PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X300 vs Streamlight Which weapon light? Where to mount it?

alfred10
04-04-10, 16:13
I am looking for a super duty light to put on my patrol rifle. How does streamlight compare to surefire for hard use? I have the Streamlight TLRs on my personel weapon but want one for work. What other options are there that are better than these two? Has Streamlight met the same level of durability as Surefire?

I have my Streamlight TLRs on the left gas tube rail of my ak. I am a righty shooter and it tends to light up my sites and blind the enemy. Is there a better place to mount a light?

http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=178

Pathfinder Ops
04-04-10, 17:49
I run the stream light on my RRA at 6 o'clock.

I will be changing that soon to a 12 o'clock position.

I like the light and it's price was right. I've had it on my primary rig and I've put that through some hard training in 4 seasons of weather without any problems.

TehLlama
04-04-10, 21:39
I've got a TLR-1 (C4 Cree) and a few X300's. I do prefer the X300's for rifle mounting because of the momentary ability pushing inward, and it's very slightly lower stance under the front iron sight. The U/P attachment is good, but could be better.

The TLR-1 is a much, much better value. Brightness is pretty much equivalent, battery life is good, durability isn't an issue. changing batteries is more complicated, but the switching has some definite advantages. At half the price, I see no reason not to get one. At most, you lose a dozen bucks reselling it.

As far as mounting locations - I really prefer 12:00, though other guys seem to get by using 3:00 or 9:00 mountings with them. With the AFG, it seems to work very well for me up top, just in front of the front sight.

Bimmer
04-05-10, 00:28
Another TLR-1 at 12 o'clock here...

Bimmer

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-10, 11:52
I currently have a Streamlight TLR-1 that I keep on my "night stand" gun a G17. I also mount it to my my Colt via a Troy MRF-C at the 3 o'clock. The more that I read from "dialed in" end users the more I hear about problems with the Streamlights an Insight lights. There are several threads on this forum that hint to this but no one has elaborated on the matter. Several Industry Professionals and Subject Matter Experts are who I am referring too.

I still want to know what problems have been encountered with the Streamlights and Insights as they are easier on the wallet than the Surefires. I was looking at getting an M3X from Insight until I came across some of the comments that I mentioned above. So if anyone could inpart their experiances with us Streamlight / Insight owners it would greatly appreciated.

C4IGrant
04-05-10, 11:58
X300 is a better made product with better options (like pressure pad rail mounts and switches).

C4

Lee Indy
04-05-10, 12:50
X300 is a better made product with better options (like pressure pad rail mounts and switches).

C4

tlr 1 has a remote switch too

C4IGrant
04-05-10, 13:05
tlr 1 has a remote switch too

Yep, but they are not the same quality as the SF ones.

C4

Pathfinder Ops
04-05-10, 20:14
Yep, but they are not the same quality as the SF ones.

C4

I have 1 of each of the lights mentioned. Both running on pressure pads and neither stands out as better than the other. Regardless of the conditions or evolutions I have taken them through over the years.

Therefore; for me it's a wash coming down to size/ cost.

This is the only place i can separate them and truth be told size diff is not even all that much of a factor...... so $$$$ becomes the real point.

C4IGrant
04-05-10, 20:24
I have 1 of each of the lights mentioned. Both running on pressure pads and neither stands out as better than the other. Regardless of the conditions or evolutions I have taken them through over the years.

Therefore; for me it's a wash coming down to size/ cost.

This is the only place i can separate them and truth be told size diff is not even all that much of a factor...... so $$$$ becomes the real point.

Unless something has changed recently, I have never seen a Streamlight switch (XT, SR, DG Style) match up in quality to SF's options.

The locking system the TLR uses is suspect as well IMHO. We see them shoot off in classes often.

C4

alfred10
04-05-10, 21:04
How do you mount a tac light in 12 o clock position and still use your sights?

