PDA

View Full Version : training video question

nwcatman
04-01-10, 06:43
well, i took you guys advice and got the magpul art of the dynamic handgun set and i gotta say it has blown me away w/ what i DON'T KNOW even after years of LE experience. but a question. in the first dvd, he tells a guy his trigger control is his main problem and pinches his finger and says " feel the pain thats where you should be placing ur finger on the trigger". where did he exactly "pinch" the guys finger. the pad? the first joint? thanks

John_Wayne777
04-01-10, 07:36
Not having seen the video I can't say for sure...

However, the usually agreed upon "ideal" trigger finger placement is in the middle of the pad of the trigger finger...right at the center of the spot where your fingerprint is. That finger placement allows for very fine control of the trigger while offering the least opportunity for torquing the gun as the trigger is pulled, throwing off a shot.

It is referred to as an "ideal" trigger finger placement because a combination of physiology and weapon platform may preclude use of it. Some may be forced to use the first joint of their finger to pull a long double-action trigger.

jaydoc1
04-01-10, 09:22
However, the usually agreed upon "ideal" trigger finger placement is in the middle of the pad of the trigger finger...right at the center of the spot where your fingerprint is.

Having had Costa perform that exact maneuver with me I can tell you that that is where he is pinching in the video. :D

nwcatman
04-01-10, 15:03
well hell i have been doing it there for years. our instructors keep telling us to use the "joint" between the first and second pad of the finger. like most everything they teach its mostly wrong.

rugbymike
04-01-10, 16:25
I've seen and read a lot of shooting advice, their DVD is AWSOME. It should be called Art of the Common Sense handgun. I think the government should buy that in mass quantity and issue it to all Military and LEO.

skyugo
04-02-10, 01:11
Not having seen the video I can't say for sure...

However, the usually agreed upon "ideal" trigger finger placement is in the middle of the pad of the trigger finger...right at the center of the spot where your fingerprint is. That finger placement allows for very fine control of the trigger while offering the least opportunity for torquing the gun as the trigger is pulled, throwing off a shot.

It is referred to as an "ideal" trigger finger placement because a combination of physiology and weapon platform may preclude use of it. Some may be forced to use the first joint of their finger to pull a long double-action trigger.

hmm.. i tend slightly more toward the tip. setting the trigger in the knuckle joint definitely works like crap.

Surf
04-02-10, 01:37
well, i took you guys advice and got the magpul art of the dynamic handgun set and i gotta say it has blown me away w/ what i DON'T KNOW even after years of LE experience. but a question. in the first dvd, he tells a guy his trigger control is his main problem and pinches his finger and says " feel the pain thats where you should be placing ur finger on the trigger". where did he exactly "pinch" the guys finger. the pad? the first joint? thanksUnfortunately LE is often times far behind the game, especially with many smaller or less progressive departments where they do not keep their instructors, materials and techniques up to date.

Having said that, the Magpul guys are right on the forefront of what is considered the most current, modern or cutting edge methodology of the combat shooter meets gamer in firearms training. They may not necessarily be the ones re-inventing all of the current wheel, but they are definitely a training group that is well respected, who are aggressively pressing the materials in an easy to grasp method, with a teaching style that is embraced by their students. With their popularity and success on both the product and training group side of the house, they definitely have the medium to get the word out to more people who are interested in bettering their skills, with good product to boot.

Kudos to them!