PDA

View Full Version : Surefire E2D defender

bjw182005
04-02-10, 19:46
Is anyone running one of these as their primary weaponlight? I have run many of the other surefire models including the G2, 6P, etc... I would love to be able to afford one of the new smaller scout lights, but i am also interested in these as they have a smaller diameter and dont appear to be as heavy as some of the others. So anyone running one and if so, how do you like the set up? I know that a member on Lf.net has got some pretty sweet mounts for these in the works now also.

Titleist
04-02-10, 20:29
They work great as weapon mounts...IF you swap out the 2-stage head for a KX2C or other compatible 1-stage head.

Trust me, the 2-stage blows!

bjw182005
04-02-10, 20:43
They work great as weapon mounts...IF you swap out the 2-stage head for a KX2C or other compatible 1-stage head.

Are you using one of these now? Do you happen to have any pics you can pst of your setup?

Titleist
04-02-10, 21:28
I recently changed it out on my rifle, but here's how I had it set up previously.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/3935642053_d832cd04f8_o.jpg

Frntsyt
04-02-10, 21:35
I use one on my work gun with a TNVC replacement head. Stay away from the dual output head as stated above. I will try and dig up a pic ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/Twoj238/March2010044.jpg

bjw182005
04-02-10, 21:58
Thank you guys for the heads up on the single output head. Thanks for the pics also. Would it make the most sense then to just get the E2D and swap it for the single output LED head? I think that this light with the mount from DCC would be a great combo. I also read that the UE07 tape switch will work with the E series lights. Is this correct to your knowledge?

NickB
04-02-10, 22:00
Buy this light for single-stage output: http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-vtac_surefire_L4.html

bjw182005
04-02-10, 22:31
Buy this light for single-stage output: http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-vtac_surefire_L4.html

That looks like a pretty good deal. Are the dimensions on the L4 the same as the E2D? I am really liking the mount from danger close consulting and as far as i know its set up for the e series lights.

Sttrongbow
04-02-10, 23:25

I'm running mine with a 2 stage. Seems to work well for me.... what's your issue with it?

m98evolution
04-02-10, 23:35
I'm running the E2D LED in a LaRue LT-707 mount on my SR15 and love the setup. I did switch out the head for the KX2C single output. If you're lucky you might be able to find the early production E2D LED with the single output head. I snagged one and it is just as bright as the Scout series lights.

LONGSWORD
04-02-10, 23:43
I'm running mine with a 2 stage. Seems to work well for me.... what's your issue with it?

The light will change output levels if it's subjected to a shock. Try it with yours, turn it on to high and smack the tailcap with your palm. It'll change to low. Thats why most people don't use em as a weaponlight.

NickB
04-03-10, 00:51
That looks like a pretty good deal. Are the dimensions on the L4 the same as the E2D? I am really liking the mount from danger close consulting and as far as i know its set up for the e series lights.

That's an E2 body - not sure why they're calling it an L4.

PdxMotoxer
04-03-10, 01:09
Not to thread-jack but quick question for Titleist.

your photos and rifles make me feel things that i should not be feeling while looking
at a weapon. (j/k... lol)

If you don't mind me asking where do you regularly shoot?

I live on the aloha/hillsboro line and i'm new to rifle shooting (other than skeet/5 stand) and weather permitting we head down toward tillamook where we used to ride/race dirt bikes.

Thanks

Titleist
04-03-10, 08:43
PDX, thanks man. Feel free to PM me. I generally shoot at TCGC, or Douglas Ridge.

Again drop me a PM and if you're just getting in to the AR platform I can help you out.

LonghunterCO
04-03-10, 13:52
The Viking tactics is a heck of a light for $140ish. I would recomend it over the E2D as it is single mode. As another alternative you could build your own.

G&Rs 6V flashlight body (G&R tactical) : $36
Surefire Z68 clicky (G&R or Brightflashlights): $37
Surefire Z44 steel bezel (Brightflashlights) : $27
Malkoff M60 : $55 (or his M60LF for $39;))

This gives you the "E series" body with the larger series head.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/Longhunter-CO/P3100138.jpg

tr1kstanc3
04-04-10, 10:25
The light will change output levels if it's subjected to a shock. Try it with yours, turn it on to high and smack the tailcap with your palm. It'll change to low. Thats why most people don't use em as a weaponlight.

Does this in any way damage the 2 stage head?

LonghunterCO
04-04-10, 11:45
Does this in any way damage the 2 stage head?

I have never heard any reports of damage to the light. I issue is if you are using it and you are engaging at the extended range of your light and after you break the shot your light drops to a "low setting" that you could loose track of your target.

LockenLoad
04-04-10, 16:32
if you get one make sure you get the new 200 lumen model led my led is only 150 which is pretty bright

Sttrongbow
04-05-10, 11:12

Mine doesn't. I hit it as hard as I can... stays high. Just lucky?

tr1kstanc3
04-05-10, 21:58
Are there any pressure pad switches that work with the E2DL body? Looking at the pics of the Scout light it looks like it might fit.

TehLlama
04-05-10, 23:06
Mine doesn't. I hit it as hard as I can... stays high. Just lucky?

I haven't noticed this either, until I take a boot to the front of the light and really smack it.

SmokeJumper
04-05-10, 23:40
Are there any pressure pad switches that work with the E2DL body? Looking at the pics of the Scout light it looks like it might fit.

Try the SureFire #UE07, should be what you had in mind.
http://www.surefire.com/Remote-Tailcap-Switch-Assembly-for-Scout-Light

SmokeJumper
04-05-10, 23:44
Is anyone running one of these as their primary weaponlight? I have run many of the other surefire models including the G2, 6P, etc... I would love to be able to afford one of the new smaller scout lights, but i am also interested in these as they have a smaller diameter and dont appear to be as heavy as some of the others. So anyone running one and if so, how do you like the set up? I know that a member on Lf.net has got some pretty sweet mounts for these in the works now also.

After playing with the 660 series and the 6P's and upgrading the lamp moudles to the LED version a friend mentioned the mounts and SureFire LED light from Viking Tactics.
http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_vtac_lightmount.html
It is an E2D LED defender basically, not much difference, and they are $149.99 alone or 169.00 with light and mount from Viking Tactics. I was thinking this was more in my price range rather than the $400+ figures for the Scouts. Probably gonna try this out and a tail cap/tap switch can be purchased later is you decide too. Just a thought

bjw182005
04-07-10, 21:16
Well i went with the VTAC light that was recommended by a couple of you guys and the DCC E-series light mount. I received both today and I have to say that they are both amazing. The light is bright, reasonably compact, and well built. The DCC mount is also a well machined, light weight mount that hold the light tight to the rail. As stated i recieved both today, so I dont have it fully mounted up yet, but after hitting them with some FDE krylon tomorrow, I will mount it up and try and get some pics up for you guys. Thanks again for all your advice and assistance.

bjw182005
04-10-10, 15:59
OK. So i decided to go with the VTAC light and DCC mount and as stated here are the pics of the setup. I think that this is an awesome alternative to the scout lights, and a good choice for anyone looking for a quality weapon mounted light.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my setup.