PDA

View Full Version : AR Auto/SBR Tax Stamp?

Shihan
04-28-07, 03:14
Hello if I went the NFA route and registered a auto carbine would I be go to go if it was SBR's or would I have to do two stamps?

Thanks

Derek_Connor
04-28-07, 05:20
Hello if I went the NFA route and registered a auto carbine would I be go to go if it was SBR's or would I have to do two stamps?

Thanks

Thats a tough question, the automatic/machine gun *should* already be registered, unless your a class1/2 manufacturer? Or do you mean purchasing an auto sear or an already registered machine gun?

To anwer the end question though, if a rifle(regardless of barrel length) is registered as a machine gun, you do not have to have another stamp if the barrel length falls below 16inches.

For example, if you have an auto-sear registered into an AR15 lower, you can put any length upper on that lower without worrying about registering each upper falling underneath 16inches.

Shihan
04-28-07, 23:43
Im going to be ordering a AR either piston 10.5 inch or a 14.5 non piston from one of my distributors but need to get the stamp first. I wasnt sure if I had to register it as a SBR along with being a auto weapon.

Derek_Connor
04-29-07, 09:19
Im going to be ordering a AR either piston 10.5 inch or a 14.5 non piston from one of my distributors but need to get the stamp first. I wasnt sure if I had to register it as a SBR along with being a auto weapon.

So you will be ordering a full auto SBR from a distributor? It should already be on a form 3 when it is at your distributor, and then they'll transfer it to your state(local) FFL/SOT on a form 3 for you to pick up and transfer it to you, your trust, LLC etc

Robb Jensen
04-29-07, 10:06

Thanks

Each NFA item has it's own tax stamp. You can't make (Form 1) or buy (Form 4) new machineguns due to 1986 Federal law. So your stuck with it 3 ways:

1. Registered lower ($8K and up)
2. Registered Drop-In auto sear ($6K and up)
3. Registered Lightning Link ($6K and up)

The high prices are because they were in the registry from 1986 or before.

No extra tax stamp is needed to put a shorter than 16" barrel on a registered machinegun. By federal definition a machinegun isn't a rifle, thus you can use whatever barrel length you want.

USMC88-93
04-30-07, 02:29

I just want to be sure you are aware that you cannot purchase any newly manufactured machine gun. You will have to purchase one manufactured pre 1986

bullitt5897
05-03-07, 11:00
Hey Guys as you can tell im new to the forum. Actually, since the sunset of the AWB you should very well be able to purchase a newly made machine gun. I know there is a huge waiting list at one of the local gun shops because of the sunset of this bill. Am I missing something? I was looking forward to building a 14.5 in SBR with full auto feature.

Mike

RWBlue
05-03-07, 11:10
Hey Guys as you can tell im new to the forum. Actually, since the sunset of the AWB you should very well be able to purchase a newly made machine gun. I know there is a huge waiting list at one of the local gun shops because of the sunset of this bill. Am I missing something? I was looking forward to building a 14.5 in SBR with full auto feature.

Mike

AWB, has nothing to do with full auto.

AWB, was all about things looking evil, and magazine restrictions.

The ban in 1986 stopped the manufacture of new machine guns for normal people.

IMHO, unless you have 10K to invest in your hobbies, or "NEED" full auto, get a regular AR or maybe a SBR if you are looking for something shorter than 16 inches.

bullitt5897
05-03-07, 13:23
In other words we still cannot get full auto lower receivers from the factory unless we are LE, Level III licensed, Military or have an abundance of cash lying around to spend on this. Ohhh well I guess I will have to settle for Semi. :mad: By the way do you know the law or code that prohibits FA so I can do more due diligence on the matter?

Thanks,
Mike

SuicideHz
05-15-07, 20:44
There is no due diligence on the matter and I don't think you are using the term due diligence correctly ;)

You have three options for FA in the AR15 world as mentioned above.

This place is as good as any to find that out. Other places will require you wade through too much hearsay that you may turn into wishful thinking.

You don't necessarily want and don't need FA right now. Don't worry about it.

You should get a 9mm AR15 and SBR it then suppress it. That's 2 tax stamps for ya! :p

gunny
05-15-07, 22:17
In other words we still cannot get full auto lower receivers from the factory unless we are LE, Level III licensed, Military or have an abundance of cash lying around to spend on this. Ohhh well I guess I will have to settle for Semi. :mad: By the way do you know the law or code that prohibits FA so I can do more due diligence on the matter?

Thanks,
Mike

To answer the LE/Mil question...If you're an LEO or mil, make sure you understand that you are still bound to the same NFA laws as a civ. The only way you will be able to use an NFA item w/out going the BATF&E route is if, one-you are issued the weapon via your mil unit or two-your dept has issued you the weapon for duty use only. I was issued a FA auto sub gun & later a FA SBR AR on the tac team for my dept. I turned in my issued guns after I started buying my own AR's which I now carry as my patrol & entry guns so the boots could experience some shooting fun:rolleyes: . A few of 'em are now SBR'd.

I still had to go through the NFA process for my own AR's where I didn't for the dept issued guns. Otherwise, I understand you will spend A LOT of cash buying & registering that FA if that's really what you want. I personally don't see the need for me to own a FA weapon unless used for suppressive fire in a combat scenario or solely for range fun & bragging rights. I no longer experience sustained mil combat, I don't brag & my SA's offer me just as much fun.