PDA

View Full Version : Heinie vs Warren Tactical sights

vicious_cb
04-02-10, 17:20
If anyone has experience with both please chime in on what you prefer and why. Currently looking for sights for an M&P, might go 2-dot might not. Supposedly the heinie sights have a smaller rear sight notch that makes it slower to get lined up.

operator81
04-02-10, 17:57
I have both Heinie Straight-8 ledge sights and Warren Tactical 2-dot sights on my Glocks. In the dark they both look the same except the Warrens have a yellow rear with green front. In the light the Warrens are easier as the front sight has a large white outline around the dot. However, I do appreciate the serrations on the front and rear sights of the Heinies. The Warrens are a bit cheaper and shipped right away. The Heinies cost about $15 more and took 3 weeks to arrive as they were out of stock at the time.

The rear sight notch on my Heinies is the same width as my Warrens, the front blade on my Heinies is a teeny bit thinner. I don't have a real preference for one over the other.

SWATcop556
04-02-10, 18:17
I prefer the Warrens. I use the plain black rear with the green tritium front. The Heinie sights are not bad either I just didn't see any reason to switch.

SeaSoldier
04-02-10, 19:17
I don't favor one over the other. However I do prefer one or the other. These are the only sights use on my G19's and M&P9's. The 3 dot sights are to busy for my 50yr old eyes. I also prefer the wider rear sight notch's available from either maker.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-02-10, 19:22
I have them both. I prefer the U notch on the Warren rear sight. I have the Qwick sights on my HK45C and to me the Heinies appear to be higher quality. I wish I could have the Heinie front with a white ring, serrated in combination with the Warren rear without the rear dot. All done in Heinie quality.

ranburr
04-02-10, 22:06
I have used both and I prefer the Heinie "Ledge" (.140).

VooDoo6Actual
04-03-10, 10:19
Have both prefer Warren.

imo, intuitively and instinctly creates an natural apex for sight picture while allowing for better background vision/target-threat assessemnt.

DocGKR
04-03-10, 12:31
The Warren's are working quite well for me...

JonInWA
04-03-10, 12:54
I'm quite satisfied with the Warren's I chose for my G34-the black-on-black Tacticals, with the rear face of the front sight painted with Testor's Neon Green (with white Liquid Paper being used as a base coat) for a very fast front sight acquisition.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
04-03-10, 12:55
Sorry-double post.

David Thomas
04-03-10, 14:35
both are great sights.

Warren
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/021-3-1.jpg

Heinie Ledge:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/037-2.jpg

G34Shooter
04-03-10, 17:14
I have not tried the newer Heinie ledge style sights and will try them this time over the Warren's I have on my G19.

M4arc
04-03-10, 18:59
I started running the Heinie Ledges on my G17 on advice from LAV and so far I've been very happy with them. It's definately easier to pick up the sight picture over my Trijicons.

I haven't switched over all my Glocks yet (I have too damn many) but I will eventually.

G34Shooter
04-03-10, 19:05
I started running the Heinie Ledges on my G17 on advice from LAV and so far I've been very happy with them. It's definately easier to pick up the sight picture over my Trijicons.

I haven't switched over all my Glocks yet (I have too damn many) but I will eventually.

Good to hear, U notches on the Warren and 10-8 sights do not work for me and I don't know why.

M4arc
04-03-10, 19:20
Good to hear, U notches on the Warren and 10-8 sights do not work for me and I don't know why.

I'll admit that I've never used a U notch but I suspect that like everything else I could get used to it with some practice.

And since I don't have a ton time to try all the different sights I figured I could save myself time and money by listeing to LAV and going with his recommendation.

G34Shooter
04-03-10, 19:24
I'll admit that I've never used a U notch but I suspect that like everything else I could get used to it with some practice.

And since I don't have a ton time to try all the different sights I figured I could save myself time and money by listeing to LAV and going with his recommendation.

I didn't feel like jumping back and forth between the WTS Sevigny sights that I love, the 10-8 sights on my old 1911 (Had them squared) and the WTS on my 19 that was rarely shot lol

madisonsfinest
04-03-10, 21:51
I was looking at these sights and some say you have to modify the slide. What kind of modification is this? Anything major?

ranburr
04-03-10, 23:23
I was looking at these sights and some say you have to modify the slide. What kind of modification is this? Anything major?

On what kind of pistol? About the the only ones I can think of would be a G.I. style 1911 or a Hi Power. Glocks, Sigs, etc are designed to work with the existing dovetails.

bushmasterar15
04-04-10, 00:41
I run Heinie's on my G20 they work good for me.

nickdrak
04-04-10, 01:08
I like some features of each of them....

