PDA

View Full Version : Platform Consolidation: What Would You Do?

PrivateCitizen
04-04-10, 16:44
I have nearly come to the conclusion that consolidating carry/secondary platforms (and noted some here have already done so) in an effort to maximize training and parts sharing is the way to go … or at least the way I'm gonna go.

If you were consolidating a secondary/training platform TODAY what would you choose?

I'd also be grateful to hear from those who have done so and how you'd rate your experience. Especially any unexpected caveats.

gtmtnbiker98
04-04-10, 16:52
I recently did this exact thing. I opted to consolidate on the HK sidearms and I own several. I sold all of my Sigs, Glocks, and M&Ps in favor of the same or similar manual of arms. The only caveat is boredom and lack of variety, but your performance "should" improve. Mine did.

Business_Casual
04-04-10, 17:15
Either M&P or Glock.

For me, it is Glock. I have too much invested in Glock parts, magazines, holsters, etc. to change. If I were just starting out, I would be tempted to go with the M&P and an Apex kit. That is a pretty sweet set up.

The others are also-rans that either don't have the built-in durability or lack the aftermarket support. The 1911 is too antiquated and maintenance requires an expert skill level most don't have.

B_C

Hunter Rose
04-04-10, 17:19
HKs for 9mm and 1911 for .45ACP. I'm still trying to figure out if I like the HK45/HK45 Compact enough to use these instead of the 1911.

Consolidation will definitely help if you have limited training time or a limited ammunition budget. COncentration on one platform should definitely mke you better at it. That being said, if you have tons of free-time and married a wealthy heiress, then variety is the spice of life I say.

DocGKR
04-04-10, 18:04
M&P works in all the common service calibers.

If just 9 mm, then 3rd gen Glock.

Dragon Slayer
04-04-10, 18:15
Glock all the way in 9mm or 45 ACP, unless they start having problems due to quality control, which I have had no issues with up till now, but if it happens then M&P or XD would do just fine.:)

trio
04-04-10, 18:21
i did this a few years ago to all glocks

the only exception for me is a Kahr PM9...until glock makes a single stack, compact, 9mm, I'll pocket carry the Kahr

truthfully, since I run the NY1/3.5 connector setup in all my glocks, there is very little difference between the little pocket Kahr and my glocks....

Dragon Slayer
04-04-10, 18:26
i did this a few years ago to all glocks

the only exception for me is a Kahr PM9...until glock makes a single stack, compact, 9mm, I'll pocket carry the Kahr

truthfully, since I run the NY1/3.5 connector setup in all my glocks, there is very little difference between the little pocket Kahr and my glocks....

Good point, I forgot about my Kahr PM9 also, incredible little gun for pocket carry that I have over 3000 rounds of full power rounds through it and has never failed.:D

DocH
04-04-10, 19:56
All 9mm Glocks for defensive use and ammo commonality and training.2 26's,3 2nd gen. 19's and 2 3rd gen.17's. I keep my classic revolvers to break any monotony that might set in.:)

M4arc
04-04-10, 19:59
For me, it is Glock. I have too much invested in Glock parts, magazines, holsters, etc. to change. If I were just starting out, I would be tempted to go with the M&P and an Apex kit. That is a pretty sweet set up.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

opmike
04-04-10, 20:07
Eh, at this point, I suppose the M&P.

Though, I carry, compete, etc. all with my M&P full-size. As of now, I see no reason to to with compacts.

Alpha Sierra
04-04-10, 20:22
I take a broader view of firearms, so no, I would not consolidate anything.

kjdoski
04-04-10, 21:53
I haven't gone to this extreme yet, as I still have non-Glock pistols in my safe. But, they're in my safe, not on my hip or ankle. For carry use, I'm full on Glock-only now...

Regards,

Kevin

TheSmiter1
04-04-10, 23:49
I would go with a Glock 9mm, M&P in .40 and .45. HKs are nice, but not my thing at the moment. Seeing as I will only use 9mm unless I am issued a different caliber, I'll say Glock. If I were issued a .40 or .45 Glock and got free ammo, I'd still buy an M&Pc to use off duty. But I'll always keep my Glock 19.

rob_s
04-05-10, 05:18
I have recently made the consolidation on the Glock, the 19 to be exact. My reasons included...

Proven, known platform. "Better the devil you know than the one you don't" to a large extent.
Availability of rimfire conversions for training.
Availability of airsoft models for training.
Availability of support/aftermarket equipment (holsters, sights, etc.)
Relative cost. Each fully-customized Glock is still well under $1k even with grip reductions.
Potential for alternate calibers (specifically up-sizing to the 10mm for hogs etc.)
Lightweight & concealable.
Availability of larger & smaller sized models with identical controls & magazine/holster compatibility.

