PDA

View Full Version : KAC Handstop

No Bananas
04-05-10, 09:55
For those folks usin' the KAC Handstop, how do you like it? Any gripes?

Magic_Salad0892
04-05-10, 09:57
I have one, I like it, I like it a lot.

But, if you're going to get one, you might as well just get a Magpul AFG.

tiger seven
04-05-10, 11:46
I like mine very much. I use it in the manner shown above too. Have it on a DD Omega 7.0 on my LMT 10.5" upper. Works great!

Don't know how your weapon is set up, but I like the KAC handstop much better than the AFG on 7" rails. On a rail 9" or longer I think the AFG is fantastic.

Derek

Stickman
04-05-10, 11:56
I've run mine both directions, but I'm cradling it in between my fingers, so I thin I'm using it different than most people.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/IMG_0995-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/IMG_1015-A-1024-Stick.jpg

Jeep297
04-05-10, 12:29
I've got one and use it in a similar style to the pic you posted. I love it so much that I'm working on replacing all my VFGs with one.

thmpr
04-05-10, 12:30
How is it compared to the Magpul AFG?

pezboy
04-05-10, 13:00

The AFG forces you to hold the rifle in exactly that spot (or completely behind it if you have a long rail). The AFG also puts your hand at an angle. A handstop is more of a reference and something to push into or pull into. I like to use it at the front of my hand and push into it the same way I do with a slinged rifle. This allows me to grip the rifle anywhere else on the rail if I want to. It just depends on exactly how you hold the rifle and whether you want something to grab onto, pull into, or push into. The placement of your light or pressure switch might make you choose one or the other too. If you try out grabbing the rifle more on the bottom, side, and top you will see that certain ways fit your hand better than others.
Dustin

Magsz
04-05-10, 13:15
I didnt like my KAC handstop and sold it after only 300 rounds of use.

I didnt like how it wasnt flush with the rail. The little "hump" in front was just a nuisance when using it as a reference point and i didnt feel as though it really gave me any greater control of the weapon since there was no knurling or added grippiness on the front or rear face. I think this has something to do with the sloping angle of the dangle. All in all i thought it was a well put together piece but functionally it really did very little for me.

On the other hand, i find the Gear Sector handstop to be a great little piece albeit a bit expensive. The angle is perfect and doesnt allow the shooters hand to slip off of the hand rest portion of the stop. The gear sector stops can also be mounted in a non obtrusive manner on the 3 and 9 o'clock rails for added weapon control. The KAC product is just a tad too large for this.

Stickman
04-05-10, 13:16

Apples and oranges. The AFG is the first of its type, though I would guess we will see a lot of similar designs and releases at SHOT next year and other companies jump into similar ideas.

bubba04
04-05-10, 16:50
I like the idea of a the handstop. I wish someone would make a cheap polymer version of it.

pittbull
04-05-10, 16:59
I like the idea of a the handstop. I wish someone would make a cheap polymer version of it.

Click here (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/weapon-controls/)

EDIT, sorry, they're NOT polymer...

JTrusty
04-05-10, 17:26

For the record, we already have our handstop modeled for the injection molding
process. We even designed custom threaded inserts specifically for it and we are
ready to cut the tooling required to produce them. However, what you don't
realize are the costs involved to injection mold a part. You may want it "cheaper",
but cheaper equates to a huge increase in cost for the manufacturer. This cost
has to be able to be recouped from the sales of the part in question. If the
market demand isn't high enough to justify these costs, these is zero point in
moving forward.

The tooling alone will run you over 40k. Unless you offshore the tooling at a 40%
cost reduction and use lesser quality ( aluminum ) materials. Which of course will
drastically reduce the life of the tooling. Tooling, even well maintained has a finite
lifespan. The cost of the tooling has to be amortized into the equation as well.

So at 40k for the tooling, and lets just ballpark the retail of the part at $20 ( is
that cheap enough? ), you would have to sell 2,000 units just to recoup the cost
of the tooling alone. This of course doesn't account for the cost to produce the
2,000 units either or the amortization of the tooling itself.