Bimmer
04-05-10, 21:14

Mine's on a barrel-mounted bit of rail, just in front of the FSB. The line of sight is well above the flashlight.

There's a photo thread of flashlight mounts here somewhere, and some people have used Hahn mounts to do something similar...

Bimmer

TehLlama
04-05-10, 22:16
DG Switch >> any ITI or streamlight options. I have an old one that's seen much abuse, still fantastic. The attachment options are also very nice, I prefer the U/P system for how I use my X300's.
There's no argument that the X300 is a better light... is it twice as good for guys on a budget? For a lot of guys, that's a no.

I'm very curious about how the TLR's would shoot loose - not much of an issue for a HD weapon, but I'm amazed they didn't recycle and improve the older rail grabber for a better result.

Bimmer
04-05-10, 22:24
I'm very curious about how the TLR's would shoot loose...

I'm curious about this, too.

I can imagine that the coin-slot screw could loosen itself, but I have a hard time imagining that the entire light would fall off the rail...

Grant, can you enlighten us, please?

Bimmer

Lee Indy
04-05-10, 22:37
operator error.

i wont buy into the surefire hype. they make a good light dont get me wrong but the amount of money they charge is not worth the antiquated technology.

Pathfinder Ops
04-06-10, 06:47
operator error.

i wont buy into the surefire hype. they make a good light dont get me wrong but the amount of money they charge is not worth the antiquated technology.

Bingo!

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 08:18

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%20Custom%20Builds/105_N4_DD_SBR3.jpg

C4

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 08:21
operator error.

I would actually look at it the other way. I don't buy SL's hype. They rarely post lumens ratings and if you read flashlight geek forums, their rating are always over the top. SureFire always under rates their lumen output.

It is true that SF products are expensive, but if you find the right dealer that offers discounts, it isn't so bad.

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

C4

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 08:23
DG Switch >> any ITI or streamlight options. I have an old one that's seen much abuse, still fantastic. The attachment options are also very nice, I prefer the U/P system for how I use my X300's.
There's no argument that the X300 is a better light... is it twice as good for guys on a budget? For a lot of guys, that's a no.

I'm very curious about how the TLR's would shoot loose - not much of an issue for a HD weapon, but I'm amazed they didn't recycle and improve the older rail grabber for a better result.

I do think that the TLR-1 is a good bugdet oriented light.

If you are going to shoot say a low light class and you don't loctite the screw on the TRL-1, you have a good chance of seeing it in the dirt.

Loctiting it of course fixes the mount issue, but if you need to get the light off in a hurry, you might have just screwed yourself.

C4

Lee Indy
04-07-10, 00:28
I would actually look at it the other way. I don't buy SL's hype. They rarely post lumens ratings and if you read flashlight geek forums, their rating are always over the top. SureFire always under rates their lumen output.

It is true that SF products are expensive, but if you find the right dealer that offers discounts, it isn't so bad.

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

C4

actually there not. streamlight has a habit of under rating there lumens. i dont buy into either of there hype really because they both use old tech and new tech prices. show me one surfire that can compete with jet beam for options and price and quality. the only reason i own a tlr-1 is because there isnt alot of people that make them. infact streamlight has two up on the x300 now with strobe and price. and for every surefire discount there is a SL discount too. for a rifle light i wouldnt touch either brand because they are over priced and deleiver sub par preformance.

show me a surefire that puts out 220 lumens on high runs for 3 hrs and has infinite adjustability, a strobe and a beacon all in a G2 size light and surefire will charge 1300 dollars for it............no thanks. they are a victim of there own hype kind of like harley.

nickdrak
04-07-10, 01:22
I prefer the standard switch on the X300 due to the simple push momentary on activation far more than the toggle-on momentary switch on the TLR-1. The X300 is also lower profile which is a plus when mounting it in the 12 o'clock position.

Im not a fan of the mounting screw on the TLR either.