No other platform that I know of meets these needs as they apply to my situation better, so it was an easy choice.

I understand that some take a "broader view" of firearms and like to fill up the safe with one thing and another, but whatever enjoyment I get out of owning and shooting firearms is my (rather pathetic at the moment) ability to hit the target rapidly. It's been a long time since I was interested in simply owning firearms just to own them, or shooting them just to shoot them. YMMV

javentre
04-05-10, 05:51
5 years ago I sold my Sigs, custom 1911s, and other handguns for Glocks, specifically 9mm Glocks.

I was able to simplify my ammo stash, holster collection, magazines, and spare parts. I appreciated the commonality of parts and accessories between my guns.

This work out well until I tried an M&P, now I have split my collection between the 2, almost equally.

Drew78
04-05-10, 06:17
With the exception of my Ruger LCR, its all Glock all the way. 19's and 26's to be exact...

SWATcop556
04-05-10, 08:50
Once I stopped buying firearms for the sake of buying firearms I went to all Glock, all 9mm.

I kept my 1911's for fun shooting and tinkering.

jasonhgross
04-05-10, 10:01
About three years ago I consolidated:

Glock 19's
M4

The 38 special jframe and a Kahr PM9 round things out for concealed carry.

Everything else was sold.

beastfrog
04-05-10, 10:55
I chose M&P to consolidate on. Main reason is that I needed reversable mag release and at the time I made the decision Glock Gen4's weren't out yet.

buckshot1220
04-06-10, 21:51
I went HK, and more specifically variants with the LEM trigger to ditch the decocker/safety lever. I stuck with P2000 and newer guns, no USP series, because I release the slide using my trigger finger on the right side of the frame. Doing so with a USP would mean adding the ambi kit, no big deal, but i don't really see modding the USP being more efficient than just getting a newer generation with better slightly better ergos to boot. I also use my trigger finger to operate the mag release, all of which are located in the same spot HK to HK. The only exception is my LCP w/ CT laser because HK doesn't make a pocket gun:mad:

As far as calibers, I always tried to stay with 9MM and 45, but the new P30S in 40SW really has my attention. Lucky for me, my buddy loads 40SW for his G23 on my Dillion 650, so I'd probably only have to buy a few boxes of Gold Dots for carry:D

556A2
04-06-10, 23:28
I'm in the process of consolidating to Glocks.

I would stick with the Beretta 92 series, but since Beretta in their infinite wisdom discontinued the 92 Compact & Centurion....... I'll stick to Austrian Tupperware.

Aray
04-06-10, 23:36
I consolidated to M&P, I shoot lead indoors.

TheSmiter1
04-06-10, 23:43
I sold my M&P due to financial trouble a couple of months ago. I just bought a Glock 19, and already find myself wanting my M&P back. I have no idea what to consolidate to.:o

For some reason the fact that .40 cal Glocks are finicky irritates me with regards to the whole lineup. I don't know why. Maybe it's the fact that they have shown they can make a fantastic firearm, but have been infinitely slow to address issues with their .40s. I don't know what to think about them as a company.

And then you have the FBI put lots of rounds through them and they work fine. I'm confounded.

Oh well. For now it's the Glock 19. It's a 9mm so I'm good to go.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 00:00
I consolidated to HK's...the only non-HK I have is a Walther PPS. It's an awesome 110 degree 80% humidity carry gun. :D
My wife doesn't care, she loves her Kimber Pro CDP Series 1, Colt SS Officer's and S&W 4" 686 and S&W M36 snubby.
Since the revolvers barely see any use and we have some ammo stashed for them we only have to buy 9mm and 45 ACP to keep our handguns running. I got out of 40's sometime last year and haven't looked back.
I train with my P2000 and carry my UPS45C when I don't carry the PPS.

jasonhgross
04-07-10, 08:16
I consolidated to HK's...the only non-HK I have is a Walther PPS. It's an awesome 110 degree 80% humidity carry gun. :D
My wife doesn't care, she loves her Kimber Pro CDP Series 1, Colt SS Officer's and S&W 4" 686 and S&W M36 snubby.
Since the revolvers barely see any use and we have some ammo stashed for them we only have to buy 9mm and 45 ACP to keep our handguns running. I got out of 40's sometime last year and haven't looked back.
I train with my P2000 and carry my UPS45C when I don't carry the PPS.

