PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in the Atlanta area

subzero
04-05-10, 09:20
So I'll be attending a work related class near Atlanta next week. I imagine I'll have time to do stuff during off work hours...and I've never been to Atlanta for an extended period before.

The class is actually in Smyrna which, if memory serves, is the name that's on the side of my Glocks. Factory tour? Are there any other gun related things I could look up while I'm in the area?

If anyone has a recommendation for a place to eat or something to do, I'd love to hear it. I know I'm going to the Varsity for a chili dog or two.

JSantoro
04-05-10, 12:18
Try to see about going to the Tilted Kilt, which is actually in Smyrna, to the northwest of Atlanta by Dobbins AFB.

Like the Hooters across the street, the waitresses, uhhh...well, thank me later. Unlike Hooters, the food does not suck donkey schwanz.

Spiffums
04-05-10, 13:24
You mean besides raped, robbed, shoot at and generally abused by the criminal element?

Or is that Memphis...........

littleshoe
04-05-10, 13:43
If your into Electronics I recommend going and seeing Fry's Electronics. Its a huge west coast electronics store and the only one that I know on the east coast.

rljatl
04-05-10, 13:46
How far from Smyrna are you willing to travel?

Adventure Outdoors is an OK gun store that is in Smyrna.
http://www.adventureoutdoors.us/

Glock's USA headquarters is in Smyrna, but I have never been there. I have heard that they will work on your gun while you wait. Give them a call.

Pappadeaux's is a pretty good seafood restaurant:
Pappadeaux (Marietta)
2830 Windy Hill Rd.
Marietta, GA 30067
(770) 984-8899

I was underwhelmed with the aquarium.

Braves game?

If you're into Southern civil war stuff, Stone Mountain and the Cyclorama are worth seeing. Stone Mountain used to have a small civil war era gun collection. However, political correctness may have shut that down.
http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/

There are various gun clubs around that always have Saturday shoots, but they are not necessarily close to Smyrna.

I'll add to this if I think of anything else.

Avenger29
04-05-10, 15:08
I spent last New Years in ATL.

I think the aquarium and the Coca Cola museums are still kinda cool places to visit. Although they are a bit high priced...I still enjoyed it. I was hoping there was more to it than what it had, unfortunately.

I also liked the Southeastern Railways Museum. It's a bit of ways from the main city, though.

JOHNO
04-05-10, 15:21
If you like Seafood and atmosphere I highly recommend Spondivits,

http://www.facebook.com/SpondivitsATL

Count Chocula
04-05-10, 20:45
I hear the dog fighting down there is second to none.

rljatl
04-05-10, 20:58
Not any more. It's moved to Philly, PA.

subzero
04-05-10, 21:21
I'd like to thank the helpful suggestions so far.

Unfortunately, the Braves are out of town most of the week, but I'll definitely try and catch the Friday game. ETA: bummer, looks like hockey closes out right before I get there.

I really want to go by the Glock HQ, but I have no idea if there's anything more there than offices and such. It's less than 3 miles from the location of my class though. I see quite a few gun shops on the map. Go figure, isn't Kennesaw the town that said everyone has to own a gun?

I have to go to the places Adam went to on Man vs Food also, but I won't be doing any challenges. Unless the challenge is to enjoy delicious chicken and waffles!

HeavyDuty
04-05-10, 21:24
Ippolito's in Kennesaw.

Get a slaw dog at Varsity, preferably at 2AM.

Taqueria del Sol, any location. Non-traditional Mexican.

Do you like sushi? RuSan's in Kennesaw has really good all you can eat sushi Wednesday and Thursday nights.

HeavyDuty
04-05-10, 21:24
Oh, and you have to at least drive by the Big Chicken. It's the law, and everything on the NW side of Atlanta seems to be measured from there.

jaxman7
04-05-10, 22:42
If you are interested in marine biology at all check out the aquarium. It is very impressive. Also just northeast of Atlanta check a place called Stone Mountain. If you like the outdoors and good scenery, its the place to go around Atlanta. Not to mention Atlanta has a Bass Pro Shops near Buckhead. Always fun to visit/blow money.

littleshoe
04-06-10, 00:35
Oh, and you have to at least drive by the Big Chicken. It's the law, and everything on the NW side of Atlanta seems to be measured from there.

The Original Chick Fila is located just north of ATL airport. Down on the south side of atlanta you can goto the "Dwarf Houses" where you can order chick fila as if you were in a normal restaurant.

