PDA

View Full Version : New Acog- need some help sighting and usage info.

tbird911
04-26-07, 16:43
Hi All,

I have an RRA Entry Tactical , 16" barrel, 1/9 twist on a flattop. I am using the default mount that comes with the scope and will be attempting to get it dialed in this weekend. I'm hoping somone can provide me witha download link for the appropriate zeroing target and instructions, some tips and advice for completeing this painlessly and a detailed explanation of the reticle used in this particular model (proper usage of the BDC lines and sight picture/placement of the chevron).

I'll be more than happy to post a range report afterwards.

Thanks in advance

Rifleman_04
04-26-07, 17:59
Did you try looking at trijicons website? That would be a good starting point.

tbird911
04-26-07, 18:13
I have looked at the site. It explains the BAC concept and gives specs for the scope. I could also read the booklet which comes with the scope (which I did) I was looking for reaql world experience and friendly tips-- about this specific scope if possible.

I have searched 3 different forums and am really having a time of it-- while telling me to look at the site is much appreciated, it wasnt very helpful.

Tbird

Rifleman_04
04-26-07, 18:44
Well when using it with the BAC for up close and personal the chevron is used as a plain red dot type. Just put it on target and pull the trigger. At 100 yds the zero should be at the tip of the chevron. At the base of the chevron is 300 yds. Then for the drop comp underneath you will notice that at each one it forms a cross hair and you use the cross hairs as a normal scope at those ranges. The first one is 400yds then 500 yds to 800 yds. You can also use the cross hairs as range estimation. the line will be as wide as an average persons shoulders. That was just a quick overview Im sure there will be more to chime in with more details and tidbits.

tbird911
04-26-07, 21:26
I've posted over on ar15.com too and not much response. I wonder if it's becuase this scope is so new? Anyway-- your info was much appreciated .

Thanks again!

Tbird Out

Mac679
04-27-07, 09:28
I didn't see this in your posts, but which model ACOG do you have?

shark31
04-27-07, 09:43
What model do you have?

Also it's calibrated in meters, not yards.

If it's a chevron, zero the top of the tip at 100 meters. The POA at 200m will be the bottom of the tip. The POA at 300m is in between the bottom of the "legs" of the chevron. All other POAs are clearly marked on the reticle.

TUNNEL RAT 33
04-27-07, 11:13
congrats on the acog , i have the 4x32 with the bac . you will definitely be impressed with the scope once you get the thing zeroed in . well worth the money !!!

flanker
04-27-07, 20:41
Have you just tried taking it out and shooting at a target?

tbird911
04-28-07, 06:57
Thanks for all of the replies with exception to one . . . I'll let you guys figure that one out.

Tbird out

rob_s
04-28-07, 07:22
While you may have not liked the response, there's an aweful lot to be said for getting it out there and shooting it. I think you're really over-thinking this.

Regardless, despite more than one poster asking, I still haven't seen where you've told us what model you're using.

jmart
04-28-07, 09:44
To boresight I would recommend starting at 25 yds. Use a large target (white butcher paper, a couple of sheets taped together) and maybe a small paster for an aimpoint. Use sandbags or a solid rest, even at this distance. Aimpoint is the chevron tip. Adjust point of impact to hit the aimpoint, or maybe even a bit low is OK at this point. Remember, since you are shooting at 25 yards, your click adjustments will only shift the POI 1/4th what they will at 100yds. So if you have 1/2 MOA adjustments and you are two inches left, you would need to crank in 16 clicks right adjustment to move the POI 2 inches at 25 yards.

Once sighted in at 25, then move any conventional target out to the 100 yd line and start shooting. Again, use the sandbags. Aimpoint remains the chevron tip. Make final adjustments with turrets to get POA to equal POI. At this stage the tip is your 100 yd aimpoint, the base is your 300 yard aimpoint, and the ladder provides your aimpoints for farther distances. These will be approximate depending upon how well your load coincides with these, but they'll be pretty close.

Closer-in distances (10-25 yards), you'll find yourself using the longer range ladder to provide close in aimpoints, you'll need to experiment.

Let us know how you like you TA33-8.

C4IGrant
04-28-07, 14:40
The RRA Tactical Entry model has that crappy tactical carry handle on it. You didn't mount the ACOG on top of that did you?? If so, that is a REALLY bad idea.

