PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe's 'Pedal Vision'

perna
04-04-10, 22:26
http://www.policeone.com/corrections/articles/2033606-Sheriff-Joes-Pedal-Vision-will-combat-inmate-obesity/

Sheriff Joe's 'Pedal Vision' will combat inmate obesityProgram only runs in female tents, but will be extended to male inmates soon

By PoliceOne Staff

Trouble viewing the video? Download Flash player here

MARICOPA COUNTY, Ariz. — According to local news reports, Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced a new program where inmates must pedal on exercise bicycles to watch television shows.

The Arizona Republic reports that the inmates must pedal on bikes that generate 12 volts, enough electrical current to power a 19-inch tube television, at the Tent City viewing area. Currently the program is only in place for female inmates, but if the program is successful it will be extended to the men’s tents as well. If an inmate pedals on the bicycle for an hour, she can watch television for an hour as well.

Sheriff Arpaio claims that half of his inmates are unhealthy and overweight, according to MyFoxPhoenix.com. The “Pedal Vision” program is his solution to fix that problem.

"We're going to do the best we can in our jail system to help the inmates lose weight, and at the same time, give them the luxury of watching whatever they want to watch on television," says Sheriff Joe.

pilotguyo540
04-04-10, 22:48
God bless that man! If my wife ever gets fat, I will get her one of these brilliant contraptions. He is my hero!!!

azidpa
04-04-10, 23:27
you can have him!

nolacopusmc
04-04-10, 23:36
you can have him!

What is so bad about him?

azidpa
04-04-10, 23:56
lets start with ,

firing his SWAT Team after they supported his opponent in the last election

long term battle with the county board of supervisors

arresting a BoS member after a judge threw out the original case

grand standing media whore, easy to go for the soundbites and leave the outstanding felony warrants alone

don't believe the hype

m4fun
04-04-10, 23:57
I assume bad press, but still - inmates should earn their internment - my view.

nolacopusmc
04-05-10, 00:08
lets start with ,

grand standing media whore, easy to go for the soundbites and leave the outstanding felony warrants alone

don't believe the hype

Fair enough, but you got to admit, his overall theme of how he runs the inmates is refreshing given today's political climate.

skyugo
04-05-10, 00:21
I assume bad press, but still - inmates should earn their internment - my view.

sounds good to me..
might take a little of the fight out of em too.

i don't really see why we can't put some of the more minor offenders to work. if the idea is to bring em back into society they gotta learn to earn their keep.

the Bamster
04-05-10, 08:42
Do we really want inmates released from jail with massive legs to kick you with?

Irish
04-05-10, 10:05
Fair enough, but you got to admit, his overall theme of how he runs the inmates is refreshing given today's political climate.

Many of these people haven't had their day in court and have not been convicted of being guilty. Innocent until proven guilty and they should be treated that way. Arpaio is a media whore who is a semi-celebrity and that's all he really strives to be. His attention getting grand standing is only for his ego and not the citizens of Maricopa County. Apparently he keeps getting re-elected but I still think he's a dickhead.

Spiffums
04-05-10, 13:27
lets start with ,

don't believe the hype

As to the Firing his SWAT Team............. if they were stupid enough to publicly take a stand and weren't Civil Service.... well that just the way the cards fall in EVERY county/city department.

If your job depends on the outcome of an election..... vote how you want to but keep your mouth shut in public. Don't give them a reason to fire you.

I honestly thought everyone knew about this aspect of CYA.... that is why Civil Service is a good thing for rank and file in departments.

CarlosDJackal
04-05-10, 13:42
While I do not live in AZ and I may not always approve of his methods, I've always supported the treatment he's given those prisoners. Prison is not supposed to be a vacation. Prison should be as uncomfortable as possible so that those who serve their term will think twice before they take some sort of action that could land them back in prison.

If you were in his shoes, would you trust members of your department that openly supported your opponent during your re-election? IMHO, nobody in uniform should openly support one side or the other during an election.

The smarter move would have been for these guys to stay "neutral" and vote as they saw fit.