Sounds really complicated. Glock 19 would be maybe a better answer, and cheaper.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 08:21
Sounds really complicated. Glock 19 would be maybe a better answer, and cheaper.

What's complicated? Training with the P2000 and carrying the USP45C or having a PPS in the mix? Shooting different HK's is like shooting only one...When I shot my USP45C for the first time I was just as good with it as with my P2000.
I've been thinking about replacing the PPS with a P2000SK but it's not as thin. As for Glocks; I've owned several in the past but I just can't warm up to them. I prefer Walthers over Glocks and HK's over Walthers. To each his own.

04-07-10, 09:13
The only consolidation I have done is to 9mm. I had to sell off my .45 last summer to pay bills and found that it was cheaper/easier to buy and load only for the 9mm. Been using a Beretta 92F for some time, I now have a 4th Gen G17 waiting in the wings. I voted Glock.

rob_s
04-07-10, 09:27
What's complicated? Training with the P2000 and carrying the USP45C or having a PPS in the mix? Shooting different HK's is like shooting only one...When I shot my USP45C for the first time I was just as good with it as with my P2000.
I've been thinking about replacing the PPS with a P2000SK but it's not as thin. As for Glocks; I've owned several in the past but I just can't warm up to them. I prefer Walthers over Glocks and HK's over Walthers. To each his own.

I actually thought the same thing as Jason when I first read your post, but also thought the same thing as highlighted in red above. ;)

Chameleox
04-07-10, 09:42
I had a very long post to put up, but I'll keep it simple.
I consolidated to the Glock 22 and 27, but I should have gone with the 17 or 19 and 26. Because of my job and my state, I'm pretty much stuck with Glocks, for better or worse.

HK45
04-07-10, 09:50
I have recently made the consolidation on the Glock, the 19 to be exact.
I understand that some take a "broader view" of firearms and like to fill up the safe with one thing and another, but whatever enjoyment I get out of owning and shooting firearms is my (rather pathetic at the moment) ability to hit the target rapidly. It's been a long time since I was interested in simply owning firearms just to own them, or shooting them just to shoot them. YMMV

I wish I had your discipline. I don't have a lot of variance but have often thought I should use a 19 for everything. I just like shooting .45 too much to do only 9.

PrivateCitizen
04-07-10, 15:31
Interesting results thus far.

I think the Glock 17/19/23 or M&P9L, FS and C is a great setup.

As I came to the realization just lately and have never owned a G19 I will be going down the M&P path.

But I have a trip to evaluate both this weekend so we shall see.

The only non-Platform pistol I keep will be my CZ PCR … admittedly for sentimental reasons. It will get a retirement ceremony and become the heirloom it has earned of itself.

QuietShootr
04-07-10, 16:31
I am really thinking about doing this.

I love my 19s. The only drawbacks I can think of are they give me railroad tracks on my hand, and I don't want to give some asshat of a reporter the opportunity to say that I was armed with a ".9mm glock semi-automatic high capacity gangsta pistol" if I shoot somebody.

Powder_Burn
04-07-10, 17:05
Consolidated defense platforms to the AR and 9mm M&P platforms last year. Kept a PPS and LCP for deep concealment roles. Re-directed need for variety to old hunting rifles instead...happy thusfar.

JonInWA
04-07-10, 17:17
I've found myself more and more in the past five years or so consolidating and concentrating on primarily Glock, and secondarily 1911 platforms.

For daily carry, and a majority of my competition use (IDPA, GSSF, and steel plate) generally/usually/most of the time it'll be a Glock.

I really appreciate and enjoy my 1911s for what they are, but they just don't have the reliability that I've found in my Glocks. Plus the low weight, lack of susceptability to corrosion and low/ease of maintenance/lubrication inherent to Glocks is a nice plus.

Best, Jon

WS6
04-07-10, 17:30
M&P works in all the common service calibers.

If just 9 mm, then 3rd gen Glock.

Why not 4th gen?

Dragon Slayer
04-07-10, 17:30
I am really thinking about doing this.

I love my 19s. The only drawbacks I can think of are they give me railroad tracks on my hand, and I don't want to give some asshat of a reporter the opportunity to say that I was armed with a ".9mm glock semi-automatic high capacity gangsta pistol" if I shoot somebody.

A reporter or anybody else making such a stupid comment can be corrected by showing them that gangs like the FBI and many police departments carry "Gangsta Glocks" i would not worry too much about that.:rolleyes::D

I used to think that the G23 with a 9mm and 357 Sig barrels was the best thing out there, but when I started having problems with my hand I decided to switch to the G26 and G19, but for others the G23 combination is a really good and viable option.

