PDA

View Full Version : Building my big brother an M-4

ARinNC
04-26-07, 17:03
Well, I am working on a build right now.
My big brother is turning 40 this year. A real milestone. He served in the Navy as an enlisted man from 87 to 92 and the Army as an Officer from 97 to 04, so this is a keepsake for him to give his son one day.
The upper is coming from Del-Ton (it is actually at my sister's house, she lives in SC, I live in NC, didn't want to pay taxes on it, I admit it, I am a cheap bastard). It is a 14.5" M4 1/9 on a flat top, the lower is a DPMS. I am having the lower engraved.

Here is a photshop of the lower.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/Lowe-Final1.jpg
Orion Arms is doing the engraving (www.orion-arms.com )

Since it is a 14.5" I wanted to be compliant with the law (3/8 of a freaking inch!) I am having an SDI Extended A2 FS Blind-Pinned.
http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/images/large/products/exta2_LRG.jpg

It is getting topped with a Mateck BUIS.

It will have a 4 position stock and M4 Handguards. I am trying to get as close to the M4 he carried in the 82nd and the 3rd ID. I will posted pictures when it is finished.

sencless
04-27-07, 10:56
Well, I am working on a build right now.
My big brother is turning 40 this year. A real milestone. He served in the Navy as an enlisted man from 87 to 92 and the Army as an Officer from 97 to 02, so this is a keepsake for him to give his son one day.
The upper is coming from Del-Ton (it is actually at my sister's house, she lives in SC, I live in NC, didn't want to pay taxes on it, I admit it, I am a cheap bastard). It is a 14.5" M4 1/9 on a flat top, the lower is a DPMS. I am having the lower engraved.

Here is a photshop of the lower.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/Lowe-Final1.jpg
Orion Arms is doing the engraving (www.orion-arms.com )

Since it is a 14.5" I wanted to be compliant with the law (3/8 of a freaking inch!) I am having an SDI Extended A2 FS Blind-Pinned.
http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/images/large/products/exta2_LRG.jpg

It is getting topped with a Mateck BUIS.

It will have a 4 position stock and M4 Handguards. I am trying to get as close to the M4 he carried in the 82nd and the 3rd ID. I will posted pictures when it is finished.

Very nice!

SeriousStudent
04-29-07, 21:57
That looks really nice. And thanks to your brother for his service to our country.

SuicideHz
04-29-07, 23:58
What's the grip and mag release and are those staying or going?

ARinNC
04-30-07, 05:32
The lower pictured is on that I just pull off the net to photoshop. The Upper is here, the lower will be back this week. I should be finished with it by Friday.

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:27
O-I-C.

ARinNC
05-01-07, 14:00
Officer In Charge?
What do you mean?

fivepointoh
05-01-07, 16:18
Officer In Charge?
What do you mean?

Oh I See

BTW Can I be your brother?

ARinNC
05-01-07, 17:49
Oh I See

BTW Can I be your brother?

Absolutely. But you must get your own rifle.....:)

DocHolliday01
05-01-07, 18:01
Thats a damn nice thing to do for your brother, and it sounds like he is very deserving of it.

ARinNC
05-03-07, 17:39
As promised, the lower.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/IMG_0105.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/IMG_0111.jpg
Looks pretty good, they screwed up the front of the mag well a little bit though.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/m4.jpgThey missed with the bit a little. :(

Oh well. I am sure that Ryan at Orion Arms will take care of me. He is great.

I just sent the barrel off to AR15Barrels.com to get the SDI FS pinned.
I just received the the M4 Hand guards.
I won a Colt Mfg. Removable carry handle on eBay, it will be here next week.

I still need:
1. Black or OD Green Silent Sling
2. OD or Camo Cleaning Kit
3. Chamber Block (commonly called a flag)
4. Shoot-off barrel cap

SuicideHz
05-03-07, 18:00
Brian shouldn't have attempted to engrave that magwell. The bad seam in that lower is what caused his mill to run off course. Wait a minute- seam? Why does that lower have a seam like it's cast?

Ryan can't fix that.

It's a DPMS? Brand new? You should have sent it back.

You had better post pictures of that carry handle for us to look at when you get it. It may be a knockoff which is common practice for ebay- it may even say UTG on it. The bags might work but their metal parts are for airsoft.

Head to a local gunshow for the cleaning kit. But then again, you are probably talking about the GI buttstock style meant for rifles. Look into other options.

ARinNC
05-03-07, 18:10
Brian shouldn't have attempted to engrave that magwell. The bad seam in that lower is what caused his mill to run off course. Wait a minute- seam? Why does that lower have a seam like it's cast?

Ryan can't fix that.

It's a DPMS? Brand new? You should have sent it back.

You had better post pictures of that carry handle for us to look at when you get it. It may be a knockoff which is common practice for ebay- it may even say UTG on it. The bags might work but their metal parts are for airsoft.

Head to a local gunshow for the cleaning kit. But then again, you are probably talking about the GI buttstock style meant for rifles. Look into other options.
If it is not Colt, I will simply send it back and get a refund.
SuicideHz, you obviously think I am a NKOTB, I am not, thanks for your advice, but can you back off me a little bit?

I know the difference between Airsoft and "real steel", I have been active in Airsoft since November of 2002, and have competed in Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina and Virgina. I used to be a member of C.R.A.S.H until it was disbanded in 2005.