Having a strobe feature on a rifle mounted light doesnt float my boat so I dont see it as a plus for the TLR-1. A light on a rifle is for target ID, not for disco.

TehLlama
04-07-10, 01:26
I wouldn't say SF is into its own hype: their QC is still top notch, and for people who can spare the cash and don't have the option to buy twice, it is THE option. As such, they can price items higher, and then dump that money into R&D for new shiny items.

As such, almost all my weaponlights are Surefire (with the exception of one homebuilt CREE unit on my .22 conveted rifle, AND, the TLR-1 that lives on my wife's HD Pistol).
Anything that isn't subjected to recoil - it's something much more affordable.

I'd rather this thread not become a pissing match: for most applications the X300 is better. For the price, the TLR-1 C4 is unbeatable.

rob_s
04-07-10, 07:23
If Surefire is like Harley, Streamlight is like Ford and GM: wrapping up a sub-standard product in trinkets and other distractions. :P

I don't know why everyone always gets to rabid about these threads (well, yes I do, but that doesn't mean I understand it). The activation and the mounting method on the Surefire are better IMHO. If I want those features I have to pay for that product. Yes, they are that much better that I'm willing to pay it. It is REALLY a big deal to me on the handgun, and having the identical activation on the pistol and the rifle matters to me. I buy less expensive X200s for training to lower some of that extra cost.

I have a TLR1. I even did a comparison of the two on my site (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/106721.html). I by no means dislike the TLR1, but I don't know how anyone can hold the two products in their hand, use the two, and (factoring out cost) think the TLR1 is a better product. Conversely, I TOTALLY understand why some folks will put cost at the top of their priority list and instead prefer the TLR1.

In general, every time I stray from SF to one of these other companies thinking "oh, this will be just as goo (or better) and cost me half as much" I wind up disappointed. YMMV

Rated21R
04-07-10, 07:37
bottom line, go with what works for you. it seems these threads always follow the same flow that the M&P/Glock threads do. to each their own. ymmv. whatever you want to choose.

C4IGrant
04-07-10, 08:51
actually there not. streamlight has a habit of under rating there lumens. i dont buy into either of there hype really because they both use old tech and new tech prices. show me one surfire that can compete with jet beam for options and price and quality. the only reason i own a tlr-1 is because there isnt alot of people that make them. infact streamlight has two up on the x300 now with strobe and price. and for every surefire discount there is a SL discount too. for a rifle light i wouldnt touch either brand because they are over priced and deleiver sub par preformance.

show me a surefire that puts out 220 lumens on high runs for 3 hrs and has infinite adjustability, a strobe and a beacon all in a G2 size light and surefire will charge 1300 dollars for it............no thanks. they are a victim of there own hype kind of like harley.

If SL is underestimating their lumens output, that would be news to me. I have been around SL for more than 10yrs and have never seen them do that. I hear that their CS and reliability are improving, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from when I used to stock them in our store.

I have not looked at the new SLR-1 with the C4 LED. From reading various forums, it looks like they have improved their LED capability a lot.

For me, it comes down to engineering/design of the X300. I like the ease of attachment, battery installation and the "push" activation (pushing the activation switch into the light vs. rotating the paddles of the switch around an central axis that aligns with the center line of the light).

Strobe is great (if you like it). I have found that a strobe feature (in a shoot house environment) can disorient and make it harder to ID targets rapibly (compared to standard light). YMMV.

C4

subzero
04-07-10, 11:09
I even did a comparison of the two on my site (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/106721.html).

What I've never seen is a comparison in the throw and cone between an X300/X200B and a TLR-1. In addition to attachment method, switching and cost, this is one of the most important criteria (IMO) in choosing a light. There's a great thread here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10389&highlight=x300+comparison) comparing all the Surefire X series, but nothing for the TLR-1.

C4IGrant
04-07-10, 12:02
I prefer the standard switch on the X300 due to the simple push momentary on activation far more than the toggle-on momentary switch on the TLR-1. The X300 is also lower profile which is a plus when mounting it in the 12 o'clock position.

