PDA

View Full Version : Colt System and Hollowpoints???

John Hearne
04-27-07, 09:19
Yesterday, I had my RRA upper and Hahn mag block running side by side with a Colt SMG. I tried three different rounds through the guns, including Winchester's Ranger 147gr JHP (RA9T). At first, I thought the RRA wasn't feeding properly but the Colt didn't like the hollowpoints either. In both cases, the hollowpoints seemed to stop on their way to the chamber. They seemed to make it across the magazine block and then hang on the way to the chamber. The guns seemed to run fine on FMJ ammo. Is this typical performance? My gun is a training gun and will only get FMJ but I was curious.

Max Collins
04-27-07, 10:51
I don't have much experience with the Colt system, but I have fed my Olympic Glock lower 9mm carbine a diet of about 75% hollowpoints, and the thing has never once choked, although the bolt won't lock back 100% on NFML Glock mags.

Sorry this wasn't much help.

John Fettes
06-13-07, 22:27
I have a pre-ban Colt semi-auto carbine. I have run 147 grain Gold Dots in my gun with generally good results. I have one magazine that struggles with them. It runs like a champ with FMJ.

John

Dport
06-13-07, 22:31
I have a pre-ban Colt and never had a problem with hollowpoints. I've used Corbons 115grain and Winchesters, 127 and 147 grain mostly.

mgfan58
06-13-07, 22:50
I have a Colt RO635 and it chokes on almost any Hollow points I've ever tried. I have hadd some luck with 147's but that's it. 115's will not work. I have 7 Factory Colt mags and none of them work reliably. 1 with the plastic follower and 6 with the old metal followers. Do you think it could be related to the mag block location? This is a Factory SMG and has not been messed with at all. I also have a TROS 5" barreled upper and it acts the same way.

The bullets always seem to jam as it's feeding into the barrel like the edge of the hollow point is dragging too low.

mgfan58