PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a Matched Set of Uppers and Lowers. And the winner is?

DDKJR1814
04-27-07, 10:20
So here it is kids that time where you make the commitment of what will be the meat and potatoes of a new AR.

I'm doing it right this time, sparing no expense. :) So I turn too you and ask the question.

What is the best place to get a matched set of uppers and lowers for my new build. This is going to be a work gun, its going to the office with me and I want it to me trust worthy.

As always thanks for the help.

LOKNLOD
04-27-07, 11:05
So here it is kids that time where you make the commitment of what will be the meat and potatoes of a new AR.

I'm doing it right this time, sparing no expense. :) So I turn too you and ask the question.

What is the best place to get a matched set of uppers and lowers for my new build. This is going to be a work gun, its going to the office with me and I want it to me trust worthy.

As always thanks for the help.

I believe it is Rainier Arms that sometimes has matched Mega upper-lower sets. I would check with them, although I'd bet the lowers are out of stock.

Grant @ G&R has Sabre lowers and uppers, I don't know how "matched" they can be though.

Turbo Supra
04-27-07, 15:46
I bought 2 sets of these bad boys:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/81519/0/MEGA.jpg

I think Rainier is sold out of them again, though. I know that Les Baer sells matched AR uppers and lowers. Might want to try them...

DDKJR1814
04-27-07, 17:35
Have you used those Mega's before? Are they quality?

I think I'm going to have Grant at G&R get me whatever the best he has in stock.

M4arc
04-27-07, 17:53
Get one of the new Sun Devil lowers with the tensioning screw then you can match just about any upper receiver to it!

kilo.juliet
04-30-07, 17:09

I think I'm going to have Grant at G&R get me whatever the best he has in stock.

MEGA sets are really very good and are worth the money and then some. Quality is there for sure. In the end you will need to pick all the other parts and build them correctly if you want something worth while.

Too many builders use great parts but don't take the time to do a proper build and screw it all up. Then start to blame the parts. Some even get great uppers and lowers and then stick cheap parts on them and wonder why nothing works.

The Les Baer sets are very good too. They are expensive though. They also have a very tight fit and may not be easy to push the take down pins through, if this matters to you.

Have fun and good luck to you!

C4IGrant
04-30-07, 17:27
I have to be honest, I really don't see the need for matched uppers and lowers (think it is marketing hype). Play between uppers and lowers matters not.

If you REALLY want to use the best components for a precision build, stick with a billet upper and lower (like the LT Stealth or VLTOR MUR).

C4

ARinNC
04-30-07, 18:41

Good luck with that.:)

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:37
I bought 2 sets of these bad boys:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/81519/0/MEGA.jpg

I think Rainier is sold out of them again, though. I know that Les Baer sells matched AR uppers and lowers. Might want to try them...

Matched huh? The mag well release matches up very well with the upper...

My VIS-1 matches up at least as good with my Noveske and they were tight as hell together.

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:38
Matched huh? The mag well release matches up very well with the upper...

My VIS-1 matches up at least as good with my Noveske and they were tight as hell together.

ETA: point being, just buy good parts. At least if they aren't perfectly lined up you got good parts not pretty parts.

kilo.juliet
05-01-07, 12:41
I have to be honest, I really don't see the need for matched uppers and lowers (think it is marketing hype). Play between uppers and lowers matters not.

If you REALLY want to use the best components for a precision build, stick with a billet upper and lower (like the LT Stealth or VLTOR MUR).

C4

The idea for a matched set is mostly cosmetic in nature.

1. Most lines match up
2. Color is even/same
3. Little or no play between upper/lower
4. Same brand

Means nothing to some and everything to many.

Cheers!

C4IGrant
05-01-07, 12:45

1. Most lines match up
2. Color is even/same
4. Same brand

Means nothing to some and everything to many.

Cheers!

