PDA

View Full Version : Best combat socks?

alfred10
04-04-10, 18:31
What are the best combat socks that are heavy duty for extended field use? Are any waterproof enough to keep your feet dry when boots are wet, padded to reduce foot pain on extanded hikes, and breathable?

Ak44
04-04-10, 18:42
Smartwool and Fox river are the only socks I put my feet in. I believe seal skinz are waterproof..

MIKE G
04-04-10, 18:46
Smartwool are my go to socks, I have not found a solid equivalent.

Boots are mission dependent either go waterproof, non-waterproof, or water boots (purpose built with drainage in mind).

Hoss356
04-04-10, 18:49
Smartwood's the way to go.

Cold Zero
04-04-10, 19:01
Smartwood's the way to go.

Anyone have a link for a cheap place to load up on them ? Thanks.

AirmanAtwood
04-04-10, 19:02
Darn Tough Vermont
Hiketrek boot socks.

Its what they issue at combat control school. Better than any other sock I'v tried throughout the pipeline

Stickman
04-04-10, 19:49
The Thorlo combat sock is all I use, and I've got a few pair that are over 8 years old. Well cushioned in all the correct places, and more comfortable than anything else I've ever tried. If you are wearing combat boots all day long, I would strongly suggest giving these a look. Check your local PX/ BX and feel them for yourself to see why.

http://www.thorlo.com/socks/army-socks/over-calf/181.php

Exclusive THOR•LONŽ construction for resilience, durability and better wicking.
Thick cushioning in the ball/heel for maximum shock, impact, shear and blister protection.
Moderate cushioning in shin and instep protects against abrasion and boot pressure.
Spandex top holds in place all day.

gogetal3
04-04-10, 21:01
Will they let me buy/use these when I ship to basic next month?

nutnless220
04-04-10, 21:13

Hammar
04-04-10, 21:17
+1 on the smartwool. Used to go with the thorlo's but since I got my smartwool's I wear nothing else.

Microwvbleturtle
04-04-10, 21:22
Will they let me buy/use these when I ship to basic next month?

It's been a couple years since I graduated BCT, but as of 2006 no, you are required to wear the issued green boot socks.

Judging by the raw material I've been receiving lately, it's also possible that they've done away with that rule and they just let you wear whatever the hell you want.

falightfighter
04-04-10, 21:26
I use Thor-lo. I bought a couple of pairs when I was still in the ARNG (so, before 1995), and they finally wore through about a year and a half ago- at least, three of them did. I paired it with another one that I had with a lost mate, and one is still going strong.

They will wear through, eventually. But they are pretty good. They dry quick. They are well padded. They last.

m1a_scoutguy
04-04-10, 22:14
Hmmmmm,,I can't remember the manufacture but my Wife & I bought socks for my Daughters Boyfriend who is in the 10th Mtn Division up at FT Drum NY,,and they were Goretex lined with a wool or synthetic outer. He loved them and wore them all the time when in the States but couldn't wear anything Non-Issue when Deployed. I'll try and see if there still in the stores,,they mite be a Seasonal thing !!

Heavy Metal
04-04-10, 22:35
It's been a couple years since I graduated BCT, but as of 2006 no, you are required to wear the issued green boot socks.

Judging by the raw material I've been receiving lately, it's also possible that they've done away with that rule and they just let you wear whatever the hell you want.

Get several sets of polypro sock liners and bring plenty of foot powder.

I doubt you will get any grief in Basic for using these. They make cheap socks work much better. Use plenty of foot powder. A dry foot is a happy foot.

Armati
04-05-10, 00:55
Smartwool Adrenalin is the best all around sock I have ever worn.

M4Fundi
04-05-10, 02:28
Smartwools. I keep Sealskins around for emergencies in case I have wet winter boots or for gnarly ice climbs with running water. I do have Canadian buddies who swear by NRS Wet Socks (type of neoprene) for cold.