I was on Active Duty in the Marines from 1990 to 1996, 2 of those years as a rifle instructor. I have been building my own AR's since 1998.
I realize that you are trying to be helpful, but you are coming across as a know it all and kind of a bully. Please, again, back up off me.

DPMS Lowers are cast, that is why it looks cast. The seams don't really bother me.

The entire reply to my post sounds too aggressive and really out of line.

SuicideHz
05-03-07, 20:16
No, you are simply taking offense at this post because I told you to lay off of Fivepointoh in the other post.

Don't grasp at straws and try to play the victim here. I've been much meaner to much less deserving people.

Ok so DPMS lowers are cast? You saw that mark ahead of time? You shouldn't have sent that one away to get engraved and he shouldn't have engraved it. I wasn't too happy with my engraving job- the black paint was a little sloppy- too much in some areas and silver in others.

I didn't come in here to rag on you. I don't need your life history with the AR15.

ARinNC
05-03-07, 21:34
No, you are simply taking offense at this post because I told you to lay off of Fivepointoh in the other post.

Don't grasp at straws and try to play the victim here. I've been much meaner to much less deserving people.

Ok so DPMS lowers are cast? You saw that mark ahead of time? You shouldn't have sent that one away to get engraved and he shouldn't have engraved it. I wasn't too happy with my engraving job- the black paint was a little sloppy- too much in some areas and silver in others.

I didn't come in here to rag on you. I don't need your life history with the AR15.

SuicideHz, please do not hijack my thread with your opinions and angry rants...
"I didn't come in here to rag on you. I don't need your life history with the AR15."
Well all you have done since my 5.0 reply was rag on me, and I did need to illustrate that I am not a noob when it comes to weapons. Now, leave me alone, stop attacking me in every thread or I will contact a moderator.

SuicideHz
05-03-07, 22:20
I replied to your nastiness above and beyond the usual opinion everyone else was giving. I'm replying to this thread with a little insight and nothing more. If you want to take it the wrong way then you can if you want but don't fantasize that you are glorious enough to require special attention from me.

You think what I replied is biased based off of another thread? Get real.

I'll give you a real reply based solely on what I see in this thread and it's as follows:

That's nice of you to build a rifle for your brother. I hope he wasn't seriously injured over there- I'm saying that because I see it was for six months.

Oh, and another thing- it's unfortunate you picked a cast receiver to engrave and it's also unfortunate it has a bad seam right where you wanted it engraved. Even further aggravating the situation was OA's willingness to engrave over such a scar. That's a shame.

Rock-N-Ruin
05-04-07, 02:07
[QUOTE=ARinNC;51428]

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/jnortham/m4.jpg

I am totally neutral here as to what you two have going on,

if this was me: I would be a little hacked off to be handed the quality in this pic...
Nothing against you at all, what your doing for your brother is a respected jesture anyone would appreciate, but few get to... J.

ARinNC
05-04-07, 09:08
I replied to your nastiness above and beyond the usual opinion everyone else was giving. I'm replying to this thread with a little insight and nothing more. If you want to take it the wrong way then you can if you want but don't fantasize that you are glorious enough to require special attention from me.

You think what I replied is biased based off of another thread? Get real.

I'll give you a real reply based solely on what I see in this thread and it's as follows:

That's nice of you to build a rifle for your brother. I hope he wasn't seriously injured over there- I'm saying that because I see it was for six months.

Oh, and another thing- it's unfortunate you picked a cast receiver to engrave and it's also unfortunate it has a bad seam right where you wanted it engraved. Even further aggravating the situation was OA's willingness to engrave over such a scar. That's a shame.

I am done watching u hijack my thread. Moderator contacted. Please show me where I was nasty to you. I simply told you to GET OFF MY BACK. Should I post all of the hateful emails and pm's you have sent me? They are soo laced with profanity and insult they should win you a lot of fans. Would you like me to do this? Or would you like to calm down and take a minute.

ARinNC
05-04-07, 11:10
Admin or Moderator, please lock this thread.

I will start a new thread when the rifle is finished so you all can see. I appreciate everyones kind comments. And my brother was not injured. He was in 3rd Bgde 3rd ID, the spearhead of the assault into Iraq, he was transferred and promoted to FARP CO and his unit rotated back to Hunter AAF in September. Thanks for all of you Doggies, Swabbies and Leathernecks who have been to the sandbox, and all of you still there. My thoughts are with you. Wish I could build you all a commemorative rifle, I am not Bill Gates though :D. I wish then General Powell had told the JCS to shove it and finished this mess the 1st time when I was there. I only spent 6 months there myself, I was not injured, thank God.
I am not sure why SuicideHz took it up a crusade against me, especially in this thread, I am sure he has his reasons. but the things he said to me both in the thread and in PM's were totally unnecessary and some were downright nasty. SuicideHz, why not take an introspective moment, review what you wrote me and you will see that you were totally out of line. If the tables were turned, I assure you that you would feel the same way.

SuicideHz
05-04-07, 22:10
There were no PMs or IMs between us. He took it straight to email and threatened to have me banned and threatened to "call the authorities" on me.

I tried to reason with him. There was no crusade.

Good thing Rob_s didn't give his opinion. He's a lot nastier than I am ;)

Good riddance Jamie.

ETA: Please trash this damn thing Paul...