PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 3 Would You Pick

bulldawg64
03-31-10, 15:33
I am replacing a S&W Sigma 9mm with one of these:

Ruger SR9 C

Sig P250 Compact

Taurus 709

Which would you prefer/why. Am looking for concealed carry and reliability. Thanks for you opinions given.

RB-S13
03-31-10, 15:43
Out of those 3 I like the Sig. For just a little more money you could get a Glock 19 which in my opinion is the best carry gun around $500 or period for that matter.

Rider79
03-31-10, 15:43
What brought you to these choices? What do any of them have over a Glock 19 that made you choose them?

bulldawg64
03-31-10, 15:48
Quick availability. Never have been a Glock fan, but I guess I should give them a look before counting them out. Thanks. More ideas are welcome.

Singlestack Wonder
03-31-10, 15:51
Ruger or Taurus...:rolleyes:

Sig...Nah......

Glock.......:cool:

Rider79
03-31-10, 15:51
Reasons for not being a Glock fan? There's also the M&P9c.

RB-S13
03-31-10, 15:52
If you look around you should be able to find a Glock or M&P in the 400-500 price range.
I think most people on the forum would agree that those are the bees knees as far as 9mm carry guns go.

Mark71
03-31-10, 16:11
Definitely take a look at the Glock and S&W M&P 9mm lineup before making your decision.

Detmongo
03-31-10, 17:10
i would get a glock.

nolacopusmc
03-31-10, 17:23
Definitely take a look at the Glock and S&W M&P 9mm lineup before making your decision.

I agree

Irish
03-31-10, 17:24
Glock 19 or 26, the S&W M&P 9mm or the compact version.

VooDoo6Actual
03-31-10, 17:29
Easy day,

Glock 19.

RogerinTPA
03-31-10, 17:44
None of those.

M&P9c or G19.

JBecker 72
03-31-10, 17:52
Glock 19

lethal dose
03-31-10, 17:53
G19. If I HAD to pick between the 3 it'd be:
1) Sig
2) ruger
3) Taurus
I would not trust my life to a Taurus autoloader. The Sig and ruger run nice, but for a negligible more amount of cashola, the g19 wins hands down. All day. Every day. It's my go-to gun.

bubba04
03-31-10, 17:57
i would get a glock.

^^^

:D

Safetyhit
03-31-10, 18:29
Yes, but shouldn't he consider a Glock as well? :confused:

The Beretta PX4 seems like a nice newer option, based upon all reviews I have read. Don't own one, but just bought a new 90-Two and have been doing a lot of reading up the past 2 months on the newer Beretta's overall.

Just a consideration, nothing more.

JonInWA
03-31-10, 18:37
I'd strongly recommend the Glock 19 over any of the choices you listed. For preferential pricing (about $100 off) (and an additional magazine included with the gun, for a total of 3), see if you qualify for Glock's Homelander Defender program.

If not, I'd alternatively suggest joining GSSF, and once you get your membership card you'll qualify for the GSSF discount, which is the same pricing as the Homeland Defender program, albeit with the standard 2 magazines with the Glock 19. See www.gssfonline.com.

There are also some discussions of this in the www.glocktalk.com GSSF sub-forum site.

Best, Jon

APD201
03-31-10, 18:40
I'd strongly recommend the Glock 19 over any of the choices you listed. For preferential pricing (about $100 off) (and an additional magazine included with the gun, for a total of 3), see if you qualify for Glock's Homelander Defender program.

If not, I'd alternatively suggest joining GSSF, and once you get your membership card you'll qualify for the GSSF discount, which is the same pricing as the Homeland Defender program, albeit with the standard 2 magazines with the Glock 19. See www.gssfonline.com.

There are also some discussions of this in the www.glocktalk.com GSSF sub-forum site.

Best, Jon

What is the Homelander Defender Program?

Thanks

CyberM4
03-31-10, 18:43
Of the three you have listed SIG. Have you looked at any HKs?

sparky241
03-31-10, 19:15

Ruger SR9 C

Sig P250 Compact

Taurus 709

Which would you prefer/why. Am looking for concealed carry and reliability. Thanks for you opinions given.

i would have to go with the sig 250. sr9 hasnt been around a long time so i want to wait till they are done with any possible recalls, and i dont like taurus all that much.

MichaelD
03-31-10, 21:12
M&P9c. Glock has enough fanboys as it is.

RogerinTPA
03-31-10, 21:26
Yes, but shouldn't he consider a Glock as well? :confused:

The Beretta PX4 seems like a nice newer option, based upon all reviews I have read. Don't own one, but just bought a new 90-Two and have been doing a lot of reading up the past 2 months on the newer Beretta's overall.

