PDA

View Full Version : University BOB

Tom Swift
04-04-10, 12:07
Okay so next year I'll be hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away from home at University. I'll be living in residence for my first year so firearms will have to stay at home. I may be able to keep a Short Barrel Shotgun at a trusted licensed friends who lives close by should Shit Really Hit The Fan. The residence has gone as far as saying no "hunting knives" as a part of their contract policy, I'll have most of my range gear with me as I plan to join a local range and hopefully befriend some of the regulars. I also hope to be in the Army Reserves by that time.

The city I will be living in and going to school in has a huge criminal underground and the province in general is well known throughout North America for activities in the manufacturing and distribution of drugs. I'll be living close to downtown which is supposably somewhat safer then other areas where criminal activity is very common. The province recently banned Body Armour although there is no way such a piece of legislation could withstand a charter challenge. Area is right on the coast and occasionally has earth quakes.

Basically though I'm trying to build an Emergency SHTF BOB. I've been looking at the ATS Cobra Pack I like the size and style and can be easily tossed in the back of my closet or under the bed for when I need it. This isn't really a long term BOB or have anything with long term sustainability in mind just a get out of dodge type thing. I won't have a car just a BMX bike to get around town.

Thought maybe some people on here might have some more input as to what I should put in this bag and limit myself to.

List so Far:
First Aid Kit
MRE's
Water
Batteries
Flashlight

Cheers,
TS

P.S. My EDC will usually be (Can't carry firearms in the Communist Republic of Kanada)
Blackberry
CRKT Folder
Surefire E2D
Elastic Band w/Cards & Cash

Audacia77
04-04-10, 13:30
Going into the reserves may present some additional options regarding storage of equipment. I'm not referring to hijacking a tank or raiding the arms room. :rolleyes: I do not know how the reserve units in Canada, but my unit had a barracks and we had the option of bunking during drill weekends. We had assigned rooms and it was a good place to store issued gear. That would be a good place to stage some of those items forbidden on campus. Also, you may be able to use the unit arms room to store your personal firearms if you have any. You can always have it issued back to you when you need it or if/when you see the storm brewing.

ATS makes some good, solid gear and I have been happy with all the gear I've purchased from them. But, IMO going the tactical bag route may draw the wrong type of attention. Just food for thought.

As far as the BOB goes, that's asking what kind of beer guys like. It varies on taste and needs. Take a good look at a map, come up with your routes, measure your distances, view what resources may be available on these routes and base your needs off of that. You'll definitely want to keep it as light as possible, but IMO, considering the distance you need to travel, look in to a means of filtering water. Another recommendation are some "Emergency Ration" bars. It's 72hrs worth of food and about the size two packs of cigarettes.

As far as a bicycle goes, put some thought into that. Not saying it is a bad idea. It sure as hell beats walking. But, consider some of the drawbacks and possible ways to counter them. You surroundings will change a lot quicker than if you were walking and you wouldn't have the protection and power an automobile would provide. Instead of blowing down a trail, you may want to stop before bends in the road to scout them for traffic or potential ambushes. Spare Parts?

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

ST911
04-05-10, 10:11
University environments will usually dictate that something is discreet. The Cobra pack is GTG, but is not anything resembling discreet.

The packing list is highly personal, subject to the usual variables in bugging-in vs. bugging-out, likely circumstances, your resources/knowledge/abilities, etc.

With the exception of you being in Canada and possibly having some additional limitations/legal consideration, your needs aren't unlike everyone else's in the other BOB threads. Try the "get home" kit thread.

fixer
04-06-10, 09:16
i'm not familar with the pack, but judging from the two previous responses, i gather that it's some kind of "tactical" pack.

not the best idea for use at the university. noting camo, noting that "looks" military. still plenty of options available.

as far as the "no HUNTING knives goes... that's fairly easy to skirt. there's a number of blades that are designed for "rescue" work, for example the Cold Steel SRK. stands for "Survival Rescue Knife and IIRC, it says so right on their website and in their catalog. IIRC, Buck or Gerber has a folder with red scales, a seat belt cutter and oxygen bottle wrench built into it, along with a point for busting out car windows. again, NOT a HUNTING knife. just don't ever, never say"this knife? it's not for HUNTING, this is for KILLING!" that answer will NOT win any points! :rolleyes:

perhaps a footlocker to store some spare canned goods in. there are plenty of events that do NOT require you to go ANYWHERE, especially if you have battery powered lights, some way to warm up food and heat water and a battery powered radio.

about the BMX bike... i'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam. i haven't fit on a BMX bike since i was about 7yo. i'd want a decent MTB. a good range of gears for hills, headwinds and for just when you're tired. a good lock or two to SECURE the bike so it doesn't turn up MIA. spare tubes, patch kit, pump, some basic tools (a bicycle doesn't need a big toolkit) and lube for the chain.

here in the states, you couldn't leave a SBS at a friend's unless it was registered to a trust and both of you were listed on the trust. i have no clue about a SBS in the great white north.

