PDA

View Full Version : KAC M4 RAS Rails (Factory Blem)

glock281
04-04-10, 18:53
I just ordered a set for $150 if you want a set too.

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32

mnagant762
04-04-10, 19:04
Figures I just picked one up yesterday with 8 rail cover sections and the forward grip plus the bag thing for 250 but it was not a 2nd.

Stickman
04-04-10, 19:46
That reminds me that I need to get a set one of these days.

rychencop
04-04-10, 20:54
you can find NIB sets for that price on ebay. i got mine last year for $165.

Quib
04-04-10, 20:58
I ordered a set on Saturday morning.

glock281
04-04-10, 21:15

I have seen a few sets for that price but with ebay they were counterfit (chinese knock offs, or stolen US military items) so I descided to go with the company that makes them.

ralph
04-04-10, 21:35
I had Grant put one on a build he recently did for me..The blems were so minor, that until Grant pointed them out, I would have never found them. Anyway, for the price, and all that's included, these are a buy..

rychencop
04-04-10, 22:15
I have seen a few sets for that price but with ebay they were counterfit (chinese knock offs, or stolen US military items) so I descided to go with the company that makes them.

i understand that. mine are real and there is certainly is no way to know if they are stolen.

uniform64
04-04-10, 23:46
Man, I wish they would ship to Kalifornia. What's the big deal? they're just handguards.

rychencop
04-05-10, 09:25
Man, I wish they would ship to Kalifornia. What's the big deal? they're just handguards.

they obviously look evil.

m24shooter
04-05-10, 15:49
Friend of mine from college got all of his that way. Very minor cosmetic issues. I think one set had fuzzy numbers and one had the upside down.

Dave_M
04-05-10, 16:14
No rifle length. Damn.

I need a set for an M16A4 clone that I'm building up.

glock281
04-05-10, 16:31
got my shipping notice today, that was pretty fast.

Heck shoot me an email I'll help you get a set in CA (I don't think they have banned handguards out there have they? lol)

markm
04-05-10, 17:55
I have 3 of these on my guns. Love them.

Quib
04-05-10, 18:24
got my shipping notice today, that was pretty fast.

Heck shoot me an email I'll help you get a set in CA (I don't think they have banned handguards out there have they? lol)

Same here.

Anxiously waiting to see how “blemished” it really is.

glock281
04-05-10, 18:26
From what I have read, its hard to tell where the blem is.
When I get mine wed I'll post pics if anyone is interested (after I purchase another set if they look REALLY good)

markm
04-05-10, 18:49
I've never seen any "blemishes" on any of mine. I've always thought that it was the fact that the rail numbers have the "L" and "R" on the wrong sides. :confused:

I just hope there's no issue with the anodizing.

glock281
04-05-10, 19:18
I've never seen any "blemishes" on any of mine. I've always thought that it was the fact that the rail numbers have the "L" and "R" on the wrong sides. :confused:

I just hope there's no issue with the anodizing.

LOL

If thats all I can live with that. Heck its right just depending on which side your on LOL
:eek:

boltcatch
04-06-10, 23:06

Probably because due to the idiots in charge in CA, they appear to be a banned "assault weapon" per the list. Not sure too many companies really want to push their luck

http ://ag.ca.gov/ firearms/infobuls /kaslist.pdf

Remove spaces and paste into browser, I don't feel like making it hot.

glock281
04-07-10, 08:11
Glad I'm not in CA

3p031
04-07-10, 09:14
I have a stupid question before I place any orders. How blem on them? If its minor here and there Im fine they still perform perfect right? Cause for the price Id be stupid not to get a set.

ralph
04-07-10, 10:19
I have a stupid question before I place any orders. How blem on them? If its minor here and there Im fine they still perform perfect right? Cause for the price Id be stupid not to get a set.

