PDA

View Full Version : OK - Armed homeowner shoots & kills sword wielding burglar!

Irish
04-03-10, 17:04
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12246529

TULSA COUNTY -- The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office has identified the intruder who was shot and killed by Turley homeowner, Michael Lish, late Thursday night. The sheriff's office says the intruder was Billy Jean Tiffey III, 19.

The incident happened at a home in the 6000 block of North Owasso just after 10 p.m.

According to Tulsa County sheriff's deputies, a couple was entering the home through the back door when they heard a noise in the master bedroom.

Deputies say the homeowner went to the bedroom and confronted the intruder.

"He walked in until he got close to the master bedroom, at that time he saw a burglar in the house, the burglar was carrying a sword that belonged to a homeowner, approached the homeowner, the homeowner told him to stop, pulled out his gun, guy didn't stop, and shot him," said TCSO Captain John Bowman.

Bowman says the intruder then reached for a gun in his pocket, so the homeowner fired two more shots, striking the man in the chest, killing him.

Detectives from the sheriff's office found Tiffey dead in a hallway of the home, and besides the sword by his side, say he did have other weapons with him.

"He had a .38 caliber handgun in his pocket, he had the homeowners 9mm handgun, a stun gun and a knife," said Sgt. Shannon Clark, Tulsa County Sheriff's Office.

Tiffey was recently released from the Tulsa County Jail and has a record of drug offenses and driving under the influence.

Those court records show Tiffey's last arrest was in February.

Deputies questioned the homeowner, but did not arrest him because it appears to be self-defense, and though it's not an issue in this case, the homeowner does have a concealed carry permit.

Deputies say the homeowner did not know the suspect and the homeowners were not injured.

GermanSynergy
04-03-10, 17:44
Glad the homeowner wasn't hurt. I'm guessing the perp watched Conan the Barbarian one too many times?

Irish
04-03-10, 18:24
Glad the homeowner wasn't hurt. I'm guessing the perp watched Conan the Barbarian one too many times?

Don't bring a sword to a gunfight ;)

LOKNLOD
04-03-10, 20:19

Thankfully while the perp was watching Conan, the homeowner was watching Indiana Jones :D

LHS
04-03-10, 21:09
Thankfully while the perp was watching Conan, the homeowner was watching Indiana Jones :D

NICE.

Armati
04-03-10, 21:34
A few months ago this was a big local story:

Johns Hopkins student kills apparent burglar with sword

updated 12:47 p.m. EDT, Tue September 15, 2009

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man had entered a home where several Johns Hopkins students lived, Guglielmi said. Four students, one armed with a samurai sword, had confronted the suspect in the garage.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Police questioned the three witnesses, Guglielmi said, and released them. It was not immediately clear whether all four students lived at the house, he said.

Authorities are determining whether the student will face criminal charges, Guglielmi said.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison Saturday, Guglielmi said.

Heavy Metal
04-03-10, 22:26

Live by the sword, die by the sword! Especially when you bring one to a gunfight.

Ark1443
04-03-10, 22:31
NICE.

Very NICE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLIOtBLqoU&feature=related

RudyN
04-03-10, 22:51
At least the perp won't get into anymore trouble.

perna
04-03-10, 23:22
Homeowner needs a gun safe, he could have been killed by his own weapons.

PdxMotoxer
04-03-10, 23:26
The REAL ending to Kill Bill.
(only it's 5mins into the movie and there will be no volume 2)

I also thought of Indie.

I am glad it turned out well for the innocent homeowner and not the other
way around, like you see on TV where the homeowner grabs a golfclub, bat, sword, ect......

markdh720
04-04-10, 01:08
A sword related story:

A couple years back, a couple guys I work with went to a burglary call. When they get there, they find an elderly man choking a middle-aged man who was bleeding everywhere. When all is settled down, it's figured out that the middle-aged guy was a junky burglar who broke into a Veteran's home. The homeowner shot the guy (who had a knife from what I recall) once. When the gun jammed, he picked up a samurai-styled sword and started slicing the shit out of the burglar. When the sword broke, he started choking the guy. The burglar thanked my partners for saving his life, although he eventually sued on a basis unknown to me.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate the elderly, and especially if they are a Veteran.

rrpederson
04-04-10, 08:33
yess!!!

uwe1
04-05-10, 11:22

Hey Irish,

You seem to have convenient access to most of the news regarding home defense shootings. Is there usually any followup as to how many of these justified self-defense shootings result in civil suits?

Irish
04-05-10, 11:49
Hey Irish,

You seem to have convenient access to most of the news regarding home defense shootings. Is there usually any followup as to how many of these justified self-defense shootings result in civil suits?