I prefer the more vertical leading edge of the Heinie's rear sight for use during one handed slide manipulations. The Warren Tactical has more of a slanted/"snag-free" leading edge which I dont care for.

I prefer the over-all sight picture and the rear notch of the Warren Tactical. I didnt care much for the "U" notch of the 10-8 rear, but the slightly rounded-off design of the Warren Tactical seems to agree with me more than either the 10-8's "U" or the Heinie's square notch. The "Wave" profile of the rear does seem to help line-up the top of the front sight post with the top edge of the rear sight.

The Heinie's always seem to need more fitting than most other aftermarket sights on the market. Not a bad thing, just takes a little more time to fit properly.

madisonsfinest
04-04-10, 06:44
On Heine 's website under glock sights each time I click on a set it says it requires modification of the slide

rainman
04-04-10, 07:57

As someone who had run Trijicons on Glocks since the mid 90's, my "old man" eyes noticed a marked improvement picking up the sight picture when my friend got his first set of Heinie Ledges. I've since switched all of my Glocks to these.

While my eyesight is actually pretty decent (corrects to 20/20), everyone's eyes can have slight quirks (Astigmatism is a PITA!) or variations. I also get "foot-balling" of the dot with Aimpoints...much worse with the T1 than the M4.

Getting old sucks... :rolleyes:

-Rainman

M4arc
04-04-10, 08:12
I hear ya Rainman!

I'm switching mine over as well but I'm going to run the Ken Hackathron class with my Trijicon equipped G19s because I don't want to mess around with getting them installed and sighting them in before the class.

However, I'll switch them over after the class when I can spend some time getting them dialed in.

Rosco Benson
04-04-10, 08:24
On Heine 's website under flock sights each time I click on a set it says it requires modification of the slide

Heinie's Glock sights do not require any slide mods. His 1911 and P-35 sights do.

I've been running a set of Warren Tactical 3-dot tritium sights on a G17 for a couple weeks now. They are good sights. I don't know if they're any better than any other sight with eqivalent notch/front sight width dimensions, but they're just fine.

Rosco

RogerinTPA
04-04-10, 08:46
I have both, just recently having the warrens installed on my M&P9 a few weeks ago. I like both but after using the warrens, The sight picture seems crisper to me since they are darker in color than the Heinie's, and the front sight tritium dot is larger, so I pick it up faster.

rainman
04-04-10, 09:10
I'm going to run the Ken Hackathron class with my Trijicon equipped G19s...

If you're talking about the class in PA on 5-6 June, you should get to see how bad I can suck even with a Heinie equipped G19!
:D

One small item that I hope won't prevent me from being there...I fractured my left fibula several weeks ago and am still in a walking boot for another few weeks.

(carelessness + sunshine turning frozen hillside to soupie mud over a 3 hour period) x (gravity + 200 lbs) = MAJOR-owie

-Rainman

M4arc
04-04-10, 09:12
If you're talking about the class in PA on 5-6 June, you should get to see how bad I can suck even with a Heinie equipped G19!

No I'm talking about the one in NC in three weeks.

rainman
04-04-10, 09:19
No I'm talking about the one in NC in three weeks.

Please post an AAR, as that will be a great lead-in to when I take the class in June.

I've never met Hackathorn, but am sure these will be great classes.

-Rainman

Singlestack Wonder
04-04-10, 09:26
I've been running Heinie Slant Pro Straight Eights on all of my Glocks (and 1911's) since 2003. They have been duplicated by several companies over the years (10-8, Warren, etc.) with slight modifications. In all I have installed 12 sets on my pistols as well as many other sets on other shooter's pistols, and have had no isses with any in regards to fit, finish, or longevity.

ranburr
04-04-10, 12:54

One small item that I hope won't prevent me from being there...I fractured my left fibula several weeks ago and am still in a walking boot for another few weeks.

(carelessness + sunshine turning frozen hillside to soupie mud over a 3 hour period) x (gravity + 200 lbs) = MAJOR-owie

-Rainman

If you are capable of standing for long stretches and hobbling around for short distances, you will be fine in Ken's course. It is more or less drills, skill test, identifying and correcting bad habits. If Ken turned this into a week long course, even the worst shooters would lose all their bad habits. For the average guy who attends his courses, the two days will improve even the best of shooters.

M4arc
04-04-10, 13:17
Please post an AAR, as that will be a great lead-in to when I take the class in June.

I've never met Hackathorn, but am sure these will be great classes.

-Rainman

Will do but here's an AAR from a few weeks ago: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50108

jasonhgross
04-05-10, 10:22
Heinie Straight eights on both my glock 19's. Not tough to install, outstanding sight picture, durable.

David Thomas
04-05-10, 13:17
Supposedly the heinie sights have a smaller rear sight notch that makes it slower to get lined up.

