PDA

View Full Version : Melonited Stainless Barrel?

JFPATCH
04-27-07, 12:37
In the barrels 101 thread, Mr. Davis mentions that various platings and treatments, including melonite, have been applied to stainless and chrome-moly.

Has anyone here tested a melonited 416 stainless barrel?

Any thoughts about how it may affect the barrel, good or bad?

Thanks.

C4IGrant
04-30-07, 16:10
In the barrels 101 thread, Mr. Davis mentions that various platings and treatments, including melonite, have been applied to stainless and chrome-moly.

Has anyone here tested a melonited 416 stainless barrel?

Any thoughts about how it may affect the barrel, good or bad?

Thanks.

No, but I like the idea of it and was just thinking about having it done the other day.

C4

JFPATCH
05-01-07, 14:51
Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking, a surface treatment, not affecting dimensions and increases surface hardness, that there may be some merit to treating a stainless AR barrel.

Based on the response to my inquiries so far, there is little experience in this particular application.

I'd like to have a better understanding of the good and bad before committing to having a barrel treated... costs involved being what they are.

C4IGrant
05-01-07, 16:08
Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking, a surface treatment, not affecting dimensions and increases surface hardness, that there may be some merit to treating a stainless AR barrel.

Based on the response to my inquiries so far, there is little experience in this particular application.

I'd like to have a better understanding of the good and bad before committing to having a barrel treated... costs involved being what they are.

I actually spoke to someone about this treatment and they gave me some contact info. I will give the company a call tomorrow and check on prices.

C4

C4IGrant
05-03-07, 13:16
My limited awarness of melonite uses in weapons leads me to beleive there are two basic treatments, a standard and a QP.. something. One basically smoother than the other. The rougher one however seems more suitable to lubricated parts as it retains the lube longer and maintains a lower friction coefficient.

Grant, if you sort out a vendor I'm thinking about getting an MRP 18" SS barrel melonited. And, a few bolt groups.

I am looking into it as we speak!

C4

mtdawg169
05-04-07, 12:54
Is this process the same thing that Denny from GTS will be offering as posted on TOS "new products" forum?

C4IGrant
05-04-07, 13:34
Is this process the same thing that Denny from GTS will be offering as posted on TOS "new products" forum?

No idea, but am willing to bet it is the same.

C4

shark31
05-04-07, 13:46
No, the process Denny uses does not plate the bore and is done in a vacuum.

IIRC, the melonite is done by dipping the barrel in the solution. I would go with the melonite as I think it would help with throat erosion in SS barrels.

Aud_VDW
05-04-07, 19:56
I think meloniting a SS barrel is a fantastic idea.

Thats all I want to say. :D

Aud_VDW
05-04-07, 20:11
Denny's process...just a guess, is a diamond like coating. That’s what comes into my mind at least.

Our question is.....Will melontie or DLC, stave off throat erosion?

-A while back I asked Stickman about melonited barrels. IIRC he said he had one, and that it has been holding up for years and years (but "holding up" is subjective)

What we'd really like to know is if melonite or DLC coating would help increase a match-grade barrel's life in 600+ meter target shooting.

AND

If the melontied barrel outlasts a chrome lined barrel.

Testing will show us 2 things.

1-If treated ss barrels (melonite or DLC) outlast and offer superior corrosion resistance, and less throat erosion to a chrome lined barrel

2-If the Treated SS barrel outlasts (in terms of long range accuracy) the untreated SS barrel.

Stickman
05-04-07, 22:56
-A while back I asked Stickman about melonited barrels. IIRC he said he had one, and that it has been holding up for years and years (but "holding up" is subjective)

Yes, it is highly subjective, especially when I don't shoot for measured accuracy. Mine has been treated like a rented mule, mainly with heavy CQC drills, and it still looks like it did the day it founds its way to me. I should probably run it over to the base to check and gauge it one of these days, but its not real high on my priority list. I ran it for awhile as a duty barrel, and would use it again without hesitation if I had to turn in my current ones for an OIS.

JFPATCH
05-15-07, 10:18
Would a stainless barrel have to be broken in before being treated?

Any thoughts?

JFPATCH
05-29-08, 15:06
Stickman,
Did you ever check and gauge that melonited barrel?

Grant,
Have you looked into having a stainless barrel treated?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jim

C4IGrant
05-29-08, 15:09
Stickman,
Did you ever check and gauge that melonited barrel?

Grant,
Have you looked into having a stainless barrel treated?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jim

Am doing some testing as we speak with a SS barrel and meloniting.

C4

Tspeis
05-29-08, 15:57
Disregard.

Tspeis

JFPATCH
05-29-08, 20:14
Grant,

Thanks.

Dave L.
06-28-08, 15:08
Any updates on this?