The "blems" on mine, were very minor..they were rejected because someone did'nt like the way the rivets holding the heat shield in place were set,(That's what I was told,but,I don't see anything wrong with them,inside or out) everything else is fine, as far as I can tell.No blurred numbers, the numbers are all pointing the right way.."B" numbers on the bottom, (I'm assuming that's correct, I'll admit,There's alot I don't know about rails) finish is perfect,and matches the rest of the rifle. I really don't understand why this one is a "Blem" I'll take it..The price was right!

Abull
04-07-10, 14:34
Fairly new to AR's so I have to ask, are these good rails? I have a set of Omega's on my go to rifle but another one has UTG's on it. Don't ask, cheap and a weak moment! I was thinking I would get some Troy's for it but these look pretty nice, I just don't know much about them. This gun will probably be going to the boy, and he wants something close to what he is using now in Iraq. Thanks for any answers.

Alan

glock281
04-07-10, 16:43
Received mine today and I just ordered another set.

They are NIB with 3 sets of rail covers.

The only thing wrong with mine (which is a blem i guess?)

The R#s are on the left side the L#s are on the right Side.

I Can Live with that.

Yes these are great rails and the price is even better.

joeinkeys
04-07-10, 17:22
Will these fit on a 16" Mid Length (light weight) BCM upper?

DaBears_85
04-08-10, 04:37
No, those are for a carbine length gas system.

B52U
04-08-10, 10:10
Fairly new to AR's so I have to ask, are these good rails? I have a set of Omega's on my go to rifle but another one has UTG's on it. Don't ask, cheap and a weak moment! I was thinking I would get some Troy's for it but these look pretty nice, I just don't know much about them. This gun will probably be going to the boy, and he wants something close to what he is using now in Iraq. Thanks for any answers.

Alan

KAC rails were standard issue when I was deployed to Iraq in 2005. They are good and solid for mounting accessories other than optics (since they aren't a free float rail).

E53001
04-08-10, 16:36

yea, but thats going through ebay, where you trust the sellers word, this is from KAC direct so you know your getting exactly what you want and pay for

glock281
04-08-10, 18:24
yea, but thats going through ebay, where you trust the sellers word, this is from KAC direct so you know your getting exactly what you want and pay for

I feel the same way, I once purchased an "Eotech" on ebay only to get it and find out it was a knock off (had red/green dots lol)
They seller refunded all my money if I didn't post negative on him (I haven't used ebay since)

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 20:45

We have factory seconds and do ship to CA. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=RAS-BLEM

C4

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 20:50

Alan

They are very good rails, but are not Free Floating (like the DD Omega's).

Here is a pic of the ones we sell from the current DoD contract holder. The anodizing is perfect and the "blem" is a rivet holding the heat shield in that is not perfectly installed. That's it!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Daniel%20Defense/16_Pencil_RAS.jpg

C4

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 20:51
Will these fit on a 16" Mid Length (light weight) BCM upper?

NO.

C4

glock281
04-08-10, 22:32

C4

Cool of you guys to sell them the same as KAC. Some places are trying to charge more then getting them directly. LOL

That makes happy and loyal customers.

markm
04-08-10, 23:28

I want one of those licenced versions for the collection. :cool:

uniform64
04-09-10, 00:42

C4

So are these from KAC?

thanks

C4IGrant
04-09-10, 08:17
So are these from KAC?

thanks

No. KAC no longer holds the .Mil contract. These are from the current contract holder.

C4

glock281
04-09-10, 10:36
No. KAC no longer holds the .Mil contract. These are from the current contract holder.

C4

So who is the new Mil contract holder? (the MFG of these?) are they marked in anyway (MFG, NSN, etc..)

C4IGrant
04-09-10, 11:06
So who is the new Mil contract holder? (the MFG of these?) are they marked in anyway (MFG, NSN, etc..)