This is nothing new. I don't know of very many Sheriffs who do not end up butting heads with the Board of Supervisors. This is why in some cases the BoS started a Police Department. They like the ability to hire and fire a Police Chief - something they cannot do with a Sheriff.

Not familiar enough to comment one way or another.

Sheriffs are political animals. The only chance that they have to keep their jobs is to "grandstand" and let those who voted them in that they are keeping their campaign promises. It is their report card.

Think about it this way, if you worked at a job where you had to campaign to keep your job every 4 years, don't you think that tooting your own horn as often as possible makes a lot of sense? Especially in Law Enforcement where no matter what you do, the majority of the people may or may not support your decisions. JM2CW.

Irish
04-05-10, 13:46
While I do not live in AZ and I may not always approve of his methods, I've always supported the treatment he's given those prisoners. Prison is not supposed to be a vacation. Prison should be as uncomfortable as possible so that those who serve their term will think twice before they take some sort of action that could land them back in prison.

Carlos - Arpaio is in control of the Maricopa County Jail, not a prison, there is a huge difference.

armakraut
04-05-10, 16:58
Two words.

Half Rations.

Irish
04-05-10, 17:05
What is so bad about him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26cQaHbYxs&playnext_from=TL&videos=etdlqnQ_wrI

mr_smiles
04-05-10, 17:53
Maybe it's me, but I find it hypocritical when a fat ass has issues with obesity...

-gary
04-05-10, 18:32
I've never been crazy about everything he does outside of the jails, but he's on the right track on the inside. He is pompous and a big time dickhead, but he's the only one at least pretending to do anything in that state.

azidpa
04-05-10, 22:23
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/05/20100405joe-arpaio-jail-health-care.html

Judge denies Arpaio's attempt to take over jail health care
21 commentsby Yvonne Wingett - Apr. 5, 2010 05:11 PM
The Arizona Republic .

A Maricopa County Superior Court judge on Monday dismissed Sheriff Joe Arpaio's attempt to take control of the department that provides health care to inmates.

Arpaio last year sued the Board of Supervisors and county administrators, saying they mismanaged the agency.

Judge Robert Oberbillig granted the county's motion to dismiss.

Arpaio said he would appeal the decision and take the fight to federal court.

The suit is the latest in a string of legal losses by Arpaio and County Attorney Andrew Thomas against the supervisors. Thomas stepped down as county attorney Monday to run for higher office.

Disputes among county officials over the past year and a half have cost taxpayers at least $3.2 million through March 15, according to an Arizona Republic analysis.

This lawsuit cost at least $61,000 as of mid-March, mostly for in fees for attorneys hired by the board to defend itself.

"It's good news that the courts recognize that the lawsuit never should've been filed in the first place," said board attorney Wade Swanson. "If the sheriff was really interested in improving the jails, he would've spent less money on attorneys and more money on actual improvements. It's ultimately another unfortunate waste of taxpayer dollars by the sheriff."

Arpaio filed the suit last fall. The claim alleged, among other things, that Correctional Health Services administrators encouraged the Sheriff's Office to temporarily increase staff in certain wards to appease auditors from the system's accrediting agency.

In October 2008, U.S. District Judge Neil V. Wake determined that care in the jails was unconstitutional, and that same month, auditors pulled accreditation in the jails.

Since 1998, the county has paid $13 million in legal fees, settlements and jury verdicts to inmates and their families for injury and death claims against Correctional Health Services.

With a budget of about $50 million, Correctional Health Services treats the sick and injured, tracks medical conditions, and prevents diseases inside of the county's six jail facilities. About 130,000 inmates move through the system each year.

Mjolnir
04-06-10, 09:18
http://www.policeone.com/corrections/articles/2033606-Sheriff-Joes-Pedal-Vision-will-combat-inmate-obesity/
Maybe all TV sets should operate that way! :D Seriously, have a capacitor bank that requires one minute of pedaling to 10 minutes of viewing but one could be able to program it to less "efficiency" (1 minute of pedaling for 1 minute of viewing, etc.).

I don't like much of what he does (they are humans, afterall) but this one is superb. May God bless the man in this endeavor!!