ChuckTShoes
04-06-10, 04:52
You mean besides raped, robbed, shoot at and generally abused by the criminal element?

Or is that Memphis...........

Both, Atlanta is just a supersized version of Memphis. Take extra mags.

NMBigfoot02
04-06-10, 08:12
Both, Atlanta is just a supersized version of Memphis. Take extra mags.

Unlike Memphis, Atlanta has some nice areas ;)

Mjolnir
04-06-10, 09:10
ANYwhere is okay in Buckhead. Also, visit Georgia Tech's campus while you're there. Stone Mountain is nice but the surrounding neighborhoods were deteriorating when I was there. Kennesaw is nice but far (relatively speaking). Traffic is a bitch. Did I say traffic was a bitch? Remember that. If this doesn't sink in now feel free to start a thread when you get back home...

There are plenty of pricy bars, eateries, etc., in Buckhead and there is a nice mall (Lennox Mall). Goblins can be anywhere - especially in these troubled times. I'd advocate carrying any and everyhere you can - ANYWHERE in the USA.

Stay safe and enjoy!

karmapolice
04-06-10, 10:00
I would suggest if you are in Smyrna coming up north to Kennesaw/ Cobb county area. There is Big Pie in the Sky which is an awesome pizza place that was featured on Man vs Food. There is a new indoor range in Holly Springs that has Meggitt Defense range equipment and is owned by a state rep which is awesome. There are also some good Irish pubs, taco mac is always a good place, there is a tilted kilt up here too. I'd be more than happy to be a contact for you and show you some places, it's also with in the city law of Kennesaw that every home owner has to own a firearm.

ChuckTShoes
04-06-10, 10:08
Unlike Memphis, Atlanta has some nice areas ;)
Lol, we got nice areas, they are just smaller. :D

Be forewarned though, traffic is monstrous. I'd rather be taking fire from one of the local thugs than be caught in ATL rush hour traffic again.

rljatl
04-06-10, 10:17
If you are interested in marine biology at all check out the aquarium. It is very impressive. Also just northeast of Atlanta check a place called Stone Mountain. If you like the outdoors and good scenery, its the place to go around Atlanta. Not to mention Atlanta has a Bass Pro Shops near Buckhead. Always fun to visit/blow money.

Be prepared if going to Stone Mountain. It can be culture shock for those who have never been exposed to Southern rednecks.

Bass Pro Shop is no where near Buckhead. It is at least twenty miles up 85 North from Buckhead.

rljatl
04-06-10, 10:21
ANYwhere is okay in Buckhead. Also, visit Georgia Tech's campus while you're there. Stone Mountain is nice but the surrounding neighborhoods were deteriorating when I was there. Kennesaw is nice but far (relatively speaking). Traffic is a bitch. Did I say traffic was a bitch? Remember that. If this doesn't sink in now feel free to start a thread when you get back home...

There are plenty of pricy bars, eateries, etc., in Buckhead and there is a nice mall (Lennox Mall). Goblins can be anywhere - especially in these troubled times. I'd advocate carrying any and everyhere you can - ANYWHERE in the USA.

Stay safe and enjoy!

Most of the old bars that made Buckhead famous have been torn down. They plan to build a Rodeo Drive/designer row type of area, but it has been put on hold due to the bad economy.

Perimeter Mall is much nicer than Lenox these days. Lots of riff raff at Lenox Square.

If you want to see what a real high-end gun store looks like, be sure to check out Chuck's Firearms in Buckhead. If you don't see something you're interested in, be sure to ask. Jack probably has it or knows where to get it. Also, next door to it is the Fishhawk, a great fishing store.

http://www.chucksfirearms.com/

rljatl
04-06-10, 10:28
Best authentic peasant Mexican food - is on Chattahoochee Blvd at a place called, Nuevo Loredo. The brisket and spinach salad is great.
http://www.nuevolaredocantina.com/home.php

Best Tex-Mex food - is on Peachtree at a restaurant called Uncle Julio's.
http://www.unclejulios.com/locations.html#atlanta

OK Cafe - Go to the Take Out area in back of the restaurant. Great veggies. They have about four bars stools there where you can eat. Careful though, they charge by weight.
http://www.okcafe.com/

Mjolnir
04-06-10, 22:55
Most of the old bars that made Buckhead famous have been torn down. They plan to build a Rodeo Drive/designer row type of area, but it has been put on hold due to the bad economy.

Perimeter Mall is much nicer than Lenox these days. Lots of riff raff at Lenox Square.

