PDA

View Full Version : Precision rifle folding stocks

Dirk Williams
04-02-10, 11:44
Looking at a new stock, wondering about these folding stocks being produced by some of the better stock makers.

I can see the benifit of moving to and from the objective with a folding stock rifle, but I can't grasp the folding stock/precision rifle match up.

Just a thought but it seems obvious that a folding stock will have slight movement or flex. Over a period of time or open/close application the flex in the hinge will grow.

That would seem to defeat the purpose of a precision rifle platform, and a good solid/stiff stock.

Am I viewing this application wrong?.

Anybody using these folding stocks care to share their experience and what you have learned.

Im looking to upgrade my H&S .308, which im content with to an ACIS stock.

D Williams

usaffarmer
04-02-10, 22:29
I have a R700P in a AICS 2.0 and have had no issues with the folding part of the stock moving, becoming loose overtime or anything. Its nice to have because of the barrel lenght of the 700P which is 26 inches, having the stock folded make the rifle the size of a 16in barrel M4. Its a very nice system.

Dirk Williams
04-03-10, 12:12
Thanks for the reply. My 1.5 arrived yesterday from MileHighShooter. Not sure if this is a good set up for me. I was sad to see that the skins?are plastic and their is a ridge the entire length of the rifle where the two skins meet up. I was also sad to see that the recoil pad spacers are plastic, not rubber.

I then discovered I have to have some mill work done to open up the lug slot as I have a 3/8ths width lug and this ACIS is set up for a stock 700 lug. I may send it back and get the folder for the extra 100.00.

Im also wondering if the bolt throw is going to fit the bolt slot as I have an after market extra long bolt throw handle.

I may send it back and get another Manners T4- Terry Cross set up.

I guess I should have known better. My initial evaluation of this stock is not what I expected after reading all I could on the ACIS stock.

On Department letter head this thing was 900.00 with a couple of 5 and 10 round mags, now I have to spend another 200.00 to make it fit and funtion to exceptable standards.

Got an advanced sniper school to attend in about three weeks,need to shoot at least 300 rounds thru the new platform to understand its funtion and quirks.

usaffarmer did your 2.0 have the skin ridges and any other problems I might need to address.

Thank you for responding.
D Williams

Dirk Williams
04-08-10, 12:08
I got my 1.5/700 together earlier this week and have discovered that IM wrong in my initial evaluation of this stock. After getting the stock length correct and eye relief correct this stock is fantastic.

Milling the lug was a bitch had to go forward 75 thou, and ended up trimming the lug itself so I wouldn't have to drill deeper into the chasis, im only talking a few thou.

There are things Im still not sure about, Ill take the next year to sort those issues out.

The skins ridge drives me crazy I don't shoot with gloves and I find myself focused and noting the ridge line on the front of the trigger housing while settling in for a shot. Ill just have to work around that.

Anyway I can see a 2.0 ACIS for my next 338 LM build next October.

D Williams