View Full Version : Justice Stevens Says He'll Decide Soon On Retiring

browningboy84
04-03-10, 19:32
What are your thoughts on this?

Dont think this is a good thing at all.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/Supreme-Court-john-paul/2010/04/03/id/354674

BrianS
04-03-10, 20:28
A senile liberal will be replaced by a young liberal. I would be more concerned if Obama was going to get to replace Scalia or even Kennedy who is kinda the swing vote moderate guy right now.

Armati
04-03-10, 21:35
Hopefully, he retires after the Nov elections.

Artos
04-04-10, 08:57
Hopefully, he retires after the Nov elections.

in 2012

kwelz
04-04-10, 09:20
My first thought is that it is Newsmax and therefor suspect.

ForTehNguyen
04-04-10, 09:26
My first thought is that it is Newsmax and therefor suspect.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6321J220100403?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

kwelz
04-04-10, 09:28
Much better, thank you. :D

This isn't good.

ForTehNguyen
04-04-10, 09:55
short term scheme of things wont change much, old liberal for young liberal. But keeping liberals longer on the bench. Hopefully happens after 2010 midterms so it would be harder to nominate them with a slightly changed Senate.

beckman
04-04-10, 09:56
While this might not immediately change the balance of the court, the long-term effect will be pro-liberal. By replacing an old liberal with a young liberal, that "liberal seat" will be more solidly held, and less likely to be "up for grabs" within the next few decades.

It's interesting to note that some of the court's liberal justices were actually nominated by Republican presidents. Stevens was nominated by Ford in 1975, and Souter was nominated by Big Daddy Bush in 1990; both dissented against Heller in 2008. It's no surprise that they were joined by Clinton nominees, Ginsberg and Breyer, in opposition to the Second Ammendment.

Of course, Obama may decide that he will use the Supreme Court nomination to finally fulfill solemn his pledge to be a post partisan president, and pick a Scalia-like judge as an olive branch offerring to the Republicans. With this one move, he may hope to erase all of his previous, far-left policies. I very, very highly doubt it though, and I suspect that he'll pick another activist liberal like Sotomayor.

ForTehNguyen
04-04-10, 10:01
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=azcSsmJTRaPY

April 4 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration, contemplating the possible retirement of U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, is focusing on three candidates to succeed him, a White House official familiar with the deliberations said.

The group includes U.S. Solicitor General Elena Kagan and federal appellate judges Diane Wood and Merrick Garland, the person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Stevens, who will turn 90 on April 20, told the New York Times in an April 2 interview that he will decide soon whether he will step down. “The president and the Senate need plenty of time to fill a vacancy,” Stevens told the newspaper.

-gary
04-04-10, 11:01
Of course, Obama may decide that he will use the Supreme Court nomination to finally fulfill solemn his pledge to be a post partisan president, and pick a Scalia-like judge as an olive branch offerring to the Republicans. With this one move, he may hope to erase all of his previous, far-left policies. I very, very highly doubt it though, and I suspect that he'll pick another activist liberal like Sotomayor.

I wouldn't even use the word doubt in that statement. He will not, period, full-stop, let that seat go to anyone but a flaming liberal. They may seem center on the outside, but they will be all communist on the inside. That is a position that will have a tremendous effect on all law, our everyday lives and even our very freedom for the next four or five decades. He won't let that opportunity slip by nominating anyone that you could even call moderate. The MSM however, will try and pass them off as the greatest centrist that has ever walked the face of the earth.

spr1
04-04-10, 17:06
Agreed. He will fight with every dirty trick possible to build the radical left's strength -for the long term - on the bench. These marxists are playing to win, and will not let any opportunity slip by to remake America into something opposite of the original intent.

browningboy84
04-05-10, 09:05
While this might not immediately change the balance of the court, the long-term effect will be pro-liberal. By replacing an old liberal with a young liberal, that "liberal seat" will be more solidly held, and less likely to be "up for grabs" within the next few decades.

The problem here with the first paragraph that you posted is that a lot of people look at it is that a liberal would be a defeat to the doctrine of "judicial restraint". We already lost one battle with Sotomayor, because we had a chance to put a non-activist judge on the bench, but many Senators let us down. Stevens is a liberal, but this is a chance for a non-activist judge to get on the SCOTUS, and POTUS will try to put a Marxist on the bench, probably one just as anti-gun, liberal, and pro- big government as her, if not worse. Edmund Burke once stated " All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

It's interesting to note that some of the court's liberal justices were actually nominated by Republican presidents. Stevens was nominated by Ford in 1975, and Souter was nominated by Big Daddy Bush in 1990; both dissented against Heller in 2008. It's no surprise that they were joined by Clinton nominees, Ginsberg and Breyer, in opposition to the Second Ammendment.

I am not trying to pick on anyone, and I am not a lawyer. I am a paramedic, and I am tired of seeing my tax dollars going out in entitlements to folks who wont try to help themselves. You dont make the weak strong by making the strong weaker, but that is what the politicians are doing. They are quickly becoming the elite with their big government, and eroding the middle class away. It is sad what is happenning to our country, and the apathy about it by many Americans scares me.

Palmguy
04-05-10, 09:24
Of course, Obama may decide that he will use the Supreme Court nomination to finally fulfill solemn his pledge to be a post partisan president, and pick a Scalia-like judge as an olive branch offerring to the Republicans. With this one move, he may hope to erase all of his previous, far-left policies.

Personally, I place the probability of that playing out slightly lower than that of a legion of rainbow unicorns all with Richard Simmons' head flying outside my office window during a solar eclipse at the exact moment as Halley's comet next perigee.

That's just me though :cool:

Palmguy
05-10-10, 21:39
Personally, I place the probability of that playing out slightly lower than that of a legion of rainbow unicorns all with Richard Simmons' head flying outside my office window during a solar eclipse at the exact moment as Halley's comet next perigee.

That's just me though :cool:

Prediction fulfilled ;) :(