PDA

View Full Version : Promag PM136 Sights Anyone Use them

nozzle13
04-01-10, 11:07
Anyone use these sights? They seem to be an economical replacement for the GG&G ones. I've searched everywhere for an opinion, but have come up with nothing from anyone that actually has them. It seems like it would be a good sight for the money.

lethal dose
04-01-10, 11:13
To answer your question... no. If you want my opinion on them... they probably suck. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of those airsoft garbage companies.

nozzle13
04-01-10, 11:55
I probably should of clarified my request for an opinion.

Has anyone actually held them, used them, or have working knowledge of them?

I am pretty sure they make firearms accessories, and not airsoft stuff. Predominantly magazines and rails and such. I know there probably closer to Hi-point vs. Sig, and I've read very unfavorable reviews of there Saiga 12 mags. Overall though they seem like they would be an option on a plinker gun. I'm not thinking of putting these on may primary rifle.

Stickman
04-01-10, 12:08
Airsoft clone of the GG&G MAD from what I saw. I've watched them come apart on the range a few times.

mtdawg169
04-01-10, 14:39
A friend of mine bought a pro mag buis last year trying to save a few bucks. They are total crap. His had a different aperature, similar to a standard A2 style. They constantly come loose & don't lock up or down. They use a weak detent to stay up / down. When in the up position, they rock back & forth about 1/8 to 3/16". The crazy part is that he took my advice and bought a BCM upper, then put junk accessories on it.

Lee Indy
04-01-10, 14:45
always get what you pay for. just get a mbus

CarlosDJackal
04-01-10, 15:31
I have 2 of them. They function for what they are intended for. They do wobble side-to-side a bit. But I've never had an issue with these and I think that they are a good buy for the price.

Would I use them on a deployment? If these are all that I had, then hell yes. I have never had a problem with them falling off, getting in the way, or loosing zero. YMMV.

nozzle13
04-01-10, 17:22
Carlos,

Cool deal that's the kind of info I wanted to hear. I'd like to get the GG&G's, but I figured I would get these, and see if I like the sight picture they offered. If I like it I will probably save up for the GG&G MAD, with the tritium inserts. Then again if they hold up, I may just keep them. They are gonna go on my new 5.45 upper, so they will be there to thrash.

Lee Indy
04-01-10, 18:45
why do people ask for advise when they've already made up there mind. 3 people say there crap and one guy says there crappy but okay. if youre gonna buy it just freaking do it already.

Joeywhat
04-01-10, 18:49
Does Pro Mag make ANYTHING that's worth a damn? I don't think I've ever owned a product of theirs that actually worked.

Magpul MBUS sights are like $80 a set. But it's your money...

Bimmer
04-01-10, 19:24
Does Pro Mag make ANYTHING that's worth a damn?

Yes.

On Amicus's advice, I got a ProMag carry-handle scope mount for my AR. I use to occasionally mount a scope (not for serious purposes). Amicus was right: it works well, and in some ways it's nicer than the similar Leupold piece that cost 3x as much.

I also have a ProMag rubber buttpad on my rifle right now. I'm not proud of this, but it IS perfect.

Since we're on the subject of bargains, I have a UTG rail mount for a flashlight on my gun, too. I'm not proud to have put UTG stuff on my gun, either, but it was cheap, and it's perfect, too.

Would I buy ProMag sights, or magazines? No. But for stuff like this, ProMag is fine.

Bimmer

Stickman
04-02-10, 00:47
Cool deal that's the kind of info I wanted to hear.

Evidently it is.

OTO27
04-02-10, 02:26
just skip on eating out a few times and get what the cool guys in school are getting, the arms #40 lsp http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/ARMS_40_L-SP_AR-15_Rear_Sight-s.jpg

aftermath686
04-02-10, 03:02
They do wobble side-to-side a bit.
I have never had a problem with them falling off, getting in the way, or loosing zero. YMMV.

WTF:confused: This makes tons of sense.

OP you obviously were already decided on them. Why waste peoples time.

mtdawg169
04-02-10, 06:52
We have had several of these "What do you guys think about, (insert crappy brand here)?" Threads pop up lately. It seems like they always turn into the OP defending a bad decision that they have already made. What the hell is going on around here lately? Don't waste our time if you're not looking for a 100% unvarnished opinion. We don't really care about making you feel cool just because you bought a new toy.

hikeeba
04-02-10, 08:50
Does Pro Mag make ANYTHING that's worth a damn? I don't think I've ever owned a product of theirs that actually worked.