BTW I just recently got banned from Warrior Talk after many years and close to 8000 posts because I was picking up too many fights with some lunatics. But even getting banned does not change the fact that Gabe is a serious and descent man and a great trainer and most everybody except for a few members are great people at Warrior Talk, I still have many many friends there that I correspond with.

BTW they used to call me IKE. CCK you and Littlelebowski know me well.;)

JonInWA
04-07-10, 18:00
Why not 4th gen?

Not to put words in DocGKR's mouth, but there's some thought that the nested recoil spring assembly inherent to the Gen4 resolved some of the issues with the previous .40 G22, but was unnecessary (other than from a manufacturing standardization/parts stocking standpoint) for the 9mm Glocks, and, as it currently is apparently the same springing for both calibers, seems more optomized for the .40, possibly at the expense of some 9mm reliability (the jury is still out-some have reported problems, some have had none).

The Gen3 G17 and G19 are one of the industry gold standards for a durable, reliable 9mm handgun. Since the overall need/benefit/reliability of the Gen4 recoil set-up (and, for that matter, the other component modifications) for the 9mm Glock G17/G19 is somewhat unproven, it makes a certain amount of sense to recommend the current Gen3 (assuming that you index well with the receiver configuration of the Gen3)-at least until the Gen4 has been subject to greater fielding and use with successful results.

Best, Jon

Alpha Sierra
04-07-10, 19:06
I am consolidating on Smith & Wesson K frames.

Caeser25
04-07-10, 19:55
While it is a wise decision to consolidate, only YOU can pick the right platform for YOU.

PrivateCitizen
04-07-10, 21:00
While it is a wise decision to consolidate, only YOU can pick the right platform for YOU.

As the OP I am not sure if that was directed at me, so for clarity …

I was not looking for recommendations FOR a platform.

I am soliciting experience of doing so and in the process just curious to establish what a majority of those who have done this settled on as a matter of measure.

13F3OL7
04-08-10, 14:03
I consolidated to the 1911 a few years ago. I understand other platforms may be just as valid or more up to date design wise, but for my needs and wants it works for me. I don't find the more intensive maintenance and upkeep to be a problem, because for me it's a way to relax and learn about how it operates.

cfrazier
04-08-10, 14:40
I have mainly focused on one platform since I began shooting, that being Sigs. Before I really got into shooting I tried everything that was out there to include Glock, 1911, Ruger, S&W.

I currently own 2 Sig 220, 226 and 228 and these are what I prefer and enjoy shooting. And carry a Ruger SP 101 as a BUG.

bigghoss
04-08-10, 22:07
my main CC pair is a glock 17 backed up my a 26 on my support side. I plan on getting a 19 someday too. also a g21sf, 30sf, and 20, sf will enter my safe one day.

jwperry
04-09-10, 02:26
I've sold my Glock 9mms and gone with HK P30s. I sold my 1911s (except one) and went with HK45s. I'm very happy with both, I just wish that HK had the off the shelf parts support that Glocks/1911s have. If I want any replacement parts for my HKs I have to call them, haunt message boards or pay out the @$$ at a gun show. But the change was well worth it.

PrivateCitizen
04-09-10, 12:27
I've sold my Glock 9mms and gone with HK P30s. I sold my 1911s (except one) and went with HK45s. I'm very happy with both, I just wish that HK had the off the shelf parts support that Glocks/1911s have. If I want any replacement parts for my HKs I have to call them, haunt message boards or pay out the @$$ at a gun show. But the change was well worth it.

With the tests on the P30 that was done by PT at least you can hope to have issues less often!

Gives you time to pickup likely need parts well in advance.

I hear ya on the lack of accessories though.

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-12-10, 02:29
Though it is hard to do and stick to...if you're like me eventually you will have the desire to try something new, and its a struggle every time the newest, bestest thing comes out :D

I settled on the Glock 9mm platform. I shoot my 34 in USPSA prod / IDPA SSP, and usually pocket carry a G26 w/ crimson trace. I also CC a G19 IWB when my wardrobe allows or my environment dictates and I recently received a G17 that I am in the process of setting up to my specs (just got my warren / Sevigny 2 dot trit's in the mail from SKD), I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the G17 just yet...I have found that since I have consolidated on the Glock 9mm platform my shooting and gun handling skills have absolutely improved and the logistical ($$$) factors are much simpler. The only down side is that it does get boring from time to time, and I absolutely have to fight the urge to try out the new HK's and 1911s.