If you want to see what a real high-end gun store looks like, be sure to check out Chuck's Firearms in Buckhead. If you don't see something you're interested in, be sure to ask. Jack probably has it or knows where to get it. Also, next door to it is the Fishhawk, a great fishing store.

http://www.chucksfirearms.com/
That's most unfortunate: the bars being gone and the goblins... I remember Perimeter Mall but only went there once. Is Roswell Guns still in business?

rljatl
04-06-10, 23:35
No, Roswell Guns is not in business anymore. Tucker Gun is, but under a new name and owner.

David's Gunroom is still in business.

jaxman7
04-07-10, 07:45
Be prepared if going to Stone Mountain. It can be culture shock for those who have never been exposed to Southern rednecks.

Bass Pro Shop is no where near Buckhead. It is at least thirty miles up 85 North from Buckhead.

I stand corrected about Bass Pro. Its been a few years since I was in that area. Used to go up there a bunch when I was at Benning.

HES
04-08-10, 20:06
My kids saw it for the first time last September. They named him Bob.

Oh and has anyone mentioned grabbing a bite to eat at the Varsity diner?

Oh and another vote for Buckhead if your bank account is large enough.

exkc135driver
04-11-10, 19:09
Sub-Z,

Tastes vary, so my choices might not appeal to you, but …

Forget about a ‘Glock factory’ tour. Security is tight, and visitors aren’t exactly welcomed with open arms. At a minimum, call ahead.

Buckhead used to be a trendy, hip area for yuppies. But the bars have mostly been torn down and are in the process of being replaced by yet more highrises. As with Lenox Square, the untied-basketball-shoes-and-baggy-jeans-wearing, baseball-cocked-at-some-strange-angle set has discovered it. Besides, unless you’re from East Podunk, a mall is a mall is a mall. I’d go to Perimeter Mall instead (plus, there is an REI only a block or two away).

If you enjoy Thai food, good restaurants abound. My favorites are Top Spice (one is located near Cumberland Mall, which is a big mall at the intersection of Cobb Parkway/US 41 and I-285 more-or-less near Smyrna) and Little Bangkok, but there aren’t any really bad ones.

If you like Indian food, my all-time favorite (in CONUS at least) is Swapna, located at 2655 Cobb Parkway maybe half or ¾ of a mile north of Cumberland Mall. They have an excellent lunch buffet which I highly recommend. (The butter chicken is superb. Everything else is merely outstanding.)

Also, visit Georgia Tech's campus while you're there

Emory University (in Druid Hills which, if you are interested in such things, was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead) is waaaay nicer. Not to knock the North Avenue Trade School, but Emory is in a much nicer area.

Stone Mountain is nice but the surrounding neighborhoods were deteriorating when I was there.

Still true.

Maybe it’s just me, but in my opinion the OK Café is aptly named. It’s OK, as in ‘mediocre.’

The Dogwood Festival will be at Piedmont Park (Piedmont Road at 10th/14th Streets, 1 block SE of Peachtree) from Friday the 16th through Sunday. That’s where I’ll be.

Enjoy our fair city, and don't let the traffic get to ya.

l3mon
04-11-10, 20:31
I would suggest if you are in Smyrna coming up north to Kennesaw/ Cobb county area. There is Big Pie in the Sky which is an awesome pizza place that was featured on Man vs Food. There is a new indoor range in Holly Springs that has Meggitt Defense range equipment and is owned by a state rep which is awesome. There are also some good Irish pubs, taco mac is always a good place, there is a tilted kilt up here too. I'd be more than happy to be a contact for you and show you some places, it's also with in the city law of Kennesaw that every home owner has to own a firearm.

Big Pie in the Sky get my vote, best 30" pizza ever.. lol!

coke museum, always meant to go see the glock factory before i left.. never did tho..

NMBigfoot02
04-11-10, 20:55
Emory University (in Druid Hills which, if you are interested in such things, was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead) is waaaay nicer. Not to knock the North Avenue Trade School, but Emory is in a much nicer area.

In all honesty, as someone who went to Tech, the campus is just ok. The older east campus side is prettier than the west, but be sure to carry a sharp stick with you if you go, as the homeless crackheads abound.

If you want to see a beautiful campus, you should swing by Agnes Scott in Decatur. They've used a lot of the buildings there in various movies/TV shows, so you might recognize it.

