PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sig 239 a good gun?

timbo813
04-02-10, 09:00
My brother in law found a guy who will sell him a new in box Sig 239 40 cal for $450. I haven't seen that gun discussed much on here before. What do you guys know about them? I know that's a very good deal but would it be a good gun for concealed carry? Thanks

tr1kstanc3
04-02-10, 09:25
It's a good carry weapon if you can deal with lower capacity and heavier weight. What type of trigger action is this model? That would be my deciding factor as I prefer the DA/SA on a Sig.

JPP
04-02-10, 10:02
It's a good carry weapon if you can deal with lower capacity and heavier weight. What type of trigger action is this model? That would be my deciding factor as I prefer the DA/SA on a Sig.

+1 on this comment!
My P239 is Very reliable and a tack driver, but just a bit heavy.
Very solid gun for sure.

JP

kmrtnsn
04-02-10, 10:11
I carried one for several years when it was our only authorized off-duty carry gun. It had the best trigger of any SIG that I ever shot. I was never ably to find a pair of grips for it that I liked; it was just never a good fit in my hand. Too bad SIG never made a double stack magazine version, a short double stack and the ability to take P229 mags would have been sweet. $450.00 is a nice price, if he doesn't buy it, you should.

ST911
04-02-10, 14:53
I like the P239 very much, in 9mm. Very popular with ladies, IBOs, and youth, too.

Dragon Slayer
04-02-10, 15:03
Sig makes a quality weapon and the 239 is a great gun, BUT if I was going to spend $450.00 I would spend it on a Glock 26/27, because it weighs less, higher capacity, cheaper mags, cheaper parts, Etc make it a better gun, but if i had to carry the Sig i would with out any hesitation at all.

kjdoski
04-02-10, 15:56
I've owned several P239s in 9mm, and was issued, for a short while, a P239 DAK in .40. While my issued P239 DAK was reliable and accurate, we've had a SIGNIFICANT number of problems in the field with reliability on this particular model. In fact, several of the people who were at our "train the trainer" course for FIs before the agency-wide conversion to the new pistols had P239s with reliability issues that couldn't be DIAGNOSED, let alone resolved, by the Sigarms reps presenting the training.

For me, the P239 is only marginally smaller than the G19/23, which offer dramatic improvements in weight and capacity. The Sig is a well-built, quality pistol, but, I'm with Dragon Slayer that I'd spend that money on a new Glock (and have change left over for ammunition!)

Regards,

Kevin

Bulldog7972
04-02-10, 16:01
The 239 is probably one of the best guns for ccw available. It holds 8+1, more than enough for anyone looking for a pistol for self defense. Toss an extra mag in your pocket and your better than good to go. Don't let those that say the 239 weighs too much discourage you. That extra weight helps manage the recoil. If that gun were available to me I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Dragon Slayer
04-02-10, 16:05
I've owned several P239s in 9mm, and was issued, for a short while, a P239 DAK in .40. While my issued P239 DAK was reliable and accurate, we've had a SIGNIFICANT number of problems in the field with reliability on this particular model. In fact, several of the people who were at our "train the trainer" course for FIs before the agency-wide conversion to the new pistols had P239s with reliability issues that couldn't be DIAGNOSED, let alone resolved, by the Sigarms reps presenting the training.

For me, the P239 is only marginally smaller than the G19/23, which offer dramatic improvements in weight and capacity. The Sig is a well-built, quality pistol, but, I'm with Dragon Slayer that I'd spend that money on a new Glock (and have change left over for ammunition!)

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for the information, i used to own a Sig 239 in 40 caliber before the Glocks came out and never had any problems with it, but live and learn as they say.;)

Dragon Slayer
04-02-10, 16:11
The 239 is probably one of the best guns for ccw available. It holds 8+1, more than enough for anyone looking for a pistol for self defense. Toss an extra mag in your pocket and your better than good to go. Don't let those that say the 239 weighs too much discourage you. That extra weight helps manage the recoil. If that gun were available to me I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I think the OP is talking about a 40 caliber, in 40 it is only 7+1 and it is heavy, a Glock 27 with a +2 mag is 11+1, weighs less and is more compact also you can add a LWD after market conversion barrel in 9mm and a couple mags in 9mm and presto you have two guns in one,(with a 357 Sig barrel 3 guns in one).

Maybe he should sell you the Sig 239 after he buys it and with the money buy a Glock 27 + some ammo.;)

Pi3
04-02-10, 17:08
It's not that much smaller & lighter than the 229.

kaltblitz
04-03-10, 01:01
Yes, it's a good gun and that's a great price.

I personaly prefer the 229 though.

Rinspeed
04-03-10, 09:46
The 239 is a great little gun and I'm glad they don't hold any more rounds.

