PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 Ejection Issue

jmp45
04-02-10, 18:35
I just had the Apex Sear and Striker Block upgrade, what a difference.. Anyhow, I ran some cheap Blazer aluminum and just about every case ejected straight back anywhere from about 7 to 5 o'clock. Down the shirt, in the face.. it was fun. I ran some Winchester brass through it and they ejected consistently about 3 to 4 o'clock. I'm guessing this is just an ammo issue and I should chill..;)

TehLlama
04-02-10, 19:35
I asked Apex Tactical, their extractor is coming out in a few weeks.

beastfrog
04-02-10, 20:02
Different ejection patterns with different ammo is usually the ammo. I suspect that Blazer is lower powered than the Winchester. Run some +P self defense ammo and see what it does. Bet it's just fine.

javentre
04-02-10, 20:57
My M&P does the same. There is a more rearward ejection pattern with aluminum casings.

Ed L.
04-02-10, 21:04
I've been running a prototype Apex extractor on my M&P9 that had previously been having failures to extract every 200-400 rounds. Have not had an ejection problem since installing it. I have also run some blaser aluminum cased ammo through the gun without an issue. No cases were hitting me in the head.

G34Shooter
04-02-10, 21:06
I've been running a prototype Apex extractor on my M&P9 that had previously been having failures to extract every 200-400 rounds. Have not had an ejection problem since installing it. I have also run some blaser aluminum cased ammo through the gun without an issue. No cases were hitting me in the head.

Does it need to be fitted by a smith?

Randy Lee
04-03-10, 00:28
Does it need to be fitted by a smith?

The production run for the 9mm should not require more that 10 minutes of fitting.
We will have another video tutorial for proper fitting. The part itself should fit into the slide without any sanding or filing.

It will be as close to drop in as I can make it.

-Randy

G34Shooter
04-03-10, 00:31
The production run for the 9mm should not require more that 10 minutes of fitting.
We will have another video tutorial for proper fitting. The part itself should fit into the slide without any sanding or filing.

It will be as close to drop in as I can make it.

-Randy

Well that will be another part I need to go with the DCAEK :D

You guys at Apex made it difficult for me to resist the M&P as mine was ordered today lol

Randy Lee
04-03-10, 00:59
Well that will be another part I need to go with the DCAEK :D

You guys at Apex made it difficult for me to resist the M&P as mine was ordered today lol

We do our best to keep Smith in business. :p

-Randy

Ed L.
04-03-10, 01:22
Some more details:

I had a problem child M&P9 that would a failure to extract every 200-400 rounds with all types of ammo. It would result in case rim sticking a bit out of the chamber. From what I understand this issue effects some 9mms.

So I talked Randy into letting me T&E his prototype extractor for an upcoming article. Since then I have about 1200-1400 rounds throught the gun with various ammo without an issue of this sort. This includes, Blazer aluminum cased, +P, +P+ and running it through a Pat Rogers handgun and Carbine class. Anyway, the new AOEX extractor fixed the problem. Thanks, Randy.

vicious_cb
04-03-10, 01:54
Still waiting on my M&P to arrive :(

Guess Ill wait till the new Apex extractor comes out so I can have that installed as well when I send it in.

What improvements does it offer over the stock extractor?

jmp45
04-03-10, 10:00
Thanks guys, I may be installing the apex extractor too, else not use blazer aluminum.

javentre
04-03-10, 10:01
For me, the Blazer (Aluminum) has only changed the ejection pattern. It has not caused any malfunctions.

markm
04-03-10, 10:15
My G17 does that every so often... not consistently, but every so often. Haven't taken one down the shirt yet. Usually it bounces of my head somewhere.