Understand, but my issue with it is that Mega charges extra for this. Any good dealer would do this for a customer for FREE. ;)

C4

kilo.juliet
05-01-07, 13:50
Understand, but my issue with it is that Mega charges extra for this. Any good dealer would do this for a customer for FREE. ;)

C4

I wouldn't know about that. I got mine from a dealer in WA and it did not have an up-charge for this service. I purchased my set for a really good price and am greatful for it. :D

Cheers all!

C4IGrant
05-01-07, 15:26
I wouldn't know about that. I got mine from a dealer in WA and it did not have an up-charge for this service. I purchased my set for a really good price and am greatful for it. :D

Cheers all!

Well according to my Mega dealer price sheet, they charge AT LEAST $25 for matching an upper and a lower (dealer price, not retail price). :rolleyes:

C4

kilo.juliet
05-01-07, 17:10
Well according to my Mega dealer price sheet, they charge AT LEAST $25 for matching an upper and a lower (dealer price, not retail price). :rolleyes:

C4

Hahaha! You know C4IGrant, his idea of a matched set was maybe put a few uppers and lowers together and see which ones "matched" the best!!

MEGA's are of good quality, if not great. All I know is that the upper of the matched set doesn't match the other lower I had purchased together in the sale. Not even if you held them up to a mirror! ;)

All of the pieces were color identical and the lowers were seven numbers apart in the S/N. Go figure.

Razorhunter
05-01-07, 20:40
I'm sure many disagree, but $25 extra to get a matched set is money well spent in my book. I only WISH I would have had this choice with other brands...

Turbo Supra
05-01-07, 23:40
Matched huh? The mag well release matches up very well with the upperMy Mega set is not "matched" as in "hand-picked". I thought the thread poster was referring to the brand/finish of the two components. I would never spend an extra $25 for a matched set. The unmatched ones already exceed my needs.

Turbo Supra
05-01-07, 23:50

If you REALLY want to use the best components for a precision build, stick with a billet upper and lower (like the LT Stealth or VLTOR MUR)I would love to know why. I have handled a few billet lowers and uppers. Obviously, the fit and finish is top-notch. However, if receiver play "matters not", what advantage does the expensive billet set offer over a good forged set?

1. Most lines match up
2. Color is even/same
4. Same brandThe upper and lower I pictured above were ordered from John at Rainier Arms. They were not a "matched" set. In fact, the upper was shipped to me on a separate order from the lower. All 4 of your criteria were met, and no extra money was spent. While the mag well release lines up fairly evenly, it lines up even more closely now that the set has been assembled with a parts kit. Excellent fit and finish for the money...

kilo.juliet
05-02-07, 02:11
I would love to know why. I have handled a few billet lowers and uppers. Obviously, the fit and finish is top-notch. However, if receiver play "matters not", what advantage does the expensive billet set offer over a good forged set?

The upper and lower I pictured above were ordered from John at Rainier Arms. They were not a "matched" set. In fact, the upper was shipped to me on a separate order from the lower. All 4 of your criteria were met, and no extra money was spent. While the mag well release lines up fairly evenly, it lines up even more closely now that the set has been assembled with a parts kit. Excellent fit and finish for the money...

Hey Turbo, thanks for posting your pic of your MEGA's. I'm glad your project is turning out for you.

I don't know how experienced you are with all the different brands of uppers/lowers, but I can tell you that some brands are rather mis-matched in every way. They also produce a very loose fit that most precision/match shooters do not like, even if you tell them it doesn't matter. Because it matters to them, a lot. The matched set gives them an edge and security knowing that all has been done to eliminate a possible weak point.

As far as a billet set goes, the theory is that they are made to a tighter tolerance than the forged set. Many good quality forged uppers when placed on a true, flat surface and then straight edged will show some minor to major "warpage" either in the threaded section at the barrel slip or on the flat-top portion of the upper. Needless to say, your barrel will not be pointing as straight as it could be or your sights will be off. This could also cause the BCG to bind and induce feeding problems.