LDM
04-03-10, 10:09
The 239 is solid, but heavy and single stack.
I owned one a short while and liked it, but...
My H&K 2000 is lighter, carries more rounds, and is for all practical purposes the same size. Although I am not as familiar with the Glock 19, I believe the same can be said for this weapon in comparison.
The ergonomics really tip the scale against the 239 in comparison. The frontstrap of the 239 is flat and straight. That was problematic for me, but YMMV. I went to the Hogue wraparound grip with finger grooves, but this added considerable bulk.
So I ended up with a weapon that was heavier (and depending on grip, bulkier) to carry and with less capacity than available alternatives.
Ended up trading it after less than a year and as seems to be the case with all my trades, took a beating money wise.
Truthfully, I think it is an older design that although still very serviceable, has been surpassed by competitors.

John_Wayne777
04-03-10, 12:05
I have one in 9mm that I carried for a while and that now is a relative's daily carry piece. It's a good pistol. It's been reliable and it's tolerated abusively infrequent maintenance from my relative without complaint. Carried way more than it is shot, though...

oddballmkg
04-03-10, 13:25
I’ve got a couple of P239 in 9mm and one in .40 S&W. I have not shot the .40 S&W very much maybe 800 rounds or so. My oldest P239, I’ve got about 40,000 rounds though it. The only thing that I’ve broken has been the firing pin position pin which broke while dry firing the gun. The P239 is my person favorite to shot of all my Sig pistols it’s really easy to shot and I can hold groups tighter than with my other Sig pistols. I also prefer the Hogue Extreme G10 checked grips over the factory pebble style grips.

palmbeach31
04-12-10, 19:21
I would love to carry it but it seems too heavy for everyday carry to me. I wish Sig would make something to compete with the Kahr PM9 size and weight.

Pi3
04-13-10, 21:11
I would love to carry it but it seems too heavy for everyday carry to me. I wish Sig would make something to compete with the Kahr PM9 size and weight.

exactly. or glock or s&w. a glock 26 as thin as the Kahr would be a good trick.

scottryan
04-13-10, 21:16
The grip of the 239 is small for its size and the grip is also smaller than a G19 or P2000 which makes it easier to conceal, and this is why I prefer it over the G19 or P2000 for CCW when wearing light clothes.

jasonhgross
04-14-10, 08:08
1. Rule; if it was designed in 9mm, get it in 9mm. The 239 was designed for 9mm.

2. As mentioned, the glock 19 or 26 offers more capacity, lighter weight, consistent trigger pull (not DA/SA) and is easier to repair.

3. I had a 239, it was not reliable with all ammunition, especially european stuff with harder primers. The glock shot that ammo just fine.

Bulldog7972
04-14-10, 08:08

I carry a 239 everyday and love it. That extra weight that you mentioned, IMHO makes a little gun feel like a big gun when it's time to shoot. I carry my 239 in an AIWB holster from Custom Carry Concepts and don't even notice it that I have a gun.

signal4l
04-16-10, 13:41
I carried one for a few years and recently switched to a P228.

The P239 is a a bit to heavy for its size. I found it more difficult to change mags the P239. The 228 isnt any more difficult to carry in my experience.

awm14hp
04-16-10, 14:44
it is heavy and as other have said not that much smaller or thinner than 228 on the other hand the 3rd gen 3913 is good stuff thats what I carry if I dont want a bigger GL

kaltblitz
04-16-10, 15:12
1. Rule; if it was designed in 9mm, get it in 9mm. The 239 was designed for 9mm.

It actually was designed for 9/40/357 Sig

The 225 with its stamped steel slide was a 9mm only design. The 239, as with the 229, was a gun designed from the ground up with a stainless steel one piece slide to work with the higher pressure 40 S&W and 357 Sig rounds.

Bulldog7972
04-17-10, 08:01
I like the 239 so much that I went to the gunstore yesterday and bought another one. This time in 40 S&W. Anybody know what is the best round to carry in this caliber as far as weight?

awm14hp
04-17-10, 08:36
I like the 239 so much that I went to the gunstore yesterday and bought another one. This time in 40 S&W. Anybody know what is the best round to carry in this caliber as far as weight?

I would start here now its more about what you can find over what you should carry if you dont have it stockpilled already. I like the 180 HST Gold Dot or Ranger T loads but thats me

brushy bill
04-17-10, 12:53
Owned a 239 in .357. After less than 200 rounds, it rattled like a coffee can full of gravel. Sent it back to SIG and it still rattled when it came back. Didn't impact reliability or accuracy, but I couldn't abide the rattle. Finally traded it on an MP9. Apparently some rattle and some don't. Just something to be aware of and it might not bother you.

RSix
04-17-10, 17:11
I use a 229 and it's not much bigger than the 239. I'd say it's just personal perference. Also, I use Speer Gold Dot for my carry ammo.