PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR MUR Advantages?

No Bananas
04-03-10, 12:13
Besides looking super cool, what are the advantages of the MUR? Do the "proper specs" and thicker body really translate into better accuracy and increased longevity?

bkb0000
04-03-10, 12:14
for long range and/or maximum precision, the MUR will flex less than an M4 upper

No Bananas
04-05-10, 10:05
Hmmm. So, I'm guessing unless you have $ to burn for cool looking uppers, or if you are shooting at extended ranges in a precision role...than the MUR doesn't offer any real advantage?

militarymoron
04-05-10, 10:13
as a lefty, one of the main reasons i like the MUR is that the fwd assist assy is located further forward than the standard one, and gives my finger unrestricted access when i rack an ambi charging handle.

Stickman
04-05-10, 12:06
Hmmm. So, I'm guessing unless you have $ to burn for cool looking uppers, or if you are shooting at extended ranges in a precision role...than the MUR doesn't offer any real advantage?

Its a massively reinforced upper receiver, nothing else is coming close. Whether you need that or not is another question. For me, the trueness of the threads is secondary, but to a accuracy freak that eats and lives to get every particle of perfection they can, I can see where it would be of importance. Most billet receivers are going to be squared up correctly, but they won't have the tank like build of the MUR.

If you've got the money or the need for the best of the best, you are going to have a very difficult time finding a close second to the MUR. If not, you should be able to live with a standard upper. :)

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20V/STCK9088-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20V/STCK8833-1024-Stick.jpg

JSantoro
04-05-10, 12:27
I have a Noveske upper built off of the MUR-1A. I'm human, and have to admit that the "looks cool" aspect had a hand in my decision process.

But, since I've owned and shot the thing, it's clear that it's unlikely that I'll ever truly live up to that upper/barrel combo. It's a Sisyphean existence, continuing to try, yet knowing that I'll fail.

04-05-10, 15:06
Just note that the newer MUR's are no longer machined from billet. They are forgings.