PDA

View Full Version : I need an ar15 BUIS.....

kal
04-03-10, 12:22
.....and preferably less than $100.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a quality piece for the price.

Just need some good brands to go off by.

ForTehNguyen
04-03-10, 12:25
you need a rear and/or front sight?

you can get both the pair of Magpul MBUS for under 100 easily

djegators
04-03-10, 12:27
Not sure if you meant under $100 each, or for a set. You can get a set of Magpul for well under a $100, will most likely meet your needs.

W.E.G.
04-03-10, 13:21
For a BACK-UP sight, I'm completely satisfied with the MATECH.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/MATECH.jpg

SIGguy229
04-03-10, 13:30
I got an MATECH BUIS for about $50 (new) from gunbroker.com....

Just need to look around and make sure you're getting is a MATECH, preferably in an original bag.

kal
04-03-10, 14:08
I just need a rear sight. The front sight is standard ar15.

motorolahamm
04-03-10, 15:05
Matech is good also check ebay for a used or sometimes new KAC Knight's Armament sight

Redhat
04-03-10, 18:04
Matech does not have large and small apertures...if that matters to you.

sewvacman
04-03-10, 18:15
I have the following:
ARMS #40
Troy battlesight
LMT fixed
DD fixed
Larue fixed

For folding I would recommend buying a used Troy on the forum, the Arms #40 is easier for my wife to flip down though.
For fixed I like the Larue, DD is a close 2nd and cheaper.
I try and buy quality, when I cannot afford it new I personally go with used quality.

Just based on what I have or tried. fwiw

Showbart
04-03-10, 18:24
I like folding rear BUIS and am very happy with the BCM unit.

rychencop
04-03-10, 18:30
for under $100 i would go matech or magpul...in that order. i'll take a Troy folding over any of them.

rainman
04-03-10, 18:49
For fixed rear sight, LaRue or Daniel Defense.

For a folder, if it were me, I'd up the price ceiling to $119 and get a BCM/by Troy.

-Rainman

Showbart
04-03-10, 18:50
for under $100 i would go matech or magpul...in that order. i'll take a Troy folding over any of them.

Exactly, the BCM is a Troy clone made by Troy. It's $119 and the Troy is $139, as I recall it. It's a great sight.

87GN
04-03-10, 20:47
Hard to call something manufactured by Company A as a clone of Company A's product... :confused:

The only difference is the laser marking...

For under $100 I'd seek out a used Troy rear. If you don't mind a fixed BUIS, look at the Daniel Defense.

kal
04-03-10, 20:58
Yes, a folding rear sight would be nice. I plan on getting a red dot optic as well and I think the term is "co-witness(?)" the irons with the optic. I don't mind the front sight being in the way, but the rear sight has to be out of the way if the optic is being used.

Showbart
04-03-10, 21:21
Hard to call something manufactured by Company A as a clone of Company A's product... :confused:

The only difference is the laser marking...

OK, "rebranded". You know what I mean. It is a Troy, but it says BCM, and it's $20 less.

ForTehNguyen
04-03-10, 21:22
yes its called cowitnessing.

87GN
04-03-10, 21:41
Yes, a folding rear sight would be nice. I plan on getting a red dot optic as well and I think the term is "co-witness(?)" the irons with the optic. I don't mind the front sight being in the way, but the rear sight has to be out of the way if the optic is being used.

With a lower 1/3 cowitness, you will not see the fixed rear at all in the "tube" or "window".

Even with absolute cowitness, it doesn't "have" to be out of the way.

OK, "rebranded". You know what I mean. It is a Troy, but it says BCM, and it's $20 less.

To me, the word "clone" as it relates to firearms accessories implies that the item is an inferior copy, possibly made overseas.

Thomas M-4
04-03-10, 21:44

If you are not going to use a magnifier or PVS-14 with the RDS. Then I would not get a folding BUIS. Just run a Larue fixed BUIS or a DD fixed BUIS. lower 1/3 cowitness with the RDS. I don't even notice the fixed BUIS when shooting + its recommended that you use your folding BUIS in the up position any way.

ForTehNguyen
04-03-10, 21:56
it comes down to personal preference

Redhat
04-03-10, 21:59
I started out with a RDS but later added a scope on QRL mount for longer range shooting.

I like a folding BUIS that fits under a scope...more flexibillity.

CaptainDooley
04-03-10, 22:42
The new Troy fixed sight looks really cool. I'd give you first hand knowledge of it, but mine's not here yet... It's about $60-$70.

siucowboy
04-03-10, 23:15

No price difference from BCM - they're the same price on their website: $119

Just has BCM on it instead of the tiny Troy Print

opmike
04-04-10, 01:24
I'm not a huge fan of folding BUIS's. I use a lower 1/3 cowitness and a fixed rear sight basically disappears from my field of view anyway. I guess I'm in the minority on this.