Just a consideration, nothing more.

I owned one in .40, it sucked monkey balls. It shot well when it worked. I broke it IIRC, 4 times in a 1 1/2 years and just 1500 rounds. 2 slide locks, and 2 internal safeties. It broke so much I didn't use it that much, AND Beretta charged me for S&H and for 2 of the repairs since the 1 year warranty expired. As soon as the last fix was in, I traded it for an M&P40. I recommend anyone considering a PX4, to snap out of their coma, and get an M&P.

DocGKR
03-31-10, 21:59
Why replace your current dog with another flea bitten mongrel?

Get a reliable, durable handgun like a 9 mm Glock, M&P, or HKP30.

Ak44
03-31-10, 22:09

:cool:

BMcDonald7
04-01-10, 00:11
M&P 9c all the way.

KentuckyWindage
04-01-10, 00:38
Out of the 3 listed the sig...dont really like any of them but have to choose then the sig.

RAM Engineer
04-01-10, 06:59

Listen to this advice. ^^^

Safetyhit
04-01-10, 07:29
I owned one in .40, it sucked monkey balls. It shot well when it worked. I broke it IIRC, 4 times in a 1 1/2 years and just 1500 rounds. 2 slide locks, and 2 internal safeties. It broke so much I didn't use it that much, AND Beretta charged me for S&H and for 2 of the repairs since the 1 year warranty expired. As soon as the last fix was in, I traded it for an M&P40. I recommend anyone considering a PX4, to snap out of their coma, and get an M&P.

Well...that will be the very last time I mention a firearm I do not have personal experience with. Hope my 90-Two fares much, much better.

jasonhgross
04-01-10, 11:38
Glock 19
Glock 26
Kahr PM9

tpd223
04-01-10, 12:29
Glock 19...

or the M&P if you like the grip on the Sigma but want a gun that actually works.

I have little first hand experience with the PX series, but a friend who does advises that the gun is prone to a weird lock-up of the slide that requires either a mallet or a trip back to the factory to clear.

JonInWA
04-01-10, 14:40
What is the Homelander Defender Program?

Thanks

Glock's Homeland Defender program is basically their LEO/military discount program; basically you get a Glock at about a $100 discount, and, with full-sized and compact-sized Glocks, you get 3 magazines with the gun (the sub-compact Glocks come with 2 magazines). Night sights are also available at a discounted price. While the program is primarily aimed at LEO and military, it's also applicable for First Responders/EMTs, commercial pilots/Federal Flight Deck Officers, military/LEO reservists and retired personnel, judges, and others. It's a great program, and a very good deal.

Only certain dealers/distributers have chosen to participate in this program, as such guns are obtained from Glock at an appropriately lowered wholesale price to allow for profitability. Glock has a specific list of stores, and others can participate through arraingment with their distributers/Glock. Such guns are distinguished by their box labels being light blue in color (hence the term "blue label" guns). The dealer at point of sale is required to verify your applicable credentials to ensure that you qualify for program participation.

Best, Jon

RogerinTPA
04-01-10, 16:55
Glock 19...

or the M&P if you like the grip on the Sigma but want a gun that actually works.

I have little first hand experience with the PX series, but a friend who does advises that the gun is prone to a weird lock-up of the slide that requires either a mallet or a trip back to the factory to clear.

I've had that several times as well with my PX4. Luckily I was able to borrow a mallet from the range's gun shop to free it up. Thanks for reminding me.

bulldawg64
04-01-10, 18:39
Hey guys, thanks for all the ideas. I'll try to answer some things. About Glock, I simply don't like the way they feel in the hand. Checked the programs mentioned and don't qualify for Homeland and the other is $100. No go. Like the M&P, but all are higher than I want to go. The Taurus was easy to eliminate for me too. Heard too many horror stories about them. But with that in mind, I have a FNP45 that I thought was a good product, and it has given me fits with ftf and fte problems. Already sent back to factory and returned with same problems. Anyway, price/quick availability led me to the SIG and Ruger. I agree the Ruger hasn't been out long enough for a track record and the full size did have problems from the beginning. So in the end I went with the SIG for $395 and hope that I won't regret it. Oh, by the way, the Sigma that was supposed to be so bad never failed in any way in the 1500+ rounds I put through it. Granted the trigger SUCKED. Again, I appreciate all the input!! Hope the SIG turns out to be a pretty dog.

Don Glock
04-02-10, 00:01
What brought you to these choices? What do any of them have over a Glock 19 that made you choose them?

