PDA

View Full Version : Is this a common with Pmags ???

motorolahamm
04-03-10, 15:01
Just wondering i have a Pmag that when full shoots ammo across the range, when filled with 30 rounds and you give a slap to the bottom of the mag ammo spits out. this also happens when only loaded with 28,26,24,22 rnds and so on.
is it the feedlips ?? and if so how well is Mapuls cust service ?? i have heard these ar supose to be one of the best mags to have. none of my other Mags have done this And would magpul even warranty an issue like this ??

THANKS GUYS

bkb0000
04-03-10, 15:10
how old is the mag? i'd just chuck it and unwrap the next in line.

look at the spine near the top- i'm betting you have a little crack there

motorolahamm
04-03-10, 15:26
how old is the mag? i'd just chuck it and unwrap the next in line.

look at the spine near the top- i'm betting you have a little crack there

Mag has maybe 90 rds thru it , I don't see any small cracks or fractures

bkb0000
04-03-10, 15:29
Mag has maybe 90 rds thru it , I don't see any small cracks or fractures

then its possible its just a crappy mag... 90 rounds is still brand new. discard and unwrap another, or call magpul if you feel ripped off for $14 :p

bkb0000
04-03-10, 15:38
rereading the post-

slapping the mag while the bolt is open can make them spit rounds- but this can happen with any mag. i assume you're only having this problem with one mag specifically? how hard are you slapping it? when the bolt's open, a firm push is really all you should give it- slapping is for reloading on a closed bolt.

motorolahamm
04-03-10, 16:02
Not that hard of slap really , i might slap it a little harder if watching the playboy channel but:D lol, but no on a open bolt just seating the mag with a normal mag insert this has happened , yeah and i wish i could find pmags for $ 14 at one of the local stores. They charge more like 20 to 22 $ for standred pmags and if you order anywere then there is the S&H but anyway thanks for the help

04-03-10, 16:18
My Lancer 30rd mags do the same but it's normal I guess from reading. Give Magpul a call Monday. I'm pretty positive they'll make it right. :cool:

C4IGrant
04-03-10, 17:03
Slapping the bottom of the mag is not the proper technique.

Use the push/pull method to insert the mag.

C4

emt370
04-03-10, 17:08
Not that hard of slap really , i might slap it a little harder if watching the playboy channel but:D lol, but no on a open bolt just seating the mag with a normal mag insert this has happened , yeah and i wish i could find pmags for $ 14 at one of the local stores. They charge more like 20 to 22 $ for standred pmags and if you order anywere then there is the S&H but anyway thanks for the help

aimsurplus.com will get you them for $14.20 shipped. Just saying. No need to get raped locally.

motorolahamm
04-03-10, 17:59
aimsurplus.com will get you them for $14.20 shipped. Just saying. No need to get raped locally.

Hey thanks for the heads up :)

NCHornet
04-04-10, 10:23
Just don't slap it!!!
I have about 20 PMags and have never had the issue you describe. Give Magpul a shout they will probably send you a new one. I am getting mine for $39 for three PMags shipped. Non window of course, I see no need for the window.

NCH

ForTehNguyen
04-04-10, 10:35
+1 on push/pull, slapping is for pistol mags, where you cant pull

Iraqgunz
04-04-10, 11:18
The slapping thing is an old bad habit carried over by those that used aluminum mags and always had them fully loaded. They were damn near impossible to insert into the magwell.

As Grant mentioned a simple push/ pull will work fine.

halo2304
04-04-10, 14:50
I was given an MSAR STANAG mag that wouldn't hold it's ammo. I put 11 rounds into it and by the time I got it to the mag well, it would have 8. The plastic is just too soft. I'm not sure why I still have it but it's rattling around in the trunk of my car. You might say I have a little 'junk' in the trunk! :D:rolleyes:

Roklok
04-04-10, 16:47
Slapping the bottom of the mag is not the proper technique.

Use the push/pull method to insert the mag.

C4

You got that right Grant. Somebody has been watching to many movies!!!

sickpup
04-04-10, 18:40
You got that right Grant. Somebody has been watching to many movies!!!

i tap/slap my mags and always have but with the BOLT closed.

not sure why people are so tough on the OP

Tap rack bang
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2006)

Tap, rack, bang (TRB) is jargon for the emergency corrective procedure for a semi-automatic firearm or an automatic firearm after a failure to fire ("stoppage"), which usually gives an audible "click" as the firing mechanism fails to fire a round. This sound tends to be trained to act as a reactionary cue to commence the corrective procedure, unless the operator knows the magazine is simply empty. The procedure is effective for most common failures, such as defective ammunition or improperly seated magazines. In British military parlance these drills are called "Immediate Actions".

1. Tap refers to the first action; that is to tap the magazine. This is to ensure that the magazine is properly engaged in the firearm so that it feeds properly. As typically taught in tactical firearms courses, the "tap" is considerably more than a tap and in the case of a semiautomatic pistol is usually accomplished by slamming the gun hard into the palm of the other hand, magazine end down.
2. Rack refers to operating (cocking or cycling) of the slide of the firearm. This will serve to eject a miss-fired round – that could be a possible cause of the stoppage – and chamber the next round.
3. Bang simply denotes the action of firing the firearm following the first two steps.

While the 'Tap, Rack, Bang' is effective in the vast majority of cases, it is not effective in all cases. Some failures, such as a case becoming lodged in the breech or breakage of the firearm, require more complicated maintenance or even attention from a gunsmith. However, under emergency conditions (such as combat) it is still the first procedure followed. It rules out most simple cartridge-related failures of the weapon and should be done before field-stripping the firearm to gather further information. It is also advisable to execute this drill before taking additional time to produce and use a back-up firearm.

pcardinal42
04-04-10, 19:59
In the air force we are trained to do this if our weapon doesn't fire. In basic we shoot Vietnam era M16s so they jam and fail a lot. The following sight is our Airman's Manual that we are issued and it supposedly gives all we need for deployment situation and a bunch of other crap. The acronym SPORTS is on page 116.

Heavy Metal
04-04-10, 21:21
SPORTs is near-worthless. No credible trainer teaches it. It is a vestige of a bygone era.

It is in truth remedial action when a situation calls for immediate action.

Tap (push/pull)-Rack-(aim)Bang is the correct first step. If that does not work, a rip drill is the next step and it would be the proper remedial action.

pcardinal42
04-04-10, 21:31
SPORTs is near-worthless. No credible trainer teaches it. It is a vestige of a bygone era.

It is in truth remedial action when a situation calls for immediate action.

Tap (push/pull)-Rack-(aim)Bang is the correct first step. If that does not work, a rip drill is the next step and it would be the proper remedial action.

Agreed. I went through in 06 so I can not say that is still being taught to basic trainees but it is still in the current manual. Seems like the air force needs to get with the times.

BudJr
04-05-10, 18:42
nevermind. dumb joke

Mung
04-05-10, 21:34
Just finished an instructor school. They're out with tap rack bang, and using tap rack assess. Fwiw.