PDA

View Full Version : Reloaded ammo = weak ammo = failures?

BMWguy206
04-05-10, 11:46
Hey guys!

I am still a bit new into the handgun area but I am having an issue with my Glock 35.

The first 50 rounds I fired had no issues with brand new factory ammo.

I then added a tungsten guide rod with a heavier recoil spring. The next 1000 rounds were all reloaded ammo. I then experienced 1 double feed every 20 or 30 rounds. At this point I was started to get a bit bummed out so decided to remove the tungsten guide rod with spring and put back the factory guide rod with stock spring.
No double feeds on the next 50 reloaded ammo. Problem solved.. or so I thought.

A few days later I attended my first pistol competition event only to have a FTF or double feed on every stage setup. Again this was on reloaded ammo but everything is stock now. My friend with a Glock 23 was using brand new factory ammo and had no issues.

Is it highly likely that what I'm experiencing is due to weak ammo because it's reloaded? I clean my Glock 35 after every time I am done shooting. The extractor has no damage. I used 4 different magazines which are only a month old.

In a way these failures kind of helped because now I can quickly identify the problem and correct it. Before it took me like 10 seconds to clear the problem. Now I got it down to around 3 seconds.

Here's a video of me shooting and I think the first failure was a jam or FTF. The 2nd one I think was a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZryKZoT0A

Here's the 2nd video when I experienced a double feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfO_0fJjx8

And please no comments about the "Glock being crappy or I shouldn't have gotten a Glock or should've gotten this or that."

Thanks!

MadDog
04-05-10, 13:07
Remanufactured ammo doesn't automatically = weak ammo. Some are very hot. Whenever you make big changes like replacing the recoil spring and using a different guide rod you should always test with ammo and mags you are sure your gun functions 100% with. Now you don't know if your problem is from under poweered ammo or the spring and guide rod change.

MadDog

John_Wayne777
04-05-10, 14:03
You may not be happy to hear this, but .40 caliber Glocks are notorious for having issues with double-feeding, especially with a mounted light. For starters, take a look at this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788

The generation 4 Glocks have some changes that are designed primarily to solve the issues that have plagued .40 caliber Glocks over the years. Others who are more competent to speak to these issues will hopefully be along shortly...but keep an open mind and be willing to trade that gun in on a gun that works if it comes to that. Some specimens of .40 Glock don't ever seem to be reliable no matter what their owner or Glock tries to do to them.

My suggestion in the meantime is to buy a large quantity of factory ammo (500 or more rounds) and to shoot that through your pistol. If it feeds 500-1,000 rounds of factory ammo with no problems and then chokes like the Chicago Bears in a playoff game with reloads, you have your answer. If it continues to malfunction no matter what ammo you feed it, start looking for a way to unload that gun and get one that works.

four
04-05-10, 16:14
you say reloaded.
you don't say who reloaded it. if it's yours or a friends, then yes, it could be a light load. Start with the data you used and see how close it is to minimum load.

if it's commercial reloads then the only way to tell for sure if the ammo is weak is running it over a chronograph.

BMWguy206
04-05-10, 17:27
you say reloaded.
you don't say who reloaded it. if it's yours or a friends, then yes, it could be a light load. Start with the data you used and see how close it is to minimum load.

if it's commercial reloads then the only way to tell for sure if the ammo is weak is running it over a chronograph.

Commercial reloads.

BMWguy206
04-05-10, 17:28
You may not be happy to hear this, but .40 caliber Glocks are notorious for having issues with double-feeding, especially with a mounted light. For starters, take a look at this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788

The generation 4 Glocks have some changes that are designed primarily to solve the issues that have plagued .40 caliber Glocks over the years. Others who are more competent to speak to these issues will hopefully be along shortly...but keep an open mind and be willing to trade that gun in on a gun that works if it comes to that. Some specimens of .40 Glock don't ever seem to be reliable no matter what their owner or Glock tries to do to them.

My suggestion in the meantime is to buy a large quantity of factory ammo (500 or more rounds) and to shoot that through your pistol. If it feeds 500-1,000 rounds of factory ammo with no problems and then chokes like the Chicago Bears in a playoff game with reloads, you have your answer. If it continues to malfunction no matter what ammo you feed it, start looking for a way to unload that gun and get one that works.

Thanks for the link.