PDA

View Full Version : What is a LE 6920

yosel
04-01-10, 17:59
What is it about the Colt LE 6920 that makes it the LE6920?
Is it the removable handle and the grenade launching barrel or something else?

I do not see why it needs to be marked "for Law enforcement or government use only" especially when they are sold to everyone anyway.
The Colt website is of no real help on this ( big surprise!!).

Jay Cunningham
04-01-10, 18:04
http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

You really couldn't find this info with a cursory search?

bkb0000
04-01-10, 18:05
colt has a long history of CYA policies, and this is just a leftover from that. it also adds a level of perceived exclusivity that some people like- "when people see my gun, they'll see it says LEO-only and make assumptions," i guess. this would explain why LMT LEO-marked lowers seem to sell for more than non-marked.

bkb0000
04-01-10, 18:06
http://www.colt.com/law/lecarbine.asp

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

You really couldn't find this info with a cursory search?

i think he's asking why it's "LE," not what specs make it a "6920" - OP correct me if i'm wrong.

yosel
04-01-10, 18:20
i think he's asking why it's "LE," not what specs make it a "6920" - OP correct me if i'm wrong.

Exactly what I am asking, you are NOT wrong. Thank you.

Besides, the chart compares the components of various brands while using only the 6920 to represent the Colts. It does not address the features of the LE6920.

TOrrock
04-01-10, 18:58
It's marked LE only for the same reason that Remington marked their top folding stocks for the 870 as LE only.....it gives anti gun police chiefs the warm fuzzies and Colt a certain amount of plausible deniability.

When the state of Connecticut came in in 1989/1990 and dumped a bunch of money into Colt, one of the provisions was that Colt could no longer sell "Assault Rifles" to civilians. That's when the AR-15A2 had the bayonet lug taken off and called a Colt Sporter. After the 1994 AWB, the flash suppressor was taken off and they were called Match Target.

So, Colt is not selling AR-15's to civilians, because they're marked Law Enforcement/Government Use Only.

The Colt 6520, 6721, 6490, and 6450 are all marked LE only.

CaptainDooley
04-01-10, 19:25
colt has a long history of CYA policies, and this is just a leftover from that. it also adds a level of perceived exclusivity that some people like- "when people see my gun, they'll see it says LEO-only and make assumptions," i guess. this would explain why LMT LEO-marked lowers seem to sell for more than non-marked.

The funny thing is my MT6400c is the exact same rifle now (minus a bayonet lug) and mine has the model rolled on it as M4 right under the Colt pony. Not that I care, I just think it's funny that their neutered model is listed as an M4.

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-01-10, 20:22
When the state of Connecticut came in in 1989/1990 and dumped a bunch of money into Colt, one of the provisions was that Colt could no longer sell "Assault Rifles" to civilians. That's when the AR-15A2 had the bayonet lug taken off and called a Colt Sporter. After the 1994 AWB, the flash suppressor was taken off and they were called Match Target.

So, Colt is not selling AR-15's to civilians, because they're marked Law Enforcement/Government Use Only.

The Colt 6520, 6721, 6490, and 6450 are all marked LE only.

Is this really true? Colt took money from Connecticut on the condition that it would not sell rifles to civilians?
IF Colt did this why are they not hated like Bill Ruger was for saying civilians only need 10 rounds magazines?

Jay Cunningham
04-01-10, 20:28
Exactly what I am asking, you are NOT wrong. Thank you.

Besides, the chart compares the components of various brands while using only the 6920 to represent the Colts. It does not address the features of the LE6920.

Sorry OP - my bad. I was a little too quick on the trigger finger. Reading *Is* Fundamental, to include mods and staff. :cool:

Now let me get back to that Glock vs. 1911 thread... :D

PRGGodfather
04-01-10, 20:41
While Colt makes a great product, and clearly doesn't mind selling them to civilians now that the Federal AWB has sunset -- they don't really care about the civilian market, IMHO. They didn't need us, as they had a practical monopoly for the longest time, and I doubt anyone would argue Connecticut is an anti-gun state.

Not exactly pro-business, and certainly not pro-gun-business, IMHO.

Simply, if Colt had NOT set the industry standard of quality for this platform and supplied so many of military services -- I, for one, would have NO qualms considering them complete 2A sell-outs, just like Mr. Ruger. To be scrupulously fair, Smith & Wesson's magazine safety is another example of pandering to anti-gun twits. Since so much of the planet has volunteered to be neutered, our ridiculous cultural desire for cosmopolitanism contributes to such silliness. We are Americans and free for a reason, and losing this right is to lose our identity -- as well as our civilization.

It's a screwed up industry, and the politicos had no small part in it -- but when they are the only vendor on the block, we have a tendency to be very polite, if hardly honest...

TOrrock
04-01-10, 20:42
If I state something on here, then it's true to the best of my knowledge.

Colt didn't stop selling rifles to civilians, they stopped selling Assault Rifles to civilians because if they didn't take the CT money, they would have gone bankrupt. All they did was change the name and take the bayonet lug off their rifles, leaving the flash suppressors.