Honestly, I've had really good luck with their 10- and 20-round Mini-14 magazines. Those are the only ProMag items I have experienced. Wait, I take that back. I think my first VFG, an $8 broomhandle, was a ProMag item. It needed a fair amount of filing before it would slide onto the rail, but it did work fine on my 9mm AR.

We have had several of these "What do you guys think about, (insert crappy brand here)?" Threads pop up lately. It seems like they always turn into the OP defending a bad decision that they have already made. What the hell is going on around here lately? Don't waste our time if you're not looking for a 100% unvarnished opinion. We don't really care about making you feel cool just because you bought a new toy.

"What do you guys think about (a component OP will buy, but seeks validation/approval from the masses first)?"
"Which rifle should I buy?"
"Which (insert any component here) should I buy?"
'What's the best (insert any component here)?"
"Critique my (build, build plan, rifle, component purchase)!"

Each time a thread like the above is posted, thousands of babies - humans, puppies, bunnies, kitties, etc - are killed instantly. Do you really want to be a baby killer? No? Then think about your topic a bit before hitting that New Thread button. Type your query into The Google first, and see what you come up with. Do your own research, compile information, and make your own educated decision. Do your own homework. If after that you still have trouble deciding, you'll at least equipped to compose a more detailed and substantial query.

I believe mtdawg169 is correct when he believes that whoever is asking the question has already made their decision. But I think they ask anyways as an attempt to gain attention or acceptance to bolster their own insecuritiy.

rifleman2000
04-02-10, 08:57

I believe mtdawg169 is correct when he believes that whoever is asking the question has already made their decision. But I think they ask anyways as an attempt to gain attention or acceptance to bolster their own insecuritiy.

This attitude is ridiculous, and unfortuneately, prevelant in quite a few members here. The OP asked a question regarding the functionality of a piece of equipment based on experience. That is what this forum is for, the exchange of information, knowledge, and ideas. Almost nobody gave him a straight answer, or had the information he was looking for.

Feel cool because you bought a new toy?

Bolster their own insecurity?

Are you kidding? Are you psychologists as well as a uber gun experts?

Lee Indy
04-02-10, 10:20
what were you reading?

the op asked a question and didnt like the answer. if you dont like the truth get bent

subzero
04-02-10, 10:30
Are you psychologists as well as a uber gun experts?

No, but I can read. Allow me to sum this thread up for you.

OP posts about a product. Two people reply with firsthand information that they are crap. OP replies that he believes the company puts out some crappy products but this one is ok. Another replies that he has the product and it's serviceable. OP thanks the guy with the good opinion of the product.

Clearly he's looking to validate the idea that he already has. This is a well known psychological tendency called the Confirmation Bias. People make up their minds first, then ask for "advice" to validate their opinions.

mtdawg169
04-02-10, 10:37
I'm not a shrink or an expert. However, I have had experience with the product he asked about and gave an honest opinion about its generally crappy quality. Some posted their opinion without having experience. Others, posted their qualified opinions in an effort to help the OP avoid wasting his time & money. His response was to ignore a majority of good information. My point is, don't ask if you really don't want an honest answer.

The bottom line is these sights are crap. At a minimum I would expect a buis to lock into place solidly, these don't. How do I know? I shot a rifle wearing them last weekend and they are verifiably, junk. That is apparently ok with some people, but not me. I'm not a gear snob, but there is a difference between crap accessories designed to cash in on the AR trend and true, serviceable gear.

My post above is my observation of a recent trend on M4C. More & more folks asking relatively basic questions and getting their feelings hurt when the most experienced folks in the industry give them an honest opinion about their gear, warts & all. As I said, I'm no expert, but there are PLENTY of them around here. Their opinions should not be lightly dismissed, there is a depth of knowledge here that surpasses most forums. That experience generally leads to a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

mtdawg169
04-02-10, 10:41
Subzero, your sig line pretty much sums up my recent observations. ;)

Kchen986
04-02-10, 10:45
Well, in OP's defense, all of the posts criticizing the BUIS were "from what I saw.." and "My friend's" and "if I'm not mistaken." Carlos D Jackal was the only one to offer a first-hand ownership account.