DaBears_85
04-12-10, 01:56
The Pink Pony South gentleman's club has some pretty cute chicks.

l3mon
04-12-10, 02:01
oh and if your short on money and want lunch go to ikea.. sounds funny but its the best 50 cent hotdog around, and the cinn. rolls are wicked awesome.

and they got cool furniture

Mjolnir
04-12-10, 07:23
I am now depressed. I had good memories of ATL... Well, there were "alternative lifestylers" galore, high crime and too many nude bars but everything else seemed fine from a GT grad school student's perspective. ATL was where it became obvious what it is to be Southern having spent the previous two years "in the Nawth" it was a welcome "home" so it's highly probable that I wore rose colored glasses while there. Sigh...

rljatl
04-12-10, 16:32
Sub-Z,
If you enjoy Thai food, good restaurants abound. My favorites are Top Spice (one is located near Cumberland Mall, which is a big mall at the intersection of Cobb Parkway/US 41 and I-285 more-or-less near Smyrna) and Little Bangkok, but there aren’t any really bad ones.

If you like Indian food, my all-time favorite (in CONUS at least) is Swapna, located at 2655 Cobb Parkway maybe half or ¾ of a mile north of Cumberland Mall. They have an excellent lunch buffet which I highly recommend. (The butter chicken is superb. Everything else is merely outstanding.)

Maybe it’s just me, but in my opinion the OK Café is aptly named. It’s OK, as in ‘mediocre.’

Personally, I avoid Cobb County and the entire I-75 corridor, if at all possible. But, to each his own.

I know some people don't like OK Cafe. However, I never eat in the restaurant, only the take out area. I think the veggies are great. If you go to Agnes Scott, be sure to try Our Way Cafe. Even better, fresher veggies than OK Cafe. However, don't bother trying to talk to the "Agnes Snotties."

subzero
04-12-10, 16:47
Enjoy our fair city, and don't let the traffic get to ya.

Holy crap. I didn't get more than 5 miles away from the training site today during lunch, and it seemed like I was in traffic for 40 minutes. It's like Hampton Roads, but with hills. I don't get it, you guys don't have bridges and tunnels to mess everything up, what the heck is going on?

I finally checked in to my hotel (only 20 hours late, no biggie) and once I recuperate, I'm going out.

Thanks again for the great suggestions fellas.

PT Doc
04-12-10, 19:05
Holy crap. I didn't get more than 5 miles away from the training site today during lunch, and it seemed like I was in traffic for 40 minutes. It's like Hampton Roads, but with hills. I don't get it, you guys don't have bridges and tunnels to mess everything up, what the heck is going on?

Too many damn yankees (northeners who stayed) and folks from out of town who don't know where they're going. :D

Enjoy your stay bro.

JHC
04-12-10, 19:32
The Glock factory does not to my knowledge do tours but they will give your Glock a complete overhaul with their "inspect and upgrade" service. I sat in their small lobby leafing through the Glock annual magazine for 40 minutes until they brought out two made-over 2nd gen G19 with a report that they replaced and upgraded almost everything but the frame, barrel and slide. Charge: $0.00.

Plenty of good suggestions. If you are hanging around through the weekend, the glorious River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville area has their "action pistol" match Saturday. This is our own informal version of a blend of IDPA and IPSC/USPSA. Minimum rules. Strict safety of course. $20.

If you find your way out there, I'll provide the G19, G17 or TRP (your choice) to shoot in it if you are not bringing anything along.

http://www.rbgc.org/

subzero
04-13-10, 16:40
Try to see about going to the Tilted Kilt, which is actually in Smyrna, to the northwest of Atlanta by Dobbins AFB.

Like the Hooters across the street, the waitresses, uhhh...well, thank me later. Unlike Hooters, the food does not suck donkey schwanz.

Thank you very much for this tip. This place is right around the corner from my hotel. Hot girls and a decent local brew on tap. I definitely prefer the eye candy there over any Hooters.

Get a slaw dog at Varsity, preferably at 2AM.

Hit it last night around 11. Yum.

JHC, thanks for the invite but I'm leaving Saturday morning. I think there's a match at Blackwater this weekend and it'd be awesome to get back in time for it.

JHC
04-16-10, 20:46
No, Roswell Guns is not in business anymore.

Not only not in business but owner went to prison for the shooting death of his wife. He claimed self defense. That she was crazy and took a shot at him first. A shocker there. He was all the fair dealin' gentleman with all my dealings with him.

elkknuckle
04-16-10, 21:11
The Pink Pony South gentleman's club has some pretty cute chicks.

hells yeah me and my boy went there one night when we were TAD!!

ICEPICK
04-16-10, 22:56
Try going to Fado's Irish pub in buckhead. Great place and good food.