Im not a fan of the mounting screw on the TLR either.

Having a strobe feature on a rifle mounted light doesnt float my boat so I dont see it as a plus for the TLR-1. A light on a rifle is for target ID, not for disco.

"Not for Disco." I like that.

In shoot house environments (where I have to ID targets before I can shoot them), the strobe does NOT help with this and if anything makes it much more difficult IMHO.

C4

C4IGrant
04-07-10, 12:04
What I've never seen is a comparison in the throw and cone between an X300/X200B and a TLR-1. In addition to attachment method, switching and cost, this is one of the most important criteria (IMO) in choosing a light. There's a great thread here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10389&highlight=x300+comparison) comparing all the Surefire X series, but nothing for the TLR-1.

The X200A gives you throw. The X200B gives you width. The X300 gives you both.

The X200's are no longer made (FYI).

C4

nickdrak
04-07-10, 12:35
"Not for Disco." I like that.

In shoot house environments (where I have to ID targets before I can shoot them), the strobe does NOT help with this and if anything makes it much more difficult IMHO.

C4

Yeah, while a strobe feature on a hand held light may have some utility for some very specific circumstances, I havent found one where it is practical for me. Demonstrating the disorienting ability of a strobe under controlled circumstances in a training environment is one thing, using it efficiently in a stressful Shoot/No Shoot situation is a completely diffrent thing that I think only adds to the stress & complexity of the situation.

rob_s
04-07-10, 15:43

I'm trying to get my hands on a "B". People seem to think now that they are out of production they are worth something more. :rolleyes:

Lee Indy
04-07-10, 17:39
either way the bottom line is price. ill take the pepsi challenge any day against surefire. be it my my jet beam mounted on a rifle or my tlr-1s on my G19. i will agree that the switch system on the x300 is nice but they dont offer the strobe. say what you will about strobe but use it one time in a force on force situation and I became a believer. strobe isnt the ideal for every situation but its nice to have the option. the point is that surefire is over priced. sugar coat it any way you want and justify it with QC or CS you paid to much for a technology that is old. all surefire has to do is update there PWS boards and use top of the line emitters ( surefire uses the crappy ones) and they would be a contender for my dollar. i have yet to see a light offered by them that even peaks my interest. the first thing they need to do is support rechargeables. but thell never due that cause they would cut there Chinese made battery sales.

rob_s
04-07-10, 17:54
either way the bottom line is price.

you really didn't need to post anything else after that.

Bottom line for YOU is price.

Lee Indy
04-07-10, 18:01
id pay the extra if they offered anything worth it. out put = same. run time = same.
everything else is cosmetic. if you prefer push to toggle and its worth 150 more to you by all means do what you wanna do. but any one who says price doesnt matter needs to make my broke ass a loan.

C4IGrant
04-07-10, 21:15
either way the bottom line is price. ill take the pepsi challenge any day against surefire. be it my my jet beam mounted on a rifle or my tlr-1s on my G19. i will agree that the switch system on the x300 is nice but they dont offer the strobe. say what you will about strobe but use it one time in a force on force situation and I became a believer. strobe isnt the ideal for every situation but its nice to have the option. the point is that surefire is over priced. sugar coat it any way you want and justify it with QC or CS you paid to much for a technology that is old. all surefire has to do is update there PWS boards and use top of the line emitters ( surefire uses the crappy ones) and they would be a contender for my dollar. i have yet to see a light offered by them that even peaks my interest. the first thing they need to do is support rechargeables. but thell never due that cause they would cut there Chinese made battery sales.

Yes, for you it is price. The switching options (XT, DG and push to activate) are very important to me. How it attaches to the rail also matter greatly.

The strobe can work in FOF because everyone is a bad guy. Run it in a shoot house (live fire) where you have to pick and choose targets. Different ball game I think.