Just some food for thought.

To OP: No, I don't have experience w/ the PM136 sights, but Promag products are generally poorly regarded in the gun world for a reason. For that price (~$60), why not spring for the Magpul MBUS?

rifleman2000
04-02-10, 10:46
The bottom line is these sights are crap. At a minimum I would expect a buis to lock into place solidly, these don't. How do I know? I shot a rifle wearing them last weekend and they are verifiably, junk.

See, that was the answer the OP wanted in the first place.

rifleman2000
04-02-10, 10:51
No, but I can read. Allow me to sum this thread up for you.

OP posts about a product. Two people reply with firsthand information that they are crap. OP replies that he believes the company puts out some crappy products but this one is ok. Another replies that he has the product and it's serviceable. OP thanks the guy with the good opinion of the product.

Clearly he's looking to validate the idea that he already has. This is a well known psychological tendency called the Confirmation Bias. People make up their minds first, then ask for "advice" to validate their opinions.

Let me sum up the thread for you. The OP asked for opinions on a piece of equipment based on experience.

Most of the replies were "I think", "I saw...", or "it's crap" without explanation or quantification. A lack of useful information.

Then a bunch of others piled in to say that the OP was some loser that wanted affirmation for his pathetic choices.

Then others jumped in to defend these asinine assertions.

Then others jumped in to ratify the party line of "our rifles are for gunfighting blah blah blah we are experts blah blah blah".

Then I was told to get bent.

mtdawg169
04-02-10, 13:46
Let me sum up the thread for you. The OP asked for opinions on a piece of equipment based on experience.

Most of the replies were "I think", "I saw...", or "it's crap" without explanation or quantification. A lack of useful information.

Then a bunch of others piled in to say that the OP was some loser that wanted affirmation for his pathetic choices.

Then others jumped in to defend these asinine assertions.

Then others jumped in to ratify the party line of "our rifles are for gunfighting blah blah blah we are experts blah blah blah".

Then I was told to get bent.

Sooo, basically you're saying this thread has gone to shit. I agree. It's pretty much my fault, so for that, I apologize to the OP. I was venting my frustration at not just this particular thread but several that have popped up recently. This happened to be the one that I tried to lend some experiential first-hand knowledge. Like other similar threads I have noticed recently, the OP seemed to have already made up his mind, based on his response & it didn't really matter what anyone had to say except for the single poster that agreed with him.

It is not my intention to discourage questions like the one posted here. I don't pretend to be a gunfighter whose life depends on his AR either. However, there is value in shutting up and spending some time reading, using the search function, etc. around here. Many of the topics, brands & accessories brought up for discussion around here have been thoroughly discussed in the past. If you want to know if something is good to go, this is an excellent place to find out. Check out the stickies & spend some time with the search function.

But, I stand by my original point, don't ask for someone's opinion on the cheapest, bargain bin, airsoft junk accessories that you just bought unless you are prepared for someone to tell you exactly what you wasted your hard earned money on. Why bother asking if you are going to ignore the facts? Now THAT is asinine.

Rifleman, you make a good point by reminding us that we should observe some common courtesy around here. Sorry that someone felt it was necessary to make a remark like that.

nozzle13
04-02-10, 14:06
Ok then, took two pages for me to find out who I am, and what I think. Woohoo damn I feel so enlightened.

Here's the deal:
I know promag has put out some crappy shit ie. my familiarity with there Saiga 12 magazines.

If you do a search on Google, you'll find tons o crap about there magazines.
Now do a search on there sights... Nada,nothing,nunca.

On this forum if you do a search you will find lots of picture threads with ProMag sights on user submitted pictures. So apparently somebody has bought this shit before. No one has written a review. So I asked a question:

The first response knows nothing first hand and refers to them as airsoft, I'm pretty sure they've been making GUN stuff since way before airsoft even started. Maybe substandard, ie. "hi-point"ish but there is still a standard.

The second is from Stickman, and I respect his opinion, but it was "I saw someone else's", and I figured it was probably in some hi-speed class that he attended, so really didn't apply to my situation.

The third was buy magpul. You type in MBUS in the search at the top of the page and you get lots and lots of info. I'm pretty versed on that subject, this one not so much.