I favor the Glock platform over the M&P's because I like the sizes of their pistol line. I am not alone in thinking that the G19 is the perfect "if I could only have 1" handgun (size, caliber, capacity, reliability, shootability). Additionally, I can pocket carry the G26, and I don't think I could pocket carry the M&P 9mm compact. I prefer pocket carry as it is a good compromise for MY lifestyle, it allows me to carry a pretty substantial blaster with the same characteristics as my comp gun, in a relatively accessible location from most positions, while remaining absolutely concealed in normal clothing. I have everything I need to self smith my guns, I like the triggers, and I have a lot of time and muscle memory with the platform and it's manual of arms.

If I didn't have EVERYTHING :D for my glocks (tools, mags, box o'holsters, etc...) and a preference for pocket carry I would probably gravitate to the M&P line as it interfaces great w/ CT lasers, shoots well in all calibers and appears to have better ergo's (I've only handled them, have not had a chance to fire them yet).

Goodluck in your decision, and know that while your collection will be less interesting, your skills will definitely improve through standardization. While I personally prefer Glocks, if I was to do it all over again and was not so heavily invested in the Glock platform I'd probably give M&P a try so I voted M&P.

GU

PrivateCitizen
04-16-10, 10:50
Though it is hard to do and stick to...if you're like me eventually you will have the desire to try something new, and its a struggle every time the newest, bestest thing comes out :D

GU

Totally agree.

I, like others here at M4C, started asking myself the 'hard' questions about regiment, stores, and supplies.

It really isn't a new concept but, as you point out, the latest and greatest is always on the horizon and has a powerful allure. (P30 as it stands. do want: sigh)

I have been up and down the SIG line, shot CZs recreationally and had a PCR as a carry for many years.

This site, and rob_s in particular, have really motivated me to look and my 'mission spec' as a non MIL/LEO private citizen and determine what is needed and at what scale. Particularly Rob's assertion that my CCW is my primary and I train to scale from there.

I put a couple hundred each through a g19 and an M&P9 locally. I came out on the M&P side of life and am happy with the decision.

maximus83
04-16-10, 10:58
Wow looking at the poll results, I am impressed by the inroads that the M&P has made even on this forum. Currently showing the M&P running 2nd to the Glock, with M&P adopters at about 50% of Glock adopters as of today.

If I had guessed, I would have thought the M&P adopters on this forum would be a much smaller number versus Glock adopters, maybe more like 25%. And maybe it still is, this poll isn't necessarily representative of all members on the forum, but it COULD be. Either way, it's interesting to see how quickly the M&P has come up in the service pistol category within just 3 to 4 years, versus its rivals that have been available for decades in some cases.

Ga Shooter
04-16-10, 11:38
I have recently made the consolidation on the Glock, the 19 to be exact. My reasons included...

Proven, known platform. "Better the devil you know than the one you don't" to a large extent.
Availability of rimfire conversions for training.
Availability of airsoft models for training.
Availability of support/aftermarket equipment (holsters, sights, etc.)
Relative cost. Each fully-customized Glock is still well under $1k even with grip reductions.
Potential for alternate calibers (specifically up-sizing to the 10mm for hogs etc.)
Lightweight & concealable.
Availability of larger & smaller sized models with identical controls & magazine/holster compatibility.

No other platform that I know of meets these needs as they apply to my situation better, so it was an easy choice.

I just sold most of my other stuff and chose Glock for the reasons Rob has listed. I went with the .45 platform 21SF to be exact and have really enjoyed the change. Also because they are so popular if you can wait you can come across really great deals on them. I sold most of my stuff on consignment at a local shop which made it hassle free for me.

kaltblitz
04-16-10, 15:19
I have a love affair with the Sig platform that I simply cannot explain. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through 226's and 228's and it is probably the platorm I am most comfortable with more so than anything else.

I've found it very hard to consolidate and actually posted my "Pistol Peer Pressure" thread on here a year ago or so. I carry a 1911 at work because it is the thing to do. I shoot it well and mine (a Springfield Pro) is totally reliable.

Given the choice and with no outside factors I would probably be carrying a Sig. I still may yet switch back to my beloved platform.

HK45
04-16-10, 15:23
I used to like Sigs but not so much anymore. The quality control no longer justifies the cost in my opinion. i would like to totally consolidate to Glock 9mm like so many others have but can't quite get completely rid of HK's.

gtmtnbiker98
04-16-10, 17:22
I used to like Sigs but not so much anymore. The quality control no longer justifies the cost in my opinion. i would like to totally consolidate to Glock 9mm like so many others have but can't quite get completely rid of HK's.Well said, regarding Sig. I used to own a bunch of Glocks and Sigs and have since standardized on the HK line. I only own HK but am missing my Glocks. The P30 is my chosen platform for 9mm and the P2000/USPc for .40. As for the .45, it's definitely the HK45/c.

