PDA

View Full Version : Another G17 or a G19?

uwe1
04-01-10, 22:27
I currently own a G17, G26, and M&P9 Pro. All are fine guns, but I find that I shoot best with the G17 and am more comfortable with the way that Glocks fit my hands in general. I am preparing to get another Glock, but have a bit of a dilemma. My original plan was to get a second G17 so I would have two of the same guns as backups, but it seems that there is a lot of love for the G19 on this site for all the obvious reasons. My questions is, if it were you, in this same situation, which would you choose and what would your reasoning be? Thanks for the input guys.

Business_Casual
04-01-10, 22:50
I would spend the money on a class with a tier 1 trainer to find out if I don't know what I don't know.

Then I would evaluate why I can't make do with the three handguns I already own.

B_C

Irish
04-01-10, 22:59
I would spend the money on a class with a tier 1 trainer to find out if I don't know what I don't know.

Then I would evaluate why I can't make do with the three handguns I already own.

B_C

Business as usual.

Don Glock
04-01-10, 23:06
i would never buy 2 of the same gun. i like to diversify. that's just me though. a lot of folks have several of the same model glock.

i have a glock 19 and love it. :)

wes007
04-01-10, 23:15
i would never buy 2 of the same gun. i like to diversify. that's just me though. a lot of folks have several of the same model glock.

I do too but given the fact that he's using this as a defensive firearm it would be much more practical to have 2 of the same rather than 2 different firearms.

uwe1
04-01-10, 23:27

B_C

EAG Pistol 2 class (I am assuming that Pat is a Tier 1 trainer?) was completed in Casa Grande, AZ 2 weeks ago. It was there that I found out that I shoot better and more naturally with the G17 as I was having more trouble getting a comfortable grip with the M&P9. I didn't shoot the G26 in that class.

The G17 is a bit too large for CCW for me, but it is possible. The G26 is perfect for CCW, but it is a subcompact and some have expressed a few concerns about the disadavantages of a subcompact (muzzle velocity, round capacity, grip). Many have posted about the G19 being the perfect compromise between the two and I am leaning towards getting one to test that observation out.

I appreciate your attempt at using the Socratic method, but all that was required to answer this question was just a simple A or B answer with a brief explanation.;)

Heavy Metal
04-01-10, 23:36

Two is one, one is none.

Don Glock
04-01-10, 23:58
I do too but given the fact that he's using this as a defensive firearm it would be much more practical to have 2 of the same rather than 2 different firearms.

mag releases are basically in the same spot on all my pistols, plus i always slingshot to chamber a round. so using different pistols doesn't make a practical difference to me :)

besides, controls are in the exact same place on the glock 17/19's.

uwe1
04-01-10, 23:58
Two is one, one is none.

Sir, am I correct in assuming that you believe I should get two G17s?:p

This is why I am having a moment of indecision. Go with a known firearm that I know I like and wouldn't mind owning more of, or getting the G19 which does offer some advantages over a G17 for CCW....

DocGKR
04-02-10, 00:54
One is none, two is one is RIGHT ON!

It is far smarter to standardize on one pistol type and have a couple of identical weapons that you thoroughly know how to use, maintain, and have extensive training on than to be a dilettante with a safe full of unique idiosyncratic weapons that are never fully used to their potential. Any serious user of firearms will have a MINIMUM of two identical weapons of the same exact type--one for duty/carry use, another identical one for training, and perhaps an additional one or two for back-up and/or placement in a call-out/bug-out bag.

It is also FAR wiser to use resources to seek superb top-level training than to continue to purchase gear that may not offer any benefit in the long run...

l3mon
04-02-10, 00:58
well if i were you...

i'd go get a 23 then a 9mm conversion barrel, so you have more options when it comes to ammo in cause of a shtf situation.

skyugo
04-02-10, 01:04

It is far smarter to standardize on one pistol type and have a couple of identical weapons that you thoroughly know how to use, maintain, and have extensive training on than to be a dilettante with a safe full of unique idiosyncratic weapons that are never fully used to their potential. Any serious user of firearms will have a MINIMUM of two identical weapons of the same exact type--one for duty/carry use, another identical one for training, and perhaps an additional one or two for back-up and/or placement in a call-out/bug-out bag.

It is also FAR wiser to use resources to seek superb top-level training than to continue to purchase gear that may not offer any benefit in the long run...

i'd go for training and ammo first definitely.
it could be argued that a G26 and a G17 carries many of the benefits of having 2 identical pistols. 80% parts compatibilit, same trigger, 17 mags fit the 26. that's what i tell myself about my 19 and 26.
if the OP is set on buying another gun, i'd go with another 17, as you already know it works for you. personally my 26 gets a lot more carry than my 19, so i in many ways i'd rather have a backup for it. if it goes down for any reason, it will seriously reduce the amount of CCW i can comfortably do.

HK45
04-02-10, 01:10
I currently own a G17, G26, and M&P9 Pro. All are fine guns, but I find that I shoot best with the G17 and am more comfortable with the way that Glocks fit my hands in general. I am preparing to get another Glock, but have a bit of a dilemma. My original plan was to get a second G17 so I would have two of the same guns as backups, but it seems that there is a lot of love for the G19 on this site for all the obvious reasons. My questions is, if it were you, in this same situation, which would you choose and what would your reasoning be? Thanks for the input guys.

You don't say what you want them for, i.e carry, home defense, gun games, etc. Regardless I would get another G 17 and consider dumping the M&P for commonalities sake. I personally find the G 26 far too small and the G 19 is just right with a grip extension but your mileage may vary.

wes007
04-02-10, 01:38

Very very well put.

DocGKR
04-02-10, 01:52
If you are going to run Glocks, then definitely sell the M&P.