+1.

get a glock 19, or a CZ P-01. ;)

Pappabear
04-02-10, 01:08
I SAW A DEEP DISCOUNTED FNP9MM AND 40 FOR $399.00 AT US AUTO WEAPONS IN SCOTTSDALE. THE ONES WITH DE-COCKER AND SAFETY. IT TOOK SERIOUS DISCIPLINE FOR ME NOT TO GET ONE. IF I WERE LOOKING, THAT WOULD BE MY CHOICE FOR THE MONEY.

Alpha Sierra
04-02-10, 08:58
I think you will be OK with the P250.

I know Ruger gets no respect around here, but I have to admire their thrust into the CCW market with what appears to be three decent pistols (SR9, SR9c, and LCP).

Yeah, they have had issues. No, none of the issues render the pistol unusable. Yes, Ruger's customer service cannot be matched by many in the industry (only S&W compares IMO).

I think, in the end, the SR9 will suffer because many will overlook its qualities and diss it because it is not a Glock.

IMO, the only fault of the SR9 is the manual safety.

bmwm3p
04-02-10, 09:02
Of those three the sig by far but the P30 would be a much better choice.

DacoRoman
04-04-10, 17:22
IMO, the only fault of the SR9 is the manual safety.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if they had designed it in a common sense ergonomic 1911 style instead of that tiny lever set way back on the frame. The way it is implemented I agree that it is more of a liability then anything else.

The M&P frame mounted safety is pretty good if you happen to have one that has a positive engagement/disengagement action, but I don't know why other makers, Ruger included, can't design a proper easy to use sweep down safety to go with their striker guns. Even S&W screwed the pooch a bit by not giving their safety a consistently good action.

We have men in space and the best sweep down safety is still the one on the 1911 as designed by John Browning in 1910 (or whenever)!

Also I'd stick with the tier 1 guns: (in no particular order) Glock, HK, Sig, M&P, maybe an Italian made Beretta 92

john232629
04-05-10, 09:09
M&P 9 Sig if you have to stick to your list

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-05-10, 10:29
Out of those 3 I like the Sig. For just a little more money you could get a Glock 19 which in my opinion is the best carry gun around $500 or period for that matter.
This or I would look at the CZ line of pistols. I've seen the polymer RAMI's new for $399 in my area. Great little CCW gun.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 07:02

Agreed, although any HK will do.

Pappabear
04-07-10, 12:49

That is funny as shit, and thank you for saying what everyone else wanted to. LMAO!

Cazwell
04-08-10, 23:52
+1.

or a CZ P-01. ;)

I sure enjoy mine and it has been trouble free. They seem to get a bad rap on this forum though.

To the OP, a friend of mine has the Ruger, he loves it.

Combat_Diver
04-09-10, 00:39
bulldawg64,

I don't like feel or angle on the Glocks either even thou I've got a G19 coming as a gift from my son (he knows that). Just remember the trigger on a Sigma was designed to replicate a DA revolver trigger as that is what Chiefs of Police wanted when it was designed. Have you consider a used Smith 3rd Generation 39xx/69xx series? Of the three you mentioned I have no experience with but do like the modular system of the SIG 250 the best as it gives you more options later.

CD

jp0319
04-09-10, 01:15
strictly out of your choices the Sig is the only one I would choose, that said I would go with a Glock 19 over all of those choices.

woody d
04-09-10, 07:55
wow, anyone here thinking he should go G19?;)...thats what id get

FMJs-of-Freedom
04-09-10, 10:21

Ruger SR9 C

Sig P250 Compact

Taurus 709

I pick.... Glock or XD

maximus83
04-09-10, 11:38

I was going to post exactly these 3 choices but Doc beat me to it.

Of the 3 you list, if those were the only choices you had, I guess I'd take the Sig, but in reality I'd PREFER an M&P or an H&K P30. One of these 2 could work for you as well, especially if you don't like the G19.

bulldawg64
04-10-10, 09:21
Well, I bought the SIG at $395. It has been flawless. I also liked the XD a lot and the HK and the M&P, but they were much more expensive. I've put 200+ rounds through the SIG without a hint of a problem. I do appreciate all the replies.

theblackknight
04-10-10, 09:59
SIG

or MP and glock.

Why do people even consider a SR9 anything? Have fun working that safety under stress.

Alpha Sierra
04-10-10, 10:08
Why do people even consider a SR9 anything? Have fun working that safety under stress.
How says you have to engage it at all?

It's a striker fired pistol. Ruger made a mistake by adding a manual safety to it. But that doesn't mean you have to make the second mistake of USING it.

palmbeach31
04-11-10, 20:53
Well, I bought the SIG at $395. It has been flawless. I also liked the XD a lot and the HK and the M&P, but they were much more expensive. I've put 200+ rounds through the SIG without a hint of a problem. I do appreciate all the replies.

Good choice. Sig over the other 2 is a no brainer.