Rockfish Dave
04-17-10, 13:11
I've consolodated calibers, and constantly resist the urge to expand again (Ruger 454 Alaskan, and add some 45 ACP's to the stable).

For secondaries I'm down to M&P and Glock. I am new to M&P but I love the erogonomics, Apex DCAEK and Storm Lake barrel. If it proves as reliable as the Glock I may further consolodate to the M&P.

Appalachian
12-31-10, 20:54
Gents,
This thread has about 8 months on it now. Several comments were "in the process of consolidating". What have the benefits been for those of you that have done so? Do you "go shootin' " less and train more? (definitely two different things). Any positive impact on skill levels with the chosen gun?

Just idle curiosity on my part. I am now focused on one pistol caliber, my carry gun caliber no longer "starts with a four." In my case I am more confident after sticking to one type of pistol and one caliber. Still less than stellar, but the mediocrity is at least consistent now. :)

QuickStrike
01-01-11, 03:48
Once I stopped buying firearms for the sake of buying firearms I went to all Glock, all 9mm.

I kept my 1911's for fun shooting and tinkering.

I'm starting to come to this conclusion as well. I own five glocks and all but the G20 is in 9mm.

Time for me to stop hoarding guns and get serious about skill development. No need to readjust for grip angle or getting used to different triggers. I wanna see the front sight rise!

With parts I can drop in myself and good durability/shootability, it's the design for me.

Ga Shooter
01-01-11, 06:22
Gents,
This thread has about 8 months on it now. Several comments were "in the process of consolidating". What have the benefits been for those of you that have done so? Do you "go shootin' " less and train more? (definitely two different things). Any positive impact on skill levels with the chosen gun?

Just idle curiosity on my part. I am now focused on one pistol caliber, my carry gun caliber no longer "starts with a four." In my case I am more confident after sticking to one type of pistol and one caliber. Still less than stellar, but the mediocrity is at least consistent now. :)

I ended up not stayng with the G21s but switched to the Gen4 G17 (ammo cost, etc.) I have improved some of the flaws in my training and have become a better shooter by keeping all the weapons the same platform. I can no longer use the excuse of .." I have been shooting xyz lately so I need to get use to ABC again that is why I am off today" Also by putting a lot of rounds downrange with just 1 weapon system I can concentrate better on my form and drills instead of how does this gun feel/handle/sound compared to what I shot last week. For me it goes back to the K.I.S.S theory.

SteveL
01-01-11, 06:50
I sold off my pistols in the last year and consolidated to M&Ps in 9mm. For me the choice was between the M&P or Glock, and I don't like the feel of a Glock (not knocking the quality or reliability). In doing so I've shot more in the past 6 months than in the past 5 years probably, but that's not saying much unfortunately. My goal for this year is to get some quality training under my belt, starting with my pistols.

Entropy
01-01-11, 08:19
Probably S&W M&P. I've used Sigs for about 15yrs, and I like the W. German models, but design is aging and the new Sigs have problems. H&Ks are great guns, but they are expensive and accessories are scarce. Glocks are good, but as the generations have progressed they tend to have problems in certain calibers like the .40 and/or the new recoil spring in the 9mms.

M&Ps are:

1) Works great in all calibers, unlike other manufacturers that tend to have questionable performance in .40/.357 and/or .45.

2) Polymer frame with steel endoskeleton prevents flexing during firing so it is as reliable as a steel or alloy framed pistol.

3) All stainless steel construction(except springs) reduces maintenance.

4) Full grip swap allows for a higher degree of comfort than other brands.

5) Easily customized with lots of accessories.

6) Reasonably priced.

7) Single trigger condition with optional manual safety.

There are just so many options available to the M&P its hard not to justify it being the overall best and most flexible pistol system on the market.

Palmguy
01-01-11, 08:32
I only have 9mm Glocks now...although one of them happens to have a Walther logo on the slide.

I'm glad that I don't have a bunch of different types of handguns anymore; Sigs, 1911s, HKs, and more have all come and gone (at significant expense of course). I'm not yet at the point financially when I can have a collection in a safe.

REDinFL
01-01-11, 08:49
Caesar is right on that one. I voted Glock even though I don't really care for them. It's one of those "Just because Richard doesn't like it doesn't mean it's bad" things. It's mostly the grip. That said, I voted Glock because there are more accessories available for Glock than most other platforms and parts are readily available (though you should stock them).

