04-08-10, 02:09
What kind of wear are you seeing? Mine still look new and nearly new after many washings. Try pressing them? They hold a crease very well.

Haha What is an Iron ? Iron sight ? all joking aside they are fraying a bit around the edges and fading a bit (they are black). I use the gentle cycle , I think I even turned them inside out.. I also dont like the back pocket wallet holder feature,Im weird wallet goes in RH cargo pocket. They are my fav pants though the price is pretty steep..

rob_s
04-08-10, 05:53
the price is pretty steep..

I both agree and disagree with this statement. :D

If you compare them to Walmart pants then the price can seem a little high. But.... I imagine that actual retail price will be $50 or less from most vendors which is competitive-with, or less-than, most of the other "tac pants" out there and I think Vertx offers some things that the others don't.

mattjmcd
04-09-10, 11:11
Kuhl, available at REI. I own a few pair of the Ryders and Crag Runners: https://www.kuhl-usa.com/categories/Mens/Pants/

Mountaineering pants, primarily, and a bit pricey, but no more so than than retail on Mountain Khakis; $65 range. I like how they don't have too high of a rise on them, as most tac tousers have a very high rise, which makes you look like you have a load in your drawers. Not too baggy, but also not Texas/European bunhugger-style (i.e., tight enough to tell what religion a dude is). Easy to get your hands on.

For synthetics, I'm partial to the Mountain Hardwear Piero: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=2034&prod=3107&cat=2077&viewAll=False

Also @ REI, though for $80+ a pop, I wait until they're on the seasonal clearance rack.

Columbia is also a good choice. they're reasonablly priced, they're everywhere, and they have a bunch of possibilities.

Just to reiterate, the Crag Runners especially are the s#it for intense range activities. They are built for rock and rope work. Rolling around on a pebbly/dusty/rocky range all day will not damage these pants in the slightest.

Jer
04-09-10, 11:28
Those Vertx pants look interesting and I like the little whiz-bang features they offer. Some reviews say you don't need all that but isn't that the reason for buying 'Tactical pants' over regular painters or cargo pants anyway? The little things that are taken into account when designing them that makes them more geared towards our needs? I like some and dislike others so I'm on the fence if the pros outweigh the cons or not. I thought that the regular 5.11 would look too 'tactical' with the slash cut rear pockets and the band at the back pocket but after seeing them on some people I don't know that they really don't stand out as much as some of the others. I'm tired of wearing Walmart and Old Navy pants because I'm a dude and I don't care and making due with what I have and would like to get something more geared towards holding my 20lbs worth of crap that I throw in them on a daily basis. My wife always gives me a hard time about all the stuff that I carry so maybe she wouldn't if I had a pocket for each one. :p

OldGreg
04-09-10, 23:03
I saw the 'Costa' Carhartt's (the thick duck dungarees) for 19.99 at Cabelas tonight.

The Extractor
04-13-10, 01:31
here is a pic of my black vertx pants. Ive had them since Dec 09 and have washed them 10 times max. The stitching is coming undone a bit in places and they are fading. The next pair is the big bill cargos. Ive had several pairs of these for nearly five years. I work and play in them both. same usage.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/OLDARMY45/MISC/SDC12688.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/OLDARMY45/MISC/SDC12694.jpg

link to more pics of both.

JChops
04-14-10, 20:51
Hmm... that does not look right. I have black Vertx that have been washed way more than 10 times and they look almost new.

Are you washing properly? Coldest water, very little soap, gentle cycle, hang dry, etc?

A lot of the time—many people do not realize this—but your washing & dryer can be damaging your clothing more than your actual wearing them can.

The Extractor
04-14-10, 20:59
I think Ive used too much soap once, im not sure about water temp either, I think I usually select warm... The other pants have been washed umpteen times by different people and all different settings. Just seems the 65/35 blend is much more durable in some respects...

Moose-Knuckle
04-15-10, 20:09
Just look in the lint trap of your dryer to see what your washer and dryer do to your clothing. ;)

I'm issued black BDU trousers for work and I have learned to hand dry them as the heat from the dryer fades black really bad.

OldGreg
04-16-10, 10:08
Just look in the lint trap of your dryer to see what your washer and dryer do to your clothing. ;)

I'm issued black BDU trousers for work and I have learned to hand dry them as the heat from the dryer fades black really bad.

+1

95% of my wash is with cold water and damn near all of my pants are hung & line dried.

I wore my Navy Vertex pants to work for the first time yesterday (i work for a very conservative business, ie- shirt, tie, & slacks). No one said a word about them, so i suppose i can consider them not only tactical... but stealthy too, lol.

jhurt
04-16-10, 15:00
I have 2 pairs of the Vertyx which I like a lot, but they have been covered in this thread already. I also have 2 pairs of the Eotac which I LOVE. You can get them without the obvious cargo pockets in their "discreet" design. As a matter of fact, several people I work with, including myself, threw our 5.11 pants in the garbage (they are issued) and paid our own money for the Eotac. Those damn 5.11 pants were the most uncomfortable pants I have ever worn. I only wore them once. Only pants I ever had on that gave me bruises!

rudy99
04-21-10, 09:41
I think Ive used too much soap once, im not sure about water temp either, I think I usually select warm... The other pants have been washed umpteen times by different people and all different settings. Just seems the 65/35 blend is much more durable in some respects...

My wife seems to think turning pants/shorts inside out before washing them helps prevent fading.

Tom Swift
04-26-10, 19:04
The North Face has some good Cargo/Hiking pants that could fit into the tactical category. I have a pair and use them for range trips and they are great, as for day to day wear I can't comment as I generally tend to wear jeans.

VooDoo6Actual
04-26-10, 21:41
Carhartt.

Fried Chicken Blowout
11-12-10, 17:11

So on RobMoore's suggestion, my Duluth Trading Company cargo pants arrived today. Wow... These things might as well be bullet proof. Very impressive. They are one of the few pants that have fit me right off the bat and they are totally worn in. They are perfect. My only suggestion is for them to remove the rear flap on the back pocket. I've never been a big fan of back flap pockets.

Fried

dirt_diver
11-13-10, 01:11
+1 for Carhartt. I also love the active jackets. Comparable (enough) to my TAD stuff, but at about 1/2 price.