See where I am going with this?

Just because you want something cheaper, doesn't always mean it can or should
be produced.

:)

Magsz
04-05-10, 17:37
Everyone always wants things "cheaper", im one of them however i put a desire to have a "better" product before price.

One great thing about buying weapon accessories is that for the most part alot of components like stocks, weapon controls, optics etc generally dont have a lifespan.

Ive been using certain stocks for well over ten years now and they're still working as well as they did from day one. Sure, they're beat up but on average, they cost me about 80 dollars. 80 dollars for ten years of use is pretty good in my book.

Parts like these handstops essentially have an infinite lifespan and can be moved from weapon to weapon without fear of losing zero or breaking the part.

Spending the dosh on a couple pieces of kit that will last a lifetime is well worth it in my opinion and im a broke college student and small business owner so its sometimes ramen noodles for a month if i want to buy ammo. :)

Yeah i know, my priorities are ass backwards...dont judge me. :D

bubba04
04-05-10, 19:14
I shouldn't have said cheaper, I should have worded what differently.

I don't want something "cheap", I want quality and if that means I have to pay twice as much, I will. I would rather pay for something to be manufactured without courners being cut and made in the USA then send my money over seas for something of equal or less quality.

For the record I think the price for yall's metal hand stop is a pretty fair price.

Will a polymer version go into production?

process. We even designed custom threaded inserts specifically for it and we are
realize are the costs involved to injection mold a part. You may want it "cheaper",
moving forward.

The tooling alone will run you over 40k. Unless you offshore the tooling at a 40%
cost reduction and use lesser quality ( aluminum ) materials. Which of course will
drastically reduce the life of the tooling. Tooling, even well maintained has a finite
lifespan. The cost of the tooling has to be amortized into the equation as well.

So at 40k for the tooling, and lets just ballpark the retail of the part at $20 ( is
that cheap enough? ), you would have to sell 2,000 units just to recoup the cost
of the tooling alone. This of course doesn't account for the cost to produce the

be produced.

till44
04-06-10, 13:36
For me the KAC handstop works best where you do not have the option to completely extend your support arm, for my rifles that have the longer forends, the AFG is ideal for me. I have teh KAC handstop on an 11.5 upper and it's great, I place it between my ring and pinkie finger which allows me to pull the weapon into my shoulder. My only complaint is the slick surface. I have placed grip tape on it, but it eventually gets ripped off. A polymer handstop that could be stipled would be a big improvment.

vicious_cb
04-06-10, 17:57
moving forward.

be produced.

I would be interested in a polymer version :)

bubba04
04-06-10, 18:03
I like the idea of it being stippled.

JonnyVain
04-06-10, 21:24
I would be interested in a polymer version :)

At half the price of AL, I would too.

jjw
04-06-10, 22:34

some one does make a polymer 1 ergo grips

u can get it form brownells about20.00+/-
i have 1 have not had time to play with it. the fron needs some work to smooth out. need to find a belt sander.

good luck

bubba04
04-07-10, 05:52
some one does make a polymer 1 ergo grips

u can get it form brownells about20.00+/-
i have 1 have not had time to play with it. the fron needs some work to smooth out. need to find a belt sander.

good luck

Can you post the link, I cant find it. Thanks.

DJK
04-07-10, 06:20
Can you post the link, I cant find it. Thanks.

Is this it? http://ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4202-BK&storeid=1&image=hndstops.gif&CFID=42151532&CFTOKEN=80923825

kdcgrohl
04-07-10, 10:33
I like mine.(KAC handstop)

akxx
04-07-10, 11:28
Is this it? http://ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4202-BK&storeid=1&image=hndstops.gif&CFID=42151532&CFTOKEN=80923825

http://ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4201-SS&storeid=1&image=surestop.gif&CFID=42156742&CFTOKEN=21685102

Not as clean-looking as others, but should create a reference point just fine.