I've done something similar, though I have Smith revolvers in .357. Same idea, they go bang every time, I can fix them, and I have parts and ammo. (which is a bit less sensitive to length issues when reloading, though I am careful).

RogerinTPA
01-01-11, 09:01
Probably S&W M&P. I've used Sigs for about 15yrs, and I like the W. German models, but design is aging and the new Sigs have problems. H&Ks are great guns, but they are expensive and accessories are scarce. Glocks are good, but as the generations have progressed they tend to have problems in certain calibers like the .40 and/or the new recoil spring in the 9mms.

M&Ps are:

1) Works great in all calibers, unlike other manufacturers that tend to have questionable performance in .40/.357 and/or .45.

2) Polymer frame with steel endoskeleton prevents flexing during firing so it is as reliable as a steel or alloy framed pistol.

3) All stainless steel construction(except springs) reduces maintenance.

4) Full grip swap allows for a higher degree of comfort than other brands.

5) Easily customized with lots of accessories.

6) Reasonably priced.

7) Single trigger condition with optional manual safety.

There are just so many options available to the M&P its hard not to justify it being the overall best and most flexible pistol system on the market.

Agreed.

I made my consolidation a few years ago from S&W6906, G23 1st Gen, PX4 Storm .40, to the M&P. My first was the .45 full size in FDE. I was so impressed with the ergonomics, reduced recoil, low bore axis, mag cap, accuracy, changeable back straps, faster follow up shots, even when doing controlled pairs and bill drills. After a few 600 round one day pistol courses, I slowly traded my inventory for more (9c, 9, &40). The way the weapon felt in my hand during these courses was incredible, with no strain or fatigue afterwards. The G23 I shoot well, but the grip sucked for me, and because of it, I only shot it a few times a year. I tried the Gen4 G19 I was going to purchase, but Glock's piss poor attempt at adding modular back straps was an absolute abortion. It did nothing to fix the grip area that needed fixing for me, so I had to "wave off". I will get one eventually, but when I do, it will be sent immediately to Ben and Boresightsoulutions to remove the finger grips and a grip reduction job.

gtmtnbiker98
01-01-11, 09:09
As previously stated, I consolidated long ago; however, I still maintain different calibers (9, .40, and .45). Consolidation is one thing, but narrowing down to just a single caliber is a bit much for me. After all, this is also a hobby and I like to enjoy the hobby.

EzGoingKev
01-01-11, 10:35
I voted Glock as that is what I have run for almost 20 years.

For some of us there is more to it than what pistol you like. I live in a ban state and would love to try out an M&P in either 9mm or .40 but because it is a new pistol I cannot legally use high cap mags so that really narrows the choice.

iCarbine
01-01-11, 14:15
Totally agree.

I, like others here at M4C, started asking myself the 'hard' questions about regiment, stores, and supplies.

This site, and rob_s in particular, have really motivated me to look and my 'mission spec' as a non MIL/LEO private citizen and determine what is needed and at what scale. Particularly Rob's assertion that my CCW is my primary and I train to scale from there.

I too am considering consolidating. I've been a gun "enthusiast" since I was 19. While in college and couldn't really afford much, I acquired a few relatively inexpensive firearms: Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 835, M44 Mosin Nagant, K98, SKS. Then I bought a SA "Loaded" 1911 and thought I'd found heaven. After awhile though I got on a revolver/levergun kick, along with the romantic, fantasy, delusion that sixguns and leverguns were all a man really needed.

My first carry gun was a 3" GP100. While heavy and bulky by most standards, in my late 20's and at 235+ lbs, it was a piece of cake to haul around. After my first daughter was born I bounced back and forth between the GP and the 1911. After my second daughter was born on Christmas '09, I'm pretty sure the only guns I've fired have been the 1911 and my 10 month old M&P 15 (oh how I wish I'd found this site and G&R Tactical first, as I'd have gotten a BCM Middy).

I've decided that, while my 1911 has been quite good to me, it is no longer a wise choice for me due to the long term maintenance requirements and will shift to a Gen 3 G19. I like the M&P line too, but its much more expensive than the Glock from what I've seen in my area. I think I'll miss the idea of the .45, at least until I get used to the cost of 9mm.

I sold three guns (two revolvers and the SKS) to buy the AR. My two Ruger single actions and my Marlin 1894C were gifts from my wife and I will never sell them. However, I don't know what I'll do with the others. I've tinkered long enough with other designs, and at the same time saw my skills go practically nowhere. I think in the past year, even with an admittedly small round count by local standards, my skills, mindset and confidence have grown tremendously.