Therefore when Carlos interjected I thanked him for his input, because that was the kind of review that I wanted. Someone who actually owned them. My thinking being I think I would like the GG&G Mad series. This would be a cheap alternative that I could range shoot for a while to see if I liked the sight picture they offered. Then if I don't like them I'm out 40$ and not 200$, and hell if they work well BONUS!!

I also knew that most would just spout crap, because they were not a Noveske, Colt, or Knights. Which is pretty much what happened save a few replies. The truth is I'm not asking to be validated by anyone who is a legend in there own mind. Just if these sights would be an adequate sight that would replicate the version I am thinking of purchasing later...

You know what, hell with it I'm gonna buy 10 pair, mount them in series on a Noveske upper, and Post a picture in every forum. That will show'em:D

mtdawg169
04-02-10, 14:23
I guess you missed post #5 with specific complaints about them.

If all you want to do is see if you would like the GG&G MAD-style sight, it's cheaper than buying the real thing. On the other hand, if you're going to get the MAD anyway, don't waste your $40 on these. Just buy the GG&G. If you don't like it, you can sell it off "like new" at a $40 discount and you're done... buy once, cry once.

I have bought and sold alot of parts over the years. If you don't beat up the parts until you know they are functionally what you are looking for, you can usually get back 85-90% of your investment if you decide to resell.

rychencop
04-02-10, 14:31
don't skimp on sights. if you want a good folding buis, Troy or KAC are the ticket.

nozzle13
04-02-10, 14:43
I read pretty well actually. If you look at post #5, you'll see that you wrote that it had a different aperature as in A2 style. I figured you were talking about the other type of sights that they offer that is similar to the UTG or ARMS sights, which I know have lots of problems with the springs that hold the sight up once extended. So therefore once again was not an answer to my specific question.

Here's the deal. I have a 5.45 upper coming in, probably next week. I also have 2100 rounds sitting in there tins in my garage. I want to get the GG&G sights, but not sure if I will have buyers remorse because of the sight picture. Plus the fact that I won't have the surplus cash for a month or so more like 3 for 200$ sights.

When my upper gets here I want to shoot it, that is what I like to do, so I'm probably gonna put something inexpensive on it so I can just sling lead. That's it. I just wanted to know if it will cinch down secure without stripping, hold a zero, and be reasonably accurate for getting the feel of the 5.45.

aflin
04-02-10, 15:37
You know what, hell with it I'm gonna buy 10 pair, mount them in series on a Noveske upper, and Post a picture in every forum. That will show'em:D

That sounds like a good idea actually. Since they aren't reviews on these, you should be a scapegoat and try them. Then come back on the forum and let us know what you think. Granted we all know the sight aren't going to hold up in a course, but most people aren't going to courses. It sounds like a cheap alternative for plinking

Lee Indy
04-02-10, 15:40
either way its a knock off

JonnyVain
04-02-10, 15:43
I probably should of clarified my request for an opinion.

Has anyone actually held them, used them, or have working knowledge of them?

I am pretty sure they make firearms accessories, and not airsoft stuff. Predominantly magazines and rails and such. I know there probably closer to Hi-point vs. Sig, and I've read very unfavorable reviews of there Saiga 12 mags. Overall though they seem like they would be an option on a plinker gun. I'm not thinking of putting these on may primary rifle.

If you want affordable, get a fixed sight. Daniel Defense and Troy make great options. Save up for better folding sights and the fixed can be sold at close to their same value if you take care of them. You'll end up losing less money on them.

If you want cheap, keep it simple.

You have to understand that a good piece of equipment will last you possibly a lifetime. $125 spent and you have the benefits forever.

Bad equipment may only be $50 spent, but that's $50 wasted.

JonnyVain
04-02-10, 15:45

Magpul MBUS sights are like $80 a set. But it's your money...

I have a Promag VFG. It's pretty much identical to the knights VFG. I've had no problems. But it's not the same as a sight.

ETA: Damn, people in this forum are so sensitive.

aflin
04-04-10, 00:17
I have a Promag VFG. It's pretty much identical to the knights VFG. I've had no problems. But it's not the same as a sight.

ETA: Damn, people in this forum are so sensitive.

Not as sensitive as people on arfcom...