None of the best instructors in world (Vickers, Hackathorn to name a few) use any SL products. This is commonly referred to as a clue.

C4

Lee Indy
04-08-10, 00:04
id like to point out i never said surefire was an inferior product just that its price is overly inflated.

04-08-10, 09:04
the first thing they need to do is support rechargeables. but thell never due that cause they would cut there Chinese made battery sales.

I'm not sure where you heard otherwise, but Surefire CR123A cells are made in the USA.

TehLlama
04-08-10, 13:16
I don't doubt that SureFire could make X300's for $150 - but we'd be looking at shortages of them, and the pricing would compete with the 6V LED models paired with mounts - why bother with that if they're selling almost all they can make at $200.

Light output isn't critical - between 100 and 150 lumens will get the job done, run time is good for both. The attachment, switching, and overall form is the difference.

The X300's are twice the price, but for most applications that $100 difference isn't as big when compared to the whole weapon system. Anything with a rail to mount the X300 is going to set you back at least $500, night capable optics/sights another $100. On a day/night rifle, it's twice that.

The price difference is tangible, but for rifle applications it's easier to bury that price difference.
For the same reason Kia makes and sells cars, people living in the real world may not be able to afford all the toys they want. The SL line fills this gap, but a lot of people go with the cheaper option just to save a buck expecting the same thing for half the price.

For something that will have the mount permanently on, or low round count is expected, the TLR-1 delivers. Otherwise, X300.

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 13:37
I don't doubt that SureFire could make X300's for $150 - but we'd be looking at shortages of them, and the pricing would compete with the 6V LED models paired with mounts - why bother with that if they're selling almost all they can make at $200.

Light output isn't critical - between 100 and 150 lumens will get the job done, run time is good for both. The attachment, switching, and overall form is the difference.

The X300's are twice the price, but for most applications that $100 difference isn't as big when compared to the whole weapon system. Anything with a rail to mount the X300 is going to set you back at least $500, night capable optics/sights another $100. On a day/night rifle, it's twice that.

The price difference is tangible, but for rifle applications it's easier to bury that price difference.
For the same reason Kia makes and sells cars, people living in the real world may not be able to afford all the toys they want. The SL line fills this gap, but a lot of people go with the cheaper option just to save a buck expecting the same thing for half the price.

For something that will have the mount permanently on, or low round count is expected, the TLR-1 delivers. Otherwise, X300.

Generally speaking 65 Lumens will do the job. Some will even argue that anything over 80 lumens (in a CQB environment) is too much.

For a lot of us that have been into combat type flashlights for a long time, SL always have a very bad taste associated with it. Their M3's series was the main reason I think. I think it is hard for a lot of people to get over their bad reputation of poor quality, inflated Lumens ratings and bad CS.

C4

d90king
04-08-10, 13:58
Quality products always cost more than "cheaper" alternatives. In my experience there are some things that you can skimp on...

IMHO, anything to do with weapons that might be used to save your life are not the places to try and save a buck and take a chance... For a range toy (if your into those types of weapons) who cares... On a SD/HD weapon I'll pass.

orionz06
04-08-10, 19:20
Yes, for you it is price. The switching options (XT, DG and push to activate) are very important to me. How it attaches to the rail also matter greatly.

The strobe can work in FOF because everyone is a bad guy. Run it in a shoot house (live fire) where you have to pick and choose targets. Different ball game I think.

None of the best instructors in world (Vickers, Hackathorn to name a few) use any SL products. This is commonly referred to as a clue.

C4

On that note, grabbed my X300 on the way home from work. Toying with both was enough for me to get pissed off with the SL. If the idea is to have everything quick release, why do I wanna fool with screws and crap to remove it if I need to?

My regular guy mindset also liked the momentary switch of the X300 muuuuuch better.

Long story short, I have another surefire and I know it will work. Not that the SL wouldnt, but the X300 will.

