PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.B.: Spike’s Tactical Adjustable Break

RogerinTPA
03-31-10, 16:16
Saw this while on military times and thought it was pretty neat, if it actually does what it says it will do. Looks like a modded Krink type FS. Anyone running one? Noticed Stickman took the photos. Plenty of pics on the link at the bottom of the page. I hope they're not copyrighted, if so, I will remove at owner's (Stickman) or Mod's request.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/03/16/s-t-a-b-spikes-tactical-adjustable-break/

S.T.A.B.: Spike’s Tactical Adjustable Break

March 16th, 2010 | Photo Recon Product Preview | Posted by Stickman

Spike’s Tactical has released a muzzle device with an interesting twist. The S.T.A.B. (Spike’s Tactical Muzzle Break) is designed to direct the muzzle blast forward on short-barreled carbines.

The idea of firing a short-barreled weapon indoors or from inside vehicles can be painful. With a muzzle device that directs the blast forward, your teammates will thank you, and so will your eardrums. One of the drawbacks to shorter barrels is that they often can be more finicky with ammunition. The S.T.A.B. creates back pressure to aid in reliability. What makes this device stand out from others is the ability to adjust the interior cone position, which creates more or less back pressure, and can adjust your rate of fire. Spike’s Tactical CEO Tom Miller says that every 16 clicks increases or decreases the rate of fire by 14 RPM. With a feature like this, you should be able to dial in whatever ammo you happen to favor.

From Spike’s Tactical:

The Spike’s Tactical Adjustable Break is an adjustable muzzle break designed to be used in a short barrel CQB application. It directs the blast downrange! The most common problem with short barrels is the lack of back pressure they need to cycle. You can adjust the back pressure up or down until you find that “sweet spot” your 7-10 inch upper needs to cycle properly.

* Machined from 303 stainless steel, while the cone of the the S.T.A.B is machined from an ULTRA high temp proprietary alloy.
* Adjustable by hand with no tools.
* Can be broken down for cleaning with no tools.
* Spring-loaded collar on the the S.T.A.B is wavy to achieve firm adjustment clicks.
* In testing, every 16 clicks decreased the rate of fire by 14 RPM.
* We have put thousands and thousands of rounds through the S.T.A.B. and have yet been able to burn one up!
* Coated inside and out (except for the cone) with Melonite, for corrosion resistance and durability.
* Size – OD is 1.37.
* OAL is 3.14.
* Weight is 10 ounces, or 284 grams.
* Made in the USA.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/stck0185-1024-stick.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/stck0180-1024-stick.jpg

Byron
03-31-10, 16:51
A 10 oz muzzle device? Ouch! I thought the KX3 was heavy :eek:

Interesting item, but I don't think I could stand adding that much weight at the muzzle.

shadow65
03-31-10, 20:43
Got to agree. I ditched the KX3 because of weight. Went to the Levang which I've been pretty happy with. Cost much less and weighs much less while doing most of what the KX3 does. You do lose some back pressure.