I'm very interested in building and maintaining a G19/AR battery from now on for reasons very similar to those of many of you.

I'd like to take a multi-day pistol class in the next year and maybe squeeze in a carbine class as well, funds allowable.

citadelshooter
01-01-11, 19:54
Glock 19 with X300 in Raven Concealment holster. M&P 45c in same setup.

davebee456
01-01-11, 20:57
I think for reliability and durability Heckler Koch For The Old 45acp and Glock for 9mm..

Omega Man
01-01-11, 21:21
I haven't gone to this extreme yet, as I still have non-Glock pistols in my safe. But, they're in my safe, not on my hip or ankle. For carry use, I'm full on Glock-only now...

Regards,

Kevin

This exactly for me too.

observer
01-02-11, 01:05
Well, I voted for the Glock platform, which would be quickly followed by the M&P.

The 9mm in particular has proven reliable, and the caliber will work for 85% of the people out there. The weapon and parts are available to pretty much everyone at reasonable prices and the custom market has grown in the past few years for those that like their weapons messed with. Now that being said, I carried a G21SF and G36 combo for my last last couple of years of work, and a G22/23/27 combination prior to that.

I had the opportunity to work with HK, Sig, S&W and Springfield, and I would only seriously look at the S&W M&P series unless I was issued the another platform.

RancidSumo
01-02-11, 01:14
I didn't vote because I couldn't decide between the Glock and the M&P. I love my M&P9 but I think that the ultimate 9mm is the Glock 19. For .40 and .45 I'd rather have the M&P though.

Lost River
01-02-11, 09:32
I primarily use Glocks off duty.

My issue piece is currently a 40 cal M&P. I definately do not care for it.

Prior to that I spent 4 years overseas with G19s and ran them hard.

Prior to that I used or was issued a G21 for 10 years.

The G19 is a primary gun for me now when not working, though my G21s see a considerable amount of carry time when the weather gets cooler or I am going to the mountains.

I have not really consolidated much, as off the top of my head I think I have 8 or so Glocks, half dozen 1911s and a dozen+ various 44 magnums for recreational shooting. Some Sigs in there too.

What I have done is concentrate on just shooting the Glocks for social purposes.

Frankly for defensive purposes, I could settle on a G19 and be G2G. That being said, I have spent too many years with the .45ACP to ever not have one around.

Lately I have been contemplating having three G19s and three G21s would make things fairly simple.

If I was starting over, I would likely stick with a pair of G19s for carry(one for carrying, one for training and as a spare), a J frame for BUG role, a 1911 for the range, and a .44 for hunting.

texag
01-02-11, 15:15
I voted M&P.

Until a few months ago my main carry piece was a M&P9 w/DCAEK, with a M&P9c for times when greater concealment was needed. Both were reliable, easy to maintain, capable of greater accuracy than my skills allowed, and were just plain easy to shoot well. The ergos are superb and intuitive. I have shot quite a few different pistols, and I do not believe there is one out there that fits my needs better than my M&P9.

That being said, it has been retired and the compact given to my girlfriend. I recently became a police officer, and due to some archaic bad blood M&Ps aren't authorized. My choices were glock, sig, or beretta in 9mm, .357sig, or .40 and kimber in .45. I went with a gen4 g17 and a gen3 g19. I shoot them almost as well as my M&Ps, but the ergos have taken some getting used to. The gen4 is slightly better than the gen3, primarily due to the texture and the mag catch, but even the mag catch wears on you when you have to do tons of reloads in rapid succession for training. All in all they are good guns that do what is asked of them. After I buy a set of warrens for the g19 and a 3.5lb connector for the g17, which has a noticeably heavier trigger pull than the gen3, the only thing they'll need is ammo and some more mags.

Dirknar
01-02-11, 18:57
I voted Glock..

I wont sell my Ruger blackhawk .44 mag but I did just sell my Sig P220 carry, to purchase a G21.. I stupidly sold a G20 a while ago and recently picked up a Gen3 G22 P-trade in for 349 and have been shooting it, and shooting it really good. I forgot how much I like Glocks..

Kevin P
01-03-11, 00:01
First and foremost it depends on what you are already familiar with and what works best for you. For me its the HK45c LEM. It is accurate, reliable(never have had a misfire) and just plain works for me. The only thing people will complain about is the price of the platform and supposedly their CS. Don't listen to the rumors about bad customer service. HK has turned things around for the better.