The Heinie's can be ordered with a .156 notch. The width of the notch should not really be the deciding factor.

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-05-10, 13:28
I have Heini straight eights with the Qwik sized rear notch on my G19 and I like these very much, but I also own warren/sevigny 2 dot tritium carry sights (G26) and I like these sights slightly more. They are both terrific sights and a vast improvement to the OEM offerings, but I prefer the white outline on the W/S sights as most of my time behind the trigger is with a G34 w/ warren FO (red) sights so I like the way the white outline of the Warren/Sevigny sights draws my eyes to the FS.

You can't go wrong with either, but the availability of the warren's are definitely a plus.

GU

nickdrak
05-14-10, 01:22
After spending some time with both sights: The Heinie "Ledge" 2-dot tritium on one of my M&P9's and the Warren Tactical 2-dot tritium sights on my other, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the Heinie's.

I greatly prefer the profile of the Heinie "Ledge" over that of the Warren Tactical due to the more vertical leading edge of the rear sight which comes in-handy when doing one handed slide manipulations off of my holster or belt, etc. The Warren is just a little too slick for my taste for this function.

I also prefer the serrated front sight blade of the Heinie as well. I like to paint my front sight posts bright orange around the tritium insert, and the serrations on the Heinie sight hold onto the paint easier and longer for me.

I tried both pistols out today at the range and did a qualification course of fire I like to do which requires the shooter to fire 10 rounds onto a 4x6" index card @ 7 yards within 18 seconds while addressing a "failure to fire" malfunction and a speed reload. The presentation of the pistol, the malfunction clearance, and the speed reload must all be done on the move. Basically, if you aren't shooting, you MUST be moving. I was able to shoot my best time to date with the Heinie's (12.89), while my best time with the Warrens was (14.88).

YMMV, but that's my take on the two sights.

opmike
05-14-10, 02:53
I personally only like a U-notch if I'm going to be running a fairly large dot/tritium/FO out front.

However, most of my guns (at least now) are black on black; with that, I prefer a squared rear notch that you get with the Heine's.

DasBulk
05-15-10, 07:54
I have the Heinies on my carry 19 and I love them.
Still want to try Warrens though.
I use Crossbreed ST with combat cut. The rear sight isn't a problem for my "ampleness".

vicious_cb
05-15-10, 11:13
Has anyone installed the newer Heinies on an M&P? If so did it require any filing or fitting?

nickdrak
05-15-10, 13:50
Has anyone installed the newer Heinies on an M&P? If so did it require any filing or fitting?

Yes, the Heinies require a bit of fitting. Ive installed three sets of the Heinie Ledge sights on different M&P's and they all required fitting .

Awake
04-16-12, 08:57
I have a G-22 RTF2 with Ledges and a G-17 RTF2 with Warrens

I have been trying out both side by side and leaning towards Heinie. Never thought the serrations were so important, Warrens are flat, no serrations. The rear sight of the Warrens IMO dissapear too much, especially in dimmer light, the Ledges, although you are clearly focusing on the front sight you can still see the blurry rear and maintain a decent alignement during rapid fire or low light. Plus the flat top makes it easier to align. This is very subjective so take it as another opinion.

I'm still testing and will probably test with a timer and record accuracy.

Ledges are better for one handed operation, Ledges slightly less than 90°, Warrens are not even 90° but can be worked.

As a bonus, Glock Heinies come with black melonite, a similar finish that can withstand corrosion like the Glock finish.

Both have set screws and availability of front sights and combiantions. You are choosing between the 2 best IMO.

Hope this helps.

ck1
04-16-12, 09:20
For a while now I've been thinking of trying a mix of the two: Warren Tactical Sevigny Carry Rear paired with a Heinie .215" front, both with the single tritium dots. That would yield a "straight-8" tritium set-up but it'd be real close to the standard Sevigny Competition set most of the time with serrations on the front, no serrations on the rear, and I believe with the Heinie fronts there's no ring around the front trit vial.

Thing is, I haven't come across two guns next to each other wearing each set to see if the trit vials are the same size (or at least the front one being larger) to be sure it'd work out..? Might have to just order them and check 'em out before I install them...

That said, in the last few years I've come to view tritium as not being as much of a necessity as I once thought it to be, so regular all-black irons (with a decent light in my pocket) might just be how I'll continue to roll...

Edit: JMHO, but I'm not a fan of serrations on rears (or both front and rear) anymore as is the case with the Heine's. I think serrations on the front only (like with the Warren/Sevigny's) works really well as far as making the front stand out while keeping the whole sight picture crisp and uncomplicated.

DOA
04-16-12, 10:12
Have used both and prefer the Warren Tacticals. Tried the Seveigny rears but found I couldnt quite get the hang of them.