There is significant commonality and cross training with all the 9 mm Glocks.

The G17 is probably the most reliable and durable pistol made by Glock; the G19 is probably the most versatile.

Since I have never found a situation where the G26 was easier to carry than a G19, I personally have gotten rid of all my G26's in favor of G19's. YMMV...

If I need a handgun in a pocket, on an ankle, or for other BUG type carry, I far prefer a lightweight J-frame than anything else...

Bottom line, I'd sell the M&P and purchase a G19. After some additional training I'd decide which pistol best met my needs, purchase an additional one of that type, and sell the ones I didn't need.

gtmtnbiker98
04-02-10, 08:57
I can't really add anything to what has already been said; however, I will say that I own two of my specific purpose firearms. I own two P30Ls for gaming and two P30s for carry.

M4arc
04-02-10, 09:42
Def. get another G17 or get a G19. They're so similar that you can share holsters and most spare parts, and the controls are all the same. I have two identical G19s just in case my carry 19 goes down hard I'll have a spare to get me through any repairs/warrenty work.

I also bring both to training classes in case one goes down I can grab the other and press on. I'd be bummed if I spent money and time to attend a class only to have it cut short because of an equipment failure and I wasn't prepared with either enough spare parts or another gun.

Therefore my priorities would be; spare gun, training.

Beat Trash
04-02-10, 09:45

The G17 is probably the most reliable and durable pistol made by Glock; the G19 is probably the most versatile.

Since I have never found a situation where the G26 was easier to carry than a G19, I personally have gotten rid of all my G26's in favor of G19's. YMMV...

If I need a handgun in a pocket, on an ankle, or for other BUG type carry, I far prefer a lightweight J-frame than anything else...

Bottom line, I'd sell the M&P and purchase a G19. After some additional training I'd decide which pistol bet met my needs, purchase an additional one of that type, and sell the ones I didn't need.

Well spoken Doc, as usual...

Pick a platform that suits your needs, then get the training and practice to use it proficiently.

For many it is the Glock 19, due to this guns versatility.

FlyAndFight
04-02-10, 10:23
Three is two, four is three... ;)

SWATcop556
04-02-10, 10:40
It seems I get more use out if my G26 than some.

If I was in your situation I would buy another G17 and sell the M&P for a G19. That's just me though. I would advocate selling the M&P for commonality, even though it's a solid weapon.

tpd223
04-02-10, 13:31

Bottom line, I'd sell the M&P and purchase a G19. After some additional training I'd decide which pistol best met my needs, purchase an additional one of that type, and sell the ones I didn't need.

Well played sir.

As for two of the same gun;

I use my guns, sometimes heavily. Guns that get used break, it happens. It's much more gooder to be able to stroll over to the safe and get it's twin than to have to repair a gun or send it off to be back in business.

Also...... a big also, if you carry you might be in a shooting, if you are in a shooting you won't have the use of that gun for God knows how long, even in the most righteous of shootings.
Best to have plan B.

Were it me, I'd swap the M&P for a Glock 17 and then buy the 19 as well, or get the G19, shoot the heck out of both the 17 and 19 and then decide which to get a second one of from there (I need a G17 for uniform patrol, and carry a G19 off-duty, so "both" is my personal answer).

I never thought I needed a G19, until I started to carry one.......

uwe1
04-02-10, 13:41
It seems I get more use out if my G26 than some.

If I was in your situation I would buy another G17 and sell the M&P for a G19. That's just me though. I would advocate selling the M&P for commonality, even though it's a solid weapon.

I get a lot of use out of the 26 also. It is my main CCW because of concealability, but I shoot better with the 17 because of grip size, and because I need to work on the fundamentals.

I think I am probably going to end up with both a 17 and a 19. Selling the MP is a no go as my wife shoots with it also.

DocGKR gave some good advice (thanks) to buy a 19, take another class, then decide.

c0b2a
04-02-10, 14:00
Honestly.. sell the M&P, combine it with the money you have for a firearm right now, and go to a tier 1 class i.e. Tigerswan 3 day pistol.

kjdoski
04-02-10, 14:10
I'd say go for the G19 as well. I simply can't think of a better pistol for serious defensive carry on the market today. Sure, it has its warts, but nothing that a modicum of training won't overcome.

The only reason I carry the G23/G27 combination is because of the HORRIBLE 9mm ammunition I'm required to carry by agency policy if I opt for the 9mm. Otherwise it would be a G19/G26 combination for daily carry.

Regards,

Kevin

DocGKR
04-02-10, 14:31
"I never thought I needed a G19, until I started to carry one......."

So true!!!

sff70
04-02-10, 14:36
G19 is probably the best do-it-all defense pistol out there and it can be run very well.

If you standardize your pistol, you can standardize mags, spare parts, holsters, etc.

JHC
04-02-10, 15:43
A battery of arms with some standardization is preferred to every color of the rainbow in my opinion. After you have a defensive battery built, then diversify to tastes and budget.
I've two G17s, three G19s. I found I had no use for a G34 and a 17L and they are gone.

I've one M&P, a Pro 9 and no way could I suggest selling that dolly. Get a RTF G19 is my vote.

Rider79
04-02-10, 16:22

B_C

Yeah, he figured that out just fine while he was on the firing line in the EAG class next to me. You know, sometimes responses like that just aren't necessary.

If the M&P isn't working for you as well as the Glock, which you found out in class, then I would move it for another Glock. For your size I think the 19 would be perfect for CCW. The only reason I have a 26 is for pocket carry, with my size I can CCW a 17 just fine, which is what I CCW if I'm not wearing sweats. Having a 2nd fullsize Glock for training is a good idea as well, if you have any issues in class you can just pick up the 2nd gun. I think the 19 would work fine for that too.