Lee Indy
04-09-10, 03:29
why would you need a quick release on a pistol light?

rob_s
04-09-10, 04:48

Why wouldn't you? :p

orionz06
04-09-10, 05:10

On the off chance that I need to remove it for any reason, from any weapon, I can. If all goes well, I will never need to remove it from any weapon, but if I have to, I will be glad I spent the extra money to get the SF.

C4IGrant
04-09-10, 08:23

Easy. I need a handheld. I need to mount it on my rifle. It broke and I need to get it off and replace it. My holster does not accept a weaponlight so I have to take it off before re-holstering (which is common for a lot of cops).

The reasons are endless. Remember that options are always good. ;)

C4

RogerinTPA
04-09-10, 10:00
I have a few of each, for both pistols and ARs. The edge goes to the X300, with it's slimmer profile, lighter weight and momentary switch, it is the best of the two, for running a light at the 12 O'Clock position on an AR. I have no real issues with either, but for the budget minded AR enthusiast (I look at it the same way I decided on the clear glass Meopta 1-4 vs the ShortDot), the Streamlight is the poor man's version of the X300, it gets the job done at half the price.

Surf
04-11-10, 02:33
I have a few of each, for both pistols and ARs. The edge goes to the X300, with it's slimmer profile, lighter weight and momentary switch, it is the best of the two, for running a light at the 12 O'Clock position on an AR. I have no real issues with either, but for the budget minded AR enthusiast (I look at it the same way I decided on the clear glass Meopta 1-4 vs the ShortDot), the Streamlight is the poor man's version of the X300, it gets the job done at half the price.Agreed.

I will admit that I am a big Surefire fan and I run X300's on my working weapons. However I do run several TLR1's and a couple TLR1S's. No doubt Surefire construction is superior and a better overall switch and I am also a big fan of a push momentary. The Surefire does leave more wiggle room around the front sights at a 12 O'clock mount but this isn't that big of a deal. I do like the mount of the Surefire better, but with nothing more than a shell casing, I can tighten or loosen the Streamlight to endure several thousands of rounds without coming lose. The Surefire is indeed better engineered and manufactured, no argument about that one period.

However..........I really do like the TLR series. Side by side the TLR1C4 has a whiter light than my X300's, the X300's seems brighter but I believe that is because the beam or throw of the light is narrower. All in all, the light output is far far more than adequate on both lights so that is a wash IMO. I do like the whiter light of the TLR1. While I like the Surefire switch better, the SL is still a very good option. Actually on my favorite Streamlight mounted AR/M4, I run a 12.0 DD Omega X, where I have a 12 O'clock mount of the TLR1 forward enough of the front sight post that I can use a "C" clamp grip between the TLR1 and the FSP (yes I get that far out on my grip). I can actually manipulate the TLR1 just as easy as the X300 in this fashion in a momentary mode by slightly rocking my "C" clamp thumb slightly upward.

As for the strobe feature, it is a good thing. On the TLR1's you don't need to use it, but it is there, if you wish. We should not be searching or conducting movement with the strobe feature. This should be done with intermittent flashing techniques at the most. The strobe has a distinct use and these are not some of them. We also need to consider that for some people, the strobe has just as negative effects on the user even when the light is not shining directly our own eyes.

All in all, with many run time hours and thousands of rounds through the TLR lights, I have no problems saying that they are indeed very good and very capable lights. Factor in the cost when you can get 2 TLR1's for the price of an X300 and it is hard to not like what you get in the TLR light.

Lee Indy
04-11-10, 02:46
excellent comparison

CLHC
04-15-10, 19:20
SF.X300@12:00

2ndAmend22
04-18-10, 23:25
Just an FYI Combat Arms Magazine's current issue compares all of the above I just picked up a copy.