I keep trying other sox and always come back to Smartwools

PdxMotoxer
04-05-10, 02:37
I have no real experience because i haven't used to many other brands other than Danner.

We have a factory store here attached to the factory over by the PDX airport.
(it helps some of us if you put where your from so we can suggest local places to save on shipping or rockin deals)

I've used MANY of their socks and can't say i ever had a pair let me down.
Those thick padded moisture wicking ones are great for Summer use.

kihnspiracy
04-05-10, 03:08
Smartwool are the brand I rely on.

carolvs
04-05-10, 03:09
Bridgedale Special Operations Socks.

http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Product.asp?ProductID=55

Turnkey11
04-05-10, 03:48
When my feet are in boots, the only thing I wear are issue DSCP green socks; Thorlos are too thick for me and Fox River just feels wierd; plus a daily wear hard use item like socks shouldnt cost me my annual clothing allowance every 3-4 months.

Hot Sauce
04-05-10, 03:54
Wigwam worked well for me, sometimes with boots on for over a week on end.

Some buddies rave about Fox River and Thorlos, but I've never tried them personally, and stick to what has already worked for me.

The Wigwam Cool-Lite Hiker and Fusions are what I've used.

photosniper
04-05-10, 07:35
Check out Point6 socks. Mercop got a bunch to T&E and gave me six pair. They are by far the best sock I've ever worn, much better than Smartwool and others I've tried. They offer socks from ankle hight (nice when wearing the Merrill's) to an above the calf that I like to wear with 8" boots. They are fitted with no seams so there is nothing to rub your toes. They also stay warm when wet.

http://www.point6.com/home

swamper
04-05-10, 09:03
When looking at the Smartwool socks, which style are you guys using? There are so many; which is the more correct for active boot wear?

Smuckatelli
04-05-10, 09:34
To GoGetal3, I recommend that you get the boot first and then figureout which sock is best. In basic, you'll have the issue socks for use, by the time you complete basic and with the knowledge that is being posted here, you'll be able to figureout which sock is right for you.

It is really going to boil down to where ou are going to be stationed. When I was in small boats...the best socks for us where think, cheap 100% wool socks. We ditched the waterproof boots for those ops also because waterproof boots become buckets when the water is deeper than the boot top. The cheap wool socks, when wet still kept out feet warm.

Keep in mind sock weight.....is very light. You can cram multiple socks in your ruck and change out as the mission permits. We used to wet socks on our rucks as we were patrolling in order for them to dry.

The most important thing to remember is that once your feet go down with trench foot, blisters or anything else like that ......you are screwed, take care of your dogs and your dogs will get you back home;).

Iraq Ninja
04-05-10, 09:50
When looking at the Smartwool socks, which style are you guys using? There are so many; which is the more correct for active boot wear?

Stay away from the lightweight thin ones, the ones that look like a patch quilt of different colors. They tend to wear out more than the medium or heavier ones. Basically, you want the ones designed for moderate hiking.

I still have what I think are a pair of smartwool socks I got back in 2004. They still work well, even though they have some shrapnel holes in them. Never give up your lucky socks!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/wound.jpg

I am currently using some brand of socks they sell in the PX, with the silver treatment to reduce bacteria growth. They work really well.

swamper
04-05-10, 10:23
Thanks a ton for the info., IN.

Cold Zero
04-05-10, 12:56

Light Hikers.

tiger seven
04-05-10, 13:10
Another vote for Smartwool. Only socks I wear, with any kind of shoe in any kind of weather. Walking, running, hiking or anything.

With boots, I've had good luck with Light Hikers as well. And that model is easy to find and often on sale. My absolute favorites are the PhD Outdoor Lights, the successor to the Adrenaline series. Best socks ever!

Derek

jkingrph
04-05-10, 17:07
It's been nearly 18 years since I had on combat boots and never for long hikes(USAF medical officer).