I honestly have no idea... Typically I just post stuff that's happening in the news and the actual event gets more publicity than the follow up suit if there is one. I'm sure there are a few, maybe more than that, but I'm not too concerned with the lawsuit angle. I'll be honest and admit I don't track down every source or follow up on every single thing I post, if I did I'd never get any of my real work done.
I hope people enjoy reading the self defense threads, learn something from them and feel free to post thoughts, impressions and things of that nature but also try to keep it constructive or at least funny.
A couple reasons I post them... I hope people can learn valuable lessons from other people's mistakes or what they did right in a gun fight or self defense situation. I also think it's important for people to realize how often self defense shootings happen everyday and if you're not prepared you're on the losing end of the equation. I also enjoy reading about people protecting themselves, especially women and older people who are able to level the playing field with the best means of protection in the world.

PdxMotoxer
04-05-10, 12:49
I'm curious to any follow ups also.
I often say with the price of .380 ammo that if i ever HAD
to shoot someone i would have to sue them or their estate for the cost of rounds.

And if inside my home the same goes for clean up.

I mean why should i get stuck wit the bill of the after clean up of them
coming into my home and then after me putting a few HD shotgun sized
holes into them all that blood clean-up.
(i'd add brains but if they are breaking into my home with an armed and trained me, an armed and trained wife, and trained 90# Doberman they must be lacking in the "brains" department)

JonnyVain
04-05-10, 13:55
A sword related story:

A couple years back, a couple guys I work with went to a burglary call. When they get there, they find an elderly man choking a middle-aged man who was bleeding everywhere. When all is settled down, it's figured out that the middle-aged guy was a junky burglar who broke into a Veteran's home. The homeowner shot the guy (who had a knife from what I recall) once. When the gun jammed, he picked up a samurai-styled sword and started slicing the shit out of the burglar. When the sword broke, he started choking the guy. The burglar thanked my partners for saving his life, although he eventually sued on a basis unknown to me.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate the elderly, and especially if they are a Veteran.

So..... where's our 'chart' for swords and handguns?

parishioner
04-05-10, 14:31
I hope people enjoy reading the self defense threads, learn something from them and feel free to post thoughts, impressions and things of that nature but also try to keep it constructive or at least funny.
A couple reasons I post them... I hope people can learn valuable lessons from other people's mistakes or what they did right in a gun fight or self defense situation. I also think it's important for people to realize how often self defense shootings happen everyday and if you're not prepared you're on the losing end of the equation. I also enjoy reading about people protecting themselves, especially women and older people who are able to level the playing field with the best means of protection in the world.

Every time I read Irish's Armed Citizen threads, all I think about is Diane Sawyer's outrageous statement on that 20/20 segment "If I only had a gun" which was "And by the way, if you're wondering where all the studies about the effectiveness of guns used by ordinary Americans for self defense are, well, keep searching. we could not find one reliable study and the ones we found were contradictory." and how spectacular it would be to print and bind all of these stories and mail it to her with a pleasant note containing a few choice words.

uwe1
04-05-10, 17:35
I appreciate your efforts and applaud you for making all of us more aware. I know I have benefited from reading the threads related to this particular subject. My question was just out of curiousity because in the often insane world we live in, the perpetrators of crimes seek to collect damages from the victims. Keep the great work coming.

I honestly have no idea... Typically I just post stuff that's happening in the news and the actual event gets more publicity than the follow up suit if there is one. I'm sure there are a few, maybe more than that, but I'm not too concerned with the lawsuit angle. I'll be honest and admit I don't track down every source or follow up on every single thing I post, if I did I'd never get any of my real work done.

skyugo
04-05-10, 19:05
A sword related story:

way to go on staying in the fight, but man, i won't be buying those shopping channel swords now :D

BrigandTwoFour
04-05-10, 22:14
http://www.albion-swords.com/

One of those next generation lines should work juuuuust fine.

LHS
04-05-10, 23:16
When I was still in college and not allowed to be 'armed', they had a weird exemption for 'theater props' and 'sporting equipment', so I kept a Cold Steel warhammer and a blunted tourney longsword in my dorm room.

Atg336
04-06-10, 18:37
http://www.albion-swords.com/

One of those next generation lines should work juuuuust fine.

I have the Regent (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-regent-xviiia.htm)

I bought it 3-4 years ago when it was $970. I've been using it since then for cut-testing and recently for teaching myself Liechtenauer based European Martial Arts (For all you who are of European decent - this is your long lost historical martial art, and it is being revived recently everywhere, US and Europe. Just as complex and beautiful as any Asian martial arts.)

Excellent companion training along side firearm training: trains your focus and endurance and reaction!

Cannot say how highly I recommend Albion swords. They are quintessentially modern swords that are as good as the ones made hundreds of years ago. (wipes drool)

SO758
04-07-10, 04:41
Gene pool thinned just bit more.