I like the Daniel Defense A1.5 myself. I saved 40 bucks and have a rifle that is more than serviceable.

arizonaranchman
04-04-10, 10:11

This is what I'd do. Assuming you're looking for a rear sight only and $100 is your ceiling? Well if I was you I'd set up a lemonade stand or have a garage sale and make that extra $20 and get the folding Troy. It's solid steel and it's TOP NOTCH quality.

siucowboy
04-04-10, 13:42
I'm not a huge fan of folding BUIS's. I use a lower 1/3 cowitness and a fixed rear sight basically disappears from my field of view anyway. I guess I'm in the minority on this.

I like the Daniel Defense A1.5 myself. I saved 40 bucks and have a rifle that is more than serviceable.

I'm completely ok with a fixed front, but I don't like the rear being up in the view of the red dot even with a lower 1/3 co witness.

You can do some serious damage with just a front sight at close range if you need to :-)

ras61541
04-04-10, 17:50
I use the Larue fixed BUIS and a standard front sight post with my Aimpoint T-1 with no issues. The Larue sight is very solid and does not get in the way of me using the Aimpoint at all. I like the fact that it is always there if I need it, but I can still see the red dot fine looking over it.

Bill Bryant
04-04-10, 18:08
Don't overlook the offerings from KAC.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41749

Thomas M-4
04-04-10, 18:16
I'm completely ok with a fixed front, but I don't like the rear being up in the view of the red dot even with a lower 1/3 co witness.

You can do some serious damage with just a front sight at close range if you need to :-)

When you center up the dot in the tube you cannot see the ears of the Fixed BUIS and the aperture will blur into the FSB your post on the front will be higher than the rear aperture. What I am trying to say is it is not a problem it works great if you use the right BUIS and mount.

jhs1969
04-05-10, 00:48
I have a folding Troy rear BUIS on my LMT with an Aimpoint. I think I'm getting close to adding another Aimpoint to my Colt, I plan on a Bobro 1/3 CW and plan on a LMT fixed BUIS.

hikeeba
04-05-10, 08:18
The new Troy fixed sight looks really cool. I'd give you first hand knowledge of it, but mine's not here yet... It's about $60-$70.

They are really... Cool. They also appear to be quite solid and useful, too. I can give you first hand knowledge on how they look and feel, because I got mine last week. However, I haven't yet assembled the upper they're going on, so I haven't actually used them yet.

I recently acquired the Troy fix front and rear Battle Sights. I had been planning to get the DD fixed rear sight and use an LMT rail-mount front sight I already have, but then I came across the Troy fixed front sight. It has a circular hood, and I like that feature. Since Troy had a special of $10 off a set of sights, I decided to get both the front and rear. They appear to be built well, and fit and finish is nice. However, I chose the FDE version of each, and the color is slightly different between the two pieces. Oh noooes!!!

Rude Robert
04-05-10, 09:17
I have the handle that I bought to add on it. I makes it look like a real m16 and I just like the looks plus my eye lines up real quick for target acqusition

Pulsar
04-05-10, 09:24

You aren't alone. I like the standard FSB w/ a fixed rear sight (I have a Larue) on a rifle equipped with an RDS as well.

F_G
04-05-10, 09:30
My preferences are;

Folding - Troy (But you will have to expand you budget by $20)
Fixed - Larue (Usually between $80 and $90)

kal
07-22-10, 18:20
Believe it or not, I STILL haven't bought the rear site yet. Attending to other things..........

But I want to place an order tonight and I'm thinking about the Daniel Defense fixed rear sight from aim surplus or another vendor.

Is there anything important I should know about the DD rear sight before I go forth with the purchase? Any known problems, etc?

xbmxracerx
07-22-10, 18:31
I went with this Troy flip but the DOA is not for me so I swapped it out for the standard Troy Flip from Spikes.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/DOA-1.jpg

RD62
07-22-10, 20:14
Believe it or not, I STILL haven't bought the rear site yet. Attending to other things..........

But I want to place an order tonight and I'm thinking about the Daniel Defense fixed rear sight from aim surplus or another vendor.

Is there anything important I should know about the DD rear sight before I go forth with the purchase? Any known problems, etc?

I think I might can help you out, IM sent!

-RD62

GermanSynergy
07-22-10, 21:02
I just need a rear sight. The front sight is standard ar15.

A LaRue BUIS sounds like what you're looking for, and meets your price point.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

kal
07-24-10, 19:44
I'm looking at this troy fixed rear sight and I don't understand what they mean by the word "permanent". Does it mean that once it's on, you shouldn't be messing with it any more because of possibly stripping the bolt?

http://store.troyind.com/Rear_Fixed_Rail_Sight_p/ssig-frs-r0bt-00.htm

".......This permanent, rail-mounted alternative to a standard A2 sight allows limitless mounting options on all-length rails with a serrated ramp to eliminate glare........."

"A permanent rail mounted alternative to a standard A2 rear sight or carry handle

CaptainDooley
07-24-10, 20:26
I've got one and there's no problem taking it off and on - I think since it's not QD, they're referring to it as permanent.

JohnnyC
07-25-10, 00:51
What works best for me:

Folding - KAC 300m or 600m
Fixed - Daniel Defense A1.5

The LaRue is nice but I can't for the life of me figure out why you would need a QD BUIS. Do people really take them off? If it's in the way get a folding unit.