PDA

View Full Version : RCS question...

Selftest
04-05-10, 04:31
I am looking into purchasing a few different Raven Concealment holsters. Due to the long wait time (thanks Magpul...), I will actually be purchasing a holster for a gun I do not own yet (M&P 9, full size).

Here's the question...

Will the light-compatable model provide adequate retention without a light equiped? When I do purchase the M&P, I probably will not have the available funds to get a light at that very moment, but I would like to have a holster and mags at the very least, and the light would come shortly thereafter.

Also, as a side note, but still related, will a 1911 light compatable holster retain a 1911 without a light affixed? I only differentiate because of the slimmer profile of the 1911. I would like to buy one holster for each gun that can fill all roles (I know, crazy) but the 1911 will not be recieving a Dawson rail for quite some time yet...

Thanks!

operator81
04-05-10, 04:37
The Ravens (and most tac light holsters for that matter) need the light attached to retain the weapon. If you think about it, light is the widest part when the weapon/light are in the holster together, so the holster is holding more onto the light then your weapon. When you remove the light, the weapon is able to rock backwards and jiggle around due to the void left by the light.

1911sforever
04-05-10, 09:17
Buy spare parts when you order the holster.

Magsz
04-05-10, 13:33
If you're just standing there and working on drawing from the holster then you can get away with not having the light attached.

If you're actually moving or doing anything other than standing still i would NOT recommend carrying a loaded pistol in an RCS holster without the light attached if that is the way the holster is set up.

Good luck with your purchase, you will love your new holster.

G34Shooter
04-05-10, 13:48
I am looking into purchasing a few different Raven Concealment holsters. Due to the long wait time (thanks Magpul...), I will actually be purchasing a holster for a gun I do not own yet (M&P 9, full size).

Here's the question...

Will the light-compatable model provide adequate retention without a light equiped? When I do purchase the M&P, I probably will not have the available funds to get a light at that very moment, but I would like to have a holster and mags at the very least, and the light would come shortly thereafter.

Also, as a side note, but still related, will a 1911 light compatable holster retain a 1911 without a light affixed? I only differentiate because of the slimmer profile of the 1911. I would like to buy one holster for each gun that can fill all roles (I know, crazy) but the 1911 will not be recieving a Dawson rail for quite some time yet...

Thanks!

I asked them this last week and they told me that it is not recommended to carry that way as I wanted to do the same thing.

Bowser
04-05-10, 13:50
Not to derail, but I have a newb question about the RCS holster too. Does it allow you to wear it OWB and IWB?

Sam
04-05-10, 13:56
Not to derail, but I have a newb question about the RCS holster too. Does it allow you to wear it OWB and IWB?

Yes, if you order the option IWB attachments, they have several. You just remove the standard belt slots and attach the IWB clips/loops/straps.