PDA

View Full Version : Introduction..

Jake Bauer
04-01-10, 16:15
Hey Guys, First poster here.

I just ordered my Daniel Defense XV and should be getting it soon. It's my first AR and I got a sweet deal on it. Anyways, I plan on throwing on some Magpul MOE furniture (Handguard, couple rail sections, and stock), and the MOE Vertical grip and MOE +grip when they arrive (btw, does anyone have an updated ETA on these? I heard "spring/summer 10" but didnt know if its been updated). Also going to order 4 more Pmags for a total of 5 for now.

I'm also looking at the Magpul MS2 sling. Whats the main difference between the MS2 and new MS3? Along with the MS2, I was planning on getting the ASAP attachment. Again, heard of a new attachment point coming out for the handguard, the RSA. The catalog says it's for the MS3, but would it work for the MS2?

Also plan on getting a Flashlight setup (Fenix TK10, and Fenix pressure switch and Fenix weapons light mount.) Ive seen a couple Fenix lights in action, and read a lot of good reviews about the TK10 and pressure switch, and it's in a good price range for me.

Eventually, I'll be putting an Eotech 512 on the rifle, but It'll take me a while to save for it (I'm in college after all). I know lots of AR guru's are going for aimpoints over Eotechs, but for my desires and past experiences with Eotechs, I'm satisfied with my choice.

Anyway, Glad to be here and look forward to learning a lot more.

PrivateCitizen
04-01-10, 16:38
Congrats on the new rifle and welcome to M4C.

Before I'd go loading up my first AR I'd put some live fire down-range.

You can load it up and the like, but if you don't shoot it, what's the point, really?

Good choice on the DD.

Train safe.

Ranger325
04-01-10, 16:53
Welcome from another noobie, this is a great place with lots of info............................please post pics when you get your DD!!

jaxman7
04-01-10, 18:09
Hey Jake Bauer and welcome to the forum. I am relatively new myself bud. As far as using all the new toys for the AR I would keep it very k.i.s.s. for right now but I do highly recommend the ASAP plate and a single point sling for now and that's it as far as slings go. You will find out one very very important thing about the AR as you progress in your time downrange with your AR. It is a very personal rifle and configures itself to each users needs extremely well. I have literally spent many thousands of dollars figuring out what best works for me personally. Honestly bud keep it simple and take a lot of classes and get acquainted with the basic ar platform before you start with the (magpul is Great for this) accessories. For now learn how colt's basic platform work's. After you have mastered this then you can start figuring what works the best for you. Get a great instructor first then after much trigger time,go from there. Hope this helps. But for now master the basics, manipulation of the weapon system, acquiring sights, trigger pull,trigger reset,reloads,speed reloads, malfunction drills,etc. Feeling comfortable and confident with the weapon is first and foremost. Everything else is secondary.

OTO27
04-02-10, 02:43
Good choice for a rifle. As far as the optics war thing, dont sweat it, both aimpoint and eotechs are great, its all about personal preference. I personally use eotech on my duty AR and it has served me well. Sure the battery life is not as good as the aimpoints but I still havent had to change batteries more than once every 2 months.

Big Willy
04-02-10, 07:40
Hi Jake!

It's good to see I'm not the only FNG (new guy) here.

This is a great site! I spend hours looking and learning.

I’m waiting for one more part and then I can shoot my first AR! One of the vendors I used to buy the parts for my “build” (term used loosely) forgot to put the Bolt Carrier Group I ordered in with the rest of my parts on that order. I’m anxiously awaiting a tracking number for the missing part. It’s like getting a new bike for Christmas as a kid, only to find out you can’t ride it until the snow melts. :(

I put it (my AR/M4) together with the help of many in the AR community. We are very fortunate to have such knowledgeable and helpful people (rob_s, 5pins, Stickman, willardcw4 & TehLlama to name a few) on these forums. :D

Good luck with your new purchase!

Big Willy

Tom Swift
04-02-10, 09:38
Hey Jack nice name you got there, I'm pretty much in the same boat Student who will actually be entering University next year money is tight and building my first AR is expensive. I'm building mine piece by piece to lower the immediate cost. This forum is awesome definitely a lot of great information and knowledgeable folks.

Blankwaffe
04-02-10, 13:40
Welome aboard.
I agree with the others,get the rifle and use it a bit before setting your sights on additinal furniture and configuration.Depending on the optic you may want a stock similar to the Magpul ACS or LMT SOPMOD to improve cheek weld.
The MOE handguard is good to go regardless.As far as slings and attachments...dont forget the DD XVM4 comes with the DD quick detach receiver end plate and only requires a sling with QD swivel.Also note the DD does not have the traditional sling loops in place on the FSB or stock.
That said I personally do not care much for the ASAP as it is IMHO too noisy...i.e. rattles around like a pocket full of keys.But thats my opinion.
I personally prefer a two point sling such as the Vickers Combat Applications Sling,which will require a front attachment point such as either a Colt style M4 barrel/FSB side sling mount with your standard handguards or a side sling mount setup on your MOE handguard.
The Colt style barrel/FSB side sling mount will work with the MOE handguard but you have to modify the front handguard wing to allow full clearance.
Otherwise in my experience with a DD XVM4,its good to go right out of the box and only requires oil,mags and ammo.Darn good shooter.
Just remember to disassemble,clean and oil the weapon as soon as you get it.The DD I had in hand had a film of heavy unknown lube on the parts and in the barrel.So wipe it down good,punch the bore and lube before use.

VooDoo6Actual
04-02-10, 14:03
Welcome Jake.

Jake Bauer
04-02-10, 18:08
Thanks for the welcome and advice guys.

Blank, thanks for the info on the slings. I'm not a fan of rattling guns, so the ASAP might not be good for me.

Blankwaffe
04-02-10, 18:58
Jake,
Like I said the DD comes with a QD end plate already installed...so keep that in mind.When we ordered the DD XVM4 I was not aware that it came with the DD end plate and ordered one at the same time...needless to say we were suprised when the gun came out of the box.
As far as the ASAP,if you tape the loop or install a piece of rubber tubing over the loop it takes the rattle out.Personally it just was not meant to be for me.

Jake Bauer
04-03-10, 16:54
Thanks again Blank