Is this really true? Colt took money from Connecticut on the condition that it would not sell rifles to civilians?
IF Colt did this why are they not hated like Bill Ruger was for saying civilians only need 10 rounds magazines?

TheEVIL6920
04-01-10, 21:14
DO any other makers have LEO stamped on their lowers?

TOrrock
04-01-10, 21:15
DO any other makers have LEO stamped on their lowers?

LMT has.

bkb0000
04-01-10, 21:15
LMT has.

as an option

.45fmjoe
04-01-10, 21:35

Actually, according to Colt the LE and MT lines are in place for states that still have some sort of AWB in place. They make the MT line because they say it still sells. ;)

yosel
04-01-10, 22:21
Thanks for all the answers, now I am completly confused, which is nothing new!

Correct me if I am wrong; Colt marks these as LE only so that they can sell "assault" rifles to civilians,something that they are not supposed to be doing, but since they are marked "LE only" they are relieved of the responsibility since it is the retailer who sells to the civilian, not Colt.

Colt is off the hook since the "LE only" proves that Colt's intent is not to provide these to the civilian. Is that right??:confused: Does anyone know who's on first??

I still do not have the answer as to what makes the "LE" the "LE".
At least I don't think that it has been answered.

bkb0000
04-01-10, 22:31
Thanks for all the answers, now I am completly confused, which is nothing new!

Correct me if I am wrong; Colt marks these as LE only so that they can sell "assault" rifles to civilians,something that they are not supposed to be doing, but since they are marked "LE only" they are relieved of the responsibility since it is the retailer who sells to the civilian, not Colt.

Colt is off the hook since the "LE only" proves that Colt's intent is not to provide these to the civilian. Is that right??:confused: Does anyone know who's on first??

I still do not have the answer as to what makes the "LE" the "LE".
At least I don't think that it has been answered.

you're not that confused.. that about sums it up. for COLT, the LE features are gonna be a threadable flash hider, bayo lug, and telescoping stock for the "assault rifle" designation.. STANDARD (commonly known as "m16") BCG, hpt/mpi barrels, and other TDP compliant specs, in addition. nowadays, they might have other non LE/Mil guns that have some of these, but those were the initial criteria. the specs were Colt calls, the lug/stock/threaded muzzle device were legal issues during the Ban.

yosel
04-01-10, 22:37
Thank you.

fdxpilot
04-02-10, 00:29
Just to add to the discussion, Colt carries 2 "different" lines. The sporting "non-assault rifle" Match Target rifle line, which can be found at the Colt commercial website:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c6-Colt_Rifles.aspx

The other line is found at the Colt Defense website and caters to military and law enforcement needs. Usually, non-auto fire models of these can be bought by the general public, but normally carry the "LE/Govt Use" markings.

http://www.colt.com/mil/home.asp

However, if you peruse the Colt Defense site, you will notice that the name of the 6920 is Colt LE Carbine, hence the model number LE6920. The two AR15s have "AR6x20" model numbers. As far as I can tell, to answer your question about features, a LE6920 is an M4, with all the same features, except with a 16" barrel and a semi-auto FCG. The LE6921, which you don't see too often, is the 14.5" barrel version, making it truly a semi-auto M4.

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-02-10, 17:32
Not to muddy the waters any more than they are I believe that Colt only sells the "LE" models to distributors who have a LEO/GOV program. They in turn sell them through a third step or middleman distributor who then gets them in your local FFL dealers hands. This cutout allows them to get around this deal they made with the state. So technically in a strictly legal sense they are NOT selling "Assault" rifles to us civies.

Thats my understanding of how you see LE Only marked Colts in local stores. I could be wrong.

Zanshin
04-03-10, 09:02
you're not that confused.. that about sums it up. for COLT, the LE features are gonna be a threadable flash hider, bayo lug, and telescoping stock for the "assault rifle" designation.. STANDARD (commonly known as "m16") BCG, hpt/mpi barrels, and other TDP compliant specs, in addition. nowadays, they might have other non LE/Mil guns that have some of these, but those were the initial criteria. the specs were Colt calls, the lug/stock/threaded muzzle device were legal issues during the Ban.

Certainly the threading at the end of the barrel, the bayo lug, and the non-fixed stock (on the carbine models) are aspects of the LE line of guns that are excluded from the MT line of guns. Basically, AWB "features".

As far as the other TDP items, i'm not sure that that is true. I have read that older MT models had semi-auto BCGS, but never from someone who actually owned one. Every MT that I have seen (and the one I own) has an M16 BCG.

Every MT Colt that I have ever seen, including the HBAR barrelled 1/9 twist rifles, had "C MP 1/9" stamped on the barrel. The MT6400 models had "C MP 1/7" stamped on the barrel.

On the MT models that I have seen (not referring to earlier Sporter models), the rifles were identical to their LE counterparts except for the neutering.

EzGoingKev
04-03-10, 11:41
STANDARD (commonly known as "m16") BCG

Please be advised that this is not automatically the case.

The older Colts did not come with the M16 carrier as my 6920 came with the half circle carrier. I am not sure what year Colt started installing the M16 carriers as standard.

I am not trying to start and argument, I was just thinking that some people reading this thread are not as versed on the subject as some others and I just felt the added info might prevent confusion.