LRChops
07-30-10, 16:21
Yeah, while a strobe feature on a hand held light may have some utility for some very specific circumstances, I havent found one where it is practical for me. Demonstrating the disorienting ability of a strobe under controlled circumstances in a training environment is one thing, using it efficiently in a stressful Shoot/No Shoot situation is a completely diffrent thing that I think only adds to the stress & complexity of the situation.

I agree!! I have used the TRL-1s during many range training excercises and live building entries. The strobe is distracting to the operator and the team. It is useless. Steady white light is the only way to go for those doing building entries and room clearing. Lasers are the same way. They place the operator at a disadvantage becuase they force your attention and focus towards a red dot. Useless to law enforcement. Great for military to mark a target.

Strobes are uncomfortable to use in a real life high risk entry, they disorient the target and everyone else!

Dennis
07-30-10, 18:08
Just an FYI Combat Arms Magazine's current issue compares all of the above I just picked up a copy.

If it's the copy with the new LMT .308 MWS on the cover then I would be careful with the flashlight review. The writer got a couple obvious features wrong, didn't even have a couple of the lights, and I thought showed an overall lack of care and detail.

Dennis.

usmcvet
09-27-10, 11:31
Unless something has changed recently, I have never seen a Streamlight switch (XT, SR, DG Style) match up in quality to SF's options.

The locking system the TLR uses is suspect as well IMHO. We see them shoot off in classes often.

C4

+3 on the TLR1's flying off guns during training. We had three different officers launch their TLR1's during their draw this past spring. We are in the process of replacing the TLR1'a with X300's.

As hard as I have tried not to bugger the screw on the TLR1's during instalation and removal I always manage to bugger it up. I am not sure what they were going for with the screw attachment but you can not get a screw driver to properly fit the head. A coin works best but slips too.

C4IGrant
09-27-10, 11:34
+3 on the TLR1's flying off guns during training. We had three different officers launch their TLR1's during their draw this past spring. We are in the process of replacing the TLR1'a with X300's.

As hard as I have tried not to bugger the screw on the TLR1's during instalation and removal I always manage to bugger it up. I am not sure what they were going for with the screw attachment but you can not get a screw driver to properly fit the head. A coin works best but slips too.

Shocker there. My favorite is when they fly off the pistol, are going down range and get shot. :haha:

C4

usmcvet
09-27-10, 18:53
Shocker there. My favorite is when they fly off the pistol, are going down range and get shot. :haha:

C4

I am not sure what was funnier the look on the shooters face or the light flying through the air. That same day TWO of my guys put magazines in their AR's backwards. I still don't know how that happened.

notofnow
10-03-10, 18:24
I'm just a regular joe that wanted a decent light for my pistol next to the bed. I got the Streamlight and I'm quite happy with it and the amount i paid. I've taken it to the range and it never fell off, I can either use the strobe or not and the off/on switch is easy to use so it's all good.

If it ever looks like i'm going to get into a situation where hundreds of rounds will be expended, i'll call the pros and hopefully guys with Surefires will show up. :big_boss:

BTW: I've got a surefire on my AR and i like it too. I'm just trying to be a smart**s.

cj5_dude
10-03-10, 19:13
The new Streamlights do have a strobe feature, but I personally feel that it's too complicated to be useful. You need to push twice rapidly on the switch and then hold it there. Try doing that in a high stress situation, I don't think it'll happen.

I'm a bit of a Surefire snob and every gun I carry on duty has a SF light of some sort on it (except my backup). I wouldn't ever buy anything else.

LMTRocks
10-04-10, 00:41
What kind of round count should I expect to go through to get my TLR-1 to fly off my AR?

usmcvet
10-04-10, 06:13
What kind of round count should I expect to go through to get my TLR-1 to fly off my AR?

My guys lights flew off during their draw from the holster. We shot close to 1,000 rounds in two days with hundreds of draws. Far from normal/real life. I doubt you would see one fly off an AR. Make sure it is tight after you shoot it/clean it and you should be good to go.