I always wore a thin silk sock next to my foot then the issue wool/cotton blend socks over them.

rdc0000
04-05-10, 18:52
It's been nearly 18 years since I had on combat boots and never for long hikes(USAF medical officer).

I always wore a thin silk sock next to my foot then the issue wool/cotton blend socks over them.

Do Wright socks work? Wrights are two layer with cool-max moister wicking. I never see anyone mention them, but runners use them.

carolvs
04-05-10, 19:01

Light Hikers or PhD Light Crew.

Atg336
04-06-10, 18:52
Smart Wool all the way!
Had a pair of medium thickness hikers for 4 years now - excellent socks! You can beat the crap out of them and they keep working. No holes, no fringing, no loss in thermal insulation or breathing, nothing.

Feet get wet or nasty sweaty; they'll still keep your feet warm in the boot in the cold, or if its hot they'll still feel a hell of a lot better damp than any other sock (combat or otherwise) I've ever worn in combat boots.

swamper
04-06-10, 19:15
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I went out and bought 3 pairs of the medium hikers last night. I wore them today (Louisiana...high of 80°F), and they felt great. I tried them with the Wellco Spartans (my wet/slightly cold boots) last night, and they felt awesome...much better than the socks I've been wearing with those boots. My 5.11 XPRT's (summer boots) get in tomorrow; can't wait to try them with those.

I actually emailed Smartwool with the same question. "Which style of Smartwool sock would be the ideal for wearing with military or police duty boots?" I'm by no means a military or LEO guy, just an engineer. However, do like to have the correct gear for the classes I take. Train right, fight right and all that jazz. The response I got was:

I would recommend the On the Job Light Crew or the On The Job Heavy Crew.

Right now, I'm sticking with the medium hiker and will try the others later down the road.

Thanks again.

steve-oh
04-06-10, 20:38
Smartwool are my go to socks, I have not found a solid equivalent.

Boots are mission dependent either go waterproof, non-waterproof, or water boots (purpose built with drainage in mind).

Yup. Smartwools. Worth the $20 a pair, they're not waterproof but I don't know of any sock that is and still breathes. I've worn mine for days at a time turning them inside out when I ran out of clean ones. Gross, but they still worked when other guys feet were peeling apart. I've also never gotten a blister with them.

CyberM4
04-06-10, 21:32
Smartwool are what I'm using now.

scjbash
04-06-10, 22:49
The cheapest place I've found for Smartwool clothing is

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?allwords=smartwool&searchdescriptions=True&page=1

They don't have a lot in stock right now, but it changes week to week so it's worth checking back. It's one of the best sites for outdoor gear. I've saved a ton of money shopping there.

Belmont31R
04-06-10, 22:59
Agreed with all who said smartwool. Its all I wear, and have worn for years now.

Also agree with the "light hikers" not being as long lasting as the others. I personally really like the PHD series. They fit a bit more snugly, and are very comfortable. Since they fit a bit better than the traditional designs it will also reduce blisters since there is less friction. The PHD medium crew is the best....

usmcamp0811
04-06-10, 23:37
I have the WORST feet imaginable! I got trench foot or something real bad when I was on my first deployment to Fallujah and I had smart wool socks. The brand I had were called ingenious. The second deployment I just took plane Jane white socks and took my boots off as much as possible. That worked ok but I still got some foot problems, nothing nearly as bad as in Fallujah. THEN my dad mailed me some stuff called Onox as well as some special type of sock that I don't remember the brand name of. But the Onox stuff is AWESOME! it basically eats all the dead skin off of your foot so it can't hold in moisture. I used it daily and my feet work good as new! I HIGHLY recommend this stuff!

http://www.onox-inc.com/foot_solution___dispensers.html

TehLlama
04-07-10, 01:00
My 17 pairs of thorlos have no comment.

Rated21R
04-07-10, 07:27
Fox River is all I wore while in Iraq. They did the job nicely. When I ski/hike, etc. it's SmartWool. Both I believe are good choices and will do the job.