IF it's allowed up there... you might consider some OC pepper spray. if that's verboten because it's for use on people (OMG! :eek: )... just get a can of bear spray... yaknow, for when there's an angry grizz rampaging on campus. can't be too safe!:D

your range gear should probably be kept locked up. just in case someone you wouldn't approve of gets access to your room. is ammo allowed on campus? if not... another reason to keep your range gear locked up... just in case someone finds a stray round... or an empty case :eek: in the kit. :rolleyes:

Luckystiff
04-06-10, 10:51
I can not speak to your campus but I can speak to the campus I work on in the USA. The campus Police Dept. has a full blown emergency contingency plan for SHTF. The campus has several LARGE generators and about two weeks worth of fuel on site. Campus dining has been rolled into the plan as well. We are set to sit tight, lock it down and provide basic services long enough for additional resources to reach us. That being said, I would not trust my life to others. When you get to campus ask the campus cops what the basic plans are for a natural disaster (earthquake). You may get attention that you do not want if you start asking about active shooter/civil unrest related issues.

Your backpack should be very civilian. Go to a hiking/camping store and find one that works for you. Look at the CamelBak packs as well as they have built in H2O bladders. Get a filter for your bladder and/or a filtration system pump with extra filters. Clean drinking water is a necessity so take the time to prepare. Look to the Katrina aftermath for ideas as to what you may need.

Along with your med kit make sure you get training on how to use it. Campus health departments often offer free or low cost first aid training. Ask them about a volunteer program with the local hospital. Once in the program ask about EMT or other training they offer.

Have a multi-tool or two or three. You can often find cheap ones for sale. Buy a few and stash them in various locations. If it gets lost of stolen so what, you have several.

Sandwich bags and ½ size sandwich bags have lots of uses and are good enough at keeping contents dry. What ever tools you identify as essential (SF flashlight, knife or multi-tool) have two or more of each stored in separate areas that should be accessible to you. Anything that is electrical is not going to be available unless you have a way of recharging them. Several companies make solar battery chargers. You may want to look them or save the money and just write them off of your list. Have spare batteries and bulbs or go LED.

How cold does it get where you are going to live? When the power goes out can you stay warm? Under Armor cold gear can be worn under clothing and is very comfortable. A good sleeping bag comes to mind as well. Spend the extra $ to get one that is warm enough yet is as small as possible so you can lash it to your pack if you need to leave or relocate.

Look to clothing that is fast drying and multi-use. Pants that zips off into shorts for example if it is hot during the day yet colder at night.

Toss in personal hygiene items as well with your kit, a supply of multivitamins and any meds you take. Baby wipes are cheep and are available in various sized containers.

Ditch the BMX and get a decent mountain bike and then learn to use it. Many campuses have mountain bike clubs, join it and train if this is your primary mode of transportation.

Keep you plans to yourself. The tallest nail gets hit first so keep a low profile with this stuff. Your interests are camping and mountain biking. Both activities roll nicely into your survival planning.

ST911
04-06-10, 11:06
I don't know about Canadian universities, but messenger bags are hugely popular down here. Walking down hallways and streets on campuses, I see more students and faculty with them than without them. Those that had something else had a backpack.

I use an Eagle LE Courier bag, which can carry quite a bit of stuff if you pack smart. You might also check out the Maxpedition Gleneagle and Larkspur. My Eagle E&E bag has also been a great bag, but is enough smaller that you can't keep a laptop or school books in it.

I use one of my AIII packs on campus if I need a backpack. No patches or velcro, non-mil colors. I've been meaning to get a DAP pack, too, for something a little smaller.

While I think of it, also take a look at the Eagle discreet carry backpack, as well as the Crossover pack, for a totally non-mil look.

Tom Swift
04-14-10, 13:36
Thanks for all the insight guys, definitely given me a lot to think about. I'm not overly worried about "Tactical Bags" they're pretty normal here and now one bats an eye when it comes to the ACU PALS webbed backpacks from the local Mountain Equipment Co-Op, by that time I'll hopefully be in the CF, I'll definitely look for a grey man bag when it comes down to it.

Going to talk to a couple recruiters for Reserves this week, once I get the ball rolling I'll ask about personal firearm storage. I'm also going to look at getting a storage unit when I get their for storing my motorcycle in the few bad months of the year and could serve double duty should it be needed.

I might go with a bike for the first couple months but I'm hoping to pick up a Ninja 250 Motorcycle their then after a couple years upgrade to a 600 so transportation along highways and hard packed roads will be go to go.

tc556guy
05-01-10, 09:25
I can not speak to your campus but I can speak to the campus I work on in the USA. The campus Police Dept. has a full blown emergency contingency plan for SHTF. .

Interesting. I have three colleges/ universities in my town, and as far as I've ever heard from their officers, none of them has such a plan. Is your schools plan in writing and something that can be shared?