Of course, a billet is only as good as the CNC machine, programer, and machine operator make it. La Rue Tactical stakes his reputation on it. If a forged part is made perfect or to the same tolerance as a billet part, there is no difference as to which is better as far as accuracy goes.

Furthermore, and more important, most forged uppers and lowers were never made to be ultra- precise, they were made more in the realm of Mil-Spec. The billets of today are made especially for precision applications with more controll and tighter tolerances.

C4IGrant
05-02-07, 08:15
I'm sure many disagree, but $25 extra to get a matched set is money well spent in my book. I only WISH I would have had this choice with other brands...

$25 was on the low end. It might go as high as $45! If you want thing to line up and colors to match, as the dealer to try and do it with your choices of uppers and lowers. I am sure they would try and help you out if they can.

C4

C4IGrant
05-02-07, 08:17
I would love to know why. I have handled a few billet lowers and uppers. Obviously, the fit and finish is top-notch. However, if receiver play "matters not", what advantage does the expensive billet set offer over a good forged set?

The upper and lower I pictured above were ordered from John at Rainier Arms. They were not a "matched" set. In fact, the upper was shipped to me on a separate order from the lower. All 4 of your criteria were met, and no extra money was spent. While the mag well release lines up fairly evenly, it lines up even more closely now that the set has been assembled with a parts kit. Excellent fit and finish for the money...

Two words for you....Square and True! This is what is MOST important in an upper receiver. Billet lowers are just nice to look at IMHO.

C4

Turbo Supra
05-02-07, 10:50
Two words for you....Square and True! This is what is MOST important in an upper receiver. Billet lowers are just nice to look at IMHO.Oh, I definitely agree. Billet receivers are gorgeous! I was just wondering if there was any performance advantage over a good forged set. All my ARs are your run-of-the-mill CQB mall ninja specials. ;) I have never built a precision long-range AR (working on an 18" 6.8SPC soon), so my forged receivers have worked well for me.

C4IGrant
05-02-07, 11:13
Oh, I definitely agree. Billet receivers are gorgeous! I was just wondering if there was any performance advantage over a good forged set. All my ARs are your run-of-the-mill CQB mall ninja specials. ;) I have never built a precision long-range AR (working on an 18" 6.8SPC soon), so my forged receivers have worked well for me.

I cannot think of anything that a forging would give you over a billet.

C4

kilo.juliet
05-02-07, 11:54
Hey Turbo, thanks for posting your pic of your MEGA's. I'm glad your project is turning out for you.

I don't know how experienced you are with all the different brands of uppers/lowers, but I can tell you that some brands are rather mis-matched in every way. They also produce a very loose fit that most precision/match shooters do not like, even if you tell them it doesn't matter. Because it matters to them, a lot. The matched set gives them an edge and security knowing that all has been done to eliminate a possible weak point.

As far as a billet set goes, the theory is that they are made to a tighter tolerance than the forged set. Many good quality forged uppers when placed on a true, flat surface and then straight edged will show some minor to major "warpage" either in the threaded section at the barrel slip or on the flat-top portion of the upper. Needless to say, your barrel will not be pointing as straight as it could be or your sights will be off. This could also cause the BCG to bind and induce feeding problems.

Of course, a billet is only as good as the CNC machine, programer, and machine operator make it. La Rue Tactical stakes his reputation on it. If a forged part is made perfect or to the same tolerance as a billet part, there is no difference as to which is better as far as accuracy goes.

Furthermore, and more important, most forged uppers and lowers were never made to be ultra-precise, they were made more in the realm of Mil-Spec. The billets of today are made especially for precision applications with more controll and tighter tolerances.

All you need to know is right here and is as basic as can be.

Billets will do nothing for you in CQB roles but will help you for long-range precision work.

Turbo Supra
05-02-07, 12:05
:cool: Thanks, guys!