I zero ALL optics at 50yds so zero just the tip of the chevron at this distance as your next zero is about 200yds).

I personally would NOT worry about the BDC because your weapon is never going to be like the weapon they zeroed it for (14.5" M4 shooting M855).

C4

tbird911
04-30-07, 14:58
I mounted the scope on the flattop not the tactical carry handle (sold it long ago). I have the scope dialed in enough to hit 3" clay pigeons (stationary) at 125 yrds. I'd like to dial it it so that POI is more precise than that. I just need to fine tune it. I ran through about 4 magazines with this scope and it is my favorite thus far. (Had leupold, eotech, aimpoint and Super Sniper

The RRA Tactical Entry model has that crappy tactical carry handle on it. You didn't mount the ACOG on top of that did you?? If so, that is a REALLY bad idea.

I zero ALL optics at 50yds so zero just the tip of the chevron at this distance as your next zero is about 200yds).

I personally would NOT worry about the BDC because your weapon is never going to be like the weapon they zeroed it for (14.5" M4 shooting M855).

C4

flanker
05-01-07, 15:07
To boresight I would recommend starting at 25 yds. Use a large target (white butcher paper, a couple of sheets taped together) and maybe a small paster for an aimpoint. Use sandbags or a solid rest, even at this distance. Aimpoint is the chevron tip. Adjust point of impact to hit the aimpoint, or maybe even a bit low is OK at this point. Remember, since you are shooting at 25 yards, your click adjustments will only shift the POI 1/4th what they will at 100yds. So if you have 1/2 MOA adjustments and you are two inches left, you would need to crank in 16 clicks right adjustment to move the POI 2 inches at 25 yards.

Once sighted in at 25, then move any conventional target out to the 100 yd line and start shooting. Again, use the sandbags. Aimpoint remains the chevron tip. Make final adjustments with turrets to get POA to equal POI. At this stage the tip is your 100 yd aimpoint, the base is your 300 yard aimpoint, and the ladder provides your aimpoints for farther distances. These will be approximate depending upon how well your load coincides with these, but they'll be pretty close.

Closer-in distances (10-25 yards), you'll find yourself using the longer range ladder to provide close in aimpoints, you'll need to experiment.

Let us know how you like you TA33-8.
====
This is very helpful Info. thanks for posting it.

Rifleman_04
05-01-07, 17:14
Whats wrong with the tactical carry handle? I dont really like the regular carry handle because I dont use it as a carry handle. which brings me to my question so go easy on me. I got a RRA tactical carry handle for my Bushy M4 and was wondering if the 1.5x24 mini acog with the special ring base would work on the top of it. Id think that since it is only 1.5x that id still be able to see my irons.

C4IGrant
05-01-07, 17:22
Whats wrong with the tactical carry handle? I dont really like the regular carry handle because I dont use it as a carry handle. which brings me to my question so go easy on me. I got a RRA tactical carry handle for my Bushy M4 and was wondering if the 1.5x24 mini acog with the special ring base would work on the top of it. Id think that since it is only 1.5x that id still be able to see my irons.

What is right with it?

C4

Rifleman_04
05-01-07, 17:34
ok that helped?

C4IGrant
05-01-07, 17:41
ok that helped?

I know what is wrong with it. Do you know what is right with it?

C4

GunLovinTexan
05-01-07, 17:50
i dont like mounting stuff on my detachable carry handles because they always seem to come loose during extended periods of shooting and it also tends to lay the optic too high for me. Ontop of those 2 minor issues i have with them i also dont see why mount to that if you already have a flat top????

A1 and A2 are diffrent stories.

Rob

texasyid
12-25-07, 15:43
sorry double post

texasyid
12-25-07, 15:45

So I zero my TA33R8 at 50yds and my next zero is at 200yds. How high will I be at 100 yds? I am using a colt le6920 with a 16" barrel Black Hills 77 gr. match Thanks TY

Shihan
12-25-07, 22:05
Nice airsoft get up in the pic:D

doorkicker
12-26-07, 00:31
Something to be aware of that is often overlooked...the adjustments are 1/3 MOA vs. 1/4.

Just a tip :)

texasyid
12-26-07, 12:42
So three clicks will move POI one inch at 100yds. Right?

doorkicker
12-26-07, 12:44
Yep.
1/3 MOA adjustments and 1 MOA = roughly 1" @ 100yds