P&S is the company.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR_Gear/RAS.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR_Gear/RAS1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR_Gear/RAS2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR_Gear/RAS3.jpg

uniform64
04-10-10, 00:10
Grant,
Thanks for the great pics. Interesting info. So who owns the patent if there is one?
Who then is KAC making their RAS for? Civilians?
Is the quality the same? They look it.

thanks

confused in CA ;)

markm
04-10-10, 08:49
Grant,
Thanks for the great pics. Interesting info. So who owns the patent if there is one?

thanks

confused in CA ;)

There was someone on TOS posting as a rep of KAC who claimed that the P&S units made in Texas were licenced. The question came up when a dude in Iraq got a shipment of them and wondered what the deal was.

C4IGrant
04-10-10, 08:56
Grant,

thanks

confused in CA ;)

The Govt has the TDP (which they purchased from KAC). The Patent still belongs to KAC.

KAC still sells to the Govt, Civy's, LE, etc.

C4

C4IGrant
04-10-10, 08:58
There was someone on TOS posting as a rep of KAC who claimed that the P&S units made in Texas were licenced. The question came up when a dude in Iraq got a shipment of them and wondered what the deal was.

To my knowledge, they are made in KY.

Licensed isn't quite right. The Govt bought the TDP and then did an open bid. P&S won it and now produces the rails for the Govt.

C4

Quib
04-12-10, 16:24
My KAC RAS arrived today. Only thing out of the norm, was the rail indexing. R28-R14, is on the left. L28-L14, is on the right.

Zanshin
04-16-10, 18:29
Received my RAS today. Some scuffs but nothing horrible. I think the numbering is okay (i covered them up with the rail covers).

Note to users: put the covers on BEFORE you install the top rail on an M4 with standard FSB setup. I had to remove the rail to install the cover on the side of the barrel with the sling swivel. Not a big deal but I hate messing with the barrel nut.

Dom

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/dzafonte/LittleDom3Weeks088.jpg

III
04-16-10, 18:44
You should never put a rail panel on the top rail. It blocks the heat and is not possible to remove if you need to mount something.

Zanshin
04-16-10, 22:55
I was referring to the left side rail. I was able to slide the covers on the right side and bottom rail from the front. However, I could not slide the left side cover from the front because of the sling swivel. From the rear the barrel nut is in the way.

Not a big deal though because it is a drop in rail so I uninstalled it and slid the cover on before reinstalling it.

Thanks for the info about the top rail though. I have never tried putting a rail cover on a top rail but at some point I probably would have :rolleyes:.

You can see what I mean from the picture below. The rail cover is blocked on one side by the barrel nut and the other by the sling swivel.

This rail feels really tight once installed.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/dzafonte/LittleDom3Weeks092.jpg

uniform64
04-16-10, 23:49
Is there a limitation on what barrel contour you can use with this RAS, KAC or otherwise?

thanks

KevinB
04-19-10, 11:49
KAC gave/sold the TDP to the Army. The Army competed the contract and P&S won on cost.
P&S can sell to the Army and to Colt for US ARMY weapons ONLY.
Any sales to civilians, other US Military entities, or Foreign Orders are outside the contract, and forbiden.

We still sell a number of M4 RAS to both the Military and Colt, as well as the M5 RAS, and M4 RIS systems.

You can use any government profile barrel on a RAS, and you can use any government profile barrel on a RIS.
The "heavy" barrel designs that are thicker than the Colt RO921HB barrel on the M4A1HB may not allow for enough room between the handguard retaining cap.

uniform64
04-19-10, 11:55
KAC gave/sold the TDP to the Army. The Army competed the contract and P&S won on cost.

P&S can sell to the Army and to Colt for US ARMY weapons ONLY.
Any sales to civilians, other US Military entities, or Foreign Orders are outside the contract, and forbiden.

We still sell a number of M4 RAS to both the Military and Colt, as well as the M5 RAS, and M4 RIS systems.

Thanks for the info KevinB.
As for my question above, will these fit a 16" colt HBAR BBL?

thanks

Frens
04-19-10, 12:13
Thanks for the info KevinB.
As for my question above, will these fit a 16" colt HBAR BBL?

thanks

yes,

I have a KAC RAS on my 6721 ;)