PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense 12" Lite Gas Block Clearance

siucowboy
04-02-10, 22:54
Ok so I'm trying to install a DD 12" Lite and realize that's a darn small opening on the receiver end of the rail. I wanted to put a low profile gas block hidden back under the rail, but the YHM one I had here definitely isn't going to fit.

What gas blocks are out there that this rail can slide over ?

TOMTOM
04-02-10, 23:25
i have the Daniel Defense gas block under my 12" lite rail.

siucowboy
04-02-10, 23:34
and you were able to install the gas block before sliding on the rail? The receiver end of the rail went over the gas block?

spamsammich
04-03-10, 00:53
i have the Daniel Defense gas block under my 12" lite rail.

Same here, rail slides right over the block. The vltor and stag low pro blocks work well too

siucowboy
04-03-10, 01:28
Anyone else had the same problem with a YHM low pro gas block?

Robb Jensen
04-03-10, 04:07
Ok so I'm trying to install a DD 12" Lite and realize that's a darn small opening on the receiver end of the rail. I wanted to put a low profile gas block hidden back under the rail, but the YHM one I had here definitely isn't going to fit.

What gas blocks are out there that this rail can slide over ?

YHM is far to big. You need a DD , VLTOR , LaRue oe Troy low pro.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 11:51
YHM is far to big. You need a DD , VLTOR , LaRue oe Troy low pro.

I knew this one wasn't going to fit, but I guess I'm just surprised that the others are really that much smaller than the YHM one I'm using:

Robb Jensen
04-03-10, 11:55
I knew this one wasn't going to fit, but I guess I'm just surprised that the others are really that much smaller than the YHM one I'm using:

That one pictured will fit under a LaRue, Troy and DD Lite Rail.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 12:04
It will through the end of the rail closest to the barrel, but not the end closest to the receiver - at least on my DD Lite that's only a 1" diameter hole.

I could slip it on from the chamber end of the barrel, but then I can't get the barrel nut on cause it won't fit through that 1" hole either...

I feel like i'm missing something obvious and will be doing a oh duh moment later ! I need some help

Robb Jensen
04-03-10, 12:19
It will through the end of the rail closest to the barrel, but not the end closest to the receiver - at least on my DD Lite that's only a 1" diameter hole.

I could slip it on from the chamber end of the barrel, but then I can't get the barrel nut on cause it won't fit through that 1" hole either...

I feel like i'm missing something obvious and will be doing a oh duh moment later ! I need some help

Order of assembly:
Lite Rail flange goes onto the receiver, then the barrel nut, barrel nut is torqued, then gas block is installed on barrel, gas tube is installed then the rail is slid over the barrel and gas block and bolted to the flange with the 6 screws.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 12:27
Order of assembly:
Lite Rail flange goes onto the receiver, then the barrel nut, barrel nut is torqued, then gas block is installed on barrel, gas tube is installed then the rail is slid over the barrel and gas block and bolted to the flange with the 6 screws.

yep got all that, but this rail is not going over the gas block after its installed, just wont fit - the hole in the end of the rail to slide over the gas block is only 1" in diameter.

Robb Jensen
04-03-10, 12:34
yep got all that, but this rail is not going over the gas block after its installed, just wont fit - the hole in the end of the rail to slide over the gas block is only 1" in diameter.

If you have a really early Lite Rail they weren't milled to go over anything but the barrel. With these you'll have to install the gas tube and gas tube roll pin onto the gas block and then feed the gas block from the front end. Then feed them as an assembly onto the barrel. It's a pain.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 13:10
If you have a really early Lite Rail they weren't milled to go over anything but the barrel. With these you'll have to install the gas tube and gas tube roll pin onto the gas block and then feed the gas block from the front end. Then feed them as an assembly onto the barrel. It's a pain.

That must be what I have - I had considered doing it just as you've said, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the gas block tightened down with it under the rail. I can't slide the rail far enough off the gas block cause it hits the barrel nut on the other side haha...quite the pickle.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 13:22
Would it be safe to mill the old type out ? I can certainly have that done pretty quickly. Anyone have a pic of that end of a newer one that I could go off of?

Robb Jensen
04-03-10, 13:26
Would it be safe to mill the old type out ? I can certainly have that done pretty quickly. Anyone have a pic of that end of a newer one that I could go off of?

I believe Steve at ADCO did this for some people.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 14:50
I believe Steve at ADCO did this for some people.

anyone got a picture of this work? I have access to a tool room, just want to know where to remove, don't want to weaken the rail too much.